Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 156 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4651 of 4661 Old 08-17-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post
I wonder -- if the Ceton driver gets reinstalled, will that affect the ability to watch previous copy-protected recordings, or not really?
Protected recordings are tied to the WMC computer that made the recording, not the tuner. I've re-installed drivers, replaced a failed CableCARD and cloned the OS HDD to a SSD and that had no effect on being able to play protected recordings. I've since removed the Ceton tuner card from that computer and installed it in a different computer. All of my protected recordings continue to play as long as I play them from the PC that recorded them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 4661 Old 08-17-2014, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow, it's a relief to know that I can experiment around so much without fear of losing everything the wife has recorded. Thanks @Walternate and @Ken.F for the info.

After the latest fail, I set off the AV (Norton) firewall to be turned off for 1 hour and rebooted the PC with the firewall off, to see if WMC screws up near the 60-minute mark when the firewall comes back online. From my reading, firewall issues are another thing to look at, although I've never had any problems with that before.

Everything's working again for now. This time WMC invited me to set up or activate the CableCard, but clicking through most of that I was able to tune any and all channels again. For now.
post #4653 of 4661 Old 08-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Help!

I'm using WMC on Windows 7 Home Premium, with a Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-e tuner.

Everything had been working fine for months until this afternoon, when I installed this month's massive load of Windows Updates. Unfortunately, to confuse things there was also a Norton Internet Security update that required a reboot, and a spontaneous "Microsoft Office Starter 2010" update (I'd never had one of these before on this machine).

After the reboot, I had to do the usual things with WMC to get it working again -- slide out the CableCard, wait 30 seconds, and slide it back in, then change the channel. Everything seemed to be working fine, but then after a few minutes the screen went black. None of the usual quick fixes I did (close and relaunch WMC, slide the CableCard out and back in, reboot the computer) got it to work again. At best I wouid get the "Viewing or Listening Conflict" error, or else the one telling me that "The TV signal cannot be configured because no TV tuner was detected."

What's frustrating is that when I go into Device Manager, it tells me that the tuner is working properly. Moreover, the Ceton Diagnostics Tool gives me all green checks, including the ones for tuning to a channel to check for entitlement/authorization. And yet WMC won't budge; going into TV Setup it tells me that it can't find any tuners?!?

What could be going on, and what can I do to get this fixed? WAF is fast plummeting to zero and a cableco DVR is looming on the horizon.

TIA for any tips or suggestions.
System Restore is your friend. Roll back to the restore point that Windows automatically created before installing all those updates.

My WMC box is dedicated to that task. I've not only turned off Windows Updates, I've also turned off the Update service itself (otherwise, "critical" updates will continue to slide in). I've learned over the years that what you describe is more typical than not, as a result of various updates.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #4654 of 4661 Old 08-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
And here's the best reason to leave updates off for a PC that does nothing but record TV and serve it to the wife and family:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...f_Death_update

Microsoft urges customers to uninstall 'Blue Screen of Death' update

One of last week's security updates has bricked an unknown number of PCs running Windows 7

...Within hours of its release, however, users reported that MS14-045 had generated a Stop 0x50 error on some systems, mostly on Windows 7 PCs running the 64-bit version of the OS.
"Installation went smoothly. After rebooting everything worked fine. But when I shut down my notebook and switched it on a little later it came up with a blue screen with a Stop 0x50 in Win32k.sys. I could not even boot into safe mode as Windows failed to start no matter which mode chose," wrote a user identified as "xformer" to start a now-long thread on Microsoft's support discussion forum...
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #4655 of 4661 Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
And here's the best reason to leave updates off for a PC that does nothing but record TV and serve it to the wife and family:

One of last week's security updates has bricked an unknown number of PCs running Windows 7

...Within hours of its release, however, users reported that MS14-045 had generated a Stop 0x50 error on some systems, mostly on Windows 7 PCs running the 64-bit version of the OS.
"Installation went smoothly. After rebooting everything worked fine. But when I shut down my notebook and switched it on a little later it came up with a blue screen with a Stop 0x50 in Win32k.sys. I could not even boot into safe mode as Windows failed to start no matter which mode chose," wrote a user identified as "xformer" to start a now-long thread on Microsoft's support discussion forum...
yet another reason why it makes sense to backup that HTPC too, even if your media is stored some where else. Otherwise all those encrypted recordings are toast.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN

Last edited by dbailey75; 08-18-2014 at 01:53 PM.
post #4656 of 4661 Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I had not one but TWO different Windows 7 64-bit updates corrupt the partition of my secondary 3TB WD Red HDD. Two different drives, two different updates. Still trying to rebuild the partition of one to not lose all the data contained within as there were some files that weren't backed up on the 2nd one. It should be noted that in both instances these were brand new WD Reds known for reliability and were less than 3mos old at the time of the update that resulted in a toasted registry after the very next reboot.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #4657 of 4661 Old 08-18-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
System Restore is your friend. Roll back to the restore point that Windows automatically created before installing all those updates.

