Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 180 Old 10-31-2010, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaqxman View Post

No it plays choppy for me, even if I don't maximize the player to 1080 screen. May I ask you what your setup is to play mkv? codec/filter etc

No special codecs have been loaded. I can play it with both VLC and Windows Media Player Classic.

I'm currently on the 258 series of Nvidia drivers. If I'm not mistaken, I might have had an issue with choppiness with the 260 series (the latest).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 180 Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 PM

sigh, but either way, the fact that it cannot play hulu at fullscreen makes this a piece of junk to me... I guess I should have done my research before assuming ion2 is an upgrade from the 1st gen.
post #153 of 180 Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Any nVidia chipset is a dead end.
post #154 of 180 Old 11-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Ix
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Far too many of us got suckered in to the "ION 2". Even today if you Google ION 2 performance you'll just find a bunch of reviews and such from earlier in the year talking about Flash 10.1 and the original ION (which itself only works so-so with Hulu Desktop). Hardly a mention of the fact that the new ION, while a step forward in some respects, is in fact many steps backwards for Flash and Silverlight performance.

Considering the thing is aimed squarely at the HTPC market this is just inexcusable. If that's the path they've decided to take then fine, it's their business, but they should at the least be up front about it, instead of letting consumers find out the hard way. There isn't even an official name for it, they are sticking with "ION", it's only unofficially the ION 2, which makes it even harder to distinguish in reviews which is which. Not a coincidence I bet.

It'll be a long time before I buy any nVidia product, no matter how good or how cheap, again.
post #155 of 180 Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 AM

Hi guys, I have a suggestion for those having trouble playing 1080p content on their ION HTPC. Try using a player called Splash Lite. It was basically developed with us in mind, and it enables full hardware acceleration and offloads all the work to the GPU. My Lenovo Q150 was failing epically on 1080p video using VLC as a player, but with Splash Lite it's smooth as silk. Very nice UI too.
post #156 of 180 Old 11-10-2010, 03:38 PM

I found out why my ion2 revo was not playing 1080P well. It was because I was using directvobsub for subtitle. If I choose not to use any additional directshow filter to display subtitle, the machine plays 1080P just fine. However, if I try to display subtitle via vobsub or using ffdshow as a decoder, then stuttering / AV-unsync issues kick in. So I guess I have to watch 1080P without embedded or external subtitles, but most of my collections are foreign films...
Still no luck with displaying HULU in fullscreeen.
Overall, this has turned out to be a useless purchase I cannot return. Bummer.
post #157 of 180 Old 11-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
I just installed the latest driver's and my windows index for graphics went from 4.6 to 4.8, and for 3d went from 5.6 to 5.9, so I decided to try one playing the file that's been giving me th most issues, and to my surpise, it's working over the network, it stuttering a little for the first 30 seconds or so, but seems to be working without the buffering issue I had experienced before.

I'm running boxee, and if I move the mouse to get the screen overlays to appear, it will stutter just ever lightly, but it seems to be working.

edit
Just to clarify, i'm streaming stright m2ts rips from my whs which seem to be working, the mkv's are still buffering.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #158 of 180 Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 PM

The 2 onboard SATA II connections are a limiting factor for adding storage, does anyone know if a sata port multiplier like the Addonics will work with the Asus Atom d525?

http://www.addonics.com/products/hos.../ad5sapm-e.asp
post #159 of 180 Old 12-09-2010, 06:58 PM

Hi,
Has anyone actually pulled the motherboard out of one of the new Jetway Minitops? I know there's a PCI-e slot with the wifi adapter in it, but I'm wondering if there is a second PCI-e slot? Some of the other Atom-Ion2 boards have 2 slots, and I've seen a hint on another site that the Jetway might. Can anyone confirm one way or the other? Just wondering if there's a chance of sticking a tuner inside the case...
post #160 of 180 Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 AM

OK, I answered my own question. The Jetway Minitop motherboard has only one PCI-e slot on the backside, and it's populated by the WiFi card. The card is 50mm long but only the bottom half is populated with components.
I also noticed that the fan does not line up very well with the ventilation hole in the board on the backside. The fan is also not mounted flush on the frontside of the board, it sits up on two small spacers, so there is a gap all the way around the edge between the bottom of the fan housing and the board. Others have stated that the fan is quiet, but I think it's very noticeable in a quiet room, similar to an average laptop when the machine is running.
LL
post #161 of 180 Old 12-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

I sold my ION 2 Q150 on ebay, man does ebay charge high fees, and throw in the paypal fees, you come out of the deal walking funny if you know what I mean.

Anyway, After building the Foxconn systems, see page two of the thread, the system is great plenty of horse power for HTPC usage. My real complaint is the case, I just don't like it, looks to much like a computer and not an audio video component.

