gpu scaling, itc processing and pixel format - need help with CCC settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a 5770.

i'm outputting to a panasonic tc-p50g20 (50" plasma) via hdmi at 1920x1080 60Hz.

i've got the tv's display settings (in CCC) up in front of me and i'm unsure about a few things.

1.) gpu scaling - on the attributes tab of CCC, there is a checkbox for "Enable GPU scaling" which i currently have checked. the three options beneath this checkbox are all grayed out, however "Scale image to full panel size" is selected.

2.) itc processing - also on the attributes tab of CCC, i have a check in the "Enable ITC processing" box. not even sure what this does? should it be enabled/disabled and why/why not?

3.) pixel format - on the pixel format tab, there are four options in the drop down. they are:

YCbCr 4:4:4
YCbCr 4:2:2
RGB 4:4:4 Studio (Limited RGB)
RGB 4:4:4 PC Standard (Full RGB)

i currently have YCbCr 4:4:4 selected. is this the appropriate option or is one of the other options preferred? (note: on my tv, i am able to set HDMI/DVI range to auto such that the tv will automatically adjust between a 16-235 signal and 0-255 signal.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 12:11 PM

Can't speak to your other questions, but for my setup to get a correct picture I had to set pixel format to RGB 4:4:4 Full, and then in your tv's options turn it to limited, or studio levels. That's what was recomended to me in somy's guide if I remember correctly and it's worked great! When you do this make sure you set your contrast and brightness controls to their stock value, and the adjust after the change
Old 05-03-2010, 06:30 AM

Are you sure your "Limited RGB" signal is not 4:2:2? (Those are numbers normally are applied to YCbCr colorspaces, so I am a little confused.)

Regardless, if you have a modern display/receiver etc you should be able to run full 0-256 without problems. ("Auto" on your display should calibrate itself. Actually I take that back - my Pioneer Kuro needs to also be set to 0-256 for some reason...) However, just to be sure make sure you don't have any "black crush" issues - I can link many tests etc, but it's pretty obvious - if you see nothing darker than grey at 16-236 (the standard definition of "limited" RGB...,) then you should expand the output to the full spectrum. However, if it's already dark at the former, then you may be losing the low/high-ends. This was a much bigger problem a couple years ago, so you should be fine.

As far as YCbCr or RGB - heh, I have been wrestling with that question for a while. One colorspace format is intrinsic to televisions and the other to computer monitors. I eventually decided to output YCbCr since that is generally the AV-side, and my Yamaha receiver can display test-screens at the low/high ends at 4:2:2 but in the end as long as you aren't losing anything by double-expanding, it is just a matter of taste or even theory...

I quickly typed a bunch of stuff there - I apologize if it is vague, or worse, outright misleading....