Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 4660 Old 06-21-2010, 01:11 AM
Newbie
 
Old_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Echibon mahalos for the solid good info!!

Aloha!
Old_Blue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 4660 Old 06-21-2010, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GreenEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
dbone, how did you rip your Blu Rays with PGS subs besides MakeMKV ? I demuxed a BR folder i had with TS Muxer, got the H264/DTS-HD streams and the sub files, but it seems mkvmerge (4.0, the one that should have PGS sub support) isn`t picking up the sub files, i can`t see them when browsing the folder with the demuxed files.
GreenEyez is offline  
post #633 of 4660 Old 06-21-2010, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GreenEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
News announcement : Media Browser 2.2.5 has come out : It includes the new API + some performance and bug fixes

Download : http://www.mediabrowser.tv/download
GreenEyez is offline  
post #634 of 4660 Old 06-21-2010, 04:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

dbone, how did you rip your Blu Rays with PGS subs besides MakeMKV ? I demuxed a BR folder i had with TS Muxer, got the H264/DTS-HD streams and the sub files, but it seems mkvmerge (4.0, the one that should have PGS sub support) isn`t picking up the sub files, i can`t see them when browsing the folder with the demuxed files.

Which MKVMerge did you grab, you need to grab the latest from here:

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-272-setup.exe

The 4.0 build that I think is available through VideoHelp might not be the latest

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #635 of 4660 Old 06-21-2010, 05:33 AM
Member
 
ashman5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Decatur, AL
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
GreenEyez/dbone, what are the limitations to using the internal player? Using Shark007 we can get bitstreaming, dxva and PGS subs. How bout chapters? I'd really like to use it instead of MPC-HC. Now that things in the codec world seem to be stablizing, any chance on putting together a guide for setting up the internal player without using Shark007?
ashman5 is offline  
post #636 of 4660 Old 06-21-2010, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman5 View Post

GreenEyez/dbone, what are the limitations to using the internal player? Using Shark007 we can get bitstreaming, dxva and PGS subs. How bout chapters? I'd really like to use it instead of MPC-HC. Now that things in the codec world seem to be stablizing, any chance on putting together a guide for setting up the internal player without using Shark007?

I honestly have not revisited using the internal player in a while. I found it way too unstable to get bitstreaming working and I didn't like the fact that you have to hack things up a little. Somehow killing MF messed up my LiveTV in WMC. MPC HC has been the most stable solution for bitstreaming and doesn't require any sort of codec pack.

Now that being said, I am not knocking using the internal player as I can definitely see the advantage, and maybe things have leveled off since the codecs have matured some. I may have to revisit at some point to see how things have evolved.

Hopefully GreenEyez or others who may be using the internal player can chime in.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #637 of 4660 Old 06-21-2010, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GreenEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Chapter skipping (frw/back) is supported in the 7MC player + The Shark007 Pack combination from what i can remember.
DXVA and subs depend on your decoder. Only ffdshow DXVA supports subs + DXVA simulaniosly (thanks to a similar internal "hack" to the one in MPC-HC that bypasses the DXVA limitation). Last time i tested it i got shuttering issues with ffdshow DXVA and Haali, but it seems dbone had the same issue and it`s a general bug.

Anyway, i hope i have time tonight to review ffdshow DXVA (using the MPC splitter like dbone said) and if all issues are gone this way (using MPC splitter) i`ll modify the Section 1.2 of the guide, maybe even get rid of the Shark Pack.

