Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 4641 Old 07-21-2011, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A couple weeks ago, I set up my first HTPC and my first time working with WMC, and more specifically Media Browser.

I got everything looking and working fine, but then tried to experiment with new skins or configurations.

Now, when I look at my TV shows in Media browser, I don't get the background images for the TV show. (as shown in the first message on the thread)

I don't think it's the same issue that is discussed in the post just above me.

I re did the configuration based on the first few posts in this thread, which should be the same thing I did the last time.

Any suggestion as to what I missed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 4641 Old 07-21-2011, 09:06 AM

Hi, thank you for putting this together...... I have installed the shark007 codec pack on win7 64bit Ultimate...However, i am not able to make WMC play rmvb files? Do I need to set up some sort of external player? how? thanks,
post #3603 of 4641 Old 07-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm123 View Post

A couple weeks ago, I set up my first HTPC and my first time working with WMC, and more specifically Media Browser.

I got everything looking and working fine, but then tried to experiment with new skins or configurations.

Now, when I look at my TV shows in Media browser, I don't get the background images for the TV show. (as shown in the first message on the thread)

I re did the configuration based on the first few posts in this thread, which should be the same thing I did the last time.

Are you using CoverArt? You have to manually refresh and click "Clear Image Cache" in order to delete the last cover you were using, create a new image, and then "Update Library" in Media Browser to get it to show up. I spent a few hours after I built my HTPC trying to figure out why when I made a change to any cover (movie, tv show, etc) it wouldn't change in media browser. This was the reason.
post #3604 of 4641 Old 07-22-2011, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Manually refresh the metadata by right clicking on the Media Browser icon. For some reason, the new MB service is still acting somewhat funny for some people, ebr said that the new version will be focused entirely on bug-fixes and performance improvements, especially for the service.
post #3605 of 4641 Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev18 View Post

Hi, thank you for putting this together...... I have installed the shark007 codec pack on win7 64bit Ultimate...However, i am not able to make WMC play rmvb files? Do I need to set up some sort of external player? how? thanks,

As fas as i know, the Shark Pack includes rmvb file support. Can you give me a short sample of one of those videos so i can test out
post #3606 of 4641 Old 07-22-2011, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev18 View Post

RMVB is only supported in 32bit players because there are no functional 64bit decoders available. On your system, Media Center is a 64bit player.
Version 3.0 (still in beta) will support rmvb in 64bit players. The current beta release does not.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #3607 of 4641 Old 07-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Is the cover art plug in a paid service? Could I have been getting a free trial?

I'll try these suggestions this evening.
post #3608 of 4641 Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Is the cover art plug in a paid service? Could I have been getting a free trial?

I'll try these suggestions this evening.

Yes, cover art is a pay for plugin (with a trial period)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3609 of 4641 Old 07-22-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yes, cover art is a pay for plugin (with a trial period)

That probably explains why it's not working for me anymore.

It might be useful to update the first couple posts here and identify what is free, and what needs to be paid for.
post #3610 of 4641 Old 07-22-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That probably explains why it's not working for me anymore.

It might be useful to update the first couple posts here and identify what is free, and what needs to be paid for.

You could try pm'ing your request to Greeneyez as those are his posts

Cheers,
Damian

post #3611 of 4641 Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Basically
  • CoverART
  • Pearl theme
  • Lotus theme
  • Sapphire theme
  • Lotus theme

These are paid addons/themes, with 15 day trials. Good ideea on updating the MB plugins list with free/paid(trial) tags, i`ll get to it
post #3612 of 4641 Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Good ideea on updating the MB plugins list with free/paid(trial) tags, i`ll get to it

Thanks. You've done great work on this thread. The last think I want to do is suggest you do more work on it!
post #3613 of 4641 Old 07-23-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. You've done great work on this thread. The last think I want to do is suggest you do more work on it!
Not a lot of work, just 10 words added to the guide . I`m always open to suggestions and input from users on improving my guides . Thanks a lot and hope you found it useful
post #3614 of 4641 Old 07-23-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Splash HD player review upped today (link)
How to configure MPC-HC with MadVr, LAV CUVID splitters + CUDA decoder will pe upped tomorrow
post #3615 of 4641 Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updates

I added the MPC-HC+LAV Splitters+LAV CUVID decoder and MadVR part of the guide, it`s still incomplete, but i will finish it up when i wake up.

The next thing that i`m working on is comparative review between MPC-HC with the default settings/filters and MPC-HC + MadVR + Lav Splitters/audio decoder and LAV CUVID, to see if MadVR is truly superior in terms of picture quality, or it`s just a myth. I will also include in the test a small PQ comparision between Nvidia and Ati cards using MPC-HC, too see if ATI truly deliveres better PQ or it`s just a myth. Stay tuned folks
post #3616 of 4641 Old 07-25-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Updates

I added the MPC-HC+LAV Splitters+LAV CUVID decoder and MadVR part of the guide, it`s still incomplete, but i will finish it up when i wake up.

