Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Houston, we have a problem. A big one.

umdivx - I`ve done some new testing regarding your config, and DXVA does not work when used with a subtitle filter, as i mentioned before in the first page.

See this image above. The video is DXVA complaint and plays fine with DXVA & subs in MPC-HC.

Also, for some strange reason, even if i deselected DirectVob sub in the instalation config, set ffdshow to be the default subtile handler, it still loads up vob-sub. From where? God knows, since it is cleary not installed, because when i click the vob sub settings it gives me a missing dll error (which is normal, since it is not installed).

Was out of town this weekend. Just saw your PM. I will look into this. Maybe it isn't doing DXVA but when I checked my CPU usage it was much much lower than known .MKVs that weren't supporting DXVA.

Will post more when I have time to test, might not be for a few nights, today is my anniversary and tomorrow night I get to watch my Twins beat up on the Yankee's at home

- Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

MakeMKV is a remuxing application, it doesn`t do encoding. So the difference shoudn`t be more than a few hundred MB.

I was just trying them both for comparison in ripping speed and so forth. There was a slight difference in file sizes but I want uncompressed files.

Quote:
Playback for Blu ray folders works fine in Media Browser as long as you asociate TMT3 with Blu Ray in the Media Browser External Player config., as noted in my guide in Part 2.3 , MPC-HC/TMT3 integration in Media Browser.

I don't have TMT3 and I was hoping to be able to use as few extra programs as possible but I'll check into the MPC-HC.

Quote:
You cannot put 2 movies in the same folder. You need ONE movie/per folder. I also explained that in Part 2.2 Important Notes

Read more carefully if you don`t want to have issues.

What I meant buy the same folder was that I have files nested like this:

My Movies:
- Anime
- - Dragonball Z Season 6

- DVD
- - All of the separate DVD folders

- Blu Ray
- - All of the separate BR folders

- TV Series
- - Freaks N Geeks

But unlike DVDecrypter or even Make MKV, when I ripped the movie only in DVDFab HD I still got a bunch of folders (mostly empty) and a few other files. The movie wouldn't play in this nested folder structure so I just moved the folder up the nested tree and deleted the other folders. Now it will play in 7MC Movie section but not with Media Browser. I'm not sure if the other folder/files that came from the rip are needed. I can put them back if needed but I'm just experimenting right now.

It's a work in progress as I'm still testing out different apps and plug ins in 7MC. But I'd still like to use as few extra apps and codecs as possible.
post #93 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

As said already MakeMVK just re-containers (ie remuxs) the streams. There is zero re-encoding done with MakeMKV.

Size difference, it could be that DVDFAB is ripping the entire disk not just the main movie, MakeMKV only does the main movie, nothing else.

PowerDVD doesn't play blurays from folder format. You can only rip a blu ray to ISO and then mount said ISO so it looks like its playing from a physical disk. Only TMT3 will play back a ripped blu ray from folder format.

- Josh

I'll make an ISO to use for these test. Thanks.
post #94 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal55 View Post

I was just trying them both for comparison in ripping speed and so forth. There was a slight difference in file sizes but I want uncompressed files.

MakeMKV just remuxes the main movie into an mkv container instead of a BD folder structure. It doesn`t compress anything. Compressing takes hours even on my i7 CPU.
The difference could be that DVD Fab also takes the additional audio tracks (secondary ones, not the main DTS-HA MA or TrueHD) and puts them intro the rip.

Quote:

I don't have TMT3 and I was hoping to be able to use as few extra programs as possible but I'll check into the MPC-HC.

Sorry, i missed the part where you said that you have PDVD9. As umdix said, PDVD does not support playback of BD folder structures, just ISOs. That`s the main reason why i recomended
Quote:

What I meant buy the same folder was that I have files nested like this:

My Movies:
- Anime
- - Dragonball Z Season 6

- DVD
- - All of the separate DVD folders

- Blu Ray
- - All of the separate BR folders

- TV Series
- - Freaks N Geeks

But unlike DVDecrypter or even Make MKV, when I ripped the movie only in DVDFab HD I still got a bunch of folders (mostly empty) and a few other files. The movie wouldn't play in this nested folder structure so I just moved the folder up the nested tree and deleted the other folders. Now it will play in 7MC Movie section but not with Media Browser. I'm not sure if the other folder/files that came from the rip are needed. I can put them back if needed but I'm just experimenting right now.

