Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 127 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #3781 of 4699 Old 09-17-2011, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post

I have had it with 7mc. This POS program cant get anything right!

I was trying to fix the 1 song per album problem. I edited the flac tags but when I went into 7mc, it displayed the same errors. I removed the music from 7mc's library then I readded it. Now only 3 albums show even though I have all of the music divided up by album with cover art for each album labled as "folder."

Most of the music is labed as "unknown album." I tried to get WMP to update my library but it locks up when trying to update the library.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Finally!!!!!

To fix the errors:

Meta data for each track

Title: Jaydee - Plastic Dreams
Artist: Various
Album: Back To The Old Skool Ibiza

Album must be the same for each track, forget disk 1 and disk 2. Label the file name with 101 and 201 for that. Artist needs to be Various (or some other name) but each track must have the same name.

time consuming....hell yes but I think it worth it.

Newbie to all of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 4699 Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 AM

Wondering if anyone else has the same issue as me. I have dual monitors setup and when I put WMC7 into full screen I cannot move the mouse out of WMC7. This is a problem because I cannot do anything on the second screen. Any way around this?
post #3783 of 4699 Old 09-17-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post

Wondering if anyone else has the same issue as me. I have dual monitors setup and when I put WMC7 into full screen I cannot move the mouse out of WMC7. This is a problem because I cannot do anything on the second screen. Any way around this?

press the Windows key on the keyboard.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #3784 of 4699 Old 09-17-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

press the Windows key on the keyboard.

Such an easy fix, thank you so much!
post #3785 of 4699 Old 09-18-2011, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been struggling with the Shark007 version of this guide for a couple of days, and am about to give up. All I want to do is play MKV files and be able to turn Subtitles on and off (Win7-32). I can do that pretty easily with an External Player, but Shark007 is choking on at least one of my MKV files.

From what I've read, my next step would be to recode the offending MKV file using MetaFox. While that might or might not work, I don't consider that to be a seamless experience. The file works fine in other players, and I generated it the same way as my other MKVs and future MKVs. How many of them will also fail?

While I appreciate the work that's gone into the Shark007 codecs, I'm getting the sense that it is the digital equivalent of trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Congratulations to those who have loaded Shark007 and had it work right away. I wish I could say the same.

Richard
post #3786 of 4699 Old 09-19-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
I've been struggling with the Shark007.
I suggest you press [Reset All] and then go to the H264 TAB and set 'Use FFDshow's codec' from the rightside of the TAB.

post #3787 of 4699 Old 09-19-2011, 10:48 PM

Rocketguy3 posted -
Quote:

1. I recently downloaded the madVR renderer, and I thought I installed it correctly. I got the "madVR.ax registered correctly" message. But the madVR option in MPC-HC is still greyed out. Anyone had this problem?

I ran into this problem as well. MPC-HC 64-bit is not compatible with MadVR. I uninstalled the 64-bit version of MPC-HC and installed the 32-bit version and now the MadVR selection is available.

Hope this helps,

Fromans4
post #3788 of 4699 Old 09-19-2011, 11:03 PM

Really incredible thread guys & gals. It has taken me a week to read it in its entitety and apply it to my HTPC system.

Now for my first couple of questions -

1. I have a Windows 7 64-bit implimentation and as you can see from my last post, to get MadVR to work I had to install the 32-bit version of MPC-HC. This seems to work fine, but am I loosing anything? Should I maybe be looking to use something other then MadVR and go back to the 64-bit version of MPC-HC?

2. I have most of my video ripping and playback features working the way I want them and I am working on getting the interface tweeked. I have a server that I will use to hold most of my media, that hasn't been built yet. I initially was planning on simply building a Windows 2008 stand-alone file server to hold all of my media and map drives from my HTPC in the front room. Then configure the Media Browser app to add these mapped locations. I still may do it this way, but I was wondering if there would be any benefit in setting the server up with WMC. Is there some way to increase the performance of playing a movie that resides on a server, like streaming or something? I used to have a MythTV system that operated in this way. MythTV has a backend and frontend component and would stream between the two to reduce bandwidth needs and increase performance. Can something like that be done with WMC/MB?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Fromans4
post #3789 of 4699 Old 09-20-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromans4 View Post

Really incredible thread guys & gals. It has taken me a week to read it in its entitety and apply it to my HTPC system.