Bitstreaming works OTB with the Shark Pack , but i don`t know if it works out of the box with just ffdshow installed manualy. I`ll also test this for the Section 1.2 re-editing of the guide.
GreenEyez is offline  
post #638 of 4660 Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GreenEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Which MKVMerge did you grab, you need to grab the latest from here:

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-272-setup.exe

The 4.0 build that I think is available through VideoHelp might not be the latest

Thanks, i had an older build of 4.0 (the one from the direct download page), works like a charm now. Unfortunately resizing the text doesn`t work with PGS subs in MPC-HC, i`m going to add a request on their forums.
GreenEyez is offline  
post #639 of 4660 Old 06-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Member
 
CynicalCS84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So what does everyone use for streaming online content? Secondruntv is just garbage. Almost everything shows up with missing posters and channel icons. And I haven't clicked on a single show yet that didn't either bring me to the content website within 7mc and the video not work properly, or give me an error "unable to load that feed"

Boxee is trying too hard to be an all around solution like 7mc itself so it's just redundant.

My zinc launcher has stopped working, and my hulu won't launch in full screen anymore... Launches in windowed mode inside 7mc and looks absolutely retarded.

Also, i've followed your guide exactly and I can't get any subtitles to show up on anything in 7mc.I thought I set it up like you said so it would use mpc-hc but it doesnt seem to be switching to that for playback...

and tunerfree doesnt seem to stream anything thats available to watch in the us. >_<<br />
This htpc is just getting more and more useless.
CynicalCS84 is offline  
post #640 of 4660 Old 06-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Member
 
braddles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
GreenEyez, Great guide, and excellent work...if only you were around last year when I spent about a month getting my HTPC up and running, but I did get great help from dbone (cheers).
I have 2 quick questions, I have been using the MPC /FFdshow method for 10-12 months now and am very happy with it but decided to give your shark007 method a go the other day (what can I say I was bored...)
The reason I would like to use it is the resume function in MB is my absolute fave, and I have found the "remember file position" in MPC means when I have finished a m2ts movie, it remembers the end of the movie and tries and fails to start from there, you just end up with a blank screen.
Anyway after setting a restore point I wiped MPC, FFdshow and Haali from my system and then tried the Shark007 with your configs (I did set input as 5.1) and found audio stuttering and switching btw stereo and HD audio, when playing DTS-HD MA - which was fixed by setting audio as "same as input" (heads up for anyone who gets that problem). But then my m2ts files played and bitstreamed fine but I lost video (but not audio) of avi, divx and mkv file playback...I suspect it may have been due to MF being disabled by Win7DS filter?
Anyway just reverted back to my previous setting, and all is good just wanted your opinion on the possible problem?
Also your concave theme looks great, any chance of advising how you got that going? I have been using the Maelstrom theme, but you know we all get bored and need a change
Finally, thanks for the heads up on the PGS compatability with the new MPC, will try that when I get home (may finally get subs with Avatar rip).
Thanks again all and rock on HTPC's...

Less is More and sometimes More is Less
braddles69 is offline  
post #641 of 4660 Old 06-21-2010, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddles69 View Post

GreenEyez, Great guide, and excellent work...if only you were around last year when I spent about a month getting my HTPC up and running, but I did get great help from dbone (cheers).
I have 2 quick questions, I have been using the MPC /FFdshow method for 10-12 months now and am very happy with it but decided to give your shark007 method a go the other day (what can I say I was bored...)
The reason I would like to use it is the resume function in MB is my absolute fave, and I have found the "remember file position" in MPC means when I have finished a m2ts movie, it remembers the end of the movie and tries and fails to start from there, you just end up with a blank screen.
Anyway after setting a restore point I wiped MPC, FFdshow and Haali from my system and then tried the Shark007 with your configs (I did set input as 5.1) and found audio stuttering and switching btw stereo and HD audio, when playing DTS-HD MA - which was fixed by setting audio as "same as input" (heads up for anyone who gets that problem). But then my m2ts files played and bitstreamed fine but I lost video (but not audio) of avi, divx and mkv file playback...I suspect it may have been due to MF being disabled by Win7DS filter?
Anyway just reverted back to my previous setting, and all is good just wanted your opinion on the possible problem?
Also your concave theme looks great, any chance of advising how you got that going? I have been using the Maelstrom theme, but you know we all get bored and need a change
Finally, thanks for the heads up on the PGS compatability with the new MPC, will try that when I get home (may finally get subs with Avatar rip).
Thanks again all and rock on HTPC's...