It's a work in progress as I'm still testing out different apps and plug ins in 7MC. But I'd still like to use as few extra apps and codecs as possible.

Well a BD folder structure is made up of several folders. The BDMV folder (with a subfolder called STREAM where the movie video file is stored, also a couple of other subfolder like BACKUP, JAR and AUXDATA) and a Certificate folder, containing DRM information or smth (i think). Is this what DVD Fab is producing? (i have 0 experience with DVD Fab, i use Clown_BD for ripping to BD folders)

As i said, you need to asociate BD playback with PDVD in Media Browser if you want playback. External Players Tab -> Add an external Player, choose Blu Ray for the video type.

As for codecs, both of the routes my guide take install only ffdshow & madFLAC (Section 1.1) / ffdshow & mpc-hc decoder & madFLAC (Section 1.2). TMT3/PDVD have their own internal decoders, same goes for MPC-HC.
post #95 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

Was out of town this weekend. Just saw your PM. I will look into this. Maybe it isn't doing DXVA but when I checked my CPU usage it was much much lower than known .MKVs that weren't supporting DXVA.

Will post more when I have time to test, might not be for a few nights, today is my anniversary and tomorrow night I get to watch my Twins beat up on the Yankee's at home

- Josh

Ok, i`ll be waiting for your results. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY
post #96 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I installed Remote Potato and everytime I start it keeps saying "starting". :\\

Edit:
I've also been trying to get my home vista computer to let me access the tv recordings to my laptop which is Win 7 and it keeps saying I don't have access. I setup the library on my laptop to add content from my desktop and set the content on my desktop to share.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #97 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 11:25 AM

Liked: 10
Reclock has a lot of options. Someone who knows it well should publish a tutorial on it explaining the different options or at least give us a simple step by step setup.

I would like to know the config to use for TMT3 in combination with an ATI5750 with bitstreaming enable.
post #98 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Well a BD folder structure is made up of several folders. The BDMV folder (with a subfolder called STREAM where the movie video file is stored, also a couple of other subfolder like BACKUP, JAR and AUXDATA) and a Certificate folder, containing DRM information or smth (i think). Is this what DVD Fab is producing? (i have 0 experience with DVD Fab, i use Clown_BD for ripping to BD folders)

As i said, you need to asociate BD playback with PDVD in Media Browser if you want playback. External Players Tab -> Add an external Player, choose Blu Ray for the video type..

Yes, that is the stuff that was in the movie folder after the rip. Mostly all the folders were empty and I did uncheck all the extra soundtracks, subpictures, etc. I just took the main movie which ended up in the "Streaming" folder and movie it to another folder. Then it would play in 7MC but not Media Browser.

I already use PDVD9 to play BR disc through 7MC. I just didn't know it couldn't handle BR folders like it can for DVDs. I don't have TMT3 but I do have the Arcsoft stuff from my Hauppauge HD-PVR, Total media Extreme. I'm not sure it will suffice.
post #99 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Media Control configuration :
Download link

Install the software. During the instalation, on the Additional Tasks menu, uncheck "Media Control Entries", all of them. Next you will be prompted with a configuration menu

Remote control & keyboard tab
-> Assign Audio/Subtitles page to your prefferd button (Blue button for ex)
-> Remove the rest of the entries and click "Commit Changes"

Notifications / Tricks tab
-> enable Resume Movie
-> disable "Show the streams menu
-> Make sure "Use Media State Aggregation", "Enable Media Experience" and "Enable Advanced Features" are all enabled and the click Commit Changes

FFdshow configuration
-> click "Apply Minimal config" then commit changes again.

