Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 4641 Old 01-15-2012, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xreyuk View Post

Thanks.

I had a look under the CCC control panel, and all of those options you mentioned are already set like they should be. Although I can't change the dynamic range as it's grey'd out.

Is there anything else that could be messing up the colour, such as 7MC itself, or the fact it's a cheap HDMI cable?

The settings in the stickies didn't seem to make any changes whatsoever, don't know if I need to restart for them to take effect?

I am looking for upscale info as well. I spoke with my BIL who uses ffdshow and some filters to upscale. I think that's the route you and I will be taking for upscaling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4641 Old 01-15-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

I've been using W7MC as a dual tuner DVR for awhile and one thing that bugs me about recording from the guide is that (particularly during football season) the networks will shift program start times dynamically due to live events that run long.

My simple solution is to schedule the program I want and the one after it to record when this looks like a possiblity, but, it seems to me that since the program name is in the broadcast content, it would be simple enough for W7MC to monitor this and either not start recording until it sees a match for what you selected from the schedule, and/or to continue recording until the current broadcast name no longer matches what was scheduled to record.

Is there a plug-in or other adaptation available to accomplish this?

Great idea, I doubt MS or anyone has implemented anything like what you suggest.

I had the same problem, and the shows are series recordings, so I just set 7mc to stop 1hr after in the series preferences. Now my 1 hr show is always 2 hours long, sometimes the first 30-40 min are football but I have yet to miss any of my show.
post #4143 of 4641 Old 01-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape View Post

I just set 7mc to stop 1hr after in the series preferences. Now my 1 hr show is always 2 hours long, sometimes the first 30-40 min are football but I have yet to miss any of my show.

That's a better solution than recording the next show as I'd been doing. Thanks.
post #4144 of 4641 Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
quick question on movie playback - I have a few ripped movies that have a very small amount of black bars on top/bottom. Now this is not a 2.35 : 1 movie either. It is a 1.85 : 1 that should be filling the screen all the way. Anything I am missing?

Some of these files are MKV that were converted in handbrake.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #4145 of 4641 Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Under the ATI CCC Control Panel, under video, there should be a buttload off options, including Dynamic Contrast, De-Noise, Edge Enhancement and others. Turn everything off except "Automatic De-Interlancing" and Enforce Smooth playback. There is another setting called "Dynamic Range", depending on your TV, setting it to 16-235 or 0-255 should give you correct white and black levels.

ffdshow could be used with the internal 7MC player, madVR would need Media Player CLassic Home CInema as an external player. You better ask around the forum in regards to upscaling, all my content is 1080/720p so i don`t have much experience with upscaling SD content.

Can you give me an example of one of the TV Shows that MB is not picking up?

What about Color Pixel Format setting?

under My Digital Flat Panel - Properties - Enable GPU Scaling on/off and Enable ITC Processing on/off.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #4146 of 4641 Old 01-16-2012, 04:44 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

quick question on movie playback - I have a few ripped movies that have a very small amount of black bars on top/bottom. Now this is not a 2.35 : 1 movie either. It is a 1.85 : 1 that should be filling the screen all the way. Anything I am missing?

1:85 films - if they're left at 1:85 and not opened up to 1:78 as is commonly done - aren't going to fully fill your 1:78 screen.

NTSC DVDs that are truly 1:85 are going to have roughly 16 pixels of black bars encoded into the video; 1080p, a bit over 40 pixels.
post #4147 of 4641 Old 01-16-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTNgod View Post

1:85 films - if they're left at 1:85 and not opened up to 1:78 as is commonly done - aren't going to fully fill your 1:78 screen.

NTSC DVDs that are truly 1:85 are going to have roughly 16 pixels of black bars encoded into the video; 1080p, a bit over 40 pixels.

Well I need to double check the following but I believe the movie shows up fine streaming to my oppo or my wdtv just not when I play it back from within mce. This is on a blu ray I converted within handbrake.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #4148 of 4641 Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
1:85:1 is an anamorphic astept ratio, close to 16/9 but not identical. Small black bars up/down are normal when displaying 1:85:1 on 16/9, here`s the typcal AR boxes and how they look like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image) so you can get an ideea

As for Color Pixel Format, depends on what your TV supports. My Pionner Kuro and my Sony LCD both support 0-255 Dynamic Range and i have YCbCr 4:4:4 as the pixel format, this is something you need to test out on your specific gear.

As far as ITC processing is concerned, i could only find this on the Ati documentation
Quote:

Enabling ITC Processing for DTVs
ITC processing is a feature that enables display processors to use the appropriate pixel data processing algorithms based on specific content type to ensure video quality.

With ITC processing, the graphics driver enables the display to use its own video quality processing algorithms for movies played in full-screen mode on HDMI™ displays.

Note: This feature is available only for DTVs connected with HDMI cables and may not be available for all systems.
From the Graphics Settings tree, expand DTV.
Click Attributes.
Select or clear Enable ITC Processing as appropriate.
Select—Enables ITC processing for HDMI displays that are capable of the feature. When movies are played in full-screen mode, the display’s processors can be used to ensure video quality.
Clear—Disables ITC processing. Video quality is ensured by the graphics driver for all types of contents displayed.