I am tempted to mess around with using the internal WMC player again. I just found that fixing one thing would break another. i like the idea of using just the internal player because that is just one less thing to go wrong (every once in a while I will have MPC launch and at the same time WMC internal player launch as well). MPC HC has been rock solid so tough to try elsewhere. I may have to dust off the spare HTPC I have lying around and give it a go!!!

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #642 of 4660 Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Member
 
braddles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know..., you get it right, there's only one small thing if you could fix, you would....
and then you have a couple of hours on your hands
But saying that, sys restore worked perfectly, went straight back to my config, but am tempted to try again and maybe reset win7ds to it's defaults and try that...
But also noticed the other day, played Avatar disc with PDVD10 for my brother (for the subs, since I haven't got them working in MPC), and noticed the colours still look more natural with MPC. The blue skins look like skin with tone and not a slightly over vivid feel that PDVD shows...went back to my m2ts rip for him because overall colours just had a more natural feel and hue to them!
OT but anybody noticed the new MB seems to break coverart for TV seasons and eps?

Less is More and sometimes More is Less
braddles69 is offline  
post #643 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GreenEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddles69 View Post

GreenEyez, Great guide, and excellent work...if only you were around last year when I spent about a month getting my HTPC up and running, but I did get great help from dbone (cheers).
I have 2 quick questions, I have been using the MPC /FFdshow method for 10-12 months now and am very happy with it but decided to give your shark007 method a go the other day (what can I say I was bored...)
The reason I would like to use it is the resume function in MB is my absolute fave, and I have found the "remember file position" in MPC means when I have finished a m2ts movie, it remembers the end of the movie and tries and fails to start from there, you just end up with a blank screen.
Anyway after setting a restore point I wiped MPC, FFdshow and Haali from my system and then tried the Shark007 with your configs (I did set input as 5.1) and found audio stuttering and switching btw stereo and HD audio, when playing DTS-HD MA - which was fixed by setting audio as "same as input" (heads up for anyone who gets that problem). But then my m2ts files played and bitstreamed fine but I lost video (but not audio) of avi, divx and mkv file playback...I suspect it may have been due to MF being disabled by Win7DS filter?
Anyway just reverted back to my previous setting, and all is good just wanted your opinion on the possible problem?
Also your concave theme looks great, any chance of advising how you got that going? I have been using the Maelstrom theme, but you know we all get bored and need a change
Finally, thanks for the heads up on the PGS compatability with the new MPC, will try that when I get home (may finally get subs with Avatar rip).
Thanks again all and rock on HTPC's...

Win7DS filter only disables Media Foundation if you tell it to. Don`t use the Win7DS filter in combination with the Shark Pack which automatically sets the filters used by 7MC and WMP12 so you don`t need to tweak around anything else.

Regarding the background, you can get it from here : http://community.mediabrowser.tv/per...-ehs-backdrops

Put the desired background as "backdrop.jpg/png" in the Startup folder (C:\\ProgramData\\MediaBrowser\\StartupFolder)
GreenEyez is offline  
post #644 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GreenEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalCS84 View Post

So what does everyone use for streaming online content? Secondruntv is just garbage. Almost everything shows up with missing posters and channel icons. And I haven't clicked on a single show yet that didn't either bring me to the content website within 7mc and the video not work properly, or give me an error "unable to load that feed"

Boxee is trying too hard to be an all around solution like 7mc itself so it's just redundant.

My zinc launcher has stopped working, and my hulu won't launch in full screen anymore... Launches in windowed mode inside 7mc and looks absolutely retarded.

Also, i've followed your guide exactly and I can't get any subtitles to show up on anything in 7mc.I thought I set it up like you said so it would use mpc-hc but it doesnt seem to be switching to that for playback...

and tunerfree doesnt seem to stream anything thats available to watch in the us. >_<<br />
This htpc is just getting more and more useless.

