Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #3151 of 4676 Old 04-05-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

The bad part about this method is that it costs like $200 once you buy TMT and anydvd. I really haven't found a reason not to use makemkv. I admittedly don't rip a ton of blu rays but it has been great for me. And it decodes the disc on itw own no need for anydvd.

Makemkv can rip to blu ray folders. Also, at some point makemkv will eventually be pay for.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 4676 Old 04-05-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Makemkv can rip to blu ray folders. Also, at some point makemkv will eventually be pay for.

Oh thats cool I didn't know that. Yah it will go pay but I would probably pay for it over the others.
post #3153 of 4676 Old 04-05-2011, 08:13 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought it already required purchase...

Quote:

MakeMKV contains both freeware and shareware functionality. You may use MakeMKV to convert or stream DVD and AVCHD discs for free, as much as you want. Converting or streaming Blu-ray discs is shareware functionality. You can use shareware functionality for free during 30-days trial period. If you like MakeMKV and you want to use it after your 30-days trial version expires, you need to purchase a registration key. [http://www.makemkv.com/buy/]

post #3154 of 4676 Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post

I thought it already required purchase...

Well it says that but its in beta. So every 30 days you keep getting a new license.
post #3155 of 4676 Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

On my tools page is a software called Metafox.
The installer places an icon on your desktop.
Drag n drop the M2TS to the icon, within minutes, you have an MKV.

For a 25GB m2ts to a 21GB mkv it took just over 38 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Now that's what I'm talking about.

So my issues maybe have more to do with using m2ts than anything else?

IOW, can the Shark007 codecs be set such that the mkv will play back with HD Audio and Live TV won't be broken?

YES. This is working now!!

Quote:

m2ts sounds like it is your issue. To bitstream HD audio from an m2ts (and I believe to get playback of VC-1 m2ts) you need to disable Media Foundation so you can then use ffdshow. This in itself will not break Live TV. However, for the HD audio part I believe you may need to possibly disable the MS Audio Decoder. If this is done I believe it will break live tv. Shark can confirm is this is what his pack does (I know we had some animated conversations about this a while back in this thread). I know for some other methods posted (such as here) it does involve disabling the MS Audio Decoder.

Yup. I know this now. I will call it experience.

Quote:

the above quoted information from dbone1026 is 100% correct.

Yes it is.

Quote:

So with mkv, I don't need to disable the MS Audio or MS Video decoders but only the MS Media Foundation?

This is what I did to have it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggplummer View Post

Could you elaborate on the features of Metafox?

How does it handle subtitles, specifically forced subs?
Can it convert HD audio to FLAC?
Does it work with 1080i video and maintain synchronization of A?V if converting HD audio to FLAC?
With Metafox, it says to drag and drop a video file or folder onto the desktop icon. Does that mean I simply drag and drop the BDMV folder or the STREAM folder?

I've been using 'Another EAC3to GUI' and 'mkvmerge GUI' with my Blu-rays and they work pretty well except for the 1080i issue and the multistep process when dealing with forced subs.

Thanks for your help!

I dragged only the 0000.m2ts file. Maybe that is why I am getting German or Dutch or something subs that I cannot turn off (or maybe the setting is somewhere else in WMC?).

Quote:

none of the above needs to be disabled for MKV playback and you will also have fully bitstreamed audio support in Media Center

It seemed to me that I still needed to disable MMF but that might be because I have DiVX MF enabled so maybe I need to change that but it is working right now so why change it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

FYI that once you get to playback of the MKV most will recommend using Gabe instead of Haali. Especially if you have subtitles, Haali is pretty bad with them (in my experience). Basically I now have Haali globally turned off and just use Gabe for everything. However as Shark noted when using Metafox you may need to turn Haali back on while dong the conversions, but I would then go back to Gabe when done.

I am using the gabest splitter for playback and I am getting subs but unfortunately they are in German or Dutch or whatever. Probably a setting in MetaFox that needs to be tweaked but the settings selections in that program is not very well explained.