The next thing that i`m working on is comparative review between MPC-HC with the default settings/filters and MPC-HC + MadVR + Lav Splitters/audio decoder and LAV CUVID, to see if MadVR is truly superior in terms of picture quality, or it`s just a myth. I will also include in the test a small PQ comparision between Nvidia and Ati cards using MPC-HC, too see if ATI truly deliveres better PQ or it`s just a myth. Stay tuned folks

Thumbs up.
I've seen lot of questions of WMC7 EVR vs MPC-HC EVR CP vs MadVR and the answers were typically:
1. madVR a bit better then MPC-HC EVR CP
2. madVR and EVR CP which are "way" better than WMC7 EVR

But I haven't see not one side-by-side comparison (screenshots).

I personally love more WMC7 (+MediaBrowser) integration than running separate media player.
Also my Zacate setup is too weak to power madVR so I was unable to do side-by-side comparisons.

So, this will answer lot of questions.
Keep up with greak work
post #3617 of 4641 Old 07-25-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
does anyone know if there's an Androi app for Media Browser?
post #3618 of 4641 Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

does anyone know if there's an Androi app for Media Browser?

Not really an App and I had issues with:

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/per...mb-2-3-2#30779

Cheers,
Damian

post #3619 of 4641 Old 07-25-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtosic View Post

Thumbs up.
I've seen lot of questions of WMC7 EVR vs MPC-HC EVR CP vs MadVR and the answers were typically:
1. madVR a bit better then MPC-HC EVR CP
2. madVR and EVR CP which are "way" better than WMC7 EVR

But I haven't see not one side-by-side comparison (screenshots).

I personally love more WMC7 (+MediaBrowser) integration than running separate media player.
Also my Zacate setup is too weak to power madVR so I was unable to do side-by-side comparisons.

So, this will answer lot of questions.
Keep up with greak work

Well, i did a comparison between MPC-HC and WMC with ffdshow DXVA some time ago (can`t find the link to the thread atm) and i didn`t find differences between them. EVR CP is only a modification of the standard EVR renderer that allows subtitles and DXVA at the same time. As far as i know, that`s the only tehnical difference between them. Anyway, i`ll include some updated screens for MPC-HC vs WMP while i am at it. I need to get my main PC / desktop in the living room, since my monitor is 1680x1050 not 1080p, and the main PC is the only one with an Nvidia card (to test out LAV CUVID). So i`m not sure if i`ll finish tonight, but i`ll try.
post #3620 of 4641 Old 07-25-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:

Well, i did a comparison between MPC-HC and WMC with ffdshow DXVA some time ago (can`t find the link to the thread atm) and i didn`t find differences between them. EVR CP is only a modification of the standard EVR renderer that allows subtitles and DXVA at the same time. As far as i know, that`s the only tehnical difference between them.

I'm not sure about main MPC-HC branch, but there are tester builds by JanWillem who is doing a lot of work on EVR CP (I think it will be integrated in the main build after some time).
You can check the progress being made on doom9:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=161047

P.S. I don't think it's possible, but I have to ask one more time
I see that you have Zacate build - have you managed to use madVR with Zacate?
post #3621 of 4641 Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 AM

Liked: 17
Cant wait to see your write up on the mpc configs and mpc vs wmp quality GreenEyez.

Im right now trying to narrow down parts for a new htpc and Ive been trying to decide if I should get an nvidia card just so I can make use of LAV CUVID or if it really doesnt matter to PQ that much.
post #3622 of 4641 Old 07-27-2011, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Surprise surprise, if anybody can tell the difference between these screens, i`m going to eat my shoes .
Tested on my GTX260, with the latest Nvidia drivers and latest versions of the software. EVR for Media Player Classic is actually the default EVR CP, was to lazy to add a CP to the filename .

Here`s a RAR archive containing all the screencaps with proper filenames, should be easier to download this way.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6HSOTSRG

MPC-HC MPC Decoder + EVR

MPC-HC LAV CUVID Decoder + EVR

MPC-HC LAV CUDIV Decoder + MadVR

WMP LAV CUVID Decoder + EVR

MPC-HC MPC Decoder + EVR

MPC-HC MPC Decoder + EVR

post #3623 of 4641 Old 07-27-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtosic View Post

I'm not sure about main MPC-HC branch, but there are tester builds by JanWillem who is doing a lot of work on EVR CP (I think it will be integrated in the main build after some time).
You can check the progress being made on doom9:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=161047

P.S. I don't think it's possible, but I have to ask one more time
I see that you have Zacate build - have you managed to use madVR with Zacate?

Well, no. The only way MadVR would work on a Zacate would be if you could use MadVR and an DXVA compatible decoder to offload the decoding on the GPU, but you can`t, since MadVR and DXVA are incompatible. The only solutions are CPU decoding (like the normal ffdshow software decoder), but the Zacate CPU is to weak to handle HD content on it`s own, or LAV CUVID, which is Nvidia only since it`s based on CUDA.
post #3624 of 4641 Old 07-28-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:

Surprise surprise, if anybody can tell the difference between these screens, i`m going to eat my shoes .

Well, I can't see any differences on my laptop. On the other side, laptop screen is quite small, so I have to check on 50" plasma.
Maybe a better trained eye can tell some difference

Quote:

Well, no. The only way MadVR would work on a Zacate would be if you could use MadVR and an DXVA compatible decoder to offload the decoding on the GPU, but you can`t, since MadVR and DXVA are incompatible. The only solutions are CPU decoding (like the normal ffdshow software decoder), but the Zacate CPU is to weak to handle HD content on it`s own, or LAV CUVID, which is Nvidia only since it`s based on CUDA.

I was using Cyberlink Video Decoder 11 (HAM) which also uses hardware acceleration, but I'm getting a lot of dropped frames and my CPU is on 60-70%, and GPU is also around 50% (ckecked with AMD System Monitor).

So, I really haven't figured it out why I'm having dropped frames.
I suppose that GPU is too weak for madVR (even if it's not at 100%, maybe some part of GPU isn't powerful enough).
post #3625 of 4641 Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I get a better overall picture using Madvr, viewing with my on eyes with moving video. I never been one to try and tell much from screen shots even though they are interesting. I doubt I could though comparing just the different decoders, but I never really watch interlace material. Just 1080p/24.

But if I was forced to pick, I would pick the Madvr Terminator Salvation. Staring a short while the skin tone looks some better and a little sharper, but who knows why though with so many things that could make it look better too me.

The ATI verses Nvidia kind of has a interest to me but seems like there shouldn't be much difference. But the Nvidia card I'm using does seem to look some different and I been to lazy to put the ATI card back in. My first impression was its not as sharp as the ATI card and colorspace some different. But now seems like I'm thinking maybe Nvidia looks some better, so it appears I'm not sure. Plus I've switched back on forth over the years an usually had Nvidia, but then used ATI for quite awhile again for Bitstreaming HD audio.

That's using a GTX 460 to a DVDO duo on to a JVC front projector.
post #3626 of 4641 Old 07-29-2011, 11:10 PM

want to use on demand hard drives when viewing movies/tv shows, is there a way for media browser to show movies/tv show backgrounds and info w/o the movies being online?

can i put all the metadata and jpgs into a folder thats always online while the content it self isnt?
post #3627 of 4641 Old 07-30-2011, 02:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme View Post

want to use on demand hard drives when viewing movies/tv shows, is there a way for media browser to show movies/tv show backgrounds and info w/o the movies being online?

can i put all the metadata and jpgs into a folder thats always online while the content it self isnt?

I am not sure how Media Browser handles, but I know My Movies handles off line content similar to what you want

Cheers,
Damian

post #3628 of 4641 Old 07-30-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Surprise surprise, if anybody can tell the difference between these screens, i`m going to eat my shoes

I've been sitting here straining to see any difference at all. Thanks for saving me some time, I'm not going to even bother with testing madvr on my htpc now

No doubt someone out there will see a difference...but I'm scratching my head over the folks saying it was a night and day difference in quality.
post #3629 of 4641 Old 07-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strahdv View Post

I've been sitting here straining to see any difference at all. Thanks for saving me some time, I'm not going to even bother with testing madvr on my htpc now

No doubt someone out there will see a difference...but I'm scratching my head over the folks saying it was a night and day difference in quality.

No, not a night and difference for me, just better overall. But its easy to install Madvr and uninstall and try it. Unless I guess the computer can't handle it. Also easy just to to switch back to EVR custom or whatever to see it can tell a difference after trying different adjustments in Madvr.
post #3630 of 4641 Old 07-30-2011, 01:35 PM

I'm using integrated graphics so I can't play with madvr. I figured I'd start with integrated graphics and then move to a discrete card in the future if I wanted to use madvr. Agreed that it's very simple to go back and forth. Not being able to see it for myself on my own system combined with some of the positive feedback I've read I was expecting to see much more of a difference.

I understand that things might look different overall while the picture is moving as well. I've still got my options open - but at least for now I know spending the money on a discrete card isn't for me.

A 'which one is better' poll with two unlabeled screenshots would certainly be interesting!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page