The Internet TV function in 7MC provides american channels like CBS, there is also the Netflix integration for streaming.
Hulu can be launched easy from 7MC using Hulu Desktop Integration : http://huluwmc.teknowebworks.com/ in combination with the Hulu desktop app.

Regarding MPC-HC, have you asociated MPC-HC with the desired file types in the Media browser configurator ?
GreenEyez is offline  
post #645 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Senior Member
 
rexb610's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I am tempted to mess around with using the internal WMC player again. I just found that fixing one thing would break another.

ha! i did that one day..tried internal 7MC with Sharks for seamless transition. not a good experience. some mts files played but not bitstreamed and some with audio but no video, not sure if it something to do with MPC-HC/ffdshow set-up conflict? almost went crazy since i was doing fine with MPC-HC, good thing the system restore on W7 worked great.
rexb610 is offline  
post #646 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post

ha! i did that one day..tried internal 7MC with Sharks for seamless transition. not a good experience. some mts files played but not bitstreamed and some with audio but no video, not sure if it something to do with MPC-HC/ffdshow set-up conflict? almost went crazy since i was doing fine with MPC-HC, good thing the system restore on W7 worked great.

The audio/no video setup sounds like you were playing a VC-1 m2ts file. Media Foundation does not support VC-1 m2ts, so you need to shut off Media Foundation and use Haali or Gabest. I just found the setup way too unreliable and something where it seemed like any little thing could break it. It would be nice if the Media Browser developers give more flexibility in choosing when to launch a 3rd party player as I only need MPC launched for my Blu Ray mkvs, all other mkvs can stay with the internal player. I suggested this on the Media Browser site (XBMC has a nice setup to do this) but it appears it has not gained much traction:

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/per...aunching#10921

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #647 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Senior Member
 
tehowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used some old and new parts to build a light gaming/HTPC. For now, I don't need advanced codec/wrapper support. I just want to use MediaCenter to watch/record TV, play DVDs (MediaBrowser) and Blu-Rays (MediaBrowser/TMT3). I do hope to bitstream HD audio codecs to my receiver. But I can't get audio drivers right. I've kept things pretty basic...

HARDWARE:

Antec Fusion Remote Max Case + iMON,
Thermaltake 850W P/S,
ASUS P5Q-E Motherboard (BIOS 2001),
Intel E6600 CPU @3.2 GHz,
Zalman CNPS9700 CPU Cooler,
Patriot 4GB DDR2-1066 Memory Kit,
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD5750 1GB Video Card,
2 x WD 75 GB SATA HD in RAID0 (C: SYSTEM),
1 x WD 500 GB SATA HD (D: MEDIA, Pictures/Video),
1 x WD 500 GB SATA HD (E: PVR, RecordedTV),
Pioneer BDR-202K Blu-ray drive,
2 x Hauppauge HVR-2250 Dual Channel TV/Cable Tuners,
Note: One for analog cable - decent PQ
Note: One for ATSC OTA (antenna) - excellent PQ
Note: Watch/Record 4 channels simultaneously (2 cable + 2 OTA)
-----
Onkyo TX-SR705 (HDMI),
Sony KDS-60A3000 (HDMI),
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote,
-----
External fan controller (CPU),

SOFTWARE:

