Here's what I plan to do with my HTPC:
- Hook it up to my 40' Samsung LCD dinosaur that outputs in 1368x768 (what an odd resolution)
- DVR preferably record one and watch one. Also, I want to DVR HD channels.
- Play all downloaded movies; can I upscale average quality to 1080i?
- Stream from youtube, hulu and other sites through boxee media; also sopcast soccer games
- I would like to use it as a NAS too
- Play games... nothing hardcore, maybe NFS, FIFA, Madden
So here's the list I picked out: (Forum wouldn't let me post URLs, so removing them.)
Case - nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case = $80
Mobo - can't decide between these 3, but if you've got a better suggestion let me know
1. Foxconn Cinema II Deluxe - at New Egg
2. ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3
3. MSI 785GM-E65 AM3
CPU - Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz = $60
Is this enough for what I need to do or do I need the Phenom variety or X3 / X4 variety? I am fine with spending upto $100, but not if I don't need it.
Power Supply: (Is 500W enough?)
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W @ New Egg
RAM - (what's the cheapest place to get 4GB DDR3 ram?)
OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 @ New Egg
I already have an OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD as boot drive = $80
Graphics Card / Sound Card - Do I need any of these? I don't have an A/V receiver, just plain TV speakers.
TV Tuner: ASUS My Cinema EHD3-100 HDTV/FM Tuner (not sure if it's still available) good reviews @ benchmarkreviews.com - $120
Any other TV tuner suggestions are welcome - I want to record from my HD FIOS cable box and watch cable at the same time.
My total is approx = $575
Please review, recommend or trash any of my picks. All opinions welcome.