Not sure about which algorithms they are talking about, so i leave it off.
post #4149 of 4641 Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure what is going on then. I looked up Drive Angry and Bad Teacher and both say 1.85:1. Drive Angry fills the full screen....Bad Teacher has very small black bars top/bottom of screen. Both were downsized in HB settings but I don't see anything different between the two of them comparing the files in mediainfo.

what about Enable GPU Scaling on/off ?

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #4150 of 4641 Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

That's a better solution than recording the next show as I'd been doing. Thanks.

I heard you only need a 15 minute overlap for this.
post #4151 of 4641 Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawass View Post

I heard you only need a 15 minute overlap for this.

Oh? I've seen programs delayed a lot more than that due to a game running over, even when it doesn't go into overtime.
post #4152 of 4641 Old 01-28-2012, 06:17 AM

Is it possible to get reclock to work within windows media center and not using an external player?
post #4153 of 4641 Old 01-28-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
See post from Renethx on Playing back BD and DVD ISO with MPC HomeCinema + WMC

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21560386

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4154 of 4641 Old 01-28-2012, 03:57 PM

I added Windows Media Center SE to my Harmony One and the device power is setup as (toggle) is this correct, or should I set to one button for powerOn, one for powerOff?

Also,
How the heck do I get my PC to sleep using my harmony? Is there an easy solution? I made sure my eHome was set to allow to wake, but allow to sleep is greyed out. It is not however greyed out on the USB hub its plugged into.
post #4155 of 4641 Old 01-28-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korygrandy View Post

I added Windows Media Center SE to my Harmony One and the device power is setup as (toggle) is this correct, or should I set to one button for powerOn, one for powerOff?

Also,
How the heck do I get my PC to sleep using my harmony? Is there an easy solution? I made sure my eHome was set to allow to wake, but allow to sleep is greyed out. It is not however greyed out on the USB hub its plugged into.

The mapped MC SE Power Off and Power Toggle do not power my pc off. However, assinging a sequence to Alt F4 2x + OK will sleep my pc. Now the trick is how do I get this to happen when I hit the Harmony MASTER Power.
post #4156 of 4641 Old 01-28-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Also,

My MCE remote is setup in Harmony as the Ortek VRC-1100 (someone online recommended to use that) and I am able to both Sleep and Wake by using the "power toggle" command. Then I made sure that my motherboard BIOS was set to allow "wake on USB". The mouse and keyboard (which is normally kept in a drawer) can also wake the PC now.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #4157 of 4641 Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

My MCE remote is setup in Harmony as the Ortek VRC-1100 (someone online recommended to use that) and I am able to both Sleep and Wake by using the "power toggle" command. Then I made sure that my motherboard BIOS was set to allow "wake on USB". The mouse and keyboard (which is normally kept in a drawer) can also wake the PC now.

Updating remote now. Will keep you posted. I'm sure I will need to tweak settings and button assignments to get this to fluently work with MediaBrowser + MPC-HC combo.
post #4158 of 4641 Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Updating remote now. Will keep you posted. I'm sure I will need to tweak settings and button assignments to get this to fluently work with MediaBrowser + MPC-HC combo.

I regret doing that move. The power toggle sends an RF command, but my PC nor the MediaCenter app recognize it.

Before, when I sent a LiveTV + Guide command it was flashing T C in mediabrowser. Does anyone know what that means?

Is pressing Live TV actually sending a keyboard T and pressing Guide a C respectively?
post #4159 of 4641 Old 01-29-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I regret doing that move. The power toggle sends an RF command, but my PC nor the MediaCenter app recognize it.

Did you update your BIOS to allow wake on USB?

Quote:

Is pressing Live TV actually sending a keyboard T and pressing Guide a C respectively?

Live TV is Ctrl + T and Guide is Ctrl + G. Not sure what T C would mean.

post #4160 of 4641 Old 02-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Question, do codec packs's like sharks provide any benefit when playing live TV via 7 media center? I recently purchased an LED TV, and I'm having a lot of jery/judder, that wasn't present on the LCD TV it replaced. I've read in number of forums that there are alternate renders which will help with the 3:2 pull down and other issues that relate to the film to video conversion and 30-60FPS issues, but I'm not clear if any of these solutions offer their magic on live TV. So far my only conclusion is that LED's are not as good as hiding the FPS issues as fluorescent backlit LCD's.

I was running a Radeon 5450 but recently upgraded to the GT430, just to give nvidia a test run, I don't see a difference between the two. there's not a lot of setting options in the nvidia control panel, I've disable the dynamic contrast and color enhancement, and then ran the the hack to get Full RBG 0-255 during the setup, can confirm it works, everything else is default.

I'm not an expert on the subject matter, more of a weekend warrior, but as I mentioned, other than the 29/59 bug channels, my setup was running fine until I upgraded to an LED backlit TV (UN55d8000) from the standard fluorescent backlit model (LN52B750).