1. Windows 7 64-bit
Note: "Custom Install", "Recommended Settings", "Home Network"
Note: Install all Windows Updates (minus "Windows Live Essentials")
2. ATI Catalyst 10.6 Components for Windows 7 (64-bit)
a. Install Device Driver Pkg
b. reboot
c. Install CCC
3. Hauppauge WinTV-HVR2250 Driver 27323
Note: Windows Update installed an older driver.
4. Adobe Flash Player
*5. Realtek ATI HDMI Audio Device R2.39
Note: A restart is required
6. Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound -> Manage Audio Devices
Note: Configure HDMI Audio Device for 5.1 Speakers and "Test" to verify setup
Note: Receiver is set to not pass HDMI in to HDMI out/monitor (menu item). Otherwise, no 5.1 option (TV EDID).
7. iMON Manager 7.85.0222
Note: iMedianHD not needed (7MC)
Note: A restart is required.
Note: After installation, check if any updated are available. Close iMon manager (task tray) and select "Run as Administrator"
Note: If available, a new version will be installed.
Note: Setup iMON Mgr to Automatically download updates
Note: Setup iMON Mgr to "Don't Show iR signal indicator on desktop"
Note: Setup iMON Mgr to "No sound effect for detected iR signals"
8. Start Media Center and run Media Center Setup. Then run "Live TV Setup"
Tuner 1 = Analog Cable
Tuner 2 = Analog Cable
Tuner 3 = ATSC Antenna
Tuner 4 = ATSC Antenna
9. Set Recorded TV Directory to E:\\Recorded TV
10. Setup Media Center Libraries
a. Add D:\\DVD to Movie Library
b. Add D:\\Pictures to Picture Library
c. Add D:\\Music to Music Library
11. myChannelLogos V1.12
12. Microsoft Silverlight
13. ArcSoft Total Media Theater 3 Platinum
14. Update Total Media Theater to v180.
Note: Run TMT and look for "Patches"
15. ArcSoft SimHD TotalMedia Theatre 3 Plug In
16. MediaBrowser
Note: Copy Application.png, backdrop.png, and folder icons to "Program Files (X86)\\MediaBrowswer\\MediaBrowser\\"
Note: Copy ImagesByName folder to "ProgramData\\MediaBrowser\\" (this folder is normally hidden)
Note: Install Themes, CoverArt, MediaInfo Plug-ins
Note: De-select "Allow Internet providers"



QUESTIONS:

Eveything works with this setup including Blu-ray playback (in TMT) - minus bitstreaming of HD audio codecs. I assume this is due to installing the Realtek ATI HDMI Audio Device.
Should I not install this driver (for what I want to do)?

I tried this, thinking an HDMI Audio device with 5.1 capability would already be installed with the Catalyst driver package. But it seems if I skip step 5, I don't have access to a 5.1 speaker mode in Control Panel.
Am I missing something?

As a side note, if I install any Realtek "ATI HDMI Audio Device" higher than R2.39, I hear chirps from my receiver (esp. HD with DD sound).
Is this unique to my setup, or is this expected?

There are so many options available that I'd really like to hear some suggestions. What would you do? Thanks in advance...
tehowell is offline  
post #648 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehowell View Post


QUESTIONS:

Eveything works with this setup including Blu-ray playback (in TMT) - minus bitstreaming of HD audio codecs. I assume this is due to installing the Realtek ATI HDMI Audio Device.
Should I not install this driver (for what I want to do)?

I tried this, thinking an HDMI Audio device with 5.1 capability would already be installed with the Catalyst driver package. But it seems if I skip step 5, I don't have access to a 5.1 speaker mode in Control Panel.
Am I missing something?

As a side note, if I install any Realtek "ATI HDMI Audio Device" higher than R2.39, I hear chirps from my receiver (esp. HD with DD sound).
Is this unique to my setup, or is this expected?

There are so many options available that I'd really like to hear some suggestions. What would you do? Thanks in advance...

TMT only works with the ATI driver and not the Realtek driver

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #649 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
tehowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Assume I install Catalyst Components for W7, but not Realtek driver. Is it normal that I can't see a 5.1 option in Control Panel? After installing the Realtek driver I do. Without it, I don't. Should I proceed with only Stereo option? Thanks...
tehowell is offline  
post #650 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehowell View Post

Assume I install Catalyst Components for W7, but not Realtek driver. Is it normal that I can't see a 5.1 option in Control Panel? After installing the Realtek driver I do. Without it, I don't. Should I proceed with only Stereo option? Thanks...

