FAQ for the 3D HTPC - Page 33 - AVS Forum
First ... 31  32  33 34  35  ... Last
Home Theater Computers > FAQ for the 3D HTPC
Midnight Tboy's Avatar Midnight Tboy 03:11 PM 12-11-2011
the photos I've seen of the GT430s DVI port look slightly different than the ones in my 6450. Would this need a different type of adapter than AMD ones to get sound output? Or do they actually supply them in the box?

ricabullah's Avatar ricabullah 03:15 PM 12-11-2011
Yes you need two cables:

DVI out > HDMI in of your TV, for video. (via DVI to HDMI cable or DVI to HDMI adapter+HDMI to HDMI cable.)
HDMI out > HDMI in of your AVR, for audio.
Midnight Tboy's Avatar Midnight Tboy 03:18 PM 12-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

Yes you need two cables:

DVI out > HDMI in your TV, for video. (via DVI to HDMI cable or DVI to HDMI adapter+HDMI to HDMI cable.)
HDMI out > HDMI in of your AVR, for audio.

Thanks, so would the nvidia cable type be different to a standard dvi to hdmi cable (or adapter?) As presumably it needs the extra pins or whatever attached in order for it to see any audio signal (don't mind if the TV output loses audio signal tho - but as below, my 6450 can't seem to do 3d through the DVI by itself....not sure if thats normal)

searching around for it at moment but can't seem to find out for sure

and just to double check.....on my 6450 I shouldnt be able to get 3d with a regular DVI to HDMI cable? (as I dont when trying - with no sound carried out as a regular (tho 4yr old)cable)
ricabullah's Avatar ricabullah 03:29 PM 12-11-2011
I got 3D with my 5450 and 5770 via a DVI to HDMI cable. Dunno?
You may have to buy a new cable?
Midnight Tboy's Avatar Midnight Tboy 05:28 PM 12-11-2011
you might be right.

looking at the old cable (bought in 2007), its definately DVI-D....and looks like its dual channel (full rows of pins?)

Other than that don't know what spec it is. hdmi 1.3, even 1.2etc....if that would even really make any difference in realterm use.

Is your cable certified a particular hdmi level? Wondering if basically the older cables dont do the talkback somehow like a definate 1.3compatable cable would do.

And so the adapter to convert to hdmi perhaps better as would ensure the rest of cable (being a regular hdmi cable) up to the job.

It does switch display on regular 2d footage though, to 1080p24 etc no problem FWIW
ricabullah's Avatar ricabullah 05:41 PM 12-11-2011
My cable is supposed to be an HDMI 1.3.
Midnight Tboy's Avatar Midnight Tboy 05:44 PM 12-11-2011
thanks - going to see if I can find somewhere for one that can deliver quickly (either adapter or cable), or preferably somewhere local.

Can I ask, are you also getting audio with it, or using a regular dvi cable?
whiteboy714's Avatar whiteboy714 05:56 PM 12-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tboy View Post

thanks - going to see if I can find somewhere for one that can deliver quickly (either adapter or cable), or preferably somewhere local.

Can I ask, are you using it on a 6450 too? And are you also getting audio with it?

Amd cards need a certain adapter to get audio from the dvi port. This is the one.
http://www.amazon.com/HIS-HHDMI4071-...3651215&sr=8-1

This one works with 5 and 6 series as well. I actually just bought the last one direct from amazon yesterday.

Newegg also has it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814999010
Midnight Tboy's Avatar Midnight Tboy 06:02 PM 12-11-2011
thanks - tho struggling to find anywhere that sell it in UK

Only found 1 place so far...an ebay seller.

Mind the audio itself isn't important, in fact if its on it may perhaps conflict at times with trying to have the audio bitstream to the AVR, which the tv wouldnt have allowed preventing PDVD from giving the options.....the 3d though is obv the important bit.

