HTPC...need help diagnosing problem. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 04-26-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am running windows 7 64bit. Here is pretty much what happens, i turn on my computer and the Operating system boots and everything seems ok but the after about 3-6 minutes of running everything becomes unresponsive. The mouse pointer moves around but anything i click wont open, i cant start task manager,etc. its like the computer freezes but the mouse pointer can still move around. This also happens in safe mode but after a much longer time period.

The one thing i did do was run memtest, but it said my memory was ok. I also have a hp mediasmart server which i used to restore to a previous backup but the issue persisted ( which i think means its most likely hardware problem?). Need some help solving this. Thanks in advance.

Here are my system specs:
HP m7480n
4gb ram
ati 4350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

When did you install Windows 7 or did it come pre-installed on your HP computer?
post #3 of 38 Old 04-26-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Might be something that is installed that runs on startup but takes a while to load that is causing an issue. I cant say for sure but maybe go into start run msconfig and then startup and just uncheck the crap you dont need to start with windows anyways. It will speed things up in general and may fix the issue. Maybe try uninstalling unnecessary programs as well. Could be something else too.
post #4 of 38 Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
what do you have for a heatsink? it sounds like it could be a thermal issue as well.

"The satisfaction of a great price will be overshadowed by the bitterness of poor quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear
You still measure your TV in "inches"? Thats so cute! :D
post #5 of 38 Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 PM

Try and start in safe mode, if everything is fine then start looking at drivers
post #6 of 38 Old 04-26-2010, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Kegobeer - it originally had XP...but i ran win7 64bit beta and upgraded to win 7 64bit around january so i dont think thats the issue. Unless an update caused it.

Ogormask - i'll try and repost

zryder - its a stock heatsink. i did remove it a while back cleaned the chip and applied artic silver and reseated it. this was probably a couple of months ago. should i redo this? or is there i way i can check the temps in windows 7before having to do this again?

SUBCOB - i have started it in safe mode with networking. it did run for a while and i tried to download agv antivirus to see if maybe it was a virus causing this but the computer froze before the download could finish. how do you start looking at the drivers? and which drivers should i be looking at? Also i did restore to a prior backup (1 month prior to problem) that i had on my server and the issue remained. Would that mean that its not driver or software issue?

thanks for the quick responses and anyone else who reads the post to please chime in.
post #7 of 38 Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode22 View Post

... after about 3-6 minutes of running everything becomes unresponsive. The mouse pointer moves around but anything i click wont open, i cant start task manager,etc.

By "unresponsive" do you mean the only thing that does not work is mouse clicks? Seems like the PC is still responding to mouse movement.

What about keyboard input? Do you know how to maneuver in a GUI with the Windows (between Ctrl and Alt) and arrow keys? CTRL + Alt + Del should bring up the menu that includes Task Manager.

Is there another PC on the network that you can check if the PC is responsive on the net?
post #8 of 38 Old 04-26-2010, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z View Post

By "unresponsive" do you mean the only thing that does not work is mouse clicks? Seems like the PC is still responding to mouse movement.

What about keyboard input? Do you know how to maneuver in a GUI with the Windows (between Ctrl and Alt) and arrow keys? CTRL + Alt + Del should bring up the menu that includes Task Manager.

Is there another PC on the network that you can check if the PC is responsive on the net?

by unresponsive i mean no matter what i do (like click the start button, press ctrl+alt+delete to get task manager, try and open or close a window/folder) nothing happens. the only thing i am able to do is move the mouse pointer around but no input is recognized (keyboard or mouse)...i eventually have to hold the power button down to turn off the computer.

Yeah the problem is only on my desktop ...my laptop works fine.
post #9 of 38 Old 04-27-2010, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Since the mouse pointer still responds, the computer is not frozen. It also does not sound like a hardware or temperature issue to me. Bad memory would give you blue screens, overheating would freeze everything, bad power supply would reboot.

