Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #361 of 4681 Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude View Post

Can you please elaborate the paragraph #1?
Is there a seperate thread I can possibily look at....maybe where this "MPC is sharper in PQ than native playback" is being discussed...........other than MPC being free.
This is news to me....so I am just trying to get more info.
As for the rest....well, I understand your viewpoint.

No, those are my personal comparisons between MPC-HC and the 7MC player. I`ll put some screenshots tomorrow, from the same sources, WMP12 + the MPC-HC decoder vs MPC-HC (with the MPC-HC decoder, ofc), and you can judge if you agree or not.
Hmm, actually, you gave me a good ideea, i`ll up the screenshots in the guide at the beginning, so that newcomers to the HTPC realm can judge for themselfs which path to choose.

The sources will be Avatar, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, Terminator 4 Salvation and War of the Worlds. Untouched video ofc, no encoding. If you want me to test other sources, let me know, if i have the Blu Rays i`ll test them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC : AMD Zacate E350 with XBMC 10.00 + Aeon MQ
Storage : 6TB DLink NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4681 Old 06-02-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackus Jack View Post

Excellent information. backdrop.jpg definitely works. Do you know of a metadata manager that doesn't cost money?

Media Center Master : http://www.mediacentermaster.com/

The reason why i preffer this one over MetaBrowser is that it can automatically downloads metainfo on the fly, you just leave it in the background of your HTPC and it automatically scans your media collection folders and adds metainfo, so you don`t have to do this manually. Kinda like the metadata provider in Media Browser.

From what i`ve tested, you can do this automatically in metabrowser (dbone, correct me if i`m wrong )

post #363 of 4681 Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Media Center Master : http://www.mediacentermaster.com/

The reason why i preffer this one over MetaBrowser is that it can automatically downloads metainfo on the fly, you just leave it in the background of your HTPC and it automatically scans your media collection folders and adds metainfo, so you don`t have to do this manually. Kinda like the metadata provider in Media Browser.

From what i`ve tested, you can do this automatically in metabrowser (dbone, correct me if i`m wrong )

Yes, metabrowser does this automatically. I have it running on my WHS. When I add a movie it automatically adds meatdata/coverart/fanart. I also have it auto rename tv shows as I add them and grab metadata, a real nice feature for me.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #364 of 4681 Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hm, does Media Center Master allow you to add multiple backgrounds? I rather like the rotating background images and with Metabrowser it seems you can only add one (as far as I can tell so far).

Does anyone know how film collections work? Is it possible to have a main collection folder, and the individual movie folders within it? For example, I name a folder the James Bond Collection, and that registers with the movie database, and gives me the poster and background image. However when I place movies in side of it they don't seem to appear. Is the only way to have a collection image and background with movies inside to create your own custom images for the main collection folder? (sorry if that is confusing i've had a few drinks tonight )
post #365 of 4681 Old 06-02-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Look here, in the screenshot. There is small link with the number of backdrops available, where you can select the one you like

And yes, media center master does that too.
LL

post #366 of 4681 Old 06-02-2010, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yes, metabrowser does this automatically. I have it running on my WHS. When I add a movie it automatically adds meatdata/coverart/fanart. I also have it auto rename tv shows as I add them and grab metadata, a real nice feature for me.

Thanks, good to know

post #367 of 4681 Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Look here, in the screenshot. There is small link with the number of backdrops available, where you can select the one you like

And yes, media center master does that too.

Yeah I see you can select an individual backdrop, but I like how when it's just done by MediaBrowser, it rotates through all the backdrops. I'm wondering if it is possible to select more than one backdrop with MetaBrowser so that it rotates through them.

