Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #391 of 4705 Old 06-05-2010, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Are you talking about media browser integration? The add external player feature?

i meant in win7. like double clicking on a .mkv file and it launches mpc-hc. using mpc as external player works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 4705 Old 06-05-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles139 View Post

i meant in win7. like double clicking on a .mkv file and it launches mpc-hc. using mpc as external player works fine.

Right click the MPC-HC shortcut, and run as administrator. Then go to options, formats, and choose .mkv (I actually hit video there, so all video files are opened in MPC-HC).
post #393 of 4705 Old 06-05-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeballer View Post

Right click the MPC-HC shortcut, and run as administrator. Then go to options, formats, and choose .mkv (I actually hit video there, so all video files are opened in MPC-HC).

that did the trick, thx eyeballer.
post #394 of 4705 Old 06-05-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You can also associate MPC-HC as the default player for X format by going into options -> formats and selecting which extension you want to paly with MPC-HC.
post #395 of 4705 Old 06-06-2010, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there an issue with Metabrowser and the backdrop images that it finds for movies now? It's been a couple weeks since I've added to my library, but now for every movie that I get metadata for with Metabrowser, the backdrop images are no longer either 1920x1080 or 1280x720... they all have a listed resolution of 780x439. I will say the backdrops still look great when displayed fullscreen on my 720p Samsung LCD... but I just thought it was odd that all resolutions for backdrops are now 780x439. Even if I replace old backrops with the ones Metabrowser collects now (the same image that I've been using), the resolution is no longer 1920x1080, but 780x439. Very strange... wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
post #396 of 4705 Old 06-06-2010, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Blu Ray ripping GUIDE - Part 2 : Ripping to MKV

Ok so after testing out Part 1 and 2 of the Ripping Guide. I'm having some trouble in Part 2 with the Subtitles in Another EAC3toGUI. I make sure there selected before I run the program. When I play back the completed MKV there's no subtitles there to play back in MPC-HC.

Seems like the Subtitles are not getting muxed in the MKV inside Another EAC3toGUI.

Only way I am able to get this to work is run tsMuxer (Demux files), BDSup2Sub, mkvmerge GUI.
post #397 of 4705 Old 06-06-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDestroyer8418 View Post

Blu Ray ripping GUIDE - Part 2 : Ripping to MKV

Ok so after testing out Part 1 and 2 of the Ripping Guide. I'm having some trouble in Part 2 with the Subtitles in Another EAC3toGUI. I make sure there selected before I run the program. When I play back the completed MKV there's no subtitles there to play back in MPC-HC.

Seems like the Subtitles are not getting muxed in the MKV inside Another EAC3toGUI.

Only way I am able to get this to work is run tsMuxer (Demux files), BDSup2Sub, mkvmerge GUI.

Are you using full subtitles or only forced subs?

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #398 of 4705 Old 06-06-2010, 07:55 AM

Trying to get Full Subtitles , also Forced subs if there were originally on the BD (for non English Parts etc). I checked the MKV file with MediaInfo and there is no Subtitle in the file at all.

I made sure the correct path was selected in Another EAC3to in the Options for BDSup2Sub.
post #399 of 4705 Old 06-06-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh830 View Post

Is there an issue with Metabrowser and the backdrop images that it finds for movies now? It's been a couple weeks since I've added to my library, but now for every movie that I get metadata for with Metabrowser, the backdrop images are no longer either 1920x1080 or 1280x720... they all have a listed resolution of 780x439. I will say the backdrops still look great when displayed fullscreen on my 720p Samsung LCD... but I just thought it was odd that all resolutions for backdrops are now 780x439. Even if I replace old backrops with the ones Metabrowser collects now (the same image that I've been using), the resolution is no longer 1920x1080, but 780x439. Very strange... wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

You can't use matabrowser 1 anymore for that since tmdb changed their api and metabrowser 1 isn't updated anymore. It only gets the thumbnail from tmdb now not the full backdrop.

Try Media Center Master instead.
post #400 of 4705 Old 06-06-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, i hade the same issue today when i tried to rip a movie using Another EAC3To GUI. I normally use a "manual" ripping methond (demux with TS muxer, covert sub to sup/idx with BDSub2Sup and remux everything back with MKV merge) but i got tired of it and tried to use AnotherEAC3to GUI.
Subtitles get demuxed, but not converted/remuxed into the mkv. I think the issues could be the fact that i am using the EAC3to/BDSub2Sup from the BD_Clown package, which may be old versions.

Anyway, i`m going to try to figure out what`s wrong, in the meantime BDestroyer8418 you can convert the Sub subtitles (that got demuxed in the working folder) into IDX/Sup and merge them into the MKV using MKVMerge, untill i figure it out.
post #401 of 4705 Old 06-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Anyway, i`m going to try to figure out what`s wrong, in the meantime BDestroyer8418 you can convert the Sub subtitles (that got demuxed in the working folder) into IDX/Sup and merge them into the MKV using MKVMerge, untill i figure it out.

