Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 157 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #4681 of 4695 Old 09-28-2014, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post
I just moved to a new city, and my computer has been boxed up for over a month. I recently went to setup WMC for the new zipcode, and am currently unable to download new guide data.
I couldn't use my local zip-code either when I set up WMC. I ended up using a zip-code close to the main office where my cable originates (a couple towns over). No problems since!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4695 Old 10-02-2014, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When it comes to audio, is there a way to "normalize" the audio?
My local FOX channel increases the volume a lot during commercials. Mostly the local car ads and short upcoming news spot. I would like it to try to keep it close to the same level.
If it isn't possible, I will have to contact them and complain.

Thanks.

Panasonic 50" Plasma 3D Smart TV

Panasonic Blu-Ray 3D Smart Player

Built HTPC/Gaming PC (i7 860, SSD, GTX 660 Ti+), Xbox 360, Wii, N64, NES

Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

post #4683 of 4695 Old 10-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by moej View Post
When it comes to audio, is there a way to "normalize" the audio?
My local FOX channel increases the volume a lot during commercials. Mostly the local car ads and short upcoming news spot. I would like it to try to keep it close to the same level.
If it isn't possible, I will have to contact them and complain.

Thanks.

Sort of. If you're using an AVR, you may have a feature called dynamic volume or something similar that may help. If you are decoding with your PC, your sound card may have a feature to help, as discussed here:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/....php?f=5&t=699

More details: commercial producers frequently apply a sound processing technique called peak limiting. This effectively cuts off the peak spikes in the sound waves down to much lower levels, allowing the overall volume to be increased at the expense of dynamic range to make the audio louder. In extreme cases, this can make the audio sound distorted because the peaks get clipped. Here is the problem: there is not an easy way to decrease the volume of the commercials without squashing the dynamic range of the featured content as well. If your content is not copy once restricted, your best bet may be to DVR it and strip out the commercials.

Your sound system, listening environment and personal preference are also factors. If you like a dynamic theatre like experience, this sort of setting is not optimal, but if you have background noise, squashing the sound might make dialog easier to understand as well as reduce the impact of the commercials.
post #4684 of 4695 Old 10-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just recently started to have issues with WMC restarting on its own. I am not sure what is causing it but possibly something got corrupted. I have done the sfc /scannow but that did not find any errors. Currently doing a volume check on my 2nd HD drive that I use for recordings.

Has anyone seen this error before and what could possibly cause it?
post #4685 of 4695 Old 10-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post
I just recently started to have issues with WMC restarting on its own. I am not sure what is causing it but possibly something got corrupted. I have done the sfc /scannow but that did not find any errors. Currently doing a volume check on my 2nd HD drive that I use for recordings.

Has anyone seen this error before and what could possibly cause it?
Can you clarify what you mean by "restarting"? Do you close out of it, back to the desktop and then it opens itself again or something else? Also how do you have it set up. Does it open from the PC start up or from the desktop with you opening manually?
post #4686 of 4695 Old 10-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by "restarting"? Do you close out of it, back to the desktop and then it opens itself again or something else? Also how do you have it set up. Does it open from the PC start up or from the desktop with you opening manually?

Here is the scenario: While watching a recorded show WMC will just stop, display an error prompt stating "Windows Media Center needs to restart" and restart on its own. In my setup I have WMC start at bootup and it starts up fine. I just noticed this today when watching recorded shows today. I had not seen this before when doing the same or watching LiveTV. Not sure what has caused this but maybe the volume scan will show an error or something.
post #4687 of 4695 Old 10-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 284
+
Quote:
Here is the scenario: While watching a recorded show WMC will just stop, display an error prompt stating "Windows Media Center needs to restart" and restart on its own. In my setup I have WMC start at bootup and it starts up fine. I just noticed this today when watching recorded shows today. I had not seen this before when doing the same or watching LiveTV. Not sure what has caused this but maybe the volume scan will show an error or something.
Might be a silly question, but what was the show and what was the source of your recording? It SOUNDS like either a corrupt file or a copy-protection issue. That's assuming it's not a drive failing.

I had this happen every time I tried to play a show through my network that had its CCI bit set to "copy once" ..a typical problem with Time Warner and Bright House cable systems.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4688 of 4695 Old 10-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

I have TWC so pretty much every single show I record is copy once. The shows were recorded from 2 different stations (Gotham (Fox) and Arrow (CW)). I am currently verifying the drive I use to record as my boot drive came out clean. I have one drive for my OS (ssd) and another drive for just recording. Hopefully the drive isn't failing but I will try some other recordings and see how things go. I do have a spare drive just in case this one is failing. I have had stutttering playback from my WMC extenders while watching recordings but when this is first time it is actually causing an error to where WMC restarts itself.

Thanks for the info and I will update once my drive scan completes.
post #4689 of 4695 Old 10-18-2014, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, that's clearer. I have had some anamolies, but not that one so cannot help directly. You might try running the DCA again and I think there is also a way to reload the WMC files, though I cannot provide specifics. Best of luck. This stuff is frustrating for sure so I feel your pain.
post #4690 of 4695 Old 10-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

I re-ran DCA and got a failure: "Something very bad happened while attempted to run the tests. Please re-run the Digital Cable Advisor and run WinSAT outside of WMC is this error continues"

I have tried to re-run DCA a couple of times and continue to get this error. I am also using HDHomerun prime as my source for digital tuners.
post #4691 of 4695 Old 10-18-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

I am thinking this could be a driver issue. I also recently update to AMD Catalyst 14.9 a couple of days ago. I was previously on 14.4 and did not have any issues. I am going to revert back and see how things go.
post #4692 of 4695 Old 10-18-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am thinking this could be a driver issue. I also recently update to AMD Catalyst 14.9 a couple of days ago. I was previously on 14.4 and did not have any issues. I am going to revert back and see how things go.

That's a good place to start. You could also consider a reinstall of the Homerun software and redo the entire set up. I have Ceton Inf6 but the principle is probably the same.
post #4693 of 4695 Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

I have played the same recorded shows now that I re-installed catalyst 14.4 and they seem to be playing fine. If the issue pops up I will re-install the HDHomerun software again.
post #4694 of 4695 Old 10-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Good news! Happy for you.
post #4695 of 4695 Old 10-20-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
With AMD I've learned the hard way to find a working driver and stick with it no matter what. More often than not, subsequent versions break more than they fix.
AzDragonLord likes this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page