Now for my first couple of questions -

1. I have a Windows 7 64-bit implimentation and as you can see from my last post, to get MadVR to work I had to install the 32-bit version of MPC-HC. This seems to work fine, but am I loosing anything? Should I maybe be looking to use something other then MadVR and go back to the 64-bit version of MPC-HC?

2. I have most of my video ripping and playback features working the way I want them and I am working on getting the interface tweeked. I have a server that I will use to hold most of my media, that hasn't been built yet. I initially was planning on simply building a Windows 2008 stand-alone file server to hold all of my media and map drives from my HTPC in the front room. Then configure the Media Browser app to add these mapped locations. I still may do it this way, but I was wondering if there would be any benefit in setting the server up with WMC. Is there some way to increase the performance of playing a movie that resides on a server, like streaming or something? I used to have a MythTV system that operated in this way. MythTV has a backend and frontend component and would stream between the two to reduce bandwidth needs and increase performance. Can something like that be done with WMC/MB?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Fromans4

1) You are losing nothing with the x32 MPC HC. In fact on my x64 systems I still use x32 players where possible. There is zero to gain using x64 for an HTPC over x32 when it comes to playback,

2) no benefit to setting up a WMC server (would have to be a W7 server) unless you either plan on incorporating Xboxs as extenders or you want to centralize TV Tuner recording to a server. Otherwise W7 is a bit of a PITA to use as a server. I am still running Windows Home Server v1 and it works great. I will probably wait until W8 server is released and then decide if I want to make the change (not a big fan of WHS 2011 currently)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3790 of 4699 Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post

Finally!!!!!

To fix the errors:

Meta data for each track

Title: Jaydee - Plastic Dreams
Artist: Various
Album: Back To The Old Skool Ibiza

Album must be the same for each track, forget disk 1 and disk 2. Label the file name with 101 and 201 for that. Artist needs to be Various (or some other name) but each track must have the same name.

time consuming....hell yes but I think it worth it.

As far as i know, most of the music players around need to have the album name and the album artist the same, or they think that there are different tracks from different albums (even though, from a logical stand point of view, there can`t be 2 artists with the same album name, copyright & stuff).

This is how i have them (but only tested with XBMC) :

Artist : Armin van Buuren
Album artist : Armin van Buuren
Track title : Orbion
Album name : Mirage (2010)

I use mp3tag for organizing the tags (supports both MP3 and FLAC).
post #3791 of 4699 Old 09-20-2011, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been struggling with the Shark007 version of this guide for a couple of days, and am about to give up. All I want to do is play MKV files and be able to turn Subtitles on and off (Win7-32). I can do that pretty easily with an External Player, but Shark007 is choking on at least one of my MKV files.

From what I've read, my next step would be to recode the offending MKV file using MetaFox. While that might or might not work, I don't consider that to be a seamless experience. The file works fine in other players, and I generated it the same way as my other MKVs and future MKVs. How many of them will also fail?

While I appreciate the work that's gone into the Shark007 codecs, I'm getting the sense that it is the digital equivalent of trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Congratulations to those who have loaded Shark007 and had it work right away. I wish I could say the same.

For the record, Shark doesn`t create the codecs, only the pack, so if the codecs screw something up, it isn`t his fault.

Anyway, what are you currently using as codec & splitters for MKV? LAV?
post #3792 of 4699 Old 09-20-2011, 10:58 PM

I have just noticed something strange. When I playback a movie that I have ripped from a standard DVD I don't get any output from my center channel speaker. I have tested it with the Windows Sound configuration app in control panel and it responds. I have also tested it in the driver app that came with the sound card and it works there too. I have an HT Omega Claro card and I am pretty sure I have it configured correctly for 5.1 surround. I am thinking there must be something in the settings of MPC-HC or WMP??

Any ideas?