I can see plenty of cheap £2 non audio adapters....however no way of knowing whether they will definately be output fast enough for 3d http://www.scan.co.uk/products/trist...to-dvi-adaptor for example, pittance, but I get free next day delivery from them so could have it on tuesday.....vs £10 on ebay for the audio one, and possibly a week+ to come
Midnight Tboy's Avatar Midnight Tboy 07:23 PM 12-11-2011
another spanner in works unsure about now.

the amazon.com link

http://www.amazon.com/HIS-HHDMI4071-...3651215&sr=8-1

shows it as being a dual dvi (If I'm right in thinking that if its got a full set of pins it is dual)

The only place I can find them in UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATI-Radeon...item43aa993702

they're single DVI

Single isn't fast enough for full HD 3d is it?
Midnight Tboy's Avatar Midnight Tboy 07:04 AM 12-12-2011
sack it!!

ordered a GT430 card. Hopefully I can return my 6450. As i've read a lot of times, the GTs supposedly 'just work' unlike the nightmare of this radeon.

Now hopefully the problem of it going to 1000p will disappear too. £23 extra to pay compared to the 6450, tho the AMD adapter takes into account £10 of that. Maybe might be able to squeeze the odd game out of a 430 (tho not expecting much)

Of tangent slightly, but how does a GT430 in a core2duo 2.2ghz compare to the likes of gaming on a console? Some games might work in 3d at a lower res comparable to 360?
roknrol's Avatar roknrol 10:16 AM 12-12-2011
Quote:

@roknrol,

I guess your issue is related with TMT's "automatic refresh rate switching" stuff. I think it converts refresh rate to 1080*24 in place of 720*120 hz.

I would suggest:
1) Connect DVI to HDMI cable to Acer's HDMI in. (for video)
2) Connect HDMI to HDMI cable to your AVR's HDMI in. (for audio) Don't forget to assign your Denon as default sound playback device.
3) Disable stereoscopic 3D on nVidia Control Panel.
4) Restart your PC and enable 3D again and setup nVidia again. Don't forget your emitter is connected and make sure you set up your Acer PJ to 3D nVidia mode on its own menu.
5) Download Stereoscopic Player's trial version if you don't have it:
http://www.3dtv.at/Downloads/Index_en.aspx
6) Select "nvidia 3D vision" under Stereoscopic Player's menu > view > viewing method.
7) Open largest ssif file under your BD folder's BDMV > Stream > SSIF and give it a go.

Best.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give this a go tonight and see what happens. I didn't know about the automatic refresh rate switching issue.

In reading through the release notes for the 114 build of TMT5, there's a hotfix (actually, a file swap-out) to disable the automatic refresh rate switching. Would this serve the same purpose as steps 1-4 above? Or would I still be suffering some kind of EDID issue?
ricabullah's Avatar ricabullah 01:36 PM 12-12-2011
@Roknroll, it didn't work for me.
whiteboy714's Avatar whiteboy714 11:11 PM 12-12-2011
So would it be better to go with nvidia when doing 3d with a HDMI 1.3 avr. It seems my 6570 can't give me 3d video to the TV and HD audio to the avr.
ricabullah's Avatar ricabullah 12:48 PM 12-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

So would it be better to go with nvidia when doing 3d with a HDMI 1.3 avr. It seems my 6570 can't give me 3d video to the TV and HD audio to the avr.

I gave it a go with 5770 and 6850; both are working.
Midnight Tboy's Avatar Midnight Tboy 02:26 PM 12-13-2011
well my Nvidia 430 came today.

Installed it, and got HD sound from both HDMI port and DVI (with regular HDMI adapter) ports.

It still won't pass through to the 1.3 AVR in 3d,but wasn't surprised at that. but can choose either cable to go direct, and works fine.

Wish I'd bought the nvidia in first place, so much less of a headache.....was on that damn 6450 for around 20+ hours and getting nowhere fast messing with drivers.

Only a couple of issues I have, though probably straight forward to sort

1) AVR is out of sync with video, by a few hundred ms. Should be able to set that properly in the AVR when I get chance to play on it.

2) I had to press the "Enable 3D Vision" for powerdvd11 to play the movies/detect 3D. It then causes PDVD to switch to 1080p24 and 3d mode. No problem there as such. The problem is when try to play any other non 3d movie, bluray,divx,mkv, etc with settings of XBMC set to match the framerate to the movie (ie 24hz in most cases), this causes the screen to switch to 3d mode too for every movie.

Any ideas how I go about stopping that from happening so normal movies play fine in 24p and auto switches for only 3d ones?
vullcan's Avatar vullcan 05:09 PM 12-13-2011
I have a Nvidia gtx 580 and just got a 3DTV thats on the supported list. So its my understanding that I dont have to pay for the 3DTV Play software unless I want to play games right?

