FAQ for the 3D HTPC - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #631 of 1533 Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
are those side-by-side 3d from MKV files considered real 3d?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1533 Old 03-20-2011, 03:52 AM

Yes > two separate images for both eyes.
post #633 of 1533 Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post
OK, it's up to you but we were speaking on real 3D watching ways over HTPCs.
It's not related with any brand of VGA card or anything else.
FYI.
Ok I still need to keep reading. At this point the only real 3d is blu ray discs right? And maybe some broadcast tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Actually, 3D gaming is entirely different from 'fake' 3d movies and the 2D->3D mode on your TV. Since it's rendering the visuals real time, they can have a second image rendered as well for 'true' 3D. It's more like how Pixar was able to re-render Toy Story 1 and 2 in 3D than it is like Clash of the Titans doing a post-process conversion or the 3D conversion mode on your TV.
Oh I see, well that does make a difference. Are you talking about a 3d game? Or whatever nvidia 3d play can do?
post #634 of 1533 Old 03-20-2011, 10:00 PM

I just built an HTPC with an i3 2100 CPU with an H67 motherboard to make use of the integrated GPU. I have the HTPC hooked up to my Pioneer 1120 hdmi 1.4 3d ready receiver, then out to my Samsung pn58c8000 plasma tv. I can't seem to get the 3d to "passthrough" the receiver to the tv. I am using TMT5 and it always makes the 3d into anagraph 3d. I've tried reading some of this thread, but there is a lot of talk of Nvidia this, ATI that, but does any of this correspond to the Sandy Bridge HTPC? Do I need Stereoscopic Player? Catalyst 11.2? Am I missing a driver or setup? Please help. Starting to loose hope.

By the way, this is my first build, and I'm pretty much a noob to computer construction. I greatly appreciate all the help you guys offer on this forum.
post #635 of 1533 Old 03-21-2011, 03:59 AM

Do you experience the same issue if you connect the HTPC directly to the TV? Bypassing the AVR?
post #636 of 1533 Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmani View Post

Do you experience the same issue if you connect the HTPC directly to the TV? Bypassing the AVR?

No, I can get it to work going directly to the tv. But I think it should also work through the AVR, as my 3d bluray player worked. I know its not the same thing but I only have one HDMI through the wall for the tv, so I need all the sources switched with the AVR.
post #637 of 1533 Old 03-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Hi,

I want some help, pls. I've read several posts, but I am a bit confused.

My configuration is:

- Dell Precision notebook, with a NVidia Quadra 770m video card with HDMI out
- A Buffalo external BD drive BR3D-12U3.
- PowerDVD 10.
- Plasma Samsung 3D TV 63C8000.

I've setup PowerDVD 10 to "autodetect" my display, I've played the 3D BD in full screen, but I'm only getting 2D image.

With my setup can I actually play the 3D BD? What settings am I missing so the image is 3D and the TV recognizes it to activate Samsung's glasses?

Thanks for any help.
post #638 of 1533 Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post

Hi,

I want some help, pls. I've read several posts, but I am a bit confused.

My configuration is:

- Dell Precision notebook, with a NVidia Quadra 770m video card with HDMI out
- A Buffalo external BD drive BR3D-12U3.
- PowerDVD 10.
- Plasma Samsung 3D TV 63C8000.

I've setup PowerDVD 10 to "autodetect" my display, I've played the 3D BD in full screen, but I'm only getting 2D image.

With my setup can I actually play the 3D BD? What settings am I missing so the image is 3D and the TV recognizes it to activate Samsung's glasses?

Thanks for any help.

This is from the first page.
Quote:

Which GPUs will support 3D TVs? I checked the NVIDIA website and Fermi 430 supports HDMI 1.4a.

Desktop GPU: Blu-ray 3D playback: Make sure your videocard has "PureVideo HD 4" or VP4. ATI videocards are not yet listed as to which one works.

GeForce GTX 480
GeForce GTX 470
GeForce GTX 465
GeForce GTX 460
GTS 450, GT 440 (October)
GT 430 (October)
GeForce GT 340
GeForce GT 320
GeForce GT 240 also supports VP4, but no HD audio bitstreaming.

Laptop GPUs:
GeForce GT 240 Notebook
GeForce GTS 360M
GeForce GTS 350M
GeForce GT 335M
GeForce GT 330M
GeForce GT 325M
GeForce GT 320M

post #639 of 1533 Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 PM

I've checked. My video card does support PureVideo HD. I assume it does not have HDMI 1.4a out, but I believe I've read elsewhere here that DVI is capable of sending the the BD 3D signal, thus I assumed my DisplayPort would also be capable. Am I wrong? How can the PS3 deliver these signals (it has HDMI 1.3, I believe, I have the pre-Slim one) with just a firmware update? These my assumptions, which of course migh be wrong. Pls advise.