My WMC box is dedicated to that task. I've not only turned off Windows Updates, I've also turned off the Update service itself (otherwise, "critical" updates will continue to slide in). I've learned over the years that what you describe is more typical than not, as a result of various updates.
Sadly, System Restore wasn't enough of a friend to resolve the problem. I tried three different restore points, including two that were prior to the Windows Updates, and it didn't help.

Gor a new CableCard today in case it was that which was acting up. Put it in, called Comcast to activate it, and it worked -- for about an hour and twenty minutes, then we went back to the same "Viewing or Listening Conflict" message.

I checked Event Viewer and all it says is that, at the specific moment the error occurred, handling of the tuner switched to "manual".

That "conflict" error in WMC has been coming up fairly reliably at one of three points in time: 4-5 minutes after rebooting and relaunching WMC (plus sliding the CableCard out and back in its slot); or about 20 minutes after; or about 1 hour 20 minutes after. Today with the new CableCard it stopped again at approximately the 1:20 mark.

Two questions:

1) Could it be the Ceton tuner that's acting up, and not the CableCard and not Windows? (Although it would be one heck of a coincidence that this started just when I installed Windows and Norton updates.)

2) If I reinstall Windows from scratch, will I lose access to the protected recordings? Presumably in order to keep the recordings at all, I'd have to copy them off the internal hard drive, then copy them back to the internal drive after the fresh Windows installation. (I did see Ken.F's reply, but want to make sure that what he said also applies to Windows reinstalls.)

Wife has started to talk about WMC in the past tense: "It was a nice experiment with its own advantages over a DVR, especially that talking double-time fast-forward, but..."
post #4658 of 4661 Old 08-19-2014, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
If I reinstall Windows from scratch, will I lose access to the protected recordings?
You probably won't be able to play your protected recordings after reinstalling Windows.
post #4659 of 4661 Old 08-19-2014, 08:47 AM

Exclamation

Thanks for that info, good to know if it comes to that.

Good news, though: I changed a couple of settings in the Norton firewall according to these instructions. Everything was still working last night well after that 1:20 mark, and I left it playing a cable channel overnight (with the TV set off). Still working this morning!

I had no reason to suspect anything having to do with the firewall, as I'd always used Norton on this PC and never had a firewall-related problem. But I was running out of options other than reinstalling Windows. (The other option was, I was about to open a ticket with Ceton to see if the tuner had gone bad.)

Then I thought, Saturday's Norton update involved installing a new version of Norton Internet Security, and it occurred to me that in their infinite wisdom they might have changed some setting along with the new version of the software.

Not sure what the old firewall setting might have been, but I changed the Ceton tuner from "full trust" to "shared" (as Ceton recommends) and that seems to have done the trick. So far, so good.

Man, a WMC system is so complicated. So many things that could go wrong. Definitely not for the impatient or the convenience-minded, but well worth it if you're willing to take it on.
post #4660 of 4661 Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks for that info, good to know if it comes to that.

Good news, though: I changed a couple of settings in the Norton firewall according to these instructions. Everything was still working last night well after that 1:20 mark, and I left it playing a cable channel overnight (with the TV set off). Still working this morning!

I had no reason to suspect anything having to do with the firewall, as I'd always used Norton on this PC and never had a firewall-related problem. But I was running out of options other than reinstalling Windows. (The other option was, I was about to open a ticket with Ceton to see if the tuner had gone bad.)

Then I thought, Saturday's Norton update involved installing a new version of Norton Internet Security, and it occurred to me that in their infinite wisdom they might have changed some setting along with the new version of the software.

Not sure what the old firewall setting might have been, but I changed the Ceton tuner from "full trust" to "shared" (as Ceton recommends) and that seems to have done the trick. So far, so good.

Man, a WMC system is so complicated. So many things that could go wrong. Definitely not for the impatient or the convenience-minded, but well worth it if you're willing to take it on.
There are a couple of no-no's for Tuner-HDPC's according to some including Assassin and Ceton: One Anti-virus system only and preferable MSE, no doubling up on that. Second, keep the install/use of other programs to a minimum. Do not use as web surfer above all. I recently did a complete Win7 reinstall, however, and lost no recorded material. Last year lost an MB and kept most but not all recorded material. Will depend on how much protected premium TV content you recorded. Mine was just regular channels, so no big deal apparently.
post #4661 of 4661 Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
There are a couple of no-no's for Tuner-HDPC's according to some including Assassin and Ceton: One Anti-virus system only and preferable MSE, no doubling up on that. Second, keep the install/use of other programs to a minimum. Do not use as web surfer above all. I recently did a complete Win7 reinstall, however, and lost no recorded material. Last year lost an MB and kept most but not all recorded material. Will depend on how much protected premium TV content you recorded. Mine was just regular channels, so no big deal apparently.
Thanks!

We do do most of that list, except for Norton instead of MSE, and using Internet Explorer to visit Hulu/Netflix or network sites for the occasional show streaming. (We just got into "Extant" and have been streaming from the CBS website.)

I'm especially glad to learn that you got to do a complete Windows reinstall withoug losing recorded material. It's reassuring to know that we can always resort to that when all else fails and not necessarily lose the protected programs we've stored up. (We don't have a lot of them, mainly some movies, but it would still be disappointing to lose them.)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page