To view 3D blurays from my HTPC can I no longer use MPC-HC? I have to now download some software by either Corel, Arcsoft or Cyberlink? Aka the whole reason I spent the time to setup MPC-HC with custom filters correctly so I wouldn't have to buy some big companies bloated player is now out the window when it comes to 3D?

Thanks just confused
ricabullah's Avatar ricabullah 01:42 PM 12-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vullcan View Post

I have a Nvidia gtx 580 and just got a 3DTV thats on the supported list. So its my understanding that I dont have to pay for the 3DTV Play software unless I want to play games right?

To view 3D blurays from my HTPC can I no longer use MPC-HC? I have to now download some software by either Corel, Arcsoft or Cyberlink? Aka the whole reason I spent the time to setup MPC-HC with custom filters correctly so I wouldn't have to buy some big companies bloated player is now out the window when it comes to 3D?

Thanks just confused

If you want to play games, you don't need to pay for 3DTVPlay. Stereoscopic Player would be a better choice.
You have to use any commercial SW to view 3D Blues. However, you may use Stereoscopic Player as well. How?
Select the largest SSIF file and play with SP. (not all the features for sure.) -sometimes there might be two SSFI files. The largest one is the first part of the video while the larger one is the second part.
roknrol's Avatar roknrol 08:51 AM 12-16-2011
OK, I applied both hotfixes available from Arcsoft for TMT5, and as ricabullah advised, it didn't work to solve the resolution switching problem. So, I'll have to swap the DVI and HDMI inputs and give that a try.

I downloaded Stereoscopic Player, but haven't installed yet. I did see that I need to use rips rather than physical discs. What's the best way to do this -- 3D MKV or straight folder copy? Would 3D SBS be better? I was trying to use DVDFab (yes, I own the disc), but I couldn't enable the straight folder copy option.

Guess I have some more reading to do ....
ricabullah's Avatar ricabullah 01:58 PM 12-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by roknrol View Post

OK, I applied both hotfixes available from Arcsoft for TMT5, and as ricabullah advised, it didn't work to solve the resolution switching problem. So, I'll have to swap the DVI and HDMI inputs and give that a try.

I downloaded Stereoscopic Player, but haven't installed yet. I did see that I need to use rips rather than physical discs. What's the best way to do this -- 3D MKV or straight folder copy? Would 3D SBS be better? I was trying to use DVDFab (yes, I own the disc), but I couldn't enable the straight folder copy option.

Guess I have some more reading to do ....

We have to re-encode to SBS, when we rip 3D BDs; it is not a choice, but an obligation since we don't have any free MVC encoder yet. It takes more space when to compare with an MVC. I can't say, "it is better".
On the other hand, you don't need to copy straight folder: just open your disc and select the largest SSIF with SP.
If I rip a BD, i might re-mux to mkv or m2ts; it doesn't matter.
ricabullah's Avatar ricabullah 05:31 PM 12-27-2011
Hi guys!

Here are the results of my latest trials:

PowerDVD 11: (from AVS Forums.)

Quote:

I purchased PDVD 11 Ultra, the day before. (updated to 2408.53 patch later). I have a 550 Ti and a Panny 42 inches. I gave it a go with WHQL or beta nVidia drivers, single or multiple displays, different cables and configurations.

I haven't got any 3D at all, in my case.

Any ideas?

EDIT:IT WORKS. IT WAS MY FAULT.

TMT 5 118 Public Beta and 119 Retail (from Arcsoft Forums.)

Quote:

Hi folks!

I gave it a go with 118 beta. (btw i have an nVidia 550 Ti with latest officially accepted drivers.)

1) Panasonic viera 42: I had no issues at all. 3D and bitstream work. No lip synch or auto refresh rate issues.
2) Acer 5360 PJ: TMT selects 1080p at 60 Hz first and later selects 720p at 120 Hz.
However, 3D might drop to 2D in the first opening. Don't close TMT and just replay it. You will be able to watch 3D in the second trial.

I think we are very close to where we are as supposed to be.

I'm sure TMT 5 118 will work with Ati as well since TMT 3 is already working with its 3D patch.

