Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post

Heck, I'm open to ripping the DVD to MKV using makemkv, but my first attempt at understanding how to do so from the command line made my head hurt. Using eac3to from a command line seems straightforward, but that only works for Blu-ray.

MakeMKV doesn't use command line

See my guide below:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009...-here-we-come/

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 11:35 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

MakeMKV doesn't use command line

See my guide below:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009...-here-we-come/

Au contraire, mon ami. Try makemkvcon.exe.

I've read all of your excellent guides on MKV. My challenge is the search for a command line solution for both DVD to either VIDEO_TS or MKV and Blu-ray to MKV.
post #723 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Au contraire, mon ami. Try makemkvcon.exe.

I've read all of your excellent guides on MKV. My challenge is the search for a command line solution for both DVD to either VIDEO_TS or MKV and Blu-ray to MKV.

Ah, good catch, I have never bothered with the command line. Why do you want a command line solution, so you can just create a bat file to do everything without having to go through a UI?

Cheers,
Damian

post #724 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I want to automate the ripping in some fashion. At this point, I'd like to do that in Python for XBMC. Failing that, I'll do it in VB. I'm not aiming for anything too sophisticated. I'll probably prompt the user for the movie name, year and running length and then rip what looks like the appropriate video to an appropriately named folder and leave metadata to a scraper.
post #725 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I want to automate the ripping in some fashion. At this point, I'd like to do that in Python for XBMC. Failing that, I'll do it in VB. I'm not aiming for anything too sophisticated. I'll probably prompt the user for the movie name, year and running length and then rip what looks like the appropriate video to an appropriately named folder and leave metadata to a scraper.

Although I have never tested there is that Auto Rip n Compress tool that integrates into WMC. I had helped test a bat file that some one I talk to created to try and automate the rip process (would create an mkv, name the movie, and copy over to the server). At some point I think we ran into some issues and dropped the project (I forget what specifically)

Cheers,
Damian

post #726 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I use Auto Rip N Compress, and it's fantastic! You can completly customize the rip and compression settings, and it's as simple as popping in your dvd, and starting the app. You can even 'queue' up movies, since ripping takes less time than compression, keep popping them in, and let the computer compress all night long.

Most dvd's pop up with their name already, so you just hit start, and away it goes. I have my set up to rip and compress, then move the file to my network drives (WHS), and Media Center Master pulls down all the extra goodies.
post #727 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 12:53 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Yes, I have considered Auto Rip N Compress, except that I'm using XBMC as my front-end. I've even considered launching XBMC from WMC for this very reason. I'd just like to avoid doing so, if reasonably possible.

My fundamental issue at the moment is MPC-HC's resume feature, which appears broken with main title DVD rips to VIDEO_TS:

Quote:

I'm having an MPC-HC / DVD rip issue. I want MPC-HC to remember the last playback position and to automatically rewind (without repeating) when the movie is done. So, within MPC-HC, from View > Options, I've enabled:

* Player > Remember DVD position
* Player > Remember File position
* Playback > Play: 1 times
* Playback > Rewind when done playing

When playing a DVD ripped in its entirety, this works. However, when using tcclone to rip just the main title of the DVD, MPC-HC stops at the end of the movie and no amount of rewinding, skipping back chapters, pausing, etc., will get the movie to work again, until I uncheck the options for remembering playback position and restart the movie. At this point, the Navigate > Jump To lists only Title 1; the list of chapters is gone.

Any ideas? Or, pointers for filing bug reports / feature requests for MPC-HC?

Any suggestions on that front, while I test alternate rips?
post #728 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 PM

I use Auto Rip N Compress outside of WMC. It has a 'standalone' app, that shows the movie name, with a start and settings buttons.
post #729 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I had no idea there was a standalone Rip N Compress! Off to investigate. Thanks!
post #730 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
First, try ripping the main movie with DVDFab (you can get the trial version) and see if MPC-HC behaves the same. If so, post a report on the forums (which i don`t know where they are, but i think dbone knows, send him a PM )
post #731 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For those who want to display PGS subtitles in mkvs without having to use Haali (I prefer to avoid Haali):

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...kvs-using-mpc/

Couple of things;

1. With the latest MPC you don't need to use FFDshow for PGS subs.
You can set MS DVD Decoder (or your preferred decoder) for h264/VC-1 in External Filters. This is especially important for Intel iGPU users since FFDshow DXVA is broken on Intel gpu.

2. No matter which decoder is used, PGS subs are broken and inconsistent. In most cases during displaying forced subtitles on an MKV made with MakeMKV (tested with Avatar), the last subtitle displayed in a given set will hang and remain on screen. In other cases some subtitles are missed and not displayed at all.
post #732 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiBz View Post

Couple of things;

1. With the latest MPC you don't need to use FFDshow for PGS subs.
You can set MS DVD Decoder (or your preferred decoder) for h264/VC-1 in External Filters. This is especially important for Intel iGPU users since FFDshow DXVA is broken on Intel gpu.