Edit: Forget this quote I see what you mean, it is possible, my bad.
post #368 of 4681 Old 06-02-2010, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
For anyone interested, here is my writeup on Metabrowser 1.0 (the free version):

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009...h-metabrowser/

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #369 of 4681 Old 06-02-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

For anyone interested, here is my writeup on Metabrowser 1.0 (the free version):

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009...h-metabrowser/

MetaBrowser is my meta scraper of choice. It does exactly what I want. I don't bother with the backdrop or folder images, however - I prefer to find the pictures I want, put them where I want, and resize them so they are all the same dimensions. I've found it speeds up the response time in MediaBrowser (painfully apparent on an ION 330 system!).
post #370 of 4681 Old 06-02-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well probably because you have metadata locally stored in the movie folders and it`s easier to read than from the cache folder.
When they will make the switch to a SQlite database (still experimental at this stage) the speed improvements will be noticeable even on low-end atom sistems.

post #371 of 4681 Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Ok, try this ffdshow version (this is what i have with my HD5450 + Denon 2310 setup and works) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DQN7M902

It may be a bug in the latest version. Uninstall the previous one, install this one, make the same audio settings.

GreenEyez, i tried the ffdshow on your link, still no luck. Still can't get audio bitstreaming. (still DTS no DTS-HD Master). Any more tweaks?
post #372 of 4681 Old 06-03-2010, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Good idea about the comparison screenshots....

By the way, since this is OT..........you may want to start a seperate thread about it. That way others can chip in with their own experiences.

Also, if possible, could you take screenshots while playing an actual BD disk or mounted ISO.....not rips? I still don't trust those rips. Some kind of encoding / transcoding may happen inadvertently.
But then again.......for the purpose of this comparision........it does not really matter, does it.

Also one more thing........the extra sharpness you are referring to........are you sure it is not just artificially added edge enhancement.........which may be percieved by our eyes as "looking sharper"?

TVs add sharpness all the time............just the make the video pop out in the stores.....but it gets tiring fast. And of course , the video is no more an accurate representation of the original video.

Another thing.......WMC does not , by default play blu-rays........so this comparison is not really WMC vs MPC.

It is rather WMC + some codec vs MPC.

Then again..........it is the codec which is rendering the picture, right? So it may not really WMC which is [supposedly] making the pic soft.
Maybe the codec you install to play those BD rips does not play well with WMC.......but plays better in MPC.

A more fair test would be to use a DVD [which both players can play by default....out of the box]

Like I said....this is all OT!

PS: by the way, I always have used PDVD to play Blu-ray ISOs and I have compared it with stand-alone players.........I feel PDVD on a HTPC gives a better PQ

Quote:

No, those are my personal comparisons between MPC-HC and the 7MC player. I`ll put some screenshots tomorrow, from the same sources, WMP12 + the MPC-HC decoder vs MPC-HC (with the MPC-HC decoder, ofc), and you can judge if you agree or not.
Hmm, actually, you gave me a good ideea, i`ll up the screenshots in the guide at the beginning, so that newcomers to the HTPC realm can judge for themselfs which path to choose.

The sources will be Avatar, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, Terminator 4 Salvation and War of the Worlds. Untouched video ofc, no encoding. If you want me to test other sources, let me know, if i have the Blu Rays i`ll test them.

-Rajiv
post #373 of 4681 Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carefreepastor View Post

I need help with box sets of movies in Media Browser. I have Enable Nested Folders checked. My structure is HD/the Bourne Trilogy/the Bourne Trilogy.jpg
HD/the Bourne Trilogy/Bourne Identity (fully populated with metadata)
HD/the Bourne Trilogy/Bourne Supremacy (fully populated with metadata)
HD/the Bourne Trilogy/Bourne Ultimatum (fully populated with metadata)
I have no picture image appears in Media Browser along with all the single movies. However, all of the individual Bourne movies appear with the proper images when I click on the Bourne Trilogy icon. Though I have been doing HTPCs for more than 15 years, I am a noob when it comes to W7MC and Media Browser.

Thanks for the help you gave me on this one. And it was so simple that even a 63 year old could do it. All of my rips are now categorized properly.
post #374 of 4681 Old 06-03-2010, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post

GreenEyez, i tried the ffdshow on your link, still no luck. Still can't get audio bitstreaming. (still DTS no DTS-HD Master). Any more tweaks?

I`m running out of ideas. It doesn`t seem to be a driver or ffdshow issue, since bitstreaming works fine in TMT3, you are using the same ffdshow ver. i am using and you have the correct settings.

What version if MPC-HC are you running? Maybe it`s a bug in that MPC-HC version, namely the splitter.
And are you running Cat 10.4 or 10.5 ?

post #375 of 4681 Old 06-03-2010, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good idea about the comparison screenshots....

