Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #151 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any chance ISOs would show up in Media Browser? with all the cover art and stuff? also have 7MC to automatically mount my ISO from there?

if not, i will just do what dbone said by making just MKVs. do i lose chapters and menus with MKVs? not a big deal but nice to have. sorry for the newbie question, i'm very new to all this stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexb610 View Post

any chance ISOs would show up in Media Browser? with all the cover art and stuff? also have 7MC to automatically mount my ISO from there?

if not, i will just do what dbone said by making just MKVs. do i lose chapters and menus with MKVs? not a big deal but nice to have. sorry for the newbie question, i'm very new to all this stuff.

Yes they will, just make sure each ISO is in its own folder and make sure the naming is as close as possible to the exact name of the movie

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #153 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereno1 View Post

I already have media browser installed, but no cover art or anything comes up

Each avi or mp4 is in its own folder? How are they named (as close to if not exactly the name of the actual movie)?

FYI - you can use a program such as Metabrowser to help gather your metadata if you want:

http://themetabrowser.com/download/

Cheers,
Damian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #154 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 AM

I think it is all in the naming of the file, not in the format of the file. So just make sure the file has a name that is easily recognizable to mediabrowser. Rename it from say (ripping group name)_High Skool_Music_3 to High School Musical 3
post #155 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilpaxim View Post

I think it is all in the naming of the file, not in the format of the file. So just make sure the file has a name that is easily recognizable to mediabrowser. Rename it from say (ripping group name)_High Skool_Music_3 to High School Musical 3

No, it's actually in the name of the folder as dbone mentioned.

D:\\Movies\\High School Musical 3 (2008)\\anyfilename.xxx

or

D:\\Movies\\High School Musical 3 (2008)\\Video_TS\\*.vob

Having a folder full of movies in a single folder will not work. The cover art, backdrops, and xml data for each movie are placed in the movie's folder.

There's a batch file floating around that will take a movie file and create a folder named after the movie filename and place the movie into it. Then using a program such as MetaBrowser you should be able to get things cleaned up the rest of the way.

post #156 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

There's a batch file floating around that will take a movie file and create a folder named after the movie filename and place the movie into it. Then using a program such as MetaBrowser you should be able to get things cleaned up the rest of the way.

Yeah, you can use file2folder which can be dowloaded here

Cheers,
Damian

post #157 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yeah, you can use file2folder which can be dowloaded here

Or read part 2.2 on page one of this thread

post #158 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Or read part 2.2 on page one of this thread

Haha, correct, same link on 2.2

Cheers,
Damian

post #159 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 11:40 AM

I found that trying to rely only on a media browser within 7MC was much, much harder than opening the file with a mouse from a file browser window.

I only browse recorded TV and Netflix with the remote. Everything else (Movies, Boxee) has to use the mouse. Renaming all of my files just for cute backgrounds is for the birds, in my curmudgeonly opinion. More power to those whole like that sort of thing, though.
post #160 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Liked: 11
I'm glad that I got the movie folders done but next are the recorded tv shows. SageTV labeling method makes no sense to me and I wanted to get that section looking as good as the movie section.
post #161 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGeek View Post

I found that trying to rely only on a media browser within 7MC was much, much harder than opening the file with a mouse from a file browser window.

I only browse recorded TV and Netflix with the remote. Everything else (Movies, Boxee) has to use the mouse. Renaming all of my files just for cute backgrounds is for the birds, in my curmudgeonly opinion. More power to those whole like that sort of thing, though.

You must admit that windows explorer is kind of sad on a 60" TV screen

Most metadata scrapper are intelligent enough to decode most of the conventional naming scheme out there (some are built for movie downloader).
As for sving each file in a folder a simple .bat file does the trick for you.

Also, a remote is more confortable when playing couch potato
post #162 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

You may need to add .ISO to the list of formats in the MB configuration under the "extenders and iso" tab, then point it at your daemon-tools location.

And yes, you will lose the menus and extras in MKV format. If you really really need the extras, you could always rip them into separate MKVs, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort myself...
post #163 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGeek View Post

And that has a WAF = Zero

It has to be remote only or my wife won't use it. Even then it needs to be obvious and easy. Eyes will roll if I say use the remote for TV, but a mouse for movies, then a remote for music, but a mouse for music videos. Oh, and to close media center and open windows explorer and browse to a certain folder...

And like what was already mentioned, most programs take care of the renaming anyway. I use MetaBrowser and it renames for me.

post #164 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereno1 View Post

I am just getting my HTPC set up and have been reading and trying to understand how to get everything going.

I would like to use 7MC for everything if possible. Right now I just have a bunch of movies that I got from a friend but they are all in avi and mp4 format. What format do I need the movies in so it will bring up all the info through 7MC with synopsis, coverart etc? I already downloaded media browser, but when viewing the movies in 7MC they are all just colored tiles with the title.

How can I get it to look like this? http://www.redmondpie.com/wp-content...ediaCenter.png

Do I need to convert the files to something else besides avi or mp4?

I want to start ripping the DVDs I have as well, what is a good easy to use program to do that? Free would be nice as well.

Thanks for the help

No, you don`t need to convert anything. Doesn`t matter what extension they have, as the others said, you need a specific file/folder structure if you want metadata (cover/synopsis/actors etc.)

You need the correct name name (and preferably year, between () ) each movie in it`s own folder.

Ex :

D:\\Movies\\Dark Knight (2008)\\Dark Knight (2008).avi
..............\\Avatar (2009)\\Avatar.mp4

Get the picture?
For Coverflow there is a views option right in the upper side of the screen, you can select what you want from there, including the Coverflow.

This is all for MediaBrowser, read Part 2 of the guide, it explaines everything about it.

HTPC : AMD Zacate E350 with XBMC 10.00 + Aeon MQ
Storage : 6TB DLink NAS
post #165 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal55 View Post

Well, I ripped a 3rd BR and got the folders all setup and MB will now recognize each BR movie but won't play them. Told me that the path didn't exist. I have to get them to play through MPC-HC correctly now. I chose it as the external player in the MB config box so I no longer get the error message. MPC opens but the movie won't play automatically. I'll go over the info in the beginning of the thread and get that all setup next.

You can`t play BR folders with PDVD9, i told you. You have to got with ISO images or mkv rips. My guide uses TMT3 that can play BR folders (that`s the only reason a i recomended it or PDVD9, that and it doesn`t have that stupid MooovieLive or whatever it`s called). MPC-HC is used for mkv/m2ts/ts playback in my guide

Quote:

PDVD won't play the BR folders but that's ok. I'll just take the time to setup MPC-HC later. I would just play the streams in 7MC but I like having the meta info and would like to use MB. I'll get it together. The TV season is just ending so I have all summer to get it right.

You can do (play just the stream file), that, just respect the file/folder naming convetion and you will still get meta info in MB, no matter what extension.

for ex :

D:\\Movies\\Dark Knight (2008)\\Dark Knight (2008).m2ts

Media Browser doesn`t care what type of container you put your movies into, it just wants the correct file/folder name. Actually, the folder name, the file name doesn`t count i think.

Media Browser 2.2.4 (Cronos) which will be released soon (in a couple of days) will ignore "_" between words so you don`t even have to rename them.

But personally i would go for ripping to mkv since you get chapters that way

Offtopic : bryansj, dbone, do you guys know who the moderator/moderators of this section is/are? I`m going to try to apply for a sticky but have no clue who to contact.

post #166 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Offtopic : bryansj, dbone, do you guys know who the moderator/moderators of this section is/are? I`m going to try to apply for a sticky but have no clue who to contact.

PM Bob Sorel - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=573

Good idea to sticky

Cheers,
Damian

post #167 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm glad that I got the movie folders done but next are the recorded tv shows. SageTV labeling method makes no sense to me and I wanted to get that section looking as good as the movie section.

This is my structure for TV Shows:

\\\\MyServer\\TV Shows\\Show Name\\Season X

(Subfolder to Season x)
SXXEXX - Episode Name.mkv

Cheers,
Damian

post #168 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PM Bob Sorel - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=573

Good idea to sticky

Thanks alot.

post #169 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Yes they will, just make sure each ISO is in its own folder and make sure the naming is as close as possible to the exact name of the movie

Ok thanks. i will try and check that again using Media browser.

how about 7MC autoloading my ISOs? i googled and found this.

http://mikinho.com/wmc/mount-image/

any one care to chime in? or is there a better way?
post #170 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Ok thanks. i will try and check that again using Media browser.

how about 7MC autoloading my ISOs? i googled and found this.

http://mikinho.com/wmc/mount-image/

any one care to chime in? or is there a better way?

INstall either daemon tool lite or Virtual Clone Drive (I prefer this one)
post #171 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:

External Filters tab
-> add ffdshow audio decoder to the list and check "preffered"
-> add ffdshow video decoder and leave the default setting

Playback tab
-> Fullscreen -> Tick "Launch files in fullscreen"

I'm going through the tutorial for setting up MPC-HC and ffdshow and I don't see any ffdhow audio or video decoder. Are they called something else? And on the Playback tab, I don't see a "fullscreen" option.

I found the "Fullscreen" option under "Player". Now I just need the decoders.
post #172 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They should look like this :

I hope you are using the latest MPC-HC and ffdshow from the donwload links postes in the guide.
LL
LL

post #173 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 PM

I did follow those links and I ended up with a ver. 1.2.1249 of MPC-HC 64bit. But I guess I should have had 1.3.1955. It would help if I read Russian or whatever that is. I clicked on the 1955 link and end up at a screen saying something about not getting a stable version. I'm guessing it's a Beta. I've got the right version now.

But still no ffdshow filters.

I reinstalled ffdshow and have the filters now.
post #174 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Damian,

I have been putting all movies with folders in separate folders, but ISOs and MKVs in a single folder, and Media Browser has been working great---it gets metadata for all movies.

For clarification, I have:

c:/movie folders/avatar/audio_ts, video_ts/*
/die another day/audio_ts, video_ts/*
/scent of a woman/audio_ts, video_ts/*

c:/movie files/amadeus.iso
/crazy heart.iso
/invictus.iso

I referenced the two top directories in the MB configuration tool. This seems to work for me with the latest MB. Am I missing something?
post #175 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter698 View Post

Damian,

I have been putting all movies with folders in separate