Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #451 of 4662 Old 06-07-2010, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
OK, i fixed my HTPC. Kinda. The latest MS update partially crippled Media Center Studio. You can add themes or entry points like before, but you can`t disable menu strips (like Sports for ex) or move menu strips around . Doing so results even in crashes (like the ones i had).

Discussion here : http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/comm...updates-4.html

Hopefully the creator of MCS are working on a fix, menawhile you can you can use MCMenu Strip : http://mikinhosoft.blogspot.com/2009...nu-strips.html to remove unwanted entries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4662 Old 06-08-2010, 04:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

PQ wise from what i have seen they look the same, colors are vibrant and details are very good in both of them. If you want, i can do a side by side comparison like i did with WMP vs MPC-HC.

But first i have to fix my god damn HTPC. Worked like a charm 3 months without a hitch, now i get the MS update that screwed up my menu order (and still can`t get it back), then Media browser starts to act funny (freezes). Combined with the various codecs i installed/unisntalled from testing for the guide, it`s cleary dying and in need of a reformat (too bad i stopped backing up the OS drive 2 months ago )

Luckily it only takes an hour or so including OS instalation.

FYI - I just had to do a clean reinstall of W7 on my HTPC as well on Sunday, sounds like we both ran into the same issues!

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #453 of 4662 Old 06-08-2010, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post

TMT resume does not appear to work at all from inside Win7MC, and I had absolutely no success in launching the standalone TMT from Media Browser.

I just tired it inside of Win7MC just now you can get it to work almost the same as using it outside of it how I tested the 1st time. I am also having trouble launching TMT from MB it works under Movies inside of Win7MC

Once you start the movie right click on the screen go to setup and make sure under General - Play From: Resume from the last stopped point is selected instead of Play from beginning.

Quote:

I'm ripping a Blu-Ray to file/folder and to MKV right now for testing. Once done, does that integrate seamlessly into Media Browser for direct playback of the movie? You references to Folder > Open Disc Folder and File > Open Directory above have me a bit concerned.

I'm not sure how MB works yet I was testing everything outside of Win7MC. That path was playing movies when you open up TMT yourself.

ISO: should support direct play for main title it works on mine. What's going on with yours did you rip only the movie?

MKV: For the fastfoward, rewind and chapters this is why when using MKV you need to choose MPC-HC instead of TMT.

Don't worry about the questions GreenEyez & dbone1026 made it easy for us with there help and guides but I'm learning as well and it's best to try everything out 1st to see how everything works and then pick the way it's going to work best for you.
post #454 of 4662 Old 06-08-2010, 05:36 AM

Liked: 12
Hey guys, Thanks to the help here I got backing up my blu ray movies down. I just got Lost season 1 on blu ray. Is there an easy way to back up each episode individually? Right now I am using DVDfab passkey 7 with either Mike ebby's program or Clown_BD.
post #455 of 4662 Old 06-08-2010, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoPestoso View Post

Hey guys, Thanks to the help here I got backing up my blu ray movies down. I just got Lost season 1 on blu ray. Is there an easy way to back up each episode individually? Right now I am using DVDfab passkey 7 with either Mike ebby's program or Clown_BD.

Each episode should be its own playlist, so just rip by playlist (using either Another EAC3To GUI or Clown_BD)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #456 of 4662 Old 06-08-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@BDestroyer - I don`t think media browser supports launching the "normal" TMT3 application, only the uMCEDVD.exe (basically the 7MC integrated GUI).

@JAB - As i said, support for MKV in TMT3 is shoddy, that`s why i use MPC-HC for MKV.

@dbone1026 - And after the clean install, did Media Center Studio work normally ?

While fixing my HTPC i also tested Media Center Master. Great metadata aplication, highly recommend it and i`m going to add it to the guide.