Yup that what I was doing when figuring out another way. I did notice in MKVmerge you do have to type in 23.976 in the FPS field otherwise it will assume it's 25 FPS. Also there's no chapter support doing this way (but I'm pretty sure I'm missing something to do).

Running

BDSub2Sup - Version 4.0.0
Another EAC3toGUI - Version 0.9.1.18
post #402 of 4705 Old 06-06-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, for h.264 streams you have to manually enter the FPS field.

Regarding chapters, they have nothing to to with remuxing the subs. When you load your movie into MKVMerge, there should be a Chapters section, down below, like in my screenshot (don`t laugh at the movie, it`s for my GF )

Anyway, i hope to solve this issue tonight.
LL
post #403 of 4705 Old 06-06-2010, 01:16 PM

Thanks...

I was using tsMuxer to Demux the files but it did not have a Chapter File. In the workfiles from Another EAC3to there is a Chapter File that I can add in mkvmerge (Global - Chapters - browse) Seems to work fine this way so far.

I'll keep hacking away and see if I can find a fix as well for Another EAC3to for the Subtitles.
post #404 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 02:11 AM

some more minor issues, anyone help me out?

1) Cover for ISOs don't show up in Media browser, all other else (m2ts) work. although when i click on the movie everything shows up ie. backdrop, synopsis, actors etc.

2) When i play the ISOs, it goes to ask which player to use, so it asks me if i want to use HP DVD player or TMT. how do i disable HP DVD in 7MC and just have it go use TMT? i've already selected TMT as the default program in W7 config.

3) When i watch Live TV in 7MC (OTA to HTPC to TV), the pictures are little bit duller than watching directly on my TV (antenna OTA direct to TV).
post #405 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 08:48 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I read through this thread last night. First, thank you, GreenEyez, for consolidating, validating, and creating the content this in this thread! Also, thank you, umdivx, for your work in documenting a minimalist shark install!

Some questions have arisen as I've been experimenting with my HTPC, and I'm hoping someone can help resolve them...

1. If one uses TMT for Blu-ray playback, why not use it for everything? It seems to play everything, and the benefit would be a uniform user experience.

2. In Media Browser, there is a long pause after choosing play, while the ISO is mounted and TMT is launched. Is there a way to get Media Browser to display a wait cursor, transition screen, or something while this happens? I have visions of my spouse and kids repeatedly pressing play and ok until they get some feedback.

3. When ripping Blu-ray to a file/folder structure, is it possible to start playing the main feature directly, skipping notices, advertisements and menus?

4. I need to do some serious reading on MKV vs. Blu-ray ISO vs. Blu-ray file/folder structure, but forced subtitles seem to be one serious issue for MKV. Unless I've misread, Auto Rip n Compress only supports forced subtitles when transcoding with Handbrake. The most user friendly alternative appears to be AEAC (Another EAC3to GUI), but it lacks Win7MC integration, a serious WAF issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

/jab

P.S. I highly recommend True Image Home for making images of the OS partition while experimenting with different HTPC configuration. Backups and restores take only about 4 minutes each for me, and I now have separate saved images for base OS, base Media Browser, and base My Movies installations that I can use to return to a known configuration.
post #406 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 08:51 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post

1) Cover for ISOs don't show up in Media browser, all other else (m2ts) work. although when i click on the movie everything shows up ie. backdrop, synopsis, actors etc.

Odd. Works for me. Do you have each ISO in a separate folder?

Quote:

2) When i play the ISOs, it goes to ask which player to use, so it asks me if i want to use HP DVD player or TMT. how do i disable HP DVD in 7MC and just have it go use TMT? i've already selected TMT as the default program in W7 config.

This is happening to me too, for DVD ISO. I think you can solve this by configuring TMT as an external player for DVDs in Media Browser, but I haven't tried that yet.

/jab
post #407 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post

4. I need to do some serious reading on MKV vs. Blu-ray ISO vs. Blu-ray file/folder structure, but forced subtitles seem to be one serious issue for MKV. Unless I've misread, Auto Rip n Compress only supports forced subtitles when transcoding with Handbrake. The most user friendly alternative appears to be AEAC (Another EAC3to GUI), but it lacks Win7MC integration, a serious WAF issue. Any thoughts?

Now granted, for my mkvs I have MPC HC launch from MediaBrowser for playback, but forced subtitles play flawless. When you talk about W7MC integration are you talking about being able to rip/create the mkv all from within W7MC?

Cheers,
Damian

post #408 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

4. I need to do some serious reading on MKV vs. Blu-ray ISO vs. Blu-ray file/folder structure, but forced subtitles seem to be one serious issue for MKV.