Thanks for the help and clarifications.
post #640 of 1533 Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post

I've checked. My video card does support PureVideo HD. I assume it does not have HDMI 1.4a out, but I believe I've read elsewhere here that DVI is capable of sending the the BD 3D signal, thus I assumed my DisplayPort would also be capable. Am I wrong? How can the PS3 deliver these signals (it has HDMI 1.3, I believe, I have the pre-Slim one) with just a firmware update? These my assumptions, which of course migh be wrong. Pls advise.

Thanks for the help and clarifications.

Does yours have purevideo hd 4? I think they all have it but it has gone up over time. Sorry I'm new to all this 3d as well.
post #641 of 1533 Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfyter71 View Post

No, I can get it to work going directly to the tv. But I think it should also work through the AVR, as my 3d bluray player worked. I know its not the same thing but I only have one HDMI through the wall for the tv, so I need all the sources switched with the AVR.

Maybe your HTPC recognizes the AVR as a non-capable 3D device. This might have to do with EDID info. I'm not sure about the details, but there are some topics on these forums about cloning and altering EDID info > making the HTPC think it is connected directly to a 3D capable screen in stead of an AVR.
post #642 of 1533 Old 03-21-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Does yours have purevideo hd 4? I think they all have it but it has gone up over time. Sorry I'm new to all this 3d as well.

It seems it has only VP 2 (Purevideo 2). So I guess no 3D BD for me with this card, right?
post #643 of 1533 Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma957 View Post

Where do you see the option for 120Hz Time Sequential 3D? I'm trying to use a a Radeon 6850 with an Acer H5360. The only 3D options PowerDVD 10 gives me are Anaglyph, Checkerboard, Row-Interleaved, and NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready Monitor. I'm running PowerDVD 2429 and Catalyst 11.1.

Did you get an answer to this, I have nearly the same setup, (except I have a 6950) and have it working with 120HZ sequential on powerdvd 10, let me know if you need help. Its one of the options in the 3d control panel in powerdvd10.
post #644 of 1533 Old 03-21-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfyter71
I just built an HTPC with an i3 2100 CPU with an H67 motherboard to make use of the integrated GPU. I have the HTPC hooked up to my Pioneer 1120 hdmi 1.4 3d ready receiver, then out to my Samsung pn58c8000 plasma tv. I can't seem to get the 3d to "passthrough" the receiver to the tv. I am using TMT5 and it always makes the 3d into anagraph 3d. I've tried reading some of this thread, but there is a lot of talk of Nvidia this, ATI that, but does any of this correspond to the Sandy Bridge HTPC? Do I need Stereoscopic Player? Catalyst 11.2? Am I missing a driver or setup? Please help. Starting to loose hope.

By the way, this is my first build, and I'm pretty much a noob to computer construction. I greatly appreciate all the help you guys offer on this forum.
I actually have not heard of anyone doing blu-ray 3d with sandy bridge, however this article at pc world indicates that they did it using powerdvd 10 and a panasonic gt25 plasma:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/21782...dy_bridge.html
post #645 of 1533 Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclejim View Post
I actually have not heard of anyone doing blu-ray 3d with sandy bridge, however this article at pc world indicates that they did it using powerdvd 10 and a panasonic gt25 plasma:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/21782...dy_bridge.html
Dunno whether TMT5 or WinDVD10 supports sandy but i recommend you to use an external VGA card as always since all onboard stuff consumpts CPU...

Chronical Tester
post #646 of 1533 Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post
Dunno whether TMT5 or WinDVD10 supports sandy but i recommend you to use an external VGA card as always since all onboard stuff consumpts CPU...
I'm using an AMD solution myself, but the poster above may be interested in the article.
post #647 of 1533 Old 03-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

This is probably not what you want to hear, but get an HDMI splitter, and use a TOSLINK or S/Pdif cable to get sound from your HTPC sound card and connect the 3DBD player directly to the 2 into 1 HDMI splitter at the TV. OR, take a TOSLINK or S/Pdif cable and plug that to the output of the back of the TV and run this to the input of your AVR. It works great. I'm willing to wager you won't be able to tell the difference between prologic IIx (if your AVR supports it) and TrueHD. I know I can't. My AVR has Dolby Prologic IIx and I just found out that the (3D) HD HDMI capture card I installed last night was only outputting to 2 channels. Prologic IIx converted that to 7.1 and I thought it sounded great when I was playing my Xbox 360 3D game through the HTPC via the capture card.
post #648 of 1533 Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord View Post

This is probably not what you want to hear, but get an HDMI splitter, and use a TOSLINK or S/Pdif cable to get sound from your HTPC sound card and connect the 3DBD player directly to the 2 into 1 HDMI splitter at the TV. OR, take a TOSLINK or S/Pdif cable and plug that to the output of the back of the TV and run this to the input of your AVR. It works great. I'm willing to wager you won't be able to tell the difference between prologic IIx (if your AVR supports it) and TrueHD. I know I can't. My AVR has Dolby Prologic IIx and I just found out that the (3D) HD HDMI capture card I installed last night was only outputting to 2 channels. Prologic IIx converted that to 7.1 and I thought it sounded great when I was playing my Xbox 360 3D game through the HTPC via the capture card.