It happens in Safe Mode too, so it's not a driver problem. Are you getting any popups? I'd try booting to the Win7 DVD and trying a System Restore back to when it was working. If that fails, reinstall. Something got borked somewhere along the line.
post #10 of 38 Old 04-27-2010, 10:24 AM

What kind of mouse and keyboard are you using?

If it's USB try a PS/2 set or vise versa. I recently had a server with a USB keyboard on it that would crash randomly. I put a PS/2 on it to try and record a memory dump, then the darn thing wouldn't crash. That keyboard (USB) had been on the server for over two years then all of a sudden it started crashing. I don't know how many hours I spent trying to figure it out and talking to tech support. It was aggravating.

It's these little things you don't think about that can be the hardest to diagnose. Hell it's worth a shot anyway.

A.J.
post #11 of 38 Old 04-27-2010, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

A quick way to isolate the problem software/hardware is download a copy of ubuntu and run it off the CD. If the problems still exists you have a hardware problem.
post #12 of 38 Old 04-27-2010, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

spivonious - I dont have any pop-ups. i've already restored from a previous back up that was stored on my mediasmart server ( from a month before issues).

SDMF_Reaps - its a logitech dinovo edge. i'll see if i can find a wired keyboard/mice to try it out. or maybe reinstall the drivers for the dinovo.

Servicetech571 - yeah that sounds like a good plan. i'll give it a go. what kind of harware failure do my symtoms resemble? memory, power supply, or heat issues, or something else?
post #13 of 38 Old 04-27-2010, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

IF it's a hardware issue I'd say processor overheating. Check the heat sink and see if fan is turning and check dust levels.
post #14 of 38 Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like a "memory leak" that takes a few minutes before all of your memory and page file is consumed. As soon as it boots open task manager and set it to always on top and the processes tab. Sort by memory consumption and watch what happens. If one of the processes keeps consuming more and more memory, kill it and see if the problem goes away.

BB

New wealth is created in 2 ways:
You dig it from the ground (mining and oil)
Or you grow it (fishing, farming and forestry).
Everything else is just processing what you dug up or grew.
post #15 of 38 Old 04-27-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 View Post

It sounds like a "memory leak" that takes a few minutes before all of your memory and page file is consumed. As soon as it boots open task manager and set it to always on top and the processes tab. Sort by memory consumption and watch what happens. If one of the processes keeps consuming more and more memory, kill it and see if the problem goes away.

BB

Hmm...that is plausible, but should have gone away with the restore.
post #16 of 38 Old 04-27-2010, 07:42 PM

dmode, a lot of good trouble-shooting advise. Comes quick here. I would rule out the USB keyboard and mouse first. You can attempt to change the USB dongle to a different USB port then try a PS2 keyboard and mouse. Then move to the last thing you did to your machine prior to the freezes.

Is a fresh install possible for you, with out upgrading from the beta?
post #17 of 38 Old 04-28-2010, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're still on the beta, then that's the problem. It's expired.
post #18 of 38 Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Im not running win7 beta im on the actual OS.

I tried the mouse usb thing...same issues.

I also removed the heatsink and cleaned the processor and reapplied artic silver reset it. Now when i turn on the computer it just hangs on the win7 boot screen (sigh). I also tried to boot in safe mode and it just hangs after..... "LOADED: \\windows\\system32\\drivers\\classpnp.sys "
I also tried booting from the win7 disc to just reinstall the OS and same thing it just hangs on the starting windows screen.

Any tips? ideas?
post #19 of 38 Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm afraid you have to do a complete reinstall of Win7 making sure you do a format of the drive the OS is on. Then keep track of what you do and if and when the same problem starts up again.

At this point there are too many variables that COULD cause the problem. I suspect you won't ever find out unless you do a reinstall.

fafner
post #20 of 38 Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

fafner - when i try to reinstall win7 from the cd heres what happens.
first i get blue hp screen, then i get press any key to boot from cd, then windows is loading files, then the windows 7 "starting windows" screen comes up and then it just hangs there. have tried a couple of times now and same sequence of events happens
post #21 of 38 Old 04-28-2010, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Googling "windows 7 install hangs at starting windows" will give you a zillion hits. Everything from flakey psus to bios upgrades. It seems the most common is a bios issue. Lots of tips on what to look for. Try searching for your mobo with Win7 and bios.