I have a separate system running a clarkdale with the integrated graphics, I may swap PC's and see if that helps.

Thanks
Dan

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #4161 of 4641 Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

I recently purchased an LED TV, and I'm having a lot of jery/judder, that wasn't present on the LCD TV it replaced...

Have you tried adjusting the settings in the TV's Picture Options menu? Anything that has to do with reducing noise or removing motion artifacts is a good candidate.

Some judder problems are due to incompatible settings between the settings in the graphic card's control panel and the TV menu. In my case, I had to disable a setting called CineMotion to avoid judder. 'worth a try...
post #4162 of 4641 Old 02-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehowell View Post

Have you tried adjusting the settings in the TV's Picture Options menu? Anything that has to do with reducing noise or removing motion artifacts is a good candidate.

Some judder problems are due to incompatible settings between the settings in the graphic card's control panel and the TV menu. In my case, I had to disable a setting called CineMotion to avoid judder. 'worth a try...

I don't use any of the GPU's post video processing, all settings default to use those of the video player, in my case what ever 7MC I assume, and I'm not sure there are any controls to activate in 7MC. But maybe I should turning on the GPU post processing, hum.

I've tried with a number of combinations of the digital noise filter, Mpeg noise filter, Auto-motion plus at part of the TV's controls, but the judder is not consistent form channel to channel, and even the programs on the same channel vary, some have judder some don't.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #4163 of 4641 Old 02-04-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 676
anyone know a link for a download program that shows media info?

I have a clean install and lost it.

In my old system if I held my mouse over a movie file or folder it would show in a window the media info.

ANyone help ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4164 of 4641 Old 02-04-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

anyone know a link for a download program that shows media info?

Media Info does a great job of that.

Available on Sourceforge or compiled into various codec packs (Shark has it).

post #4165 of 4641 Old 02-05-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, i think MediaInfo is the only program of this kind, that`s probably what you used and deleted.
post #4166 of 4641 Old 02-05-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys looking for some opinions on Music Playback -

I have a Squeezebox as of right now but that will get moved/sold.

I want something I can control from my android device. I don't need the tv on while listening. Some options I am looking into -

Foobar on my HTPC with foobar android app

Squeezeplay and Logitech Squeezebox Controller.

Is there any decent options for XBMC/WMC playback.

Oh I also would like to create different playlists and be able to use those for playback.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #4167 of 4641 Old 02-07-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
guys, which digital tuners do you use with your Win7 setup?

i've heard very nice reviews about the HP USB and AverTv Volar Max tuners, but these are USB stick tuners and I am a little skeptic about the picture quality they deliver considering they are not PCI-e based.

i am looking for something that is reliable and deliver good picture quality.

many thanks!
post #4168 of 4641 Old 02-07-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

i've heard very nice reviews about the HP USB and AverTv Volar Max tuners, but these are USB stick tuners and I am a little skeptic about the picture quality they deliver considering they are not PCI-e based.

I am currently using a Hauppauge PVR 2250 dual tuner. It is PCI-e based, and has two ATSC tuners on one card so you can record two things at once. I also have an older PCI Dvico Fusion 5, but am not currently using it in that PC (no real need to install it, don't often need to record 3 things at once). The nice thing about the 2250's chipset is that all the encoding processing is on the card itself, so it doesn't impact system performance by offloading to your CPU. Other cards I used would slow down your computer and you couldn't do things while it was recording in the background.

I have never used a USB tuner myself, but I wouldn't be worried about their picture quality. For digital streams, it's going to be bit perfect copies of what your local OTA stations send out. The only thing I'd be worried about is if your computer can handle the bitrates that HD video consumes, because with USB tuners the processing power will be on the CPU. If you've got a fast enough computer, it shouldn't be a problem. My coworker uses a USB tuner on his older laptop with no issues. USB 2.0 is more than capable of the maximum throughput 18 mbps you will get from an OTA station.

post #4169 of 4641 Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
thanks tighr.

the tuner will be on an HTPC with AMD Athlon II X2 3.0Ghz, 8GB RAM, and ATI Radeon 5670 vid card.

I've been running blu-ray playback on this system without a glitch. I hope this is more than adequate for OVA stream.
post #4170 of 4641 Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Guys looking for some opinions on Music Playback -

I have a Squeezebox as of right now but that will get moved/sold.

I want something I can control from my android device. I don't need the tv on while listening. Some options I am looking into -

Foobar on my HTPC with foobar android app

Squeezeplay and Logitech Squeezebox Controller.

Is there any decent options for XBMC/WMC playback.

Oh I also would like to create different playlists and be able to use those for playback.

For XBMC the Android remote lets you do that, control it without turning on the display.

For WMC, i need to research more, there are some options listed in my guide but i`ve never used them for music control. The guide needs some updating these couple of days, so i`m gonna PM you when i finish updating it and if i find what you want.

PS: Another option is J River with their Android remote.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page