It pulls out a more comprehensive movie description than the internal MB metadata grabber. It has an auto-scan mode which automatically scans your media libraries for any changes, it takes 1 second for it to pick up a new addition to the library and automatically starts downloading metadata. Basically you can leave it running on your HTPC in the background, a plugin-like behaviour ,And best of all, it`s free, so i recommend it over MetaBrowser which seems a rip-off with their current pricing (59$ or smth).
post #457 of 4662 Old 06-08-2010, 04:00 PM

Apparently TMT gets much love around here.
But according to this comparison
http://www.reviewmaze.com/2010/06/wi...omparison.html
PowerDVD should be the obvious choice.

Is there any non-obvious reason I should get TMT over PowerDVD?
post #458 of 4662 Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by manningtree View Post

For me, HD DVD support. After the format war ended, HD DVD prices took a swan dive. I got a whole bunch of HD movies for $2~4 - even less than the cost of regular DVDs.
post #459 of 4662 Old 06-08-2010, 06:48 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manningtree View Post

Apparently TMT gets much love around here.
But according to this comparison
http://www.reviewmaze.com/2010/06/wi...omparison.html
PowerDVD should be the obvious choice.

Does PowerDVD support Blu-ray file/folder playback and DTS-HD MA?
post #460 of 4662 Old 06-08-2010, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nope, no BR folder playback. But it comes with the MoovieLive feature, the most iritating piece of bloatware known to mankind (that cannot be disabled, ofc). Yet, the morons who made that review actually put MooovieLive as a +, lulz .
post #461 of 4662 Old 06-08-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:

[b][size="4"]Download the nr 3 link, it`s the entire package (eac3to/tsmuxer/bd2sup) so you don`t need to download them separately.
->

did you mean the 3rd link on the BD_clown link? it only says

Clown_BD, eac3to, tsMuxer Package
Download v0.76

no bd2sup? just wanted to make sure i download the correct one.

also, i'm only interested in MKV rip, the rip&compress to ISO works fine for me and a lot easier however do i still need to download BDClown?
post #462 of 4662 Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Choosing a format and player isn't easy... Can anyone shed some light on the following observed weirdnesses?

* Win7MC + MKV w Shark007 : No fast forward, no rewind, no chapters.

* Win7MC + DVD ISO : Stopping play dumps you into the MC GUI, instead of returning to Media Browser. No resume functionality at all. Media Browser's resume play command is missing.

* Win7MC + DVD TS_VIDEO : Seems to automatically resume play, as long as you haven't played an ISO in between. Media Browser's resume play command is missing.

* MPC-HC + BR ISO or folder: No video when fast forward 16x or higher. No video during rewind. Trying to skip chapters fails or causes playback to stop completely. Cannot play BR folder from Media Browser at all.

* MPC-HC + BR MKV : Fast forward limited to 4x. No rewind at all. I get slow motion instead.

* MPC-HC + DVD ISO : Can't launch from inside Media Browser.

* MPC-HC + DVD TS_VIDEO : No video when fast forward 16x or higher. No video during rewind.

* TMT + BR ISO : No resume.

* TMT and MPC-HC both seem to have very jerky fast forward and rewind compared to Win7MC DVD TS_VIDEO.

* TMT doesn't seem to support instant replay / skip backward or skip forward.

I'd love to choose a single player for both DVD and BR for UI consistency. General conclusions...

* ISOs suck as a playback format.

* TMT is the only player that doesn't appear to have some weird limitation as a single solution, but the switch from MC to TMT is fairly intrusive from a UI perspective and there's no instant replay. I'd use BR file/folders and DVD TS_VIDEO.

* MPC-HC would be a good solution, except for weird limitations on fast forward and rewind. I'd use MKV and DVD TS_VIDEO.

* Win7MC would be a good solution, except for chapter, FF and REW issues with MKV and resume issues with DVD TS_VIDEO. Plus, I seem to recall that you can't get DXVA with MKVs in Win7MC under certain circumstances.