Good Luck

BB

New wealth is created in 2 ways:
You dig it from the ground (mining and oil)
Or you grow it (fishing, farming and forestry).
Everything else is just processing what you dug up or grew.
post #22 of 38 Old 04-29-2010, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Bad hard drive, maybe?
post #23 of 38 Old 04-29-2010, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode22 View Post

fafner - when i try to reinstall win7 from the cd heres what happens.
first i get blue hp screen, then i get press any key to boot from cd, then windows is loading files, then the windows 7 "starting windows" screen comes up and then it just hangs there. have tried a couple of times now and same sequence of events happens

Your problem is that HP has some hidden software that produces the HP screen and god knows what else. You need to get rid of that software. It is probably on a hidden partition. Google for a free partition manager software (or one that gives you a free trial version.) That should allow you to remove the hidden partition.

If you are familiar with DOS, you can also look for a free Diskpart utility that will let you do the same so long as you can learn the switches for Dispart. You ususally can find them by typing diskpart /? in the DOS windows.

Let me know if you are still having problems.

fafner
post #24 of 38 Old 04-29-2010, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Your problem is that HP has some hidden software that produces the HP screen and god knows what else. You need to get rid of that software. It is probably on a hidden partition. Google for a free partition manager software (or one that gives you a free trial version.) That should allow you to remove the hidden partition.

If you are familiar with DOS, you can also look for a free Diskpart utility that will let you do the same so long as you can learn the switches for Dispart. You ususally can find them by typing diskpart /? in the DOS windows.

fafner

You don't know what you're talking about. HP has programmed that screen into the BIOS. There's no way to get rid of it short of flashing the BIOS with an unsupported version.

My vote goes for hard drive or power supply. If it's still under warranty, I'd call HP if you find a piece of hardware is bad. They will most likely send you a new one for free.
post #25 of 38 Old 04-29-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

You don't know what you're talking about. HP has programmed that screen into the BIOS. There's no way to get rid of it short of flashing the BIOS with an unsupported version.

My vote goes for hard drive or power supply. If it's still under warranty, I'd call HP if you find a piece of hardware is bad. They will most likely send you a new one for free.

You may be right and I may be right. I have seen OEM's do it both ways. I would still recommend that a partition manager be run to see if there is a hidden partition on the disk. If so, it could be causing all kinds of problems.

BTW, there is a polite way of offering a differing opinion. I suggest you learn to use it or you will not be very respected on the forum.

fafner
post #26 of 38 Old 04-29-2010, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

fafner

Ubuntu 10.04 has a great partition editor built right in. It's FREE and doesn't require knowledge of DOS commands. Runs off CD.
post #27 of 38 Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 PM

Liked: 147
I have seen this exact problem before, caused by two different issues.

First is a failing power supply. This can cause many issues, so it is usually a good place to look.
Second is an overheating video card or video chip on the motherboard. Windows uses hardware accelleration for the mouse cursor, but when hardware fails it has the ability to fall back to software mode, which is why you may have the cursor but nothing else.

Easy fix is always the best to try first. Get a cooling fan and put it in your case. Face it towards the video card so you get more cooling on the card. If this does not do it, run with the case lid off to see if it is just a general heat issue.

Buy a new power supply next. Go for a high efficiency one, might as well save electric bill money when you spend power supply money, right?
post #28 of 38 Old 04-29-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

If you do get a new power supply, use this to figure out how many watts you need. It's been very accurate in my experiences.
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
post #29 of 38 Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 PM

Try disabling the optical drive in the BIOS and see if that clears up your freezing problem.
post #30 of 38 Old 04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof._radar View Post

Try disabling the optical drive in the BIOS and see if that clears up your freezing problem.

Also try disabling the floppy drive if you actually don't have one.

fafner
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page