Result : now when you press the blue button (or whatever button you asigned) you will get a top-down menu with the list of subtitles/audio streams available and select the one/ones you like.

Will add this to the main guide later, when i get back from work.

It is a great guide. I installed Windows 7 (X64) and used part 1.2 to install codecs. Everything is fine except one glitches which I could not change the multiple sound tracks or multiple subtiles. I will try Media Control tonigt.
post #100 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, that is the stuff that was in the movie folder after the rip. Mostly all the folders were empty and I did uncheck all the extra soundtracks, subpictures, etc. I just took the main movie which ended up in the "Streaming" folder and movie it to another folder. Then it would play in 7MC but not Media Browser.

I already use PDVD9 to play BR disc through 7MC. I just didn't know it couldn't handle BR folders like it can for DVDs. I don't have TMT3 but I do have the Arcsoft stuff from my Hauppauge HD-PVR, Total media Extreme. I'm not sure it will suffice.

Now i think get it. You took the movie (it has a .m2ts extension) from the STREAM folder and put it into another folder, right? And when you play it via the 7MC movie library it opens up in and plays the internal 7MC player right? Is this correct ?
post #101 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

I installed Remote Potato and everytime I start it keeps saying "starting". :\\

Edit:
I've also been trying to get my home vista computer to let me access the tv recordings to my laptop which is Win 7 and it keeps saying I don't have access. I setup the library on my laptop to add content from my desktop and set the content on my desktop to share.

Don`t know about remote potato, i don`t use that plugin (i don`t use my HTPC as a DVR/TV tuner), but i`ll check into it anyway tomorrow and see if it works.

As for the share issue, make sure that the contents you set to share aren`t read only (left click -> properties). Also, are you running both the PCs (Vista&7) in admin mode?
post #102 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 PM

Yes, that is correct. But in neither folder setup would Media Browser play it. And 7MC would not play it in the original folder nesting. I just didn't know if I had done something wrong when it wouldn't play at first.
post #103 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrimosae View Post

Reclock has a lot of options. Someone who knows it well should publish a tutorial on it explaining the different options or at least give us a simple step by step setup.

I would like to know the config to use for TMT3 in combination with an ATI5750 with bitstreaming enable.

1) I`ll make a more detailed tutorial regarding ReClock and 24p playback tomorrow morning, right now i`m working on a ripping tutorial for the guide.

2) Just go to the audio tab in TMT options, select HDMI and "Use Primary Audio" and that`s it, bitstreaming enabled. Oh, and don`t forget to have the latest Ati drivers (Catalyst 10.4), previous versions had EDID issues with certain receivers (not being able to passthrough TrueHD, only DTS-HD MA)
post #104 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, that is correct. But in neither folder setup would Media Browser play it. And 7MC would not play it in the original folder nesting. I just didn't know if I had done something wrong when it wouldn't play at first.

When you had a Blu ray folder structure, both 7MC Movie Library and MB needed a player that could play Blu ray folder structures, like TMT3 or MPC-HC.
Since PDVD can`t, that`s why it would not work.

But playing a m2ts file stored in a movie folder ( ex : The Hurt Locker (2009) -> The Hurt Locker (2009).m2ts ) should work with MB with no problem. Alot of my movies are stored in m2ts containers.

Are you getting an error message when you try to play it, or what happens ?
post #105 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:

When you had a Blu ray folder structure, both 7MC Movie Library and MB needed a player that could play Blu ray folder structures, like TMT3 or MPC-HC.
Since PDVD can`t, that`s why it would not work.

But playing a m2ts file stored in a movie folder ( ex : The Hurt Locker (2009) -> The Hurt Locker (2009).m2ts ) should work with MB with no problem. Alot of my movies are stored in m2ts containers.

Are you getting an error message when you try to play it, or what happens ?