By the way, since this is OT..........you may want to start a seperate thread about it. That way others can chip in with their own experiences.

Also, if possible, could you take screenshots while playing an actual BD disk or mounted ISO.....not rips? I still don't trust those rips. Some kind of encoding / transcoding may happen inadvertently.
But then again.......for the purpose of this comparision........it does not really matter, does it.

Also one more thing........the extra sharpness you are referring to........are you sure it is not just artificially added edge enhancement.........which may be percieved by our eyes as "looking sharper"?

TVs add sharpness all the time............just the make the video pop out in the stores.....but it gets tiring fast. And of course , the video is no more an accurate representation of the original video.

Another thing.......WMC does not , by default play blu-rays........so this comparison is not really WMC vs MPC.

It is rather WMC + some codec vs MPC.

Then again..........it is the codec which is rendering the picture, right? So it may not really WMC which is [supposedly] making the pic soft.
Maybe the codec you install to play those BD rips does not play well with WMC.......but plays better in MPC.

A more fair test would be to use a DVD [which both players can play by default....out of the box]

Like I said....this is all OT!

PS: by the way, I always have used PDVD to play Blu-ray ISOs and I have compared it with stand-alone players.........I feel PDVD on a HTPC gives a better PQ

OT? You mean offtopic ? Not quite, since it relates to the players used in my guide, a comparison between them doesn`t hurt for the readers.
But i`ll do a separate thread and add the results here also.

As you said, WMP12 can`t play Bu rays disks or Blu ray folders or ISO images. MPC-HC can, but it`s limited when it comes to menus (last i heard, anyway).
They are both used for playback of rips in my guide, namely rips in MKV or m2ts containers.

The rips have untouched video and HD audio, believe me. TS Muxer/ Clown BD and Another EAC3to gui are just remuxing applications, they cannot touch the video stream in anyway, even if they wanted to. They would need an encoder like x264 to do that. They were designed to extract streams from 1 container and put them in another (from m2ts to mkv), they can`t modify or alter those video/audio streams in any way. Only the subs are converted from Sub to SRT (since mkv does not support PGS subtitles).
Like moving a titanium bar from one bucket to another. You can`t modify that bar unless you have specilized cutting equipment.

As for DVDs, i threw most of them in my attic, i`m going to try to find a couple and put them in the test, i hope i find somethign since it`s a jungle in there

As for the sharpening, yes i think MPC-HC maybe throwing some edge-enhancement post processing on the video (and no, i don`t use shaders like sharpen complex), that`s what i suspected too. PQ seems the same between using the MPC-HC decoder & the MS decoder, used with WMP12. But i`ll add the MS decoder to the testing.

So basically this is want i`m going to do

Players
-> MPC-HC with its decoder
-> WMP 12 with its decoder
-> WMP 12 with the MPC-HC decoder

Sources :
-> Avatar - m2ts container
-> Saving Private Ryan - mkv container
-> Black Hawk Down - mkv container
-> Terminator 4 Salvation - mkv container
-> War of the Worlds - m2ts container

-> 2 or 3 DVDs, i`m going to see what i find in the "jungle" )

Hope i have time to finish it tonight, since my fridge just went crazy and i think something blew in it and i`m a little busy trying to figure out what happend

post #376 of 4681 Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:

OT? You mean offtopic ? Not quite, since it relates to the players used in my guide, a comparison between them doesn`t hurt for the readers.
But i`ll do a separate thread and add the results here also.

As you said, WMP12 can`t play Bu rays disks or Blu ray folders or ISO images. MPC-HC can, but it`s limited when it comes to menus (last i heard, anyway).
They are both used for playback of rips in my guide, namely rips in MKV or m2ts containers.

The rips have untouched video and HD audio, believe me. TS Muxer/ Clown BD and Another EAC3to gui are just remuxing applications, they cannot touch the video stream in anyway, even if they wanted to. They would need an encoder like x264 to do that. They were designed to extract streams from 1 container and put them in another (from m2ts to mkv), they can`t modify or alter those video/audio streams in any way. Only the subs are converted from Sub to SRT (since mkv does not support PGS subtitles).
Like moving a titanium bar from one bucket to another. You can`t modify that bar unless you have specilized cutting equipment.

