Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 12:33 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, no subs with DXVA from TMT using BR file/folder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Subs work with TMT3 or PDVD and DXVA. I was refering to using the internal 7MC player for MKV playback.

Basically :

TMT (BR folder) - DXVA and subs
PDVD (BR ISO) - same
MPC-HC (MKV) - same
7MC player (MKV) - only with the ffdshow DXVA decoder, or else DXVA gets disabled
post #483 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Got it. I may go the latter route, if it seems to work OK. Otherwise, I'm leaning toward MPC-HC with MKV. Ripping my Iron Man BR now to do some testing.
post #484 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 01:02 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post

Here is a chart summarizing the current status of my search for a media format and player.

It just occurred to me that one of the critical missing items from that comparison was automatic switching to/from correct 24p playback. I've added a row to the spreadsheet. I seem to recall references to MPC-HC doing that, and I have a note to lookup additional information on Display Changer for that purpose.
post #485 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

What did you use to playback MKV ? MPC-HC ?

I used MPC-HC for MKV and it stuttered so bad. I think i also tried TMT and it did not play it. The MKV was made through AutoRipNCompress with MakeMKV from your earlier guide. I did not try clown_Bd and eac ones. I think my HTPC had too much software installed on it on it's first month of use.

Any disadvantages for ripping blu-rays on blu-ray folder structure? I'm thinking this is the best option going forward for me. All i wanted are the main movie (don't care about the extras or menus), chapter skipping and ofcourse HD audio.The only use i can think of right now regarding subtitle option is Avatar.

I'm now looking at using Ripbot to compress the blu-rays into smaller file sizes (4GB for PS3 direct playback and save on hard drive space) i know i will loose HD audio and it takes forever to finish a movie. Not sure if i want to do that yet.
post #486 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 02:04 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post

Any disadvantages for ripping blu-rays on blu-ray folder structure? I'm thinking this is the best option going forward for me.

Only that you will need to use TMT to play it. Whether that's a disadvantage depends on one's perspective on TMT and it's features and limitations.
post #487 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First, you will loose video quality, badly, at 4GB at movie you are looking at upscaled DVD quality (3000 Kbps bitrate) and AC3 audio, at best.

To get a transparent encode you need aprox. 12 to 18 GB per movie, 1080p + HD audio, even more sometimes (for ex. Saving Private Ryan needs 80% of the original bitrate, that`s 25GB, or Minority Report that takes up 20.5Gb for a transparent encode). Usually grainy movies need higher bitrates.

Personally, i`ve done encoding and it`s not worth it, the time wasted and power drawn by the PC doing that can be better invested into hardrives that are becoming cheaper and cheaper.

Regarding MPC-HC issues, do this. When you open MPC-HC and play a movie, right click on the screen -> got to Filters and select the MPC-HC decoder (it will open a small window) and post a screenshot.
post #488 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It just occurred to me that one of the critical missing items from that comparison was automatic switching to/from correct 24p playback. I've added a row to the spreadsheet. I seem to recall references to MPC-HC doing that, and I have a note to lookup additional information on Display Changer for that purpose.

Yup, MPC-HC can do that. I think it is possible with TMT3 too, using reclock, but i haven`t tried, i will look into it tomorrow (it`s late where i live and i`m too sleepy) and check back with you.

Also, what tv do you have ? If you have a model that support 72Hz for ex, you don`t need 24p switching, because the TV does 3:3 pulldown and you get smooth playback.
post #489 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Only that you will need to use TMT to play it. Whether that's a disadvantage depends on one's perspective on TMT and it's features and limitations.

MPC-HC plays back BD Folders fine the way I mentioned before. File - Open Directory - Click on BD Folder. You just loose Chapters.
post #490 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 03:18 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDestroyer8418 View Post

MPC-HC plays back BD Folders fine the way I mentioned before. File - Open Directory - Click on BD Folder. You just loose Chapters.

I couldn't get MPC-HC to launch from MB when playing BD Folders. And, for me, when I launched MPC-HC directly to play the folder, it was worse than just losing chapters. When I tried to skip forward or backward by chapter, it would either simply blank out briefly and then continue from the original playback position or stop playing video entirely. So, I've placed MPC-HC and BD Folders in the non-functional category. Maybe I had it configured incorrectly. Regardless, YMMV, depending on how you use it and tolerance for potential misbehavior.
post #491 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 03:24 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, MPC-HC can do that. I think it is possible with TMT3 too, using reclock, but i haven`t tried, i will look into it tomorrow (it`s late where i live and i`m too sleepy) and check back with you.

I've updated the spreadsheet accordingly. Thank you very much.

Quote:

Also, what tv do you have ? If you have a model that support 72Hz for ex, you don`t need 24p switching, because the TV does 3:3 pulldown and you get smooth playback.

Sony VPL-VW200. While it supports 24p, I see no references to 72 Hz, 120 Hz, 3:3 pulldown or 5:5 pulldown.

