AVS Forum banner

FAQ for the 3D HTPC

348K views 2K replies 276 participants last post by  Mount81 
#1 ·
 Link to Nvidia 3DTV Play setup manual

Look at this first, then look at the rest of the FAQ below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah /forum/post/19585017

Lets start: (FAQ prepared by myself
)

Do i need an nVidia 3D vision kit if i have a DLP TV- like Mitsubishi or DLP PJ- like Acer 5360

Yes and No;

YES; At least one pair of nVidia kit (for its emitter) is needed for setup nVidia 3D Vision drivers.

NO; any DLP link glasses will do the same job because dlp screen sends signals to your eye-wear.

But if you have any DLP device (TV/PJ) or if you want to play 3D games via nVidia card, you will need at least one nVidia emitter even your DLP Link eyewear doesn't use the nVidia emitter.
One emitter is needed to setup 3D Vision Drivers.

(be careful; your DLP glasses shouldn't see the emitter directly otherwise signals are interfered.)

btw i have one set of nVidia kit, two Xpan X102 DLP glasses and one pair of Optoma BG-ZD 101 DLP Link glasses and an Acer 5360 PJ.

OK i bought a pair of 3D vision kit glasses, can i use them with those new generation 3D TV play compatible 3D TVs?

No, never, new gen. TVs use their own glasses but you can use them with nVidia 4** or new 5** series cards.

But i had them already, where i gonna use them?

You can use them with DLP TVs and DLP PJs. But any DLP Link glasses will do the same job.

I have Geforce glasses, do i need to buy 3D TV Play software?

No, it's included in the Geforce nVidia 3D vision CD.

Ok , i have nvidia 3dVision glasses and 3D TV Play software, can i play 3D BD on my 3dTV?

No, you can only play games and videos with that SW on your 3DTV.

If you wanna watch 3DBD, you need an external SW like Corel, Arcsoft or Cyberlink.

Then can i watch 3DBD with my DLP TV or DLP PJ over nvidia glasses+3D TV Play SW?

No, you need the same external SW.

I don't have nVidia 3D Vision glasses and 3D TV Play SW but i have a 3DTV supported GPU by nVidia. Can i watch 3DBD or 3D video or play 3D games?

Yes you can; if you have any 3D commercial player like Corel WinDVD 10, Arcsoft TMT 5 or Cyberlink PDVD 10.

Q:Where is supported 3D TV list?

A: Link

For some new HW you will need this update:
Link

Any confusion left?
Link

For a inexpensive HTPC I would recommend the lowest price Dell Inspiron (Inspiron 560) $449.00, and buying a Blu Ray drive for 70.00 and a Zotak ZT-20404-20L Video card for 98.00. Which is about 620.00 Canadian and includes Windows 7 OEM.

Which GPUs will support 3D TVs? I checked the NVIDIA website and Fermi 430 supports HDMI 1.4a.

NVIDIA GeForce GPUs have been tested to be compatible with HDMI 1.4a, and will work well with the 3D TVs, including the Panasonic VIERA TVs. The following are GPUs supported by NVIDIA 3DTV Play:

•Desktop GPU: Blu-ray 3D playback: Make sure your videocard has "PureVideo HD 4" or VP4. ATI videocards are listed in the HD3D link below.

GeForce GTX 480

GeForce GTX 470

GeForce GTX 465

GeForce GTX 460

GTS 450, GT 440 (October)

GT 430 (October)

GeForce GT 340

GeForce GT 320

GeForce GT 240 also supports VP4, but no HD audio bitstreaming.

•Laptop GPUs:

GeForce GT 240 Notebook

GeForce GTS 360M

GeForce GTS 350M

GeForce GT 335M

GeForce GT 330M

GeForce GT 325M

GeForce GT 320M

Nvidia Website for more information

•ATI has something called "HD3D". The site lists the videocards ATI says works with 3D Blu Ray: link

•Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics

(Intel Core i5-600 Dual Core Processor)

In order to be able to use the integrated graphics in these Clarksdale processors you need to use the proper chipset and motherboard. These new chipsets include the Intel H55, H57 and Q57.