Quote:

Ok so Shark I installed your packs, regular and 64.

I did like you said in the link for audio. Selected passthrough and disabled the divx media foundation.

I have 3 mkv's that have DTS-MA. All are AVC video. One works the other 2 are all laggy and unwatchable. Especially when I try to fastforward. These all play fine in mpc with ffdshow. Never noticed any issues.

Is there something i am doing wrong here? (I need live tv to work)

I have only tried but this one file right now so I will be trying out a few more mkvs soon.

post #3156 of 4676 Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well it says that but its in beta. So every 30 days you keep getting a new license.

Mine quit working until I fed it $50.
post #3157 of 4676 Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post

mine quit working until i fed it $50.

lol.

post #3158 of 4676 Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine quit working until I fed it $50.

Hmm, I just use it to remux blu rays. Don't use any of the streaming or any of that. Never had to pay??
post #3159 of 4676 Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

It was Blu-ray remux that stopped working and demanded money.
post #3160 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hmm, I just use it to remux blu rays. Don't use any of the streaming or any of that. Never had to pay??

Yeah, no need to pay, you just need to keep putting in the free beta license code periodically. The two things I don't like with MakeMKV:

- does not remove the pulldown flag for HD DVDs
- handling of forced subs

I use MakeMKV for all my DVDs and for my BluRays I just use if for TV Show boxsets (For BluRay movies I either use Clown_BD and/or mkvmerge). It is a great product

Cheers,
Damian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3161 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 06:33 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, no need to pay, you just need to keep putting in the free beta license code periodically.

In which case, I'm feeling a bit conned. The messages in the software certainly imply that a paid license is required to continue remuxing Blu-ray after the trial expires. The software has a Purchase item in the Help menu. And, they gladly took my money for something that I'm guessing is supposed to be free while in beta.
post #3162 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In which case, I'm feeling a bit conned. The messages in the software certainly imply that a paid license is required to continue remuxing Blu-ray after the trial expires. The software has a Purchase item in the Help menu. And, they gladly took my money for something that I'm guessing is supposed to be free while in beta.

I know they do encourage their users to pay, but of course there is little motivation while you still have free access to. Does suck that you paid thinking you had to to continue using. Who knows, maybe they drop the beta status in a few weeks and it just turns out you were a little early to the game. Once it goes pay I don't know if I will pay for since I already have AnyDVD and with the free tools already available I can pretty much replicate what MakeMKV does.

Cheers,
Damian

post #3163 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, no need to pay, you just need to keep putting in the free beta license code periodically. The two things I don't like with MakeMKV:

I use MakeMKV for all my DVDs and for my BluRays I just use if for TV Show boxsets (For BluRay movies I either use Clown_BD and/or mkvmerge). It is a great product

Do you still buy HD-DVD's? I figure for most people once they ripped the ones they had they would be done with it.

Quote:

I know they do encourage their users to pay, but of course there is little motivation while you still have free access to. Does suck that you paid thinking you had to to continue using. Who knows, maybe they drop the beta status in a few weeks and it just turns out you were a little early to the game. Once it goes pay I don't know if I will pay for since I already have AnyDVD and with the free tools already available I can pretty much replicate what MakeMKV does.

Yah if you own anydvd then it would probably be redundant.
post #3164 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you still buy HD-DVD's? I figure for most people once they ripped the ones they had they would be done with it.

Yah if you own anydvd then it would probably be redundant.

I haven't in a while but still have a handful. However, I know quite a few people who still own and rip (and have issues with the pulldown flag not being removed).

Cheers,
Damian

post #3165 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't in a while but still have a handful. However, I know quite a few people who still own and rip (and have issues with the pulldown flag not being removed).

I guess they are probably a cheaper way to get some movies. I agree about the subs part. I hate forced subs, always makes ripping a pain for me.
post #3166 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I guess they are probably a cheaper way to get some movies. I agree about the subs part. I hate forced subs, always makes ripping a pain for me.