Tough decisions.
post #463 of 4662 Old 06-08-2010, 09:54 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post

did you mean the 3rd link on the BD_clown link? it only says

Clown_BD, eac3to, tsMuxer Package
Download v0.76

no bd2sup? just wanted to make sure i download the correct one.

also, i'm only interested in MKV rip, the rip&compress to ISO works fine for me and a lot easier however do i still need to download BDClown?

The third link, this link, is the correct one. You do not need Clown BD for Auto Rip N Compress.
post #464 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

here is how I "handle" that moovie live crap....

1. When you install PDVD....dont let Movie live install. You just say skip on the moovie live install.

Alas, it still installs some moovie live stuff.

2. Don't register for moovie live.

3. Disable auto logon [or something similar] in the PDVD preferences

4. [here is the main thing] ....in windows firewall [or whatever firewall you use] create a block entry for powerdvd executables. This will prevent PDVD from accessing the internet.

5. [if you still use the standalone PDVDapp, not the PDVDcinema WMC plugin] Install a PDVD theme which does not display the moovielive stuff on the startup screen

Viola! no more moovie live.

I do this and it never bothers me.

Quote:

Nope, no BR folder playback. But it comes with the MoovieLive feature, the most iritating piece of bloatware known to mankind (that cannot be disabled, ofc). Yet, the morons who made that review actually put MooovieLive as a +, lulz .

-Rajiv
post #465 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 06:13 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Rajdude, good suggestions. If PowerDVD supported Blu-ray file/folder and DTS-HD MA, I'd give it a shot.
post #466 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd love to choose a single player for both DVD and BR for UI consistency. General conclusions...

* ISOs suck as a playback format.

I beg to differ.....

I love WMC for DVD playback. It has the best features :

1. Ability to stretch 4:3 video to 16:9 [only the sides are stretched] using the 10ft interface.
2. double speed play! Awesome for crappy movies....whhich you still have to watch.
3. Smoothest GUI..........very slick! press info and you will see what I am talking about.
4. Direct buttons for many features like CC, aspect, etc.

I love PDVD for ISOs of blu-rays. But I use PDVD cinema....not the standalone one. With the exception of "pressing the info button causing double menu".......everything works fine........including resume. They fixed proper resume in PDVD10.

Also.......IMHO ...ISOs are the best for BD playback since there is no possibility of any PQ degradation / loss. Also, nothing gets deleted from the original disk. I may be the only one who watches/wants to keep those extras? But then I am a purist. Disk space is cheap.
I value my time.....right click on the AnyDVD ocon and choosing rip to ISO is way simpler than the rip to folder stuff.
Well, maybe I should take that back.........because AnyDVD also has to option to rip to folder in a single click. I never tried that.

The delay in ISO playback is the main issue.
That is not a fault of WMC, or Mediabrowser or PDVD / TMT.

Two things contribute to this....
1. The ISO mounters are slow in mounting.
2. [the main thing] AnyDVD HD takes a few seconds to "read" the BD and make it available.

Here is what I have not tried.
While making an ISO using AnyDVD ripper..........there is an option to NOT to keep the encryption. The purist in me wants me to always keep that checked.

Gotta try that option.......[uncheck that box]...Maybe that will speed up the ISO playback?

-Rajiv
post #467 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rajdude, good suggestions. If PowerDVD supported Blu-ray file/folder and DTS-HD MA, I'd give it a shot.

I dont have a DTS-HD capable reciever/pre-pro [yet]......so I have not tested it.........but people have reported that it does stream DTS-HD over HDMI.

Or do you want PDVD to decode DTS-HD and output analog?

-Rajiv
post #468 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 06:47 AM

Here's some background before I get into my question:

I currently have an older receiver that does not support HDMI/DTS HD/True HD so my HTPC is connected to the TV via DVI/HDMI and Digital Coax to my AV receiver.

I'm ripping the MKVs with AnotherEACtoGUI with the HD Audio + Core Track option. That way when I upgrade the AV Receiver my MKVs will already have HD Audio in them.