I see. So I can use PDVD9 for BR disc but I'll need the other apps for BR folders. I'll download them when I get home (I'm at work right now). And the .mts2 files play with no problems that I have seen in in 7MC. I'll watch an entire movie next time to be sure.
post #106 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was talking about Media Browser. You said that the m2ts files don`t play from Media Browser, which is abnormal. And i wanted to know if you were getting an error message or smth when you tried to play them from Media Browser, or what happens ?

As for BR folders, yes, those 2 support BR folders from your HDD. You can also use them for physical disks instead of PDVD, ofc. MPC-HC is free, but has some limitations regarding Blu Ray menus. But if you just rip the main movie, you won`t have menus anyway. TMT3 is 80 bucks and supports Blu ray menus, so it can be used for full disks. You can download a trial from their website. Play around with all 3 and see which one you like.
post #107 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 12:59 PM

I'll be ripping main movies only so MPC should be fine if I don't just stick to the mts2 file in a folder.

As for Media Browser and the BR folder, I think it tried to open Powerdvd. I'll try it out again when I get home. I'll take some screen grabs when I get home too.
post #108 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good ideea about those screens.

If it was trying to open PDVD, than means that i`m stupid )). I told you to associate BR folder structures with PDVD, when PDVD9 can`t actually open them. Delete PDVD from the external players in Media browser and it should work. Sorry i misguided you, i was thinking about my setup at home.

If it was a different error, than post those screens when you get home (i`ll look at them tomorrow probably since it`s 11 o`clock pm where i live and i`m going to sleep soon because i`m exhausted)
post #109 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 01:23 PM

I'll see what I can get together. Have a good night.
post #110 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:

I'll be ripping main movies only so MPC should be fine if I don't just stick to the mts2 file in a folder.

As for Media Browser and the BR folder, I think it tried to open Powerdvd. I'll try it out again when I get home. I'll take some screen grabs when I get home too.

remember that by going the m2ts route you'll lose chapters skipping tough
post #111 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Don`t know about remote potato, i don`t use that plugin (i don`t use my HTPC as a DVR/TV tuner), but i`ll check into it anyway tomorrow and see if it works.

Ok, cool thanks. I'm just jumping into all this. I'm going off of what MCE and windows tells me. If I have to do a lot of Network config then I might not get it to work or I'll have left my network open to threats. Ugh...

Quote:

As for the share issue, make sure that the contents you set to share aren`t read only (left click -> properties). Also, are you running both the PCs (Vista&7) in admin mode?

Hmm... I'll have to check into that. Thanks

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #112 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
So I'm back to report my fresh reformat story.

Neither method work. Nothing has ever worked for my HTPC. Oh woe is me.

In addition I found out that I didn't need to reformat that infact my HIS 5670 was dead. So I slapped that ICEQ turbo heatsink and fan on my older Radeon 4670 and put it back in. So I don't get bitstreaming anymore but I own a slim PS3 now.

Anyways, as frustrated as always with my HTPC not working like it's supposed to.

My PS3 however is running flawlessly..
post #113 of 4641 Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don`t understand. What doesn`t work? Be more specific because i don`t have a crystal ball
And you said the before reformat you had your HTPC up and running with everything you needed. Now you say nothing worked before either.
post #114 of 4641 Old 05-25-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:

2) Just go to the audio tab in TMT options, select HDMI and "Use Primary Audio" and that`s it, bitstreaming enabled. Oh, and don`t forget to have the latest Ati drivers (Catalyst 10.4), previous versions had EDID issues with certain receivers (not being able to passthrough TrueHD, only DTS-HD MA)

GreenEyez, i did exactly all of this to bitstream audio. However, the DTS-HD did not light up on my receiver (Onkyo 606) when playing blu-ray disc. Also, if i play TMT outside 7MC i get the DTS light but within 7MC it does not and only defaults to PLXII listening mode.

Anything i may have done wrong? Also, i made sure I upgraded to ATI Catalyst 10.4. Do i need to tweak any stuff from RealTek audio HD?
post #115 of 4641 Old 05-25-2010, 05:17 AM

Ok, I have a few screens and checked a few things yesterday.