2. No matter which decoder is used, PGS subs are broken and inconsistent. In most cases during displaying forced subtitles on an MKV made with MakeMKV (tested with Avatar), the last subtitle displayed in a given set will hang and remain on screen. In other cases some subtitles are missed and not displayed at all.

For #1 I didn't say you have to use FFDShow with MPC. FFDshow only applies if you are using a player like WMP which is why I separated the players in the guide. However, I would still recommend using MPC HC over WMP, and there are still issuing getting things to work properly with WMC. Still a work in progress I guess

Cheers,
Damian

post #733 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For #1 I didn't say you have to use FFDShow with MPC. FFDshow only applies if you are using a player like WMP which is why I separated the players in the guide. However, I would still recommend using MPC HC over WMP, and there are still issuing getting things to work properly with WMC. Still a work in progress I guess

Still a work in progress ?
Then I'm confused. On your blog when someone asked;

Ken June 25, 2010 at 4:12 am

Damian,

Nice write-up as always. Question, is this setup working for you on your Core i5 system?
Damian June 25, 2010 at 4:57 am

@ Ken,

Yes, I tested this on my core i5 laptop and it works fine (using MPC HC as my player).

But 5 days before this when you were breaking out the champagne celebrating, I had already explained to you how this was broken and didn't work properly.
post #734 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Still a work in progress ?
Then I'm confused. On your blog when someone asked;

Ken June 25, 2010 at 4:12 am

Damian,

Nice write-up as always. Question, is this setup working for you on your Core i5 system?
Damian June 25, 2010 at 4:57 am

@ Ken,

Yes, I tested this on my core i5 laptop and it works fine (using MPC HC as my player).

But 5 days before this when you were breaking out the champagne celebrating, I had already explained to you how this was broken and didn't work properly.

Um, I was talking about WMC when I said work in progress, not MPC HC which is what I quoted in my comments and tested to work fine (gotta love how you try to interpret my comments to your liking ). And yes I was breaking out the champagne that pgs support had been added to mkvs which is a big step forward, because up until then the internal XBMC player and the PCH were the only two players that supported PGS in mkv. Hopefully now that it is supported with MPC and mkvmerge other players will follow and any bugs that follow can be addressed quickly. Glad to see you like to put words in my mouth, but as usual you are way out to right field... ;-)

Cheers,
Damian

post #735 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Um, I was talking about WMC when I said work in progress, not MPC HC which is what I quoted in my comments and tested to work fine (gotta love how you try to interpret my comments to your liking ). And yes I was breaking out the champagne that pgs support had been added to mkvs which is a big step forward, because up until then the internal XBMC player and the PCH were the only two players that supported PGS in mkv. Hopefully now that it is supported with MPC and mkvmerge other players will follow and any bugs that follow can be addressed quickly. Glad to see you like to put words in my mouth, but as usual you are way out to right field... ;-)

Damian,

Currently with both methods (WMC & MPC) the last forced subtitle will remain on the screen for 15-30 minutes until the next subtitle is displayed. Further some forced subtitles are not displayed at all. I gave you a precise movie title, mkv creation method and time slot in that movie to observe.

If still after being aware of this, you still declare to users that "it works properly" then we have very different definitions of the word 'properly'.

You then misconstrue this somehow to me 'interpreting your comments to my liking' when in reality its the other way around.

It either works properly or it doesn't and currently it doesn't.
post #736 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Damian,

Currently with both methods (WMC & MPC) the last forced subtitle will remain on the screen for 15-30 minutes until the next subtitle is displayed. Further some forced subtitles are not displayed at all. I gave you a precise movie title, mkv creation method and time slot in that movie to observe.

If still after being aware of this, you still declare to users that "it works properly" then we have very different definitions of the word 'properly'.

You then misconstrue this somehow to me 'interpreting your comments to my liking' when in reality its the other way around.

It either works properly or it doesn't and currently it doesn't.

MiBz,

We can just agree to disagree. I understand you "think" you have a better idea of what I am saying then I do, so I can't win that one lol

Cheers,
Damian

post #737 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Avatar / Black Hawk Down / War of the Worlds / Terminator 4 : Salvation were all tested using AEAC3toGUI and MKV Merge with PGS subs and the subtitles worked correctly. The only bug was the fact that it took aprox 5 to 15 seconds for a set of subs to be changed, on SRT subs this happens instantly ofc. MPC-HC ver 2067 .
post #738 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I'd certainly like to know if MPC-HC has problems with forced PGS subtitles.

I see MiBz saying he has problems with a particular movie created using MakeMKV.

I see Damian saying he hasn't observed any problems when using MKVToolnix / MKVMerge to make MKVs.