What do I need for HW & SW??

Display

You'll need 3D TV that has HDCP: DVI, HDMI, or Nvidia 3D Vision ready display.

Software

Nvidia will release a driver around august or september 2010 that will enable NVidia 3D Blu Ray Vision ready GPU's to play back 3D Blu Ray with Powerdvd 10 Ultra 3D Mark II or equivalent SW.

Nvidia 3D TV Play software needs to be used with Powerdvd 10 Ultra 3D Mark II or equivalent SW and enables HDMI 1.4 to autosense the 3D Content so the TV doesn't need to be manually set.

See the Misc info section for more detail.

Videocard

NVidia videocard that features VP4, Intel Clarksdale i5-600 processor with Intel H55, H57 and Q57 chipset.

The Nvidia 3D TV Play faq said the DVI can be used as long as it uses a HDMI adapter, they specify the use of HDMI cable is necessary: HDMI 1.3 Category 2 High Speed cable. However some reviews online said you can use a DVI cable and don't need a HDMI cable, so it's not yet known for sure if DVI can be used or not in the final 3D TV Play product.

Blu Ray Drive

Blu Ray drive with 2x BDMV (AACS Compliant Disc) read speed or faster

CPU

You can use a lower power cpu if you use a dedicated videocard that can decode 3D Blu Ray.

Or, Intel Core i5 661, AMD Athlon II X3 440 or better models for sw decode, sometimes called "NO GPU, uses the CPU for graphics processing".

"if you want to do 2D-3D conversion in PC (of HD contents; SD is easy), you still need a powerful processor (E7xxx or higher)" - renethx

Video card ram

in my opinion 1GB is the minimum amount of ram for the videocard.

System ram

2 GB minimum

Operating system

PC with Microsoft Windows 7, Vista* and XP SP3* (Windows XP Service Pack 3 is required)

What is the graphics card slot requirement?

The slot must have at least 10.2Gbps throughput.

PCIE 1.x single lane is 250MB/s.

Multiply that by 16 in a 16x slot and you have 32Gbps

AGP 3.0 8x Rate (MBps) 2133, (Gbps) 17.064

So both agp 3.0 8x and pcie 1.x 16x are compatible as far as having enough throughput from the videocard to the display.

Official Minimum system requirements: Nvidia

•Microsoft® Windows® Vista 32/64-bit or Windows 7 32/64-bit

•Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Athlon™ X2 CPU or higher

•1GB of system memory. (2GB is recommended)

•100 MB free disk space

•3D Vision-Ready Displays (See link for list)

•NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Cards: Must have VP4 capability

Official Minimum system requirements: Cyberlink

System Requirements for Blu-ray 3D with Hardware Acceleration

•Microsoft Windows 7, Vista* and XP SP3* (Windows XP Service Pack 3 is required)

•Intel Pentium D 950 (3.0GHz), AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2.4GHz) or above

•Intel Graphic Media Accelerator HD (Intel Core i3/i5), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 400, series and Gefore GT 240/320/340

•2 GB of system memory

•3D display and 3D glasses are required (NVIDIA 3D Vision*, 3D Ready HDTV, Micro-polarizer LCD or Anaglyph Red/Cyan Glasses). HDCP compliant display for digital output

*PowerDVD with NVIDIA 3D Vision is not supported under Windows Vista and XP

System Requirements for Blu-ray 3D without Hardware Acceleration

•Microsoft Windows 7, Vista* and XP SP3* (Windows XP Service Pack 3 is required)

•Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66GHz), AMD Phenom 9450 (2.10GHz) or above

•Intel G45, ATI Radeon HD2400, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT or above.

•2 GB of system memory

•3D display and 3D glasses are required (NVIDIA 3D Vision*, 3D Ready HDTV, Micro-polarizer LCD or Anaglyph Red/Cyan Glasses). HDCP compliant display for digital output

Minimum cpu requirement: Tomshardware

"As you can see, the triple-core Athlon II X3 440 at 3 GHz is highly stressed during Blu-ray 3D playback.