Something is wrong then. I have just Catalyst installed on my HTPC (5670) and have no issues seeing the 5.1 option. If you uninstall any drivers I would use a Driver Cleaner program to make sure you get rid of all traces. Worse case I would recommend doing a clean install and take a snapshot of your O/S before you install any HDMI drivers so you can always revert back. If you install the Realtek driver first and then install Catalyst the Catalyst HDMI driver will not install (which you need for TMT)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #651 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
tehowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Damian, that's about what I was expecting. Can you showe me a screen capture of the devices that show up in your Sound properites panel?
tehowell is offline  
post #652 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehowell View Post

Thanks Damian, that's about what I was expecting. Can you showe me a screen capture of the devices that show up in your Sound properites panel?

Sorry, that is classified

See below. I just remoted in to my HTPC from work which is the reason why the ATI HDMI Output device appears as not plugged in (although it is and is the default device)


Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #653 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Senior Member
 
tehowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, thanks. I assume if you hit configure you see a 5.1 option.

Are you also running W7 64-bit?

Did you install the complete Catalyst Suite, or just the individual components (DD and CCC)?
tehowell is offline  
post #654 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehowell View Post

OK, thanks. I assume if you hit configure you see a 5.1 option.

Are you also running W7 64-bit?

Did you install the complete Catalyst Suite, or just the individual components (DD and CCC)?

Yes, configure allows me to choose the speaker setup (including 5.1). I am on W7 x32 but had tested with W7 x64 previously

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #655 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
tehowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you. What about this one?

Did you install the complete Catalyst Suite, or just the individual components (DD and CCC)?
tehowell is offline  
post #656 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehowell View Post

Thank you. What about this one?

Did you install the complete Catalyst Suite, or just the individual components (DD and CCC)?

Full suite

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #657 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GreenEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
No, clean the sistem (CCleaner and Driver Sweep are good options, or use a restore point/sistem image) and install the complete Catalyst Suite (minus the optional components like AMD Drag& Drop what-cha-ma-call-it and Free Lord of Rings i-don`t-know-what demo or smth).
Like dbone said, the Realtek driver doesn`t work with TMT3, the Ati one works with both TMT3 or PDVD and ffdshow. You should see the 5.1 (or 7.1) option in the sound properties and the supported bitstreaming formats i.e. : DTS/DTS-HD (MA)/TrueHD/DD/DD+

Edit : Ah, dbone was faster
GreenEyez is offline  
post #658 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

No, clean the sistem (CCleaner and Driver Sweep are good options, or use a restore point/sistem image) and install the complete Catalyst Suite (minus the optional components like AMD Drag& Drop what-cha-ma-call-it and Free Lord of Rings i-don`t-know-what demo or smth).
Like dbone said, the Realtek driver doesn`t work with TMT3, the Ati one works with both TMT3 or PDVD and ffdshow. You should see the 5.1 (or 7.1) option in the sound properties and the supported bitstreaming formats i.e. : DTS/DTS-HD (MA)/TrueHD/DD/DD+

Edit : Ah, dbone was faster

So that is where that stupid Lord Of The RIngs demo came from lol

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #659 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GreenEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Lol ))
GreenEyez is offline  
post #660 of 4660 Old 06-22-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GreenEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post

ha! i did that one day..tried internal 7MC with Sharks for seamless transition. not a good experience. some mts files played but not bitstreamed and some with audio but no video, not sure if it something to do with MPC-HC/ffdshow set-up conflict? almost went crazy since i was doing fine with MPC-HC, good thing the system restore on W7 worked great.

If you had ffdshow already installed, and did not uninstall it prior to installing Shark, well, yes, a codec conflict could have occured.
But, as dbone asked, were these VC-1 encoded files by any chance ?
GreenEyez is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off