Fromans4
post #3793 of 4699 Old 09-21-2011, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How are you decoding audio, via the HTPC or bitstreaming? I noticed you said something about "sound card", that`s why i`m asking.
post #3794 of 4699 Old 09-22-2011, 03:34 AM

I should have mentioned that, the HTPC is decoding audio. I do not have an AV receiver so I have the seperate audio outputs of my sound card feeding directly into my amps.
post #3795 of 4699 Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

I suggest you press [Reset All] and then go to the H264 TAB and set 'Use FFDshow's codec' from the rightside of the TAB.

I tried that. I've also completely uninstalled Windows Media Center, deleted the ehome folder, and reinstalled Media Center. Then I uninstalled Shark007 codecs and reinstalled with UAC set to default. Playing a MKV works fine with some files, but others crash WMC. All files were all ripped with MakeMKV, and all of them play perfectly in MPC-HC and VLC, etc. Is there a reason why Shark007 codecs are sensitive to certain files when other programs are not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Anyway, what are you currently using as codec & splitters for MKV? LAV?

I'm not sure I understand the question. I'm using this guide for Shark007, and I'm using MPC-HC to test.

Richard
post #3796 of 4699 Old 09-23-2011, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried that. I've also completely uninstalled Windows Media Center, deleted the ehome folder, and reinstalled Media Center. Then I uninstalled Shark007 codecs and reinstalled with UAC set to default. Playing a MKV works fine with some files, but others crash WMC. All files were all ripped with MakeMKV, and all of them play perfectly in MPC-HC and VLC, etc. Is there a reason why Shark007 codecs are sensitive to certain files when other programs are not?

I'm not sure I understand the question. I'm using this guide for Shark007, and I'm using MPC-HC to test.

Try this :

Under the MKV tab, instead of LAV Splitter, select the Gabest splitter.
Under the H.264 tab, use the MPC codec.
post #3797 of 4699 Old 09-23-2011, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I should have mentioned that, the HTPC is decoding audio. I do not have an AV receiver so I have the seperate audio outputs of my sound card feeding directly into my amps.

try this sample first. Do all channels work corectly?

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/re..._landscape.rar
post #3798 of 4699 Old 09-23-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Playing a MKV works fine with some files, but others crash WMC.

Most likely the mkv's that are causing problems have some bad encoding settings specific to the mkv container. On my Tools page is a software called Metafox. It does not re-encode the audio/video streams but does creat a new Matroska container with sane settings which will fix most mkv's including allowing them to be thumbnailed properly in explorer.

Metafox is extremely fast and easy to use. Once installed, it places a shortcut on your desktop. All you have to do is drag n drop any media file to the desktop icon and it will use the untouched contents of that file to create an MKV in the originating folder. Metafox works with almost any format (mkv, avi, m2ts etc) producing an MKV file from the contents of the input file.

post #3799 of 4699 Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys. Hope everyone's been well.

Two quick questions:

When I launched Media Center last night (using an HDMI Connection to an AVR from my ATI HD 4850), I got a huge burst of static / pink noise. I closed, relaunched, and it did it again. I restarted my HTPC and all was good, but I'm wondering if you guys have any idea what might have caused this. It blew out one of my surround speakers

Last thing: A couple of my plugins in Media Browser are red, specifically CoverArt 3.0. I assumed that meant the version I was using was deprecated, but there is no upgrade / update option. Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks for the help as always. Have a good weekend, fellas.
post #3800 of 4699 Old 09-23-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm, have you checked the HDMI connection (i mean the cable and connector), maybe move it a little (and do this with the volume set to low)? Maybe it was an electrical short, i don`t know anything else that could have caused it.

Regarding the plugins, the CovertArt and 2 other more plugins were updated to a version that is compatible with the next version of MB, Hydra. That`s why you can`t update. But the installed versions should still work fine.
post #3801 of 4699 Old 09-23-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Regarding the plugins, the CovertArt and 2 other more plugins were updated to a version that is compatible with the next version of MB, Hydra. That`s why you can`t update. But the installed versions should still work fine.

Greeneyez, could that have anything to do with the fact that my Music Plugin has strangely stopped working? It doesn't even appear any more in the MB menu, and when I went into the MB Configurator to check it, it crashed the Configurator as soon as I clicked on the 'Configure' button for the Music plugin. I tried removing and reinstalling it, didn't help. Still doesn't appear in MB and still crashes the MB Configurator. Worked fine a few days ago. And yes, the network location of the Music library is visible.

Using MB 2.3.2 with the Jade theme (purchased)
post #3802 of 4699 Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 PM

Liked: 15
do you know how i import podcasts?

i know that there is a tab in media browser but i dont know which is the adress of my podcasts

e.g. how i find the adresses of these podcacts?
(i)http://www.cl-rec.com/podcast/
(ii) http://www.astateoftrance.com/podcasts/
post #3803 of 4699 Old 09-23-2011, 10:15 PM

I am assuming you wanted me to download and play dts_sonic_landscape. I did and didn't get any output from my center speaker. Pretty sound though.

FYI - Just to make sure, I replaced my wiring from the soundcards center/subwoofer output jack. Still no luck.
post #3804 of 4699 Old 09-25-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post

I use a freeware program call 'The Maxifier' for my triple monitor set-up.

You can run WMC in full-screen w/o having the mouse trapped. It has some other useful features I use everyday.

http://www.mods.com.au/Maxifier/
post #3805 of 4699 Old 09-25-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am assuming you wanted me to download and play dts_sonic_landscape. I did and didn't get any output from my center speaker. Pretty sound though.

FYI - Just to make sure, I replaced my wiring from the soundcards center/subwoofer output jack. Still no luck.

Yup, i wanted to make sure it wasn`t an issue with the rips or something. What are you using for decoding, ffdshow audioo decoder or LAV audio decoder?
post #3806 of 4699 Old 09-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Hello All,

I have been using XBMC since it was Xbox Media Center. I updated my HTPC from a shuttle to a AMD II Phenom 6 setup by renethx I have also upgraded my receiver from a yamaha rx v665 to a yamaha RX-A3000. I don't plan on updating this for a very long time. I am playing this on a 65" Panasonic Plasma, that my wife bought me for Valentines day. The reason I went with this setup is because I wanted to rip and play bluray's from this pc and transfer the ripped files to the server.

So enough of my setup. Now I was thinking of trying out WM7 with the XBMC plugin. I have over 6 TB's of movies on a Server 2008 R2 server which I am transferring to my UnRaid Server.

I really want to give WM7 a chance, as all remotes for the most part are setup for WM7 right out the box. The only question I do have is that I have all my movies and tv shows already setup by using Ember Media Manager. I am aware that WM7 uses a different format, and I would probably have to set everything up again so that WM7 can read the info, but where does it keep the info? Would it keep all the info in the movie/tv show folder like xbmc? And will I still be able to use xbmc with the .nfo files in the movie folders without a hitch with the xbmc for wm7 hack?

I'm sorry for such a long post I just wanted to provide as much information as possible so that I could receive the best help available.

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
post #3807 of 4699 Old 09-25-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post

I use a freeware program call 'The Maxifier' for my triple monitor set-up.

You can run WMC in full-screen w/o having the mouse trapped. It has some other useful features I use everyday.

http://www.mods.com.au/Maxifier/

Or you can push the windows button. then the mouse is no longer trapped!
post #3808 of 4699 Old 09-25-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Yup, i wanted to make sure it wasn`t an issue with the rips or something. What are you using for decoding, ffdshow audioo decoder or LAV audio decoder?

I did my best to follow your guide at the start of this thread except in areas dealing with bitstreaming. I think that means I am using LAV.

I do think my problem has something to do with how my audio decoders are setup. That being said, I have checked all the settings till my eyes are blurry and I can't see anything wrong. Of course it would help if I new what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Fromans4
post #3809 of 4699 Old 09-25-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think my question got lost. Does anybody have any advice on my MB Music Plugin disappearance? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3801
post #3810 of 4699 Old 09-26-2011, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did my best to follow your guide at the start of this thread except in areas dealing with bitstreaming. I think that means I am using LAV.

I do think my problem has something to do with how my audio decoders are setup. That being said, I have checked all the settings till my eyes are blurry and I can't see anything wrong. Of course it would help if I new what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Fromans4

Ok, try this. In the audio tab, disable LAV. On the main tab, select ffdshow audio configuration and in the new window, under the mixer option, set the settings like this (i presume you have a 5.1 setup , right?)
LL
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page