Forced subs are actually part of the reason I have been ripping to BluRay folder (AnyDVD + Clown_BD) instead of mkv of late.

Cheers,
Damian

post #3167 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

How does Blu-ray folder improve forced subs? Are you just ripping the main title or the entire movie? And, are you using MPC-HC to play the Blu-ray folder or something else.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. It's the never ending search for the best rip strategy.
post #3168 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will Clown_BD and/or mkvmerge handle the forced subs (and other subs for that matter)? MetaFox is fast and easy but it is too fast and easy because there isn't enough user control. Even though there's a few settings, I have been un-able to find documentation for what they do. What container do these progams create? The m2ts has issues in WMC and mkv has issues with forced subs, I guess... Fix one problem and up pops another one.

post #3169 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How does Blu-ray folder improve forced subs? Are you just ripping the main title or the entire movie? And, are you using MPC-HC to play the Blu-ray folder or something else.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. It's the never ending search for the best rip strategy.

I just rip the main title. There are two issues in particular where for me BluRay folders work better:

1) There is still not complete support among players (hardware and software) for forced subs in mkvs. So if you keep multiple subs in an mkv this can be problematic. With BluRay folders I have never had an issue

2) There are some BluRays that even though the movie has forced subs they are not actually flagged as forced (no clue why this is done), so these subs could easily get missed when creating the mkv

I use AnyDVD + Clown_BD and rip the main movie (including HD Audio Track, AC3 Track, and all English subs). This way I don't have to worry about forced subs since if they are present they will be part of the English subs that were grabbed. I use TMT for BluRay folders,and then I use various other hardware players aside from my HTPCs. I tested MPC with BluRay folders but never tested with a movie that had forced subs to see if it handles correctly (I know MPC HC does not respect the forced subtitle flag in mkvs). The other option with MPC HC and forced subs in mkvs, if you know that if you ever have subs they will only ever be forced subs you can just leave subs turned on and if present they will show. I know the forced flag issue in MPC is related to their internal splitter (once that gets replaced I believe the issue will be fixed), I am not sure if using Haali in place of the internal splitter would fix this.

Cheers,
Damian

post #3170 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Will Clown_BD and/or mkvmerge handle the forced subs (and other subs for that matter)? MetaFox is fast and easy but it is too fast and easy because there isn't enough user control. Even though there's a few settings, I have been un-able to find documentation for what they do. What container do these progams create? The m2ts has issues in WMC and mkv has issues with forced subs, I guess... Fix one problem and up pops another one.

Here is the method for AnyDVD + Clown_BD + MKVMerge

Another option is AnyDVD + BluRip

Also, AnyDVD + Another EAC3To GUI (only downside I can think of currently is it cannot create a secondary track and doesn't support PGS subs yet)

Hopefully this gives you some good ideas. I know it can be frustrating and confusing choosing the "right" container. Since I use multiple players/software in my home I have to be particularly careful to choose a format that offers me the best compatibility.

Cheers,
Damian

post #3171 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm planning on ripping my hddvds. What is the pull down flag issue? Anything else I need to know that's different for ripping, transcoding, file/format issues, player issues etc. For hddvd's?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #3172 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

I'm planning on ripping my hddvds. What is the pull down flag issue? Anything else I need to know that's different for ripping, transcoding, file/format issues, player issues etc. For hddvd's?

Here is a topic about the pulldown flags:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewto...hilit=pulldown

eac3to removes the pull down flag so I think I ended up using Clown_BD for my HD DVDs. I think this only is for VC-1 HD DVDs. Removing the pulldown flags allows the VC-1 track to easily be read as 1080p/24 instead of 1080p/30.

Cheers,
Damian

post #3173 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tested MPC with BluRay folders but never tested with a movie that had forced subs to see if it handles correctly (I know MPC HC does not respect the forced subtitle flag in mkvs). The other option with MPC HC and forced subs in mkvs, if you know that if you ever have subs they will only ever be forced subs you can just leave subs turned on and if present they will show.