And now I'm building another system going with the I3-550 with a Mini ITX board. Here's alink to my parts, I'm really looking forward to the case, took me forever to decide on one, wanted the smallest possible,just hope it all fits, oh and the case has a place for case fan, I'll pick up a low rpm fan later after I determine how thick of fan I can go with 10mm, 15 or 25.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-065-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135259
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220435
http://www.directron.com/wi12s.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131339

I was looking at this case, looks sweet, http://www.directron.com/emc800b.html and I was going to go with the zotac su2300 embbed CPU mother board with Ion GPU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-059-_-Product), and for a little more, decided to go with the I3, though I had to go with a bigger case, but no worries.

I'll report back in a few weeks, I know this is the ion2 thread, but I think the coversations is dead. lol

post #162 of 180 Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Whew!!! Finally finished reading this and linked threads.

I went and got the Zotac Zbox HD-ID11 today before reading this post, but out of all the mentioned nettop's this one is just as good as the Leveno, and is cheaper.

I will better be able to review it when it arrives, and will probably install multiple OS's; Windows 7 64 bit, XBMC-Live, latest Dharma.

I added 4g memory and 250g HDD 7200.
I understand that SSD are nice, but I am not about to spend more on a HDD than everything else put together. (In a year or so, SSD will be the price of Sata II drives today.)

Now one unit no one has mentioned, which I really wanted, but were out of stock almost everywhere, and not available in Canada is the Giada Slim N-20 (Review)

Does anyone have this nettop?

I look forward to reviewing Zotac, and mine will be mainly used for streaming local media, as we only have Netflix here in Canada, and from what I can see is not worth the $10 (with tax) a month to see old movies.
post #163 of 180 Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

I sold my ION 2 Q150 on ebay, man does ebay charge high fees, and throw in the paypal fees, you come out of the deal walking funny if you know what I mean.

Anyway, After building the Foxconn systems, see page two of the thread, the system is great plenty of horse power for HTPC usage. My real complaint is the case, I just don't like it, looks to much like a computer and not an audio video component.

And now I'm building another system going with the I3-550 with a Mini ITX board. Here's alink to my parts, I'm really looking forward to the case, took me forever to decide on one, wanted the smallest possible,just hope it all fits, oh and the case has a place for case fan, I'll pick up a low rpm fan later after I determine how thick of fan I can go with 10mm, 15 or 25.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-065-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135259
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220435
http://www.directron.com/wi12s.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131339

I was looking at this case, looks sweet, http://www.directron.com/emc800b.html and I was going to go with the zotac su2300 embbed CPU mother board with Ion GPU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-059-_-Product), and for a little more, decided to go with the I3, though I had to go with a bigger case, but no worries.

I'll report back in a few weeks, I know this is the ion2 thread, but I think the coversations is dead. lol

Please keep us updated! I jumped off the HTPC "dream" a few months ago and started looking for simple, standalone players. I bought a Netgear NTV550, and it is pretty good (full menu BD ISO playback!), but now they are going to implement Cinavia protection, and photo browsing is really sluggish.....so I'm back to considering an HTPC.

Plus, it looks like XBMC now allows basic (not full menu) BD ISO playback. cool.

How much did your system cost?

I want something that will play back all of my BD ISO rips, with HD audio bitstreaming, and perform well with Hulu, Netflix, etc. I assume your new system does all of those well?

Thanks!
post #164 of 180 Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 AM

Hi guys,

I have a 120hz TV and I just got the Lenovo IdeaCentre Q150. The manual says to set the refresh rate of my TV to 60hz to avoid damage to the TV. I have a Denon receiver that I'd like to run the Lenovo through, so I can get surround.

Do I REALLY need to set the TV hz down to 60? I know in Windows, you set the refresh / hz rate in monitor settings. Will this automatically set my TV refresh rate to the correct rate, or do I need to set this on the TV?

Anyone ran into this question / issue before? Any advice would be helpful; google wasn't much help.

Thanks!
post #165 of 180 Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Has anyway got one of these Asrock ION 3D 152D:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856158016

I don't need BlueRay hence the DVD version. In fact I won't even be playing DVDs through it as I already have a DVD player in my setup. I will be using this as a music (iTunes) player mainly plus viewing pictures and videos, and internet access.

Thanks.
post #166 of 180 Old 02-20-2011, 08:40 AM

Nobody tested one yet?
post #167 of 180 Old 02-20-2011, 02:41 PM
G--

Liked: 11
I have the Lenovo q150 which is similar to this. It's a little underpowered but love the power consumption as my bedroom HTPC/ server. Once silverlight 5 is released and flash offloading becomes a little more mature it will be the perfect little machine. Bluray playback is excellent and has no problems with recording and playback of HD qam.
post #168 of 180 Old 02-24-2011, 03:26 PM

Thanks. I will take a look.
post #169 of 180 Old 02-28-2011, 02:55 PM

I've read this thread thoroughly and I'm stunned to find ASUS is still marketing this product as a HD capable ententainment center. I'm not quite certain if it will ever work decoding H.264 live streams. This is related to whether the problem resides in the ION2 driver or in Intel chipset design. The latter would make it useless as is.