Edit: I found at least one source that says 60p material is doubled to 120 Hz and 24p material is quadrupled to 96 Hz, but that no pulldown is performed on the material. On the other hand, the user's guide says "reproduces 2-3 or 2-2 pull-down film sources with smooth picture movement". Also, to possibly complicate matters slightly, the signal will be fed through a Denon 5308, which has a Realta HQV in it, although I don't think it messes with 1080p sources.
post #492 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I couldn't get MPC-HC to launch from MB when playing BD Folders. And, for me, when I launched MPC-HC directly to play the folder, it was worse than just losing chapters. When I tried to skip forward or backward by chapter, it would either simply blank out briefly and then continue from the original playback position or stop playing video entirely. So, I've placed MPC-HC and BD Folders in the non-functional category. Maybe I had it configured incorrectly. Regardless, YMMV, depending on how you use it and tolerance for potential misbehavior.

I understand MPC HC is free, but I just don't see a reason to use it to play back DVD/BR Folder rips. Stick with MPC HC for standalone files (such as m2ts and mkv), use WMCs internal player for DVD folders and use TMT/PDVD for Blu Ray folders (I wonder if/when MS will ever add native support for BR Folders to WMC???). I think SageTV is the only front end I have come across that has native support to play back BR folders (although I think when I tested it only plays back the main menu)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #493 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:

I actually like TMT, but that's just me.
post #494 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I understand MPC HC is free, but I just don't see a reason to use it to play back DVD/BR Folder rips. Stick with MPC HC for standalone files (such as m2ts and mkv), use WMCs internal player for DVD folders and use TMT/PDVD for Blu Ray folders (I wonder if/when MS will ever add native support for BR Folders to WMC???). I think SageTV is the only front end I have come across that has native support to play back BR folders (although I think when I tested it only plays back the main menu)

I have no objection to paying for TMT. I just want a single player for all my rips so that my family has a uniform and consistent user experience. Once I've chosen the player, I'll rip my media into the required format. Or, put another way, I wouldn't use MPC-HC for BR folders either.
post #495 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post

I actually like TMT, but that's just me.

Actually, I like it too, but I'd like it better if it supported instant replay and had a more seamless and aesthetic integration with MC.
post #496 of 4641 Old 06-09-2010, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guide updates :

Added a Donation button (PayPal) at the begining of the guide for those who want to support the GUIDE with simbolic (2-5$) donations.

Upcoming guide addons (TBA - Today) :

- Useful programs tutorial with programs like RenameIt and Suction for easy media management.
- An big overhaul of the entire guide including recommended software versions part, where i will continuosly test the latest versions of the programs included in the guide to ensure stability and a few other surprises.
- The long overdue 24p playback tutorial (but i will need some help here since i only use MPC-HC for 24p playback). Going to start a thread about this and see what other AVS members have to say.
post #497 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guide updating....
post #498 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:

Guide updating....

Woot. Perfect timing. Just started my build. Hey anyone know if there's software that can scan my music library and download album art to each album folder?
post #499 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 03:47 AM

Also between 1.1 and 1.2 (using mpc-hc or 7mc internal player) which is the preferred method? I want playback to be pretty seamless, not havi ng to switch between players and see the desktop at all. And I'll be running windows 7 64 unless someone males a strong case for me to go with x86 betwen now and 6 hours from now. Running a dual core e6500. I remember reading something about some codecs not working on x64. Is that still true? Will I be able to play 24p no problem? Videocard will be ati 5450. Sorry for threadjack. Installing os when I get home from work
post #500 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 05:01 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I'd go at that from the other direction. Install 32-bit, unless someone can come up with a strong reason to go with 64-bit. For an HTPC, I can't think of one.

I think you'll find people on both sides of the MPC-HC vs MC camp. MC will be more seamless, but I haven't gotten FF, REW or chapters to work in MC with MKVs yet. My first two attempts to get Media Control working last night didn't go well.

Biggest piece of advice: Install the OS and then image the OS volume, so you can easily restore it to a pristine state when you change your mind about all the HTPC software.
post #501 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Of course, rewind doesn't work for MKV in MPC-HC either. See my chart for the the state of my experiments and quest for knowledge about the relative merits of the options.
post #502 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'd go at that from the other direction. Install 32-bit, unless someone can come up with a strong reason to go with 64-bit. For an HTPC, I can't think of one.

I completely agree. I moved from x64 Vista to x32 W7, I see no benefit of x64 for an HTPC

Cheers,
Damian

post #503 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 AM

Well I do have 2x 2gb so I'd like to utilize that... So is there any reason not to use it? If there's no performance difference for better or worse, it should be fine right? I haven't run into any issues with it on my i7 desktop in the past year.
post #504 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalCS84 View Post

Well I do have 2x 2gb so I'd like to utilize that... So is there any reason not to use it? If there's no performance difference for better or worse, it should be fine right? I haven't run into any issues with it on my i7 desktop in the past year.