Definitely not what I wanted to hear. I went with the sandy bridge so I could do 3d with the integrated graphics (less heat and noise) not thinking about the edid issue with the receiver. I now it looks like I'm gonna have to go the discrete route with a Radeon 6xxx series. I would probably have had to go that route anyway, as I think I was noticing the 24p problem anyway. Just thought I would put it out there in case anyone one else
could be looking at the same issuses.
post #649 of 1533 Old 03-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Definitely not what I wanted to hear. I went with the sandy bridge so I could do 3d with the integrated graphics (less heat and noise) not thinking about the edid issue with the receiver. I now it looks like I'm gonna have to go the discrete route with a Radeon 6xxx series. I would probably have had to go that route anyway, as I think I was noticing the 24p problem anyway. Just thought I would put it out there in case anyone one else
could be looking at the same issuses.

Hey you know, life is full of disappoints, especially when things don't work out as planned. Myself I upgraded to another motherboard because I wanted SLI, but found out most of my games don't even support it and I have other issues once SLI is enabled. Not only this but:
  • This motherboard only has 1 onboard USB connector. My previous board had 2. I have 3 front USB devices on my HTPC. I can't use all 8gb of ram on this board, either, so I'm limited to 6
  • I would love to take advantage of my current GTX460's built in TrueHD and DTS-MA via my Sony AVR, but no, I can't use the Sony AVR with my 3D projector as this device will end up being recognized as the "display device" and it won't do 120hz - so i have to run the HDMI from the video card to the projector and the TOSLINK from the motherboard sound card to the Sony AVR in order to get sound
But you know, the sound is awesome and I don't miss a thing. It's great you're able to build a SB machine, but IMO, you'd be better off with a discreat video card in the long run anyhow. It's almost funny how now people want to use the built in video as opposed to a discreat card. Sure, I know certain video converters take advantage of the HD video chip (I want the SB just for this as well) but I won't let this be the final decision as to whether or not I buy this chip. On chip video may be great for the video conversion, but for other HD or 3D it may not perform as well as a discreat video card. Anyhow, that's my .02, you have options and that was only what I pointing out besides the fact that you're not alone when it comes to making compromises when our expectations are not met.
post #650 of 1533 Old 03-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Hi,

Abit noob here; I'm using ASUS Geforce GT440. How actually I enable the Stereoscopic 3D to use with DLP-Link glassess. Is it possible to enable it without using Nvidia 3D Glasses + Emitter?
post #651 of 1533 Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You need the emitter.
As far as I can tell, nobody has been able to bypass the nvidia validation of 120Hz 3d output without the emitter. So either that, or a hdmi1.4 adaptor/compliant projector (the Acer xxxxbd).
post #652 of 1533 Old 03-24-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaMY View Post
Hi,

Abit noob here; I'm using ASUS Geforce GT440. How actually I enable the Stereoscopic 3D to use with DLP-Link glassess. Is it possible to enable it without using Nvidia 3D Glasses + Emitter?
At least you have to have one pair of nVidia kit. The rest may be any DLP-Link glasses.
Select DLP-Link option on PJ setup and use other galasses as well...

Chronical Tester
post #653 of 1533 Old 03-25-2011, 01:43 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I have to buy the Nvidia 3D kit afterall.
post #654 of 1533 Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

You may get the emitter only, I've seen offers in the Nvidia forums and, rarely, on Ebay. ~ $80
Again, this is assuming you are trying to feed a non-hdmi1.4 display device (e.g. a projector). I am not familiar with the options/models of DLP TV's.
post #655 of 1533 Old 03-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaMY View Post

Hi,

you don't need the emitter anymore when you want to use DLP-link glasses. check this post out

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20197001

BTW, what display will you be using with your planned set-up?

Thanks.
post #656 of 1533 Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry but some of the latest posts seemed to me deleted?
What's up?

Chronical Tester
post #657 of 1533 Old 03-29-2011, 05:09 PM

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics cars, which seems to be HDMI 1.3. Does it support stereoscopic 3D? If so, is there any advantage, quality or compatibility wise, to go to a Radeon HD 6xxx video card?
post #658 of 1533 Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

It should support 3d. The benefit of a 6xxx card is the 3d codec (MVC) decoding. With the 5xxx cards, the cpu does the work.

Sorry, I was too quick to reply: I meant 120Hz sequential, and it seems the question was regarding frame-packed, which I am not sure about.
post #659 of 1533 Old 03-30-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The MVC (2X +delta)encoding scheme for 3D BR and is what produces the double frame packed 3D format. Th3 decoding of MVC is what is supported by the ATI 6xxx cards and not the 5xxx cards.
120Hz frame sequential does not require any special firmware to encode in the graphics card.
post #660 of 1533 Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
From the first post:

•ATI has something called "HD3D". The site lists the videocards ATI says works with 3D Blu Ray: link.

The 5770 is one of the supported videocards.

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page