However I am wondering if a Mini PCI-e Decoder, replacing the WIFI/BT PCIx1 card will resolve my problems. I am currently using kind of a heavy duty Media Center PC running on a C2D E8400 to capture live cable television which can do the job but is, well, overqualified. The ASUS S1 runs into trouble having to decode HD-channels which are H.264 encrypted. I've tried CoreAVC, FFDSHOW andf Cyberlink Codecs but the system does not seem upto the job, currently, even with the latest drivers installed.

Would the Mini Decoder Card do the job in your opinion or wil this just take some load off the Atom IGP but, eventually, also by putting extra strain on the PCIx1 bandwith, still render the system useless to my purpose?

I would appreciate your answer as I'm still able to return the product as it currently doesn't live up to my expectations.
post #170 of 180 Old 03-01-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdiver View Post

Has anyway got one of these Asrock ION 3D 152D:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856158016

I don't need BlueRay hence the DVD version. In fact I won't even be playing DVDs through it as I already have a DVD player in my setup. I will be using this as a music (iTunes) player mainly plus viewing pictures and videos, and internet access.

Thanks.

Well I have just ordered one from newegg. On sale at $349 plus I had a $50 gift card from newegg. So plus Win 7 64 bit at $99, whole thing was $399. I will let you know how it works out.
post #171 of 180 Old 03-07-2011, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Personally,I think the Ion 2 is a little underpowered, or maybe its the chipset. Though not main stream, zotac has a bare bones and a mother board of some better options with a the celeron SU2300 and the K625 (I think) amd version cpu, the SU2300 is tied to the ion GPU and the AMD included an onboard Radeon 4200 which is a couple of notches above the ion GPU. Both of these were referenced earleir in the thread, but the adoption rate was very slow.

I ended up going with a I core 3 550 on an ECS Mini ITX mother board, I had purchase a dedicated GPU, Radeon 5450, but the case I purchased, had some issues, and the GPU would not seat correclty, ended up using the embedded intel graphics, which have done the job of playing HD with out a hitch, in a case that's 10X10x3. This is my main HTPC.

My Foxcon box is still kicking as well, I think I'll have another look a the available options later in the year, the box is little large for the location.

For those with the D525 CPU, has there been any success with flash and netflix? The D510 just could not cut it.

Edit, Correction, The AMD cpu is the L325 with the 3200 radeon on board video, I would say is is equal to the ion gpu.

post #172 of 180 Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 AM

ASUS came out with a BIOS update last month. People are reporting it fixed the problem with the Hauppage tuner not being recognized on the rev 1.03 board.
post #173 of 180 Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

AMD ha a new chip out that rivals the atom. It has a little more Horse Power, 742 passmark vs 658 on the atom D510, on board video, and comes in roughly the same price point depending on the board maker. Lots of choices now in the space.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mot...ards-preview/3

post #174 of 180 Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 AM

Does the ION 2 platform properly support 23.976 playback?
post #175 of 180 Old 06-12-2011, 11:53 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm a portuguese user and i am trying to buy a media center and i´m newbie in this so i have many questions and i need your help.

I´m thinking on buying this equipment ASUS S1-AT5NM10E with a 1TB HDD and 4 GB RAM.

My doubts are:

- Is this a ION2 equipment?
- Is the ZBOX-AD02-E E-350 Fuzion a better choice?
- The Asus is a good choice? Do you recomend another equipment?

Thanks for you help and sorry my bad english.

Thanks.
post #176 of 180 Old 09-12-2011, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I dont know about you guys, but I purchased the lenovo q150 about a year ago and I could not be happier with it, If you get the latest driver HD plays beautifully. I definately recommend it.
post #177 of 180 Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegetter View Post

I dont know about you guys, but I purchased the lenovo q150 about a year ago and I could not be happier with it, If you get the latest driver HD plays beautifully. I definately recommend it.

How is Netflix? I remember there being a problem with silverlight and atom processors. Did that get fixed?
post #178 of 180 Old 12-07-2011, 04:09 PM

I got a D525 with Next-Generation NVIDIA ION, Windows 7 4gb Ram and SSD,
Everything works great, except hulu and Netflix HD, it keep stuttering.
I am going to build a new HTPC because of this, the nettop is going to go to ebay.
post #179 of 180 Old 12-09-2012, 12:49 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share something I just learned. A major benefit to the 2nd generation ION is that it does not suffer from the VDPAU unsupported resolution bug. This is only relevant for linux, where VDPAU allows hardware acceleration for video playback.

From http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/304.64/README/vdpausupport.html
GPUs with this note may not support H.264 streams with the following widths: 49, 54, 59, 64, 113, 118, 123, 128 macroblocks (769-784, 849-864, 929-944, 1009-1024, 1793-1808, 1873-1888, 1953-1968, 2033-2048 pixels).

This means if your video uses any of the listed widths, there will be no GPU acceleration, which for most of these low power systems with weak CPUs, means it will not play.
post #180 of 180 Old 12-09-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
One of the suppliers I work with in China has a D2550/GT610M board they're calling "ION3". These aren't great for Windows but they're really nice for OpenELEC. Long live "ION" smile.gif

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page