I don't see why both of those statements can't be correct. Am I missing something?
post #739 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, it is possible that MakeMKV has bugs, it`s still beta software (that`s why i recommend AEAC3toGUI over it). But yes, there is the problem of delay between subtitle switching from X language to another. Will probably be fixed soon probably...
To be on the safe side, you can use SRT subs as before...
post #740 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How do I make my HTPC region free for DVD playback?
post #741 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd certainly like to know if MPC-HC has problems with forced PGS subtitles.

I see MiBz saying he has problems with a particular movie created using MakeMKV.

I see Damian saying he hasn't observed any problems when using MKVToolnix / MKVMerge to make MKVs.

I don't see why both of those statements can't be correct. Am I missing something?

Damian claims that the mkv's created with MakeMKV work "flawlessly"

His blog from last week refers to creating mkv's with PGS subs with MakeMKV.

But there I go misinterpreting what he said
post #742 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Damian claims that the mkv's created with MakeMKV work "flawlessly"

His blog from last week refers to creating mkv's with PGS subs with MakeMKV.

But there I go misinterpreting what he said

Wow buddy, are you drinking something...my flawless comment which I will quote below and you were nice enough to link to...

Quote:

The biggest issue is right now there appears to be a bug with Haali or MKVMerge where DTS(MA) mkvs created with mkvmerge stutter like crazy when Haali is used. The same movie created with MakeMKV plays flawless with Haali though.

Please reread, my flawless comment is in regards to a Haali bug where DTS(MA) mkvs created by MakeMKV play flawless whereas the same DTS(MA) mkv created with mkvmerge stutters like crazy. So my comments was about a DTS(MA) issue, not PGS related.

Game over buddy....

FYI - so we don't clog this thread with nuisances and in respect to Greeneyez who has done an excellent job with this thread please feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss further....

Cheers,
Damian

post #743 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Don`t worry dbone, criticism and discussions of any kind are allowed on the thread, they don`t bother me, heck, i was putting pics of my puppy 2 pages ago ).

Btw, where is the Media Player Classic forum (or bugs/feature requests forum), can you give me a link ? I searched "MPC-forum" on Goog , and i got a kids forum for cartoons and a couple of doom9 posts....))
post #744 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guide update :
-> Added ISO playback
-> Added information regarding audio from a HTPC
post #745 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Don`t worry dbone, criticism and discussions of any kind are allowed on the thread, they don`t bother me, heck, i was putting pics of my puppy 2 pages ago ).

Btw, where is the Media Player Classic forum (or bugs/feature requests forum), can you give me a link ? I searched "MPC-forum" on Goog , and i got a kids forum for cartoons and a couple of doom9 posts....))

Haha, agreed. Comes with the territory

Here is the forum:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=123537

It is a little overwhelming by the amount of posts, but the developers seem to be active in responding

FYI - regarding the Haali/mkvmerge/DTSMA issue I still havent heard back from the bug I posted

Cheers,
Damian

post #746 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 06:57 PM

Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with CoverArt. I can get all the meta data, the movie backdrops, but the actual covers do not have any images, but only the colored(blue, green, yellow, etc..) background with the media type. Not sure if it has been fixed yet, but I have updated to the newest Media Browser and CoverArt.
post #747 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 09:48 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

First, try ripping the main movie with DVDFab (you can get the trial version) and see if MPC-HC behaves the same. If so, post a report on the forums (which i don`t know where they are, but i think dbone knows, send him a PM )

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter how I rip it. Same result with DVDFab. If I rip the main title only of a DVD to VIDEO_TS, then MPC-HC wanders off into no-man's-land at the end of the movie. It does not terminate. It does not rewind. You must manually exit MPC-HC and play the movie again, and if you have MPC-HC's resume feature active, that won't even save you, since it will resume into the stuck position. The only solution is to do a Navigate > Jump To > Title 1.

Now, if I rip the DVD to an MKV, MPC-HC rewinds and exits at the end of the movie, which is perfect. However, ripping a DVD to MKV has its own challenges. I'm still investigating those.
post #748 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 09:54 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Any tips on how to get MPC-HC to automatically show forced subtitles, but not other subtitles, when playing an MKV? When I use MakeMKV to rip a DVD, MPC-HC shows regular English subtitles automatically. I'm assuming if I turn off subtitles, I won't get any forced subtitles
post #749 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titusx View Post

Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with CoverArt. I can get all the meta data, the movie backdrops, but the actual covers do not have any images, but only the colored(blue, green, yellow, etc..) background with the media type. Not sure if it has been fixed yet, but I have updated to the newest Media Browser and CoverArt.

Not sure if you're using Maelstrom or Vanilla theme but these have been deleted from the Media Broswer global repository (no idea why), so when you upgrade to the latest MB 2.2.5 it seems to break coverart, I noticed this 3 days ago on my laptop and have not upgraded my HTPC because of this bug,
Hope they sort it out, and am waiting for the 3d Coverart by ebrsoft to become ready...

Less is More and sometimes More is Less
post #750 of 4641 Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is the forum: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=123537

First forum for which I've ever registered that imposes a five-day moratorium on newbie postings. No bug reports for me.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page