It's difficult to make precise conclusions without per-core utilization data but CyberLink's software decoder appears to take advantage of threading, a feature that quad-core owners will appreciate.

Judging from the performance we've seen, we think Blu-ray 3D can be comfortably played back with a triple-core CPU at 3 GHz or a quad-core CPU at 2.5 GHz using PowerDVD's software decoder."

What kind of TV is supported?

Blu-ray 3D playback: Make sure your display is listed 3D Vision-Ready Displays

Acer GD245HQ 120Hz LCD 1920x1080

Acer GD235HZ 120Hz LCD 1920x1080

Acer X1261-3D 1280x720

Acer X1130P 1024x768

Acer H5360 1280x720

Acer X1110 800x600

Acer HN274H 27" LCD

Acer GN245HQ 24" LCD

Alienware™ OptX™ AW2310 120Hz 1920x1080

ASUS VG236H 120 Hz 1920x1080

DepthQ® HD 3D Projector by LightSpeed Design, Inc. 1280x720

DQ-3120 by LightSpeed Design, Inc. 800x600

LG W2363D 120 Hz 1920x1080

LG W2363DB 120 Hz 1920x1080

Mitsubishi® 1080p DLP® Home Theater TV:

WD-57833

WD-60735

WD-60737

WD-60C8

WD-60C9

WD-65735

WD-65736

WD-65737

WD-65C8

WD-65C9

WD-65833

WD-65835

WD-65837

WD-73735

WD-73736

WD-73737

WD-73833

WD-73835

WD-73837

WD-73C8

WD-73C9

WD-82737

WD-82837

L65-A90

NEC NP216 1024x768

Optoma GT360 800x600

Optoma GT720 1280x800

Optoma HD67 1280x720

Optoma HD66 1280x800

Panasonic TC-P50VT20/TC-P50VT25

Samsung UN467000

Samsung UN557000

ViewSonic PJD6531w 1280x720

ViewSonic PJD6220-3D 1024x768

ViewSonic PJD6210-3D 1024x768

ViewSonic PJD5351 1024x768

ViewSonic PJD5111 800x600

ViewSonic PJD6381 1024x768

ViewSonic PJD6211 1024x768

ViewSonic PJD6221 1024x768

ViewSonic PJD6241 1024x768

ViewSonic PJD5112 1024x768

Link to updated list.

"The list is hardware components that support "NVIDIA 3D Vision" (NVIDIA's proprietary IR emitter and glasses). GeForce 4xx supports every display device supporting HDMI 1.4a 3D." - renethx

What kind of TV for 3D Blu Ray?

Nvidia says 120Hz 3d tv that has hdmi input is the minimum standard. However 120Hz 3D is mainly for gaming, not movies.

For movies, 3D Blu Ray movies you'll need a TV that has very little crosstalk, and this means faster than 120Hz.

If the TV is certified for HDMI 1.4a it will work, so passive polarized TV's are ok too. You don't Need to use only active polarized 3D TV's, the kind that use the shutter glasses.

Crosstalk affects the quality of the 3D TV by creating a luma halo type effect around a picture that is shown to either the left or right eye.

Acer GD235HZ works

Alienware OptX AW2310 works

Is my videocard already capable of dual stream acceleration?

Dual stream acceleration simply means the videocard can output 3D blu ray to a 3D tv.

To see if your videocard is capable, download a program called "DXVA checker". In the Decoder device tab check each from the list and click Dual stream acceleration to see if your videocard is already 3D compatible. However only NVidia cards have the MVC codec HW acceleration right now I think. MVC is the codec 3D blu ray wil use, so the fact that the videocard supports dual stream acceleration is pointless as no 3D blu ray wil use any other codec but MVC I think.

link

As you can see in the list in the picture there is no mention of MVC. Only certain NVidia cards may have MVC listed at this point in time.

Various bits of misc info

HDMI 1.3 is not automatically sensing the type of 3D signal: side by side.

HDMI 1.3 requires you to set the cable box, or HTPC, to the right 3D signal mode, and then set the television to that 3D mode.