DVDFab rip structure

There are two rips in the Blu Ray folder

Media Browser Menus

MB Blu Ray Movie selection only shows one movie

The first movie in the BR folder section will play

The above folder structure will not play in 7MC movie section but the below setup will.

Stream file renamed and moved up to the main folder

Plays in 7MCs Movie section

The DVDs work normally in 7MC and Media Browser. But I wanted to know why the MB blu ray section will not display the BR movies in the folder. I'm guessing it has something to do with the folders structure.
post #116 of 4641 Old 05-25-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

There's something about MediaBrowser needing at least three movies in a folder. It has something to do with it assuming it is a two-part movie the way you have it. Just grab any other movie and put in your Blu-ray folder (FYI, it's not called Blu Ray or Blu-Ray...).

Here's the issue http://community.mediabrowser.tv/per...ver-works#1458

post #117 of 4641 Old 05-25-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

There's something about MediaBrowser needing at least three movies in a folder. It has something to do with it assuming it is a two-part movie the way you have it. Just grab any other movie and put in your Blu-ray folder (FYI, it's not called Blu Ray or Blu-Ray...).

Here's the issue http://community.mediabrowser.tv/per...ver-works#1458

I'll give that a try when I get home this evening and see if it works. Thanks
post #118 of 4641 Old 05-25-2010, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post

GreenEyez, i did exactly all of this to bitstream audio. However, the DTS-HD did not light up on my receiver (Onkyo 606) when playing blu-ray disc. Also, if i play TMT outside 7MC i get the DTS light but within 7MC it does not and only defaults to PLXII listening mode.

Anything i may have done wrong? Also, i made sure I upgraded to ATI Catalyst 10.4. Do i need to tweak any stuff from RealTek audio HD?

You have the Realtek drivers and the Ati drivers ? If so, uninstall the Realtek ones and install only the Ati HDMI drivers that come with the Catalyst package, the realtek ones are useless.

Also, make sure you have the latest patches for TMT3, version 1.70 and above (they enabled bitstreaming with 5xxx series cards in the 1.70 patch)
post #119 of 4641 Old 05-25-2010, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I have a few screens and checked a few things yesterday.

DVDFab rip structure

Media Browser Menus

MB Blu Ray Movie selection only shows one movie

The first movie in the BR folder section will play

The above folder structure will not play in 7MC movie section but the below setup will.

Stream file renamed and moved up to the main folder

Plays in 7MCs Movie section

The DVDs work normally in 7MC and Media Browser. But I wanted to know why the MB blu ray section will not display the BR movies in the folder. I'm guessing it has something to do with the folders structure.

What is the MainMovie folder you have there? Did you put it there or did DVDFab create it?

The structure should be
New Moon -> BDVM folder with all the subfolders in it
Star Trek -> BDVM folder with all the subfolders in it

No Main Movie folder or whatever. Pic below on how it should be.

Tip : make sure you put the year in the movie folder name, between (), ex: New Moon (2009) . It has nothing to do with playback (the removal of the Main Movie intermediate folder should solve that) but it ensures that you get correct metadata for your movies (some movies have the same name but are from different years)
LL
post #120 of 4641 Old 05-25-2010, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

What is the MainMovie folder you have there? Did you put it there or did DVDFab create it?

The structure should be
Moon -> BDVM folder with all the subfolders

No Main Movie folder or whatever.

DVDFab creates it. I didn't even notice the incorrect directory paths. Also, to be even more specific it should be named "Movie (Year)/BDVM/". (Just now saw the edit above... Interesting folder naming for Memento ... edit again )

Still, I think he will need three movies in the Blu-ray folder before it works correctly.

Also, why have the different catagories in the first place? Does it matter that the original was DVD or Blu-ray? It just seems sort of silly for the user to know that Star Trek was ripped from a Blu-ray instead of a DVD when browsing for it. Just make a catagory for Movies and add both the DVD and Blu-ray folders as a source in MediaBrowser. Using the MediaInfo plugin it will say in the movie details what quality the movie is.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page