As for DVDs, i threw most of them in my attic, i`m going to try to find a couple and put them in the test, i hope i find somethign since it`s a jungle in there

As for the sharpening, yes i think MPC-HC maybe throwing some edge-enhancement post processing on the video (and no, i don`t use shaders like sharpen complex), that`s what i suspected too. PQ seems the same between using the MPC-HC decoder & the MS decoder, used with WMP12. But i`ll add the MS decoder to the testing.

So basically this is want i`m going to do

Players
-> MPC-HC with its decoder
-> WMP 12 with its decoder
-> WMP 12 with the MPC-HC decoder

Sources :
-> Avatar - m2ts container
-> Saving Private Ryan - mkv container
-> Black Hawk Down - mkv container
-> Terminator 4 Salvation - mkv container
-> War of the Worlds - m2ts container

-> 2 or 3 DVDs, i`m going to see what i find in the "jungle" )

Hope i have time to finish it tonight, since my fridge just went crazy and i think something blew in it and i`m a little busy trying to figure out what happend

Get one of those LG fridge with built in LCD screen. You could hook it up to your media collection with a streamer That way you'll be able to get yourself a beer without pausing your movie
post #377 of 4681 Old 06-03-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrimosae View Post

Get one of those LG fridge with built in LCD screen. You could hook it up to your media collection with a streamer That way you'll be able to get yourself a beer without pausing your movie

Lol, nice ideea And if i could find some sort of "beer recognition software" (something similar to those facial recognition software like Seeing Machines or Natal) i could hook up a camera and i could get an alert in 7MC when my beer rezerve is getting to low .
Damn it Microsoft, screw Natal on the Xbox & PC and give us things we can actually use, like beer recognition software ))

Anyway, finally fixed my fridge (was a loose screw at a biding), and did some screens :

Terminator 4 : Salvation

MPC-HC (with internal h264 decoder) vs WMP12 ( with MS h264 decoder)

vs
vs
vs
vs
vs

The rest will follow tomorrow, cuz` i`m too tired right now.

post #378 of 4681 Old 06-03-2010, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anybody else getting this error when starting up Another EAC3to GUI

*** Fixed had to click on the properties/compatibility - then check run as admin.
post #379 of 4681 Old 06-03-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:

I`m running out of ideas. It doesn`t seem to be a driver or ffdshow issue, since bitstreaming works fine in TMT3, you are using the same ffdshow ver. i am using and you have the correct settings.

What version if MPC-HC are you running? Maybe it`s a bug in that MPC-HC version, namely the splitter.
And are you running Cat 10.4 or 10.5 ?

MPC-HC build is 1.3.1249.0. Cat is 10.4. Any help is appreciated.
post #380 of 4681 Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lol, that`s why it isn`t working. You have an old build that doesn`t support bitstreaming.

Download the latest build from here (the link was also in my guide, the links in my guide provide the latest versions of those programs) : http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player...cinema-x86-x64 and the problem should be solved

That old build has an old version of the MKV splitter that doesn`t support HD audio.

Stupid me for not asking that in the first place. My apologies for making you change ffdshow and whatnot when it was actually an MPC-HC issue.

post #381 of 4681 Old 06-03-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Lol, that`s why it isn`t working. You have an old build that doesn`t support bitstreaming.

Download the latest build from here (the link was also in my guide, the links in my guide provide the latest versions of those programs) : http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player...cinema-x86-x64 and the problem should be solved

That old build has an old version of the MKV splitter that doesn`t support HD audio.

Stupid me for not asking that in the first place. My apologies for making you change ffdshow and whatnot when it was actually an MPC-HC issue.

Thank you GreenEyez!! Finally, DTS-HD Mstr!! for MTS files played through MPC-HC!

I did follow your link before on the guide for the MPC-HC download link but majority of the text in that site are in chinese! (joke!) i got confused, i actually have to decipher which one to download today. Thanks for all the help and always on top of answering not just mine but others as well here about 7MC.
post #382 of 4681 Old 06-04-2010, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks! So what is your verdict?