Stereoscopic Player 1.7.7:

It works in any case with SSIF files but what a pity subtitles is missing.

_ _ _ _ _ __
wsy480's Avatar wsy480 01:31 AM 01-14-2012
Here is my setup that i need help with
1.dell xps studio 7100 x6 with ati raedeon 5450 running win7 64bit
2.Onkyo tx-sr706 avr
3.mitsu wd-73c9 TV
off the raedeon card i have one DVI-HDMI cable going to the tv and one HDMI-HDMI cable going to the avr
now my problem is that everything seems to be working ok except the only sound out of the avr is in stereo...is there somewhere to fix this? do i have the cables plugged in the wrong location? cause the default graphics card has hdmi so wasnt sure...i figured the raedeon card is better...someone please help i would love to fix this problem
renethx's Avatar renethx 01:48 AM 01-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsy480 View Post

2.Onkyo tx-sr706 avr
3.mitsu wd-73c9 TV
off the raedeon card i have one DVI-HDMI cable going to the tv and one HDMI-HDMI cable going to the avr
now my problem is that everything seems to be working ok except the only sound out of the avr is in stereo...is there somewhere to fix this? do i have the cables plugged in the wrong location? cause the default graphics card has hdmi so wasnt sure...i figured the raedeon card is better...someone please help i would love to fix this problem

As WD-73C9 supports only the checkerboard 3D video format (pictures for the left and right eyes are downsampled in a grid pattern and stored in the normal 2D video format), you don't have to use two cables, one is enough.

GPU -> video/audio over HDMI -> HDMI 1.3 AVR -> video over HDMI -> WD-73C9

Select "checkerboard" in PowerDVD/TMT.
wsy480's Avatar wsy480 12:51 AM 01-15-2012
oh ok ill do...what about the audio issue..how do i get my surround to work...right now im using xbmc...is there a way to make the surround work properly
renethx's Avatar renethx 01:00 AM 01-15-2012
Quote:

oh ok ill do...what about the audio issue..how do i get my surround to work...right now im using xbmc...is there a way to make the surround work properly

XBMC? It does neither support BR 3D (MVC decode) nor convert BR 3D to checkerboard. Or are you talking about other 3D video sources such as SBS?
ricabullah's Avatar ricabullah 06:58 AM 01-15-2012
Today i gave it a go with my Ati cards again. (5450, 6850)
Both of them are playing 3D over TMT5, PDVD11 and SP with my Panny Viera.

But i have to extend my monitors to get HD audio over my Denon 1910. (HDMI 1.3) I have to use an HDMI to HDMI cable to my TV to get 3D.
And I use a DVI to HDMI calbe to my AVR to get audio.

But I couldn't extend my monitors. (I can extend them with my nVidia btw.)
The opening screen is my AVR's display and there is no taskbar and only Seven background and some desktop shortcuts exist. (as expected.)

When I right-click and select the screen resolution; "screen resolution window" opens on the second monitor (TV) and I can not reach it unless switching off my AVR.

Any help would be appreciated.
wsy480's Avatar wsy480 11:53 AM 01-15-2012
no i mean since the 3d is out for me with my tv....how do it proper surround sound setup...
renethx's Avatar renethx 12:22 PM 01-15-2012
System > Settings > Audio output?
SleepWalker2's Avatar SleepWalker2 02:05 PM 01-15-2012
Quote:

2.Onkyo tx-sr706 avr
3.mitsu wd-73c9 TV

I'm not an expert but I'm really not sure you can send the movie on one hdmi out and the sound on the other. Certainly not if you are planning to do bitstreaming. I have a Radeon 6850 and I had searched a bit about the possibility of sending video directly to the tv wanting to keep my avr away from "touching" the video. Even checked for an hdmi splitter but in the end what I understood is that I just had to send everything to the AVR via hdmi-hdmi and then connect the avr to the tv again with hdmi-hdmi.

You could send the audio seperatly using the optical out but then you couldn't use DTS-HD and TrueHD.
renethx's Avatar renethx 02:37 PM 01-15-2012
BTW you can do that (video over one HDMI cable, audio over another HDMI cable) without problems with a NVIDIA card. This table and the comments following that.
First ... 31  32  33 34  35  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop