Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 155 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4621 of 4641 Old 12-18-2013, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

the only way around this is to do a restore of your existing drive image, or clone and some times this has not worked. A reinstallation of the OS is guaranteed to break DRM, bye bye to your copy once programs.
I did this exact thing to move my OS to a SSD drive, it broke my DRM because of the hard drive change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 4641 Old 12-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord View Post

I did this exact thing to move my OS to a SSD drive, it broke my DRM because of the hard drive change.

that's nuts that you can't even swap out a drive, but we don't really have a choice.

Did your shrink your partition such that you could do a straight clone of your exiting OS partition, to the SSD?

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #4623 of 4641 Old 12-18-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord View Post

I thought I had replied in here but it was a different thread on this same topic. I'm not sure if clone worked, but I thought the repair windows installation from system image worked fine?

Which one are you referring to when you say you did that exact thing
post #4624 of 4641 Old 12-20-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:

that's nuts that you can't even swap out a drive, but we don't really have a choice.

Did your shrink your partition such that you could do a straight clone of your exiting OS partition, to the SSD?
The SSD drive was larger than my original OS drive. I used Partition Magic to clone the drive over.
post #4625 of 4641 Old 12-20-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I thought I had replied in here but it was a different thread on this same topic. I'm not sure if clone worked, but I thought the repair windows installation from system image worked fine?

Which one are you referring to when you say you did that exact thing
I used Partition Magic to clone the OS drive over to a new SSD drive.
post #4626 of 4641 Old 12-30-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 10
Is there a way to wipe out all the WMC settings and just start over? I actually had it set up fairly well until...

1. I added a HDHomerun tuner which for a while only saw 2 of the 3 tuners and wouldn't d/l a channel guide. I got that fixed then
2. I saw the guide at the beginning of this thread and tried to switch to media browser from metabrowser. The themes don't seem to be applying and now I can't use the HDHomerun. The guide is still populated but whenever i choose a channel it hangs then says it can't find a tuner.

I think I'd like to just follow this thread from scratch, although that may be drastic unless someone can help with the HDHomerun.
post #4627 of 4641 Old 01-01-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I think I'm using the first .gov time server, time.nist.gov, which has been anywhere from right on time to roughly off by 15 seconds, one way or the other when compared to the time I get on the Comcast weather info channel, powered by the weather channel. I have my time set to sync every ten minutes if I recall correctly, and was the single best thing I've done to my HTPC in terms of reliable recordings.

as far as the sycn feature, I think that's left over when you could sync files to your zoom or maybe other portable media player

Are you using the Task Scheduler for the 10 minute time fetch?

And while I got you, I have a program, RealTemp, that I can't seem to get to stay active. As in, when I start it and come back next day, it is not running. The HTPC is 24/7. I'm pretty sure I have it in the Startup group. Any preliminary ideas?

Thanks..........

I'm old.
Was trained on vacuum tubes.
Most everything I've worked on is in the museum or on the History Channel.
post #4628 of 4641 Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBoyz View Post

Are you using the Task Scheduler for the 10 minute time fetch?

And while I got you, I have a program, RealTemp, that I can't seem to get to stay active. As in, when I start it and come back next day, it is not running. The HTPC is 24/7. I'm pretty sure I have it in the Startup group. Any preliminary ideas?

Thanks..........

Here are some basic directions on the time sync, but once your in there you can see that you apply different options, http://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/, I'm not familiar with real temp, I might suggest you work with the developer, its not like your trying to run it as a service, you could also try CPUZ, GPUZ (which I think is from the same dev as Realtemp), and you can also try speed fan to monitor temps.

Thanks for the reminder on the time sync, I just rebuilt one of my HTPC's, and forgot to apply this fix. Happy New Year.

post #4629 of 4641 Old 01-01-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Here are some basic directions on the time sync, but once your in there you can see that you apply different options, http://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/, I'm not familiar with real temp, I might suggest you work with the developer, its not like your trying to run it as a service, you could also try CPUZ, GPUZ (which I think is from the same dev as Realtemp), and you can also try speed fan to monitor temps.

Thanks for the reminder on the time sync, I just rebuilt one of my HTPC's, and forgot to apply this fix. Happy New Year.
I followed the directions on the page but it never worked for me. I've since started using AtomicClockSync which is working great.
I have it sync the time every 12 hours.
post #4630 of 4641 Old 01-02-2014, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 View Post

I followed the directions on the page but it never worked for me. I've since started using AtomicClockSync which is working great.
I have it sync the time every 12 hours.

definitely go with what ever works for you and is easy, but for the benefit of others, the directions on the link do work, but a couple of items that may throw you off, if you copy and past the program and arguments, make sure you don't accidently include a space at the beginning or end, and on the triggers tab, the author does not highlight that he/she has checked the enabled box, this is crucial and makes it all work.

post #4631 of 4641 Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 AM

post #4632 of 4641 Old 01-02-2014, 08:52 AM

+1

Follow well documented instructions to the letter should work.
post #4633 of 4641 Old 01-04-2014, 11:47 PM

A few weeks ago I realized that my sports option is gone from WMC. I figured it was something I inadvertently did but I checked on my 2 other WMC computers and it's gone from all of them. I'm assuming this is something done deliberately by MS although I can't imagine why in the name of God they would remove such a useful option from WMC? Is there any way to re-enable it?
post #4634 of 4641 Old 01-05-2014, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Nope, it's gone. This is the message that was posted in the Sports page, but the KB link doesn't work.
Quote:
As of December 10, 2013, the Windows Media Center Sports experience will no longer be available. Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/KB2901043 for more details. You can still find all your favorite Sports news through your internet browser at http://www.msn.com/sports.
post #4635 of 4641 Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post

Nope, it's gone. This is the message that was posted in the Sports page, but the KB link doesn't work.

Incredible. Only Microsoft...
post #4636 of 4641 Old 01-05-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Just curious, where did you find the spot to select "10 minute" fetch? I only noticed daily.

I'm old.
post #4637 of 4641 Old 01-05-2014, 11:46 AM

While on the subject of time, noticed that the time in WMC7 was behind the PC SysTray time by about 2 hours. I closed WMC and restarted it. Time is correct now. I've not checked every day so this could be an intermittent issue.
I did a quick 1/2asse search and found no obvious answer.

I just installed the "Make Windows synchronize time more often" scheduler. I'm guessing that is for the M$ clock.

I did check in WMC under Tasks>General>blah blah to enable the update service and it was.

Any thoughts?

I'm old.
post #4638 of 4641 Old 01-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryinnv View Post

Incredible. Only Microsoft...

Yep, I loved checking the scores, seeing the other games that were on now and later, this feature stopped working earlier in the year. Here MS has a product, that use to be included with every single version of windows, and they failed to capitalize, MCE would destroy a roku, Apple TV, and it's been around since 2000 or there abouts, a product before it's time, but did you ever see them advertise MCE in a commercial for windows? I'll compare MCE to windows home server, a fantastic piece of software, that they poorly promoted.

post #4639 of 4641 Old 01-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just curious, where did you find the spot to select "10 minute" fetch? I only noticed daily.

it's under triggers,

triggers.JPG 50k .JPG file

post #4640 of 4641 Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

While on the subject of time, noticed that the time in WMC7 was behind the PC SysTray time by about 2 hours. I closed WMC and restarted it. Time is correct now. I've not checked every day so this could be an intermittent issue.
I did a quick 1/2asse search and found no obvious answer.

I just installed the "Make Windows synchronize time more often" scheduler. I'm guessing that is for the M$ clock.

I did check in WMC under Tasks>General>blah blah to enable the update service and it was.

Any thoughts?

Check the clock in the bios, it could be the issue, maybe you need to replace the battery on the MB too.

post #4641 of 4641 Old 03-21-2014, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Is there a way to delete all channels & program guide information from Media Center? I had a new pc built with windows 7 32 bit, which I thought was 64 bit. In this set up I believe that when I was going thru
the original set up process, I scanned for the channels 1st & then added the guide information. Regardless, all of the local channels appeared. Then I had windows 7 64 bit installed. This time, I downloaded the guide information & then scanned for the channels. Now I can't receive the local ABC channel. It appears in the guide & shows 100% in the edit channel screen, but I get no picture or sound. I even tried to add manually & nothing. I thought about disconnecting the antenna & scanning, but did not know if that would clear out the channel information. Any suggestions, greatly appreciated

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page