When playing MKVs through TMT they work fine. DTS/DD pass through to the receiver works great.

However if I try to play the MKV with MPC I get no audio in any files with DTS tracks. DD seems to work okay though.

Anyone know what settings/filters I'm missing to get audio working properly in MPC?

Thanks for all the great information you guys post!

Doug
post #469 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude View Post

Also.......IMHO ...ISOs are the best for BD playback since there is no possibility of any PQ degradation / loss. Also, nothing gets deleted from the original disk. I may be the only one who watches/wants to keep those extras? But then I am a purist. Disk space is cheap.
I value my time.....right click on the AnyDVD ocon and choosing rip to ISO is way simpler than the rip to folder stuff.
Well, maybe I should take that back.........because AnyDVD also has to option to rip to folder in a single click. I never tried that.

While making an ISO using AnyDVD ripper..........there is an option to NOT to keep the encryption. The purist in me wants me to always keep that checked.

Gotta try that option.......[uncheck that box]...Maybe that will speed up the ISO playback?

There no difference between ISO/BD Folder/MKV , the movie is not getting re-encoded so it's up to the user what they want (these programs are just demuxing the files and then they remux them back to keep only what you wanted).

HDD space is cheap but I and just about everyone else has no use for the extras (trailers) and whatever else is on the disk that can eat up 10GB a disc plus who want's to skip and wait to go through all that junk. Why bother keeping all that when you have a hard copy of the disc anyways. When you need to watch them you can just play back you BD Disc or just rip the extras that your going to watch more often.

AnyDVD rip to folder is what I been using for the last few months since I wasn't sure how I wanted to keep my movies on my HDDs. Once I clean up all the extras that are in all the movie folders I should be able to clear up 2-3TB of extra storage.

Yes that will speed up the ISO being played back since AnyDVD does not have to run.
post #470 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 07:45 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I dont have a DTS-HD capable reciever/pre-pro [yet]......so I have not tested it.........but people have reported that it does stream DTS-HD over HDMI.

Or do you want PDVD to decode DTS-HD and output analog?

I want to stream it. The PowerDVD feature comparison chart says that they only support DTS-HD in 5.1. I guess it makes sense that they are referring to decoding there and not streaming. I'll give it a try when I have everything hooked up.

That still leaves me with the BR ISO issue...

Quote:

I value my time.....right click on the AnyDVD ocon and choosing rip to ISO is way simpler than the rip to folder stuff. Well, maybe I should take that back.........because AnyDVD also has to option to rip to folder in a single click. I never tried that.

Well, part of the issue is that I want the notices, advertisements and menus to go away. I just want the main feature. Not for space reasons, but because I want playback to begin immediately with the main feature. One click. I value my time.

Quote:

The delay in ISO playback is the main issue.

Well, that and the inability to go directly to the main title in certain cases.

Quote:

Two things contribute to this....
1. The ISO mounters are slow in mounting.
2. [the main thing] AnyDVD HD takes a few seconds to "read" the BD and make it available.

Yes, it does. I've done that. It isn't fast enough.
post #471 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@JAB -
Quote:

* MPC-HC + BR MKV : Fast forward limited to 4x. No rewind at all. I get slow motion instead.

Use the jump forward function in MPC-HC instead of the ff/rw . Map your remote keys in the keys tab, jump forward large -> media_forward / jump backwards large -> media_rewind.

This way, when you press the ff/rw buttons it jumps 1 minute ahead/backwards each time. You can customize the time it jumps in the Tweaks tab .

Yes, the PDVD chart refers to decoding, not bitstreaming.

@rajdude - Thanks for the tip regarding MoovieLive, i`m going to try it out.
post #472 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Yesterday media browser gave me a message to upgrade thumbnails and the diamond theme. So, I did the upgrade.