Here is what I see:

[Maybe it is my eyes] but I don't see any loss of detail in the WMP. Details wise both look the same to me.

Notice the details in people's beards, hair details....compare that stuff.
If you see any difference.........can you please point it out?

Quote:

Lol, nice ideea And if i could find some sort of "beer recognition software" (something similar to those facial recognition software like Seeing Machines or Natal) i could hook up a camera and i could get an alert in 7MC when my beer rezerve is getting to low .
Damn it Microsoft, screw Natal on the Xbox & PC and give us things we can actually use, like beer recognition software ))

Anyway, finally fixed my fridge (was a loose screw at a biding), and did some screens :

Terminator 4 : Salvation

MPC-HC (with internal h264 decoder) vs WMP12 ( with MS h264 decoder)

vs
vs
vs
vs
vs

The rest will follow tomorrow, cuz` i`m too tired right now.

-Rajiv
post #383 of 4681 Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In the number 1 set of pictures, MPC-HC has slightly more detail on the face. In set 2 , 3 ,4 they look equal. In set 5 WMP12 kinde looks a little better (a little more detail on the face)

My verdict so far : DRAW. They offer the same PQ.

I`ve opened a thread about this, and i`m doing the Black Hawk Down and Atatar screenshots as we speak

post #384 of 4681 Old 06-04-2010, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post

Thank you GreenEyez!! Finally, DTS-HD Mstr!! for MTS files played through MPC-HC!

I did follow your link before on the guide for the MPC-HC download link but majority of the text in that site are in chinese! (joke!) i got confused, i actually have to decipher which one to download today. Thanks for all the help and always on top of answering not just mine but others as well here about 7MC.

Unfortunately, the creators of MPC-HC haven`t updated the official site with newer builds, so that russian site with half russian/half english text is the only place you can find them.

Glad to see it`s finally resolved and your happy with your HTPC

post #385 of 4681 Old 06-04-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guide update : Added new plugins to the list

Songler (Last.fm & Spotify playback) download link
SecondRun TV (internet TV plugin including Hulu integration) (download link)
Google Reader plugin (download link)
TunerFreeMCE (another iTV plugin, featuring content from the BBC iPlayer and more) (download link)

post #386 of 4681 Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

:-)
One plugin I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want is a sort of a DVR [or DAR for digital audio recorder?] for FM Radio.

I wish I was able to record, pause and rewind FM radio from within WMC.

I listen to a lot of radio....and end up missing a lot of shows just because I cannot have the radio on at that time.

I have tried RadioTime and radiotime red button......redbutton is not a media center plugin. Also the two times I have ran the trial of it.........it never was able to reliablily record FM radio.

-Rajiv
post #387 of 4681 Old 06-05-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

:-)
One plugin I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want is a sort of a DVR [or DAR for digital audio recorder?] for FM Radio.

I wish I was able to record, pause and rewind FM radio from within WMC.

I listen to a lot of radio....and end up missing a lot of shows just because I cannot have the radio on at that time.

I have tried RadioTime and radiotime red button......redbutton is not a media center plugin. Also the two times I have ran the trial of it.........it never was able to reliablily record FM radio.

You might give mcShoutcast a whirl. It has "Laura FM".
post #388 of 4681 Old 06-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles139 View Post

Question: when i try to edit my remote keys for mpc-hc, i don't have MCE_Red or MCE_Blue (or any color).

i have a MCE remote which i pluged in the ir reciever and it worked. no software installed. i use a logitech remote.

do i need to install something?

anybody else having this issue, need to update to the lastest mpc-hc to see the new key commands.

follow Greeneyez's link, don't google it. http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ is outdated.
post #389 of 4681 Old 06-05-2010, 12:56 PM

question: i installed 1.3.2007.0 mpc-hc and now i'm having trouble setting mpc-hc.exe as the default player.

when i had a previous version, i was able to set mpc as default player.

choose default player -> Browse -> \\Media Player Classic - Home Cinema\\mpc-hc.exe -> open

mpc doesn't appear in the Open with window. i used the installer package for mpc. tried uninstalling and reinstalling, nothing. am i doing something wrong here? o.O
post #390 of 4681 Old 06-05-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Are you talking about media browser integration? The add external player feature?

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page