I've never had problems with forced subtitles in mkv files. They've always just worked for me but I've only tried mkv + forced subs with MPC-HC and Zoomplayer. Maybe some other players have issues? With mpc-hc, they should just work right out of the box provided you ripped everything correctly.

Quote:

Unless I've misread, Auto Rip n Compress only supports forced subtitles when transcoding with Handbrake. The most user friendly alternative appears to be AEAC (Another EAC3to GUI), but it lacks Win7MC integration, a serious WAF issue. Any thoughts?

Are you trying to setup your HTPC so your wife can rip a movie? Don't. That's just asking for trouble. Leave that as a separate activity that you do yourself and don't worry about integrating the ripping process into Win7MC.
post #409 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Odd. Works for me. Do you have each ISO in a separate folder? /jab

Yes, same as my other movie files (m2ts).

ie. H:\\Blu-ray\\Movie Title (year)\\Movie.iso

I can just re-rip the whole thing and see how it goes?? I was hoping there was a quick fix or setting i may have just missed.

Quote:

This is happening to me too, for DVD ISO. I think you can solve this by configuring TMT as an external player for DVDs in Media Browser, but I haven't tried that yet. /jab

I've also configured MB external player, it works. It's just that there's an extra step showing up with both HPDVD and TMT as choices after i hit play in MB. I'd like to bypass this step and have TMT take over right away.
post #410 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Now granted, for my mkvs I have MPC HC launch from MediaBrowser for playback, but forced subtitles play flawless. When you talk about W7MC integration are you talking about being able to rip/create the mkv all from within W7MC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post

I've never had problems with forced subtitles in mkv files. They've always just worked for me but I've only tried mkv + forced subs with MPC-HC and Zoomplayer. Maybe some other players have issues? With mpc-hc, they should just work right out of the box provided you ripped everything correctly.

Are you trying to setup your HTPC so your wife can rip a movie?

So, do the two of you do nothing special to get Blu-ray subtitles into the MKV? I thought MKVs didn't provide native support for Blu-ray subtitles and that the subtitles needed to be converted And, then, there's this thread about how people are missing forced subtitles in some of their MKVs. This topic confuses me, so I apparently have a lot more reading to do.

Also, yes, I'm trying to setup the HTPC so that my wife can rip new movies in a friendly fashion. Auto Rip n Compress seems a nice step in that direction, with the exception of the forced subtitles issue, which AEAC seems to handle reasonably well. What I appear to need is AEAC for Win7MC.
post #411 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, same as my other movie files (m2ts).

ie. H:\\Blu-ray\\Movie Title (year)\\Movie.iso

What jpegs are in that folder? If I understand correctly, you're just missing the cover art, but the rest of the art and metadata is fine, right?
post #412 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So, do the two of you do nothing special to get Blu-ray subtitles into the MKV? I thought MKVs didn't provide native support for Blu-ray subtitles and that the subtitles needed to be converted And, then, there's this thread about how people are missing forced subtitles in some of their MKVs. This topic confuses me, so I apparently have a lot more reading to do.

Also, yes, I'm trying to setup the HTPC so that my wife can rip new movies in a friendly fashion. Auto Rip n Compress seems a nice step in that direction, with the exception of the forced subtitles issue, which AEAC seems to handle reasonably well. What I appear to need is AEAC for Win7MC.

You can read my mkv guides here:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/tag/mkv/

Another EAC3To GUI gets the forced subs automatically, otherwise you can us BDSup2Sub to mux in. if anyone is missing forced subs it is because they forgot to mux in.

More power to you for trying to get the wife involved, but still seems risky lol

Cheers,
Damian

post #413 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post

Are you trying to setup your HTPC so your wife can rip a movie? Don't. That's just asking for trouble. Leave that as a separate activity that you do yourself and don't worry about integrating the ripping process into Win7MC.

I've actually liked 'AutoRip/Compress' integration in 7MC. Just one button click and rips it (ISO or M2TS or MKV). I can do some other stuff (ie. watch live TV, play chess! or surf) while waiting for the rip to finish.

I still don't actually get why a need for a separate workflow just to rip the blu-ray.

I've ripped to ISO and lately just M2TS although MKV from autoripcompress stutters so bad. Not sure why?? Also, I'm actually seeing some downsides of M2TS without the chapters, will be trying MKV and GreenEyez latest guide. Hopefully the MKV output plays out well.
post #414 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry guys that i didn`t have time too look over the AEACto subtile issue, but i was busy yesterday. Anyway, i`ll rip Avatar tonight to mkv and while i am at it i`ll try to figure out the sub issue.
post #415 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Another EAC3To GUI gets the forced subs automatically, otherwise you can us BDSup2Sub to mux in. if anyone is missing forced subs it is because they forgot to mux in.