I had completely forgotten that. Indeed, I only rip forced subs and leave subtitles on in MPC-HC, which is why my current solution appears to work.

Perhaps more testing of TMT is in order. MPC-HC is just so fast and light and integrates so well with XBMC. Choices, choices. I'm really trying to resist too much reconfiguration in the hopes that Audio Engine will provide a perfect, XBMC native, playback solution. I can dream, right?
post #3174 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I had completely forgotten that. Indeed, I only rip forced subs and leave subtitles on in MPC-HC, which is why my current solution appears to work.

Perhaps more testing of TMT is in order. MPC-HC is just so fast and light and integrates so well with XBMC. Choices, choices. I'm really trying to resist too much reconfiguration in the hopes that Audio Engine will provide a perfect, XBMC native, playback solution. I can dream, right?

I hear ya. Hopefully once the new Audio Engine comes out for XBMC we could possibly have the mecca of media players many of us are looking for. Imagine full support of BR folders (main movie only), forced subtitles, HD audio, etc... all directly from the media softwares own internal player without the need to mess with codecs, configs, or 3rd party players!!! The benefit to using MPC HC or the XBMC internal player over TMT for BLuRay folder rips may become more apparent down the road if TMT or PDVD ever implement Cinavia

Cheers,
Damian

post #3175 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Cinavia... Yeah they'll have you purchase a program that locks out the audio completely and probably will infest all other playback software to do the same. I suppose that would be one solution to the audio problem... When and if WMC ever nativelly supports BR structure you can bet that Cinavia will be in there.

The problem (for some) or solution (for others) is that the open source community will always be one step ahead (or maybe behind) and will circumvent it.

post #3176 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Cinavia... Yeah they'll have you purchase a program that locks out the audio completely and probably will infest all other playback software to do the same. I suppose that would be one solution to the audio problem... When and if WMC ever nativelly supports BR structure you can bet that Cinavia will be in there.

The problem (for some) or solution (for others) is that the open source community will always be one step ahead (or maybe behind) and will circumvent it.

Well, the easiest way to circumvent it is to simply not use a player that supports Cinavia. That is where MPC, XBMC, etc... will always shine. So even if it is not possible to remove Cinavia from a BluRay disc if the player doesn't acknowledge it then no harm done. I haven't heard much about Windows 8 and if WMC in there will support BR folders.

I know DVDFab has a workaround already for Cinavia on the PS3

Cheers,
Damian

post #3177 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is the method for AnyDVD + Clown_BD + MKVMerge

Another option is AnyDVD + BluRip

Also, AnyDVD + Another EAC3To GUI (only downside I can think of currently is it cannot create a secondary track and doesn't support PGS subs yet)

Any opinion on DVDFab Blu-ray Copy for the purpose of Blu-ray folder rips of main movie with subs?
post #3178 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Any opinion on DVDFab Blu-ray Copy for the purpose of Blu-ray folder rips of main movie with subs?

I have heard good thing about DVDFab. I never had a need to use it since I already have AnyDVD (my recent testings with DVDFab was to create a 3D mkv from a 3D BluRay). I would definitely recommend DVDFab as an option

Cheers,
Damian

post #3179 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 02:02 PM

I used AnyDVD with Handbrake last night (passthru audio) and I thought the results were better than what I've been getting with DVDfab. I might be making a switch.

**Edit** should mention this was not a BD. I was using a regular DVD.

post #3180 of 4676 Old 04-06-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbransc View Post

I used AnyDVD with Handbrake last night (passthru audio) and I thought the results were better than what I've been getting with DVDfab. I might be making a switch.

For encoding I would recommend handbrake or ripbot264. Something about DVDFab handling encoding to mkv I don't trust (I think this may be because I know people who have run into playback issues with encoded mkvs created with DVDFab)

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page