HDMI 1.4 with 3D TV Play automatically senses what the 3D source content is: 1080p 24fps, 720p 50fps, 720p 60fps, and you don't need to set the TV or HTPC, it just works.

To watch 3d Blu Ray you only need the Driver Update, for gaming on 3d TV's you need to buy the NVidia 3d TV Play.

3D TV Play lets you use HDMI 1.4 so it senses the 3D content and you don't need to set this manually.

3D TV Play is for the listed Nvidia Videocards, but as far as supporting Intel and AMD graphics, they have not yet said that they will.

They said they will work with Microsoft to get the media center overlay working, and if they will do that then maybe if Intel and AMD ask NVidia for 3D TV Play support NVidia will support theire goods.

In the 2011 Intel will release Sandybridge, designed with HDMI 1.4a and built for 3D Blu Ray.

" there are two lines of chipsets for consumer desktops: H and P series. The H series supports Sandy Bridge’s on-die graphics, while the P series is strictly for discrete graphics.

At launch we’ll have P67 and H67 based motherboards, both of which are in testing right now. A quarter later we’ll see value H61 motherboards added to the mix." - Source

So if your building a 3D Blu Ray HTPC it should use these new parts and not the i5 661. Just wait for the new parts in 2011.

For this new build you would get the new chipset (LGA-1155), the new cpu, ram (DDR3-1333)and heatsink LGA-1155 heatsink.

Remember, the i5 chipset is HDMI 1.3a, not HDMI 1.4a, so you'll need to adjust the HTPC and TV to use the correct 3D mode.

If NVidia 3D TV Play will use the new Intel chipset that has HDMI 1.4a and let it autosense the 3D source is not yet known,

or even if the new cpu will need 3D TV Play to autosense the 3D source.

Best monitor?

The best monitor is the one that doesn't strain your eyes, and this means no crosstalk. For this you would buy a Mitsubishi 3D DLP TV. Look at a mitsubishi model and research it to see if it needs a upgrade or has no crosstalk or is 3D blu ray compatible. This is the way it is in November 2010, in the future the Plasma and LCD TV's may offer no crosstalk.

Checkout the tru3d website, they offer the dlp TV and adapter kit. (I'm not affiliated with any of these people in any way. I got this name 'tru3d' from the 3d forum and googled the link I'm providing now.) link

Passive Projector Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid_dvd /forum/post/20501825

Hi!

I posted a bit similar topic in another thread, but I guess this would have been the perfect spot to ask.

My plan is to watch 3D BR and .mkv-files with HPTC. I have built a passive system consisting of GT430, 2 x Optoma 3D-XL, which divides the signal into right and left and two projectors, JVC DLA-HD1, which through filters display the picture on a silver screen. I cannot get the HTPC to play the 3D Blu-rays though in 3D.

And then the question: Apparently I do not need for movie watching the Nvidia 3D vision kit with the emitter. But how in earth do I configure the Stereoscopic view as I do not have Nvidia Vision, Wired Glasses etc. - which is the right option to choose there? Any help via a vis the HTPC configuration is appreciated.

Thanks for advice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20503713

Hardware: Dual-Projector 3D Theater Checklist ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by solid_dvd /forum/post/20505068

Seems that my problem lies with the HDMI-splitter. It most probably is not HDMI 1.4/3D capable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/19947124

I got a 1 to 4 Gefen "tool box" splitter - it's technically a HDMI 1.3 splitter but it's 3D and HD Audio compatible. (1 to 4 means, 1 HDMI in and 4 HDMI outputs).

If you have a 1.3 AVR, you could run your device to the splitter first, then send 1 output to the AVR, and 2 outputs to the 3DXL boxes.

Re: passive or active - The Gefen box has a switch to let you select whether the HDMI handshake happens with the Gefen, or with the passthru device, and another switch lets you choose whether you are passing multichannel audio or 2 channel (ie SPDIF) audio.