So if you only want the Forced Subs part of the MKV then Another EAC3To GUI is all you need to run. But if you want full subs also then you need to use the workfiles from Another EAC3To GUI and then run MKVmerge yourself to get everything.

This is the only way I found to do it.

Quote:

Sorry guys that i didn`t have time too look over the AEACto subtile issue, but i was busy yesterday. Anyway, i`ll rip Avatar tonight to mkv and while i am at it i`ll try to figure out the sub issue.

I was going to do the samething use Avatar and figure it out. I think what I understand is if you select the subtitles they only get muxed in if there are forced subtitles. Since BDSup2Sub doesn't get called.
post #416 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:

What jpegs are in that folder? If I understand correctly, you're just missing the cover art, but the rest of the art and metadata is fine, right?

No jpegs in the folder just like the others. Now that you've mentioned it, the metadata might be suspect. These were the 2 movies i first ripped (trying out experimental stage) and not fully set-up autorip/compress settings to retrieve metadata. How do i fix metadata info without re-ripping the movie?
post #417 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So if you only want the Forced Subs part of the MKV then Another EAC3To GUI is all you need to run. But if you want full subs also then you need to use the workfiles from Another EAC3To GUI and then run MKVmerge yourself to get everything.

This is the only way I found to do it.

I was going to do the samething use Avatar and figure it out. I think what I understand is if you select the subtitles they only get muxed in if there are forced subtitles. Since BDSup2Sub doesn't get called.

I believe so, however, I only care about forced subs and not normal subs so I cannot confirm. You are correct, AEAC only muxes in forced subs. I think there was an update to the software recently but not sure if non forced subs was addressed

Cheers,
Damian

post #418 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

FYI, the latest release for AEAC shows this:

Quote:

Current Version 0.9.1.18 Added support for movie name checking and image downloads with themoviedb.org. Support for non-forced subtitles. Lower CPU useage while archiving. Status bar that warns the use if there is not enough disk space is available in the work folder or final file location.

I don't know exactly what the support for non-forced subtitles entails though. With other versions if you were to rip Avatar you would only get the forced subs with AEAC unless you went with the Command Line option

Cheers,
Damian

post #419 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read through this thread last night. First, thank you, GreenEyez, for consolidating, validating, and creating the content this in this thread! Also, thank you, umdivx, for your work in documenting a minimalist shark install!

Some questions have arisen as I've been experimenting with my HTPC, and I'm hoping someone can help resolve them...

1. If one uses TMT for Blu-ray playback, why not use it for everything? It seems to play everything, and the benefit would be a uniform user experience.

Because TMT3 has some issues with mkv containers. Some of my movies would give me a blank screen when played. Also, no subtitle/multiple audio switching, i don`t think you can bitstream HD audio from MKV containers.
This might have changed with the latest 1.80 patch (they said something regarding "better mkv support" in the changelog)
Gotta look into this

Quote:

2. In Media Browser, there is a long pause after choosing play, while the ISO is mounted and TMT is launched. Is there a way to get Media Browser to display a wait cursor, transition screen, or something while this happens? I have visions of my spouse and kids repeatedly pressing play and ok until they get some feedback.

Unfortunately, that`s the downside of ISO images. That`s why i preffer and recommend ripping to BR folder structures or MKV. No, i don`t think you can make it display a cursor.

Quote:

3. When ripping Blu-ray to a file/folder structure, is it possible to start playing the main feature directly, skipping notices, advertisements and menus?

Well the Clown_BD tutorial does exactly that. Rips the main movie, no ads/extra features/menu.
Quote:

I`m going to look into the Auto Rip & Compress and see if forced subs are supported or not when just remuxing. MKV has no actual issues regarding forced subs.

Quote:

P.S. I highly recommend True Image Home for making images of the OS partition while experimenting with different HTPC configuration. Backups and restores take only about 4 minutes each for me, and I now have separate saved images for base OS, base Media Browser, and base My Movies installations that I can use to return to a known configuration.

Yup, Acronis FTW
post #420 of 4705 Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No jpegs in the folder just like the others. Now that you've mentioned it, the metadata might be suspect. These were the 2 movies i first ripped (trying out experimental stage) and not fully set-up autorip/compress settings to retrieve metadata. How do i fix metadata info without re-ripping the movie?

Are you saying there are no jpegs in any of your folders or no jpegs in the folder that is causing problems? Maybe my media library isn't clean, since it was processed first with My Movies before using Media Browser, but I seem to have a jpeg of the cover art in every folder.

Can you just use the Media Browser refresh button in the details screen for the affected movies? If not, there's no shortage of programs for adding metadata, but I'm a n00b, so you'll probably need to get some advice from someone else.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page