Today, when in 32 bit Win 7 media center if I click on media browser I get the message "Invalid Application" "Unable to launch Media Browser"

How do I fix this problem?
post #473 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 AM

I had the same issue as well, as to what format do i rip my blu-rays. I've tried ISO, blu-ray folder and MKV. With ISO, i didn't like skipping through the extra trailers, MKV to me was cumbersome to rip and stuttered during playback. So i think i'll go with blu-ray folders using TMT. Plays perfectly with TMT within 7MC, with HD audio, no extra trailers and with subtitles.

I have DVDFab7 and ripping to blu-ray folder was one step process. Anything i'm missing (feature wise, format) using BD_CLown?
post #474 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What did you use to playback MKV ? MPC-HC ?
post #475 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

Yesterday media browser gave me a message to upgrade thumbnails and the diamond theme. So, I did the upgrade.

Today, when in 32 bit Win 7 media center if I click on media browser I get the message "Invalid Application" "Unable to launch Media Browser"

I think it`s a bug in the latest MB. Some people have this issue. EBR released a fix for it, look here : http://community.mediabrowser.tv/per...-media-browser

Uninstall MB and install that version (one of the last posts in the thread, the post by EBR)
post #476 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

I downloaded and installed media browser 2.2.4 "cronos" and media browser is launching properly now.

Thanks for the responses.
post #477 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, so it was not the MB bug that some people had, it was just a MB update. The latest version of Diamond indeed only works on Cronos.

Guide update : Added tutorial for Media Center Master

Quote:

(Optional) Mooooarrrr Metadata with Media Center Master

Software :
-> Media Center Master (download link)

For those of you who want better metadata than the one recovered by Media Browser, like more comprehensive synopsis or studio information, Media Center Master is the solution.
This tutorial will feature setting up MCM to act like a plugin on your HTPC, automatically gathering metadata for the desired media collections.

Configuration :

Select Application -> Settings and preferences

General Tab
-> Select Minimize to tray
-> Choose a different location for actor and crew thumbnail so it won`t overwrite your existing actor pics from the IBN package. Create a random folder somewhere and select that for es.

Movies Tab
-> Deselect cast & crew thumbnails
-> Deselect "Ask for IMDB ID on unknown results"

Select "Set Scan folders"

-> Select your media folders and then click "Done"

Select application again and make sure you have selected Auto-Scan.

Now MCM will automatically scan your media folders for movies/tv shows and download the proper metadata. On large movie collections it can take some time to finish, 20-25 minutes.
Minimize the app and from now on, when you add a new movie MCM will automatically pick it up (takes 1 second or so) and download the metadata automatically, no other user interaction required.

post #478 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 11:36 AM

I've been ripping my BDs to mkv using Clown_BD and mkvmerge. Today, I have run into the first one that has audio delays reported in the eac3to log. It says the DTS MA track has a "remaining +1 ms delay that can't be fixed" and the AC3 track has a remaining -9 ms delay. So, do I enter +1 and -9 in the appropriate delay setting in mkvmerge, or do I enter the opposite(-1, +9)? Thanks.
post #479 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 12:01 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Here is a chart summarizing the current status of my search for a media format and player. I've color coded the various factors based on what I know of their status for the given format and player and based on their subjective importance to me. I apparently have some research and experimentation to do related to Win7MC, MKV, Shark007, Media Control, forced subtitles and DXVA. I appreciate any comments or suggestions.
post #480 of 4662 Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Regarding DXVA : Normally, you can`t put a filter (VobSub for ex, the subtile filter) between the DXVA decoder and renderer, or else you disable DXVA.

MPC-HC has a small "hack" (that EVR CP) that allows this, that`s why subs work, but only in MPC-HC, using the MPC-HC decoder in 7MC (sharks pack config) + subs still disables DXVA
Ffdshow DXVA can also use subs + DXVA, but from what i have tested, it`s still experimental (the DXVA decoder). I noticed shuttering and degraded PQ Try it out for yourself, maybe the latest version has improved some things.

Other than these 2 solutions, you can`t have DXVA and subs.

Media Control does enable ff/rw/chapter skip in the 7MC player.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page