With x64 you just have to be more careful if using any codecs/filters, but no reason why you can't make it work.

Cheers,
Damian

post #505 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 06:58 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Personally, I'd dump the 4 GB into the 32-bit box and live with only having access to about 3 GB of it. Still 50% better than 2 GB, and if it's free, why not?
post #506 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 09:23 AM

hello all, I have a slight delema
I've followed the guide to play m2ts in 7mc, now all has gone s--t!
dvds error out (video) so does tv I cant bitstreaming anymore!!
I've tryed to remove sharks codec and everything but the m2ts's still play in 7mc(want them to play in tmt). have changed in properties,tmt doesent show up in mc anymore??
durring this time I also updated to the new 5450 driver??
what give? any suggestions?
also my sub has lost all siginal(woofer)?
here are my specs
core duo processer
4gigs ram
hd5450
onkyo tx-sr 707
any help would be great even if i have to reformat!
thanks
PS this is also a 64b operating system
post #507 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalCS84 View Post

Also between 1.1 and 1.2 (using mpc-hc or 7mc internal player) which is the preferred method? I want playback to be pretty seamless, not havi ng to switch between players and see the desktop at all. And I'll be running windows 7 64 unless someone males a strong case for me to go with x86 betwen now and 6 hours from now. Running a dual core e6500. I remember reading something about some codecs not working on x64. Is that still true? Will I be able to play 24p no problem? Videocard will be ati 5450. Sorry for threadjack. Installing os when I get home from work

To make the process from switching from 7MC to MPC-HC put a black desktop background, select Auto-hide for the taskbar and hide the recycle bin shortcut. 7MC minimizez and MPC-HC loads up in less than a second, so it looks seamless enough to me, atleast.

The best thing you could do is to try them both out.

Btw, do you need subtitles and DXVA ?

Quote:

I think you'll find people on both sides of the MPC-HC vs MC camp. MC will be more seamless, but I haven't gotten FF, REW or chapters to work in MC with MKVs yet. My first two attempts to get Media Control working last night didn't go well.

Biggest piece of advice: Install the OS and then image the OS volume, so you can easily restore it to a pristine state when you change your mind about all the HTPC software.

You are perfectly right, i also recommend 32bit for HTPC use unless you are using your HTPC for other stuff like video encoding, games etc.

Regarding MediaControl, what happend?

Quote:

Sony VPL-VW200. While it supports 24p, I see no references to 72 Hz, 120 Hz, 3:3 pulldown or 5:5 pulldown.

Edit: I found at least one source that says 60p material is doubled to 120 Hz and 24p material is quadrupled to 96 Hz, but that no pulldown is performed on the material. On the other hand, the user's guide says "reproduces 2-3 or 2-2 pull-down film sources with smooth picture movement". Also, to possibly complicate matters slightly, the signal will be fed through a Denon 5308, which has a Realta HQV in it, although I don't think it messes with 1080p sources.

Well try out a couple of BRs to see if the image is smooth. If so, you don`t need 24p. I`m going to check the specs of your projector and see if i find anything, after i finish updating the guide.
post #508 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satelight7430 View Post

hello all, I have a slight delema
I've followed the guide to play m2ts in 7mc, now all has gone s--t!
dvds error out (video) so does tv I cant bitstreaming anymore!!
I've tryed to remove sharks codec and everything but the m2ts's still play in 7mc(want them to play in tmt). have changed in properties,tmt doesent show up in mc anymore??
durring this time I also updated to the new 5450 driver??
what give? any suggestions?
also my sub has lost all siginal(woofer)?
here are my specs
core duo processer
4gigs ram
hd5450
onkyo tx-sr 707
any help would be great even if i have to reformat!
thanks
PS this is also a 64b operating system

Ok, i don`t understand. Do you want to use TMT3 to playback m2ts files or the internal 7MC player ?
post #509 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 AM

I started out using tmt and then read your post and thought "what a great Idea!"
then put it to test and lost it from there.then tryed to revert and still no soap.
I'm not sure where to go go from here??
should I start from scratch?? or is it salvagable?
what I'm trying to do is get back to a working situation.
shark uninstalled but seems to still be there?
its allmost like vid cards giving me problems??(audio&video)and I'm looking for advice.
thanks ether way.
post #510 of 4641 Old 06-10-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satelight7430 View Post

I started out using tmt and then read your post and thought "what a great Idea!"
then put it to test and lost it from there.then tryed to revert and still no soap.
I'm not sure where to go go from here??
should I start from scratch?? or is it salvagable?
what I'm trying to do is get back to a working situation.
shark uninstalled but seems to still be there?
its allmost like vid cards giving me problems??(audio&video)and I'm looking for advice.
thanks ether way.

I would recommend you do a clean install of W7 and take it from there. Avoid any codec packs if possible. WHat type of files are you looking to play back? If you have standalone files such as m2ts or mkv I would recommend using MPC HC + FFDShow launching from WMC.

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page