The Gefen is discounted on Amazon, but there may well be cheaper options out there. There is a Sewell HDMI 1.4 switch that is about to ship - only $75. I haven't hooked up the Gefen yet, expect to be able to test all the options over the weekend, so can report how much of that flexibility was actually needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Linn /forum/post/19947396

Wouldn't that depend on whether the receiver was connected before or after the 3D-XL? Doesn't the box output 720P at 120 Hz? Does that require a 3D receiver or is a 3D receiver only required for 1080P 120 Hz?

Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/19947727

Was only outlining a dual pj setup with a HDMI 1.3 AVR. Different setups vary. With my 4311CI, I have all sources to AVR first, then one of the HDMI outputs will feed splitter, which feeds the pjs. The other output on the AVR goes to a Panny 3D plasma.

This will vary again if someone is using the 3DXL for a single pj DLP-Link setup. In Doug's case (if that is his setup) he would go to the splitter first, then split to AVR and the 3DXL.

See less See more
#753 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWalker2 /forum/post/0

I don't think it is a good idea to let your htpc do the 24hz to 60hz as your TV most propably convert much better or even handle 96hz. I'm quite sure motion will be a lot more smooth if you send 24hz to your TV.

The best is to set your htpc with AutoFrenquency . If you are using Media Browser it can also be used with it. See here: http://community.mediabrowser.tv/per...quency-with-mb

This way your HTPC will always switch to optimal resolution / hz for each media.

Personally I'll even switch to 480p for DVD as again my TV is the best choice for upscaling.

I don't think that mediabrowser link is working

#755 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockroach /forum/post/20486264

I don't believe my TV accepts 24Hz 2D (or if it does, it still refreshes at a non-multiple; artificial restriction), but I use my projector for 2D anyway.

Yep but often TV sets have some kind of smoothing technology that does a better job at this than a graphic card. Of course if your projector can't take it it won't work.

But yes the soft would change resolution before TMT5 gets launched.

#757 ·
So, I wanted to try the trial (go figure) and test out the possibility of eliminating my 3d bluray player, so i downloaded tmt5.

setup

i5 760

550ti (275.27)

pio elite vsx33 (passes 3d bd fine)

samsung pn58c8000

and this is what i get..

I can watch the tv switch to 1920x1080x24

it initiates the 3d samsung function (please press power button on glasses)

then just sits at a black screen, no video, or audio, and no bdrom activity

(does this both straight from a 3d disk or mounting a 3d folder)

regular blurays play fine

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

#758 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain /forum/post/20489912

So, I wanted to try the trial (go figure) and test out the possibility of eliminating my 3d bluray player, so i downloaded tmt5.

setup

i5 760

550ti (275.27)

pio elite vsx33 (passes 3d bd fine)

samsung pn58c8000

and this is what i get..

I can watch the tv switch to 1920x1080x24

it initiates the 3d samsung function (please press power button on glasses)

then just sits at a black screen, no video, or audio, and no bdrom activity

(does this both straight from a 3d disk or mounting a 3d folder)

regular blurays play fine

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Did you try conntecting your HTPC directly to the C8000 via HDMI ( skipping the Pionneer ) just to see what it would do? Also, the HDMI cable you are using can handle 3d?

#759 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWalker2
Yep but often TV sets have some kind of smoothing technology that does a better job at this than a graphic card. Of course if your projector can't take it it won't work.

But yes the soft would change resolution before TMT5 gets launched.
Sorry, wasn't quite clear enough. My projector does do 24Hz, so it doesn't matter that my TV doesn't.

Will look into that SW then. Sounds good.

#760 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWalker2
Did you try conntecting your HTPC directly to the C8000 via HDMI ( skipping the Pionneer ) just to see what it would do? Also, the HDMI cable you are using can handle 3d?

for future reference:

I eliminated the PIO elite,

redid the stereoscopic wizard and viola,tmt5 3d bluray(disk) playback works!

reintroduced the PIO elite back into the equation and voila... still works! bit streaming and all.

I still haven't figured out why folder playback isn't working but maybe thats something in the rip?

I used makeMKV to make a "backup" (bit for bit raw) bdr folder structured. Is that my issue as far as mounting from tmt5 ? different program i should look into? If i can get the folder mounting workin, i'm buying this thing for sure!

