Improving HD Playback & Tivo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-07-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I walk into Best Buy today and checked out a few HD T.V,'s that look much better than mine with Blue Ray movies. I wonder why since I have a Pioneer Elite Plasma TV. A knowledgable salesman mentioned that it's probably one of these problems:

1) Playstation 3 does not prodcue as nice of a picture. He suggested maybe going for a dedicated Pioneer Blue Ray Player. If so, which model do you think is the one to get (e.g., BDP-320FD or BDP-23FD)? I'll be going digtal out on the audio into high end DACs on my SSP.
2) I'm using component instead of HDMI
3) I might have certain settings either in my TV or PS3 that are throwing off the picture

What do you folks think?

I'm also looking for opinions on Tivo Premier XL. The alternative for me is to continue with what I have, which is Verizon Fios Receiver/DVR and using my PS3 for streaming Net Flix.

Are the benefits of Tivo worth the cost in yoru view? Do you think Tivo will continue to be around for a while? Is it worth getting the more expensive model?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-07-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Its because stores jack up the settings on the TVs.
Some of course are just better but any display can produce a good picture with proper calibration.
Just search for "Display Calibration" or "TV Calibration" on a search engine and on this website. In fact, Calibration has its own forum here. Check it out.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-07-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

Its because stores jack up the settings on the TVs.
Some of course are just better but any display can produce a good picture with proper calibration.
Just search for "Display Calibration" or "TV Calibration" on a search engine and on this website. In fact, Calibration has its own forum here. Check it out.

Thanks very much!! My observations about the picture quality were related to better textures (e.g. skin tones) and a more "3D like" presentation, not that the T.V. was brighter, more vivid or exciting. My Pioneer Elite Plasma (one of the early generation 61 inch plasmas) is not nearly as nice whe playing a Blue Ray through my PS3.

But I will look into calibration. It would be great if I could find an affordable expert to do the calibration for me. I'll search.

Thanks!
Dave
post #4 of 11 Old 05-07-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightdrive21 View Post

1) Playstation 3 does not prodcue as nice of a picture. He suggested maybe going for a dedicated Pioneer Blue Ray Player. If so, which model do you think is the one to get (e.g., BDP-320FD or BDP-23FD)? I'll be going digtal out on the audio into high end DACs on my SSP.

That's crap, everything I've read is that purely on PQ for Blu-ray, the PS3 is pretty much as good as anything. I guess my question to you is what's "better" about them? Stores like WorstBuy usually have their TVs setup quite badly, but generally very bright.

To get the best PQ what you need to do is run a calibration disc (DVE or the AVS709 disc you can download from a thread here, do a search) and make sure your basic calibration is right.

Quote:
2) I'm using component instead of HDMI

Not going to make much difference if you've got stuff setup right (I've tried, side by side).

Quote:
3) I might have certain settings either in my TV or PS3 that are throwing off the picture

This is the most likely, that or you like the inaccurate punchy sort of picture the stores generally have their TVs set to. If you've got a DVD burner, download this and burn a DVD and do a basic calibration on your TV (or use DVE if you've already got it):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #5 of 11 Old 05-07-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is your TV 1080P?
post #6 of 11 Old 05-07-2010, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

Is your TV 1080P?

DING! If it's an early generation as he says it's probably not 1080p (especially if he's using component). Thus his Bluray is actually displaying at 1080i or 720p. This is going to look worse then 1080p which is pretty much what every TV is nowadays.

I think this is the issue more then anything, outside of calibration. If the TV isn't 1080p then there isn't much that calibration is going to do to bring it up to 1080p quality. It can help, but it's not 1080p.

Scott
post #7 of 11 Old 05-09-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

DING! If it's an early generation as he says it's probably not 1080p (especially if he's using component). Thus his Bluray is actually displaying at 1080i or 720p. This is going to look worse then 1080p which is pretty much what every TV is nowadays.

I think this is the issue more then anything, outside of calibration. If the TV isn't 1080p then there isn't much that calibration is going to do to bring it up to 1080p quality. It can help, but it's not 1080p.

Thanks guys. Yes my tv is 1080i. I did not realize that there would be such a difference between 1080i and 1080p. What would you estimate the difference to be in a percentage?

I'll try calibration and adjusting my settings to make improvements. Thanks to all who responded for the advice and links.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-09-2010, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Since it is an older set, it is likely a 1366x768 panel. Not matter what resolution you send to it, the Elite is scaling it to 1366x768 to display it. The panel is a progressive display, so the standard HD signals 1280 x 720p or 1920x1080i will be deinterlaced (1080i) and scaled to 1366x768p. Not sure what other resolutions it will accept or if it will accept PC input. It will probably say 'resolution not accepted' for 1080p signals. Your TIVO and PS3 probably have a setting to output either 1080i or 720p signal. Try both, and see which is the best. Not sure about the BR settings but but it should not look like ass. Those Pioneers were/are a very good panel and much sought after.

BB

New wealth is created in 2 ways:
You dig it from the ground (mining and oil)
Or you grow it (fishing, farming and forestry).
Everything else is just processing what you dug up or grew.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-10-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightdrive21 View Post

Thanks guys. Yes my tv is 1080i. I did not realize that there would be such a difference between 1080i and 1080p. What would you estimate the difference to be in a percentage?

At least for my eyes there is a noticeable difference between 720p/1080i and 1080p. 1080p just looks more "alive" to me.

Scott
post #10 of 11 Old 05-10-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again fellas !!
post #11 of 11 Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I really hate to be rude, but what does this have to do with HTPC's?
Mod's, please move..

"The satisfaction of a great price will be overshadowed by the bitterness of poor quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear
You still measure your TV in "inches"? Thats so cute! :D
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page