Need help deciding on the receiver setup for HTPC/TV/5.1/2.1 speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-02-2010, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I need help dealing with a dilemma with the Acoustic Research HD510 speakers I got on Amazon.

Here are my components:
The 2 speaker systems were hooked up in a 7.2 setup, because my motherboard supports 4 audio outs - 3 going to the 5.1 and 1 to the 2.1. The driver actually supports a 7.1 setup, so it worked out pretty well... until the 5.1 system died.

The TV was not hooked up to the audio system at all and used its own internal speakers.

Unfortunately, when getting a replacement speaker system, I didn't pay attention to the fact that HD510 was not actually meant for computers and required a receiver (the price tag of $149.99 blinded me a bit).

So, now that I have them, I have a dilemma: either figure out a receiver that would be able to support my previous 5.1+2.1 setup and then plug a TV into it as well, or return the speakers and eat the $50 or so on shipping, and then get a computer 5.1 system.

Since I've never dealt with a receiver before, I want to ask you guys - the pros, what my options are at this point. Is there a model that would support these 4 3.5" outputs from the computer and output an 8 channel sound?

Thank you in advance. I hope there is a solution here.

Alternatively, if anyone wants to buy these, brand new, in San Francisco, I'll let them go for $150 which is what I paid minus shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

Let's try this again, this time in the HTPC forum (thanks to mods for moving this from Receivers) - can anyone versed in the HTPC field give me a nay or a aye please? The time to return this bad boy is running out.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by archon810 View Post

Thanks.

Let's try this again, this time in the HTPC forum (thanks to mods for moving this from Receivers) - can anyone versed in the HTPC field give me a nay or a aye please? The time to return this bad boy is running out.

Boy, where to start, there are lots of options and suggestions.
An AVR with multi-channel inputs will run you at least $400 or more.
The easiest would be to get a cheap 5-channel amp and hooked it between the HTPC and the speakers.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-03-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

Boy, where to start, there are lots of options and suggestions.
An AVR with multi-channel inputs will run you at least $400 or more.
The easiest would be to get a cheap 5-channel amp and hooked it between the HTPC and the speakers.

Thanks. Can you give an example of an amp that I would need and an AVR that would work here please?

In the case I go with an amp, would I be able to connect the TV to it as well or it's out of the question?
post #5 of 5 Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by archon810 View Post

Thanks. Can you give an example of an amp that I would need and an AVR that would work here please?

In the case I go with an amp, would I be able to connect the TV to it as well or it's out of the question?

I don't know of any cheap ones, though I'd read a post where someone got a brand new 5-ch amp for $125 (not sure on the quality).
You won't be able to hook up your TV to that.
If you want to hook up multiple components then an AVR is your best option.
Here's a link to some AVRs on newegg.

Do you have/want HD audio?
What is the TV's source; antenna, cable, satellite?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page