#761 ·
I read somewhere that 3d playblack only work off of disk or ISO. I believe when the disk is ripped to folders on a hard drive then certain folders aren't included or something (the additional files that have the information about what information goes to which eye I believe)

#762 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain /forum/post/0

for future reference:

I eliminated the PIO elite,

redid the stereoscopic wizard and viola,tmt5 3d bluray(disk) playback works!

reintroduced the PIO elite back into the equation and voila... still works! bit streaming and all.

I still haven't figured out why folder playback isn't working but maybe thats something in the rip?

I used makeMKV to make a "backup" (bit for bit raw) bdr folder structured. Is that my issue as far as mounting from tmt5 ? different program i should look into? If i can get the folder mounting workin, i'm buying this thing for sure!

Try using anyDVD and make a clone to an iso file. Then you can mount the iso on a virtual drive, I use Daemon, then try. I've never tried the folder structure for 3d so I don't know if it works, but I can tell you from experience the isos work.

#764 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC /forum/post/0

Read that card doesn't have to be HDMI 1.4 to do 3-D, and that my GTX 460 will do it. Does that go for AMD cards too? Will my HD 5750 do 3-D and doesn't need to be HDMI 1.4?

I was talking about hdmi cables, as long as their up to spec and have enough bandwidth, they don't have to be 1.4. Hdmi cable manufacturers and sellers just throw that term around. As far as cards go I'm not sure. Just look what the manufacturers site has to say about them. But yes, your gtx 460 will do 3d.

#766 ·
I think there must be a bug with TMT5 - it doesn't play Gullivers Travels or Voyage Of The Dawn Treader in 3D - even when I select watch in 3D it only outputs in 2D. I have had no trouble or so other 3D BDs so I wonder if Fox is encoding in a strange way. They both work fine on my standalone 3D BD player.

#767 ·
Hi!

I posted a bit similar topic in another thread, but I guess this would have been the perfect spot to ask.

My plan is to watch 3D BR and .mkv-files with HPTC. I have built a passive system consisting of GT430, 2 x Optoma 3D-XL, which divides the signal into right and left and two projectors, JVC DLA-HD1, which through filters display the picture on a silver screen. I cannot get the HTPC to play the 3D Blu-rays though in 3D.

And then the question: Apparently I do not need for movie watching the Nvidia 3D vision kit with the emitter. But how in earth do I configure the Stereoscopic view as I do not have Nvidia Vision, Wired Glasses etc. - which is the right option to choose there? Any help via a vis the HTPC configuration is appreciated.

Thanks for advice!

#768 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRush /forum/post/20462555

Hi guys!

I have a pretty good system to play 3D, but it is stuttering. I dont know why.

Only problem is 3D blu-ray. 2D is perfect and ok.

My system:

Intel Core Quad Q6600

Motherboard Asus P5K Premium Wi-Fi Black Pearl

2gb Ram DDR2 1066 Corsair Dominator

Geforce GT 430 (bitstream HD audio to my Onkyo 6300 HDMi 1.4)

My TV is Sony 46HX800 3D Led, HDMi 1.4 also.

Blu-ray drive is a Pioneer BDR-206.

Software I use two: PowerDVD 11 and TmT 5.

Any tips?

My hard drive read like crazy when playing a 3D blu-ray disc.

Update1:

Stuttering is kind like a heart-beat. Is not random stutter. Heart beat stutter.

I was testing, it isnt bandwidth problem. Cos I changed DTS-Hd sound to DTS and exactly same issue stands. Seems some windows or nvidia driver configuration problem.

Update2:

I uninstalled Geforce drivers and installed a new one beta. Now I can choose 23 and 24hz. Before only 23 hz.

24 hz is better, but still stuttering a little, less.

Thanks!

Could any good soul help me please?

#769 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid_dvd /forum/post/20501825

Hi!

Thanks for advice!

#770 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRush /forum/post/20462555

Hi guys!

I have a pretty good system to play 3D, but it is stuttering. I dont know why.

Only problem is 3D blu-ray. 2D is perfect and ok.

My system:

Intel Core Quad Q6600

Motherboard Asus P5K Premium Wi-Fi Black Pearl

2gb Ram DDR2 1066 Corsair Dominator

Geforce GT 430 (bitstream HD audio to my Onkyo 6300 HDMi 1.4)

My TV is Sony 46HX800 3D Led, HDMi 1.4 also.

Blu-ray drive is a Pioneer BDR-206.

Software I use two: PowerDVD 11 and TmT 5.

Any tips?

My hard drive read like crazy when playing a 3D blu-ray disc.

Update1:

Stuttering is kind like a heart-beat. Is not random stutter. Heart beat stutter.

I was testing, it isnt bandwidth problem. Cos I changed DTS-Hd sound to DTS and exactly same issue stands. Seems some windows or nvidia driver configuration problem.

Update2:

I uninstalled Geforce drivers and installed a new one beta. Now I can choose 23 and 24hz. Before only 23 hz.

24 hz is better, but still stuttering a little, less.

Thanks!

Are you playing BD from the BD drive or HDD (or doesn't it matter)?

#773 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by solid_dvd
Hi!

Thanks for advice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx
Quote:
Originally Posted by solid_dvd
Seems that my problem lies with the HDMI-splitter. It most probably is not HDMI 1.4/3D capable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam
I got a 1 to 4 Gefen "tool box" splitter - it's technically a HDMI 1.3 splitter but it's 3D and HD Audio compatible. (1 to 4 means, 1 HDMI in and 4 HDMI outputs).

If you have a 1.3 AVR, you could run your device to the splitter first, then send 1 output to the AVR, and 2 outputs to the 3DXL boxes.

Re: passive or active - The Gefen box has a switch to let you select whether the HDMI handshake happens with the Gefen, or with the passthru device, and another switch lets you choose whether you are passing multichannel audio or 2 channel (ie SPDIF) audio.

The Gefen is discounted on Amazon, but there may well be cheaper options out there. There is a Sewell HDMI 1.4 switch that is about to ship - only $75. I haven't hooked up the Gefen yet, expect to be able to test all the options over the weekend, so can report how much of that flexibility was actually needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Linn
Wouldn't that depend on whether the receiver was connected before or after the 3D-XL? Doesn't the box output 720P at 120 Hz? Does that require a 3D receiver or is a 3D receiver only required for 1080P 120 Hz?

Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam
Was only outlining a dual pj setup with a HDMI 1.3 AVR. Different setups vary. With my 4311CI, I have all sources to AVR first, then one of the HDMI outputs will feed splitter, which feeds the pjs. The other output on the AVR goes to a Panny 3D plasma.

This will vary again if someone is using the 3DXL for a single pj DLP-Link setup. In Doug's case (if that is his setup) he would go to the splitter first, then split to AVR and the 3DXL.
I added this to the first post.

#774 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20503716

Are you playing BD from the BD drive or HDD (or doesn't it matter)?

Rene... thank you for the reply...

My only problem is playing 3D directly from BD drive.

I dont have any 3D full iso on hard drive, only 1080p non 3D and 3D SBS mkv, works flawless.

It is annoying me so much cos it is the only thing is left to everything to be perfect.

Update: Now I have 3 gb DDR2 Corsair Dominator (3 banks).

#775 ·
3d brd in iso format, mounted with virtual clone, playing in tmt5 and i get this (3d looks fine, just screen size thats F`d).

what gives?

PS: upon further investigation, if i put the display to 1920x1080x24hz before i launch the movie, it works perfect, but if i let tmt do the display res switch (from 60 to 24) is when the above happens.

#777 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain /forum/post/0

3d brd in iso format, mounted with virtual clone, playing in tmt5 and i get this (3d looks fine, just screen size thats F`d).

what gives?

PS: upon further investigation, if i put the display to 1920x1080x24hz before i launch the movie, it works perfect, but if i let tmt do the display res switch (from 60 to 24) is when the above happens.

Just updated to newest nvidia driver

Guess What ? Now i have the problem You described.

I have to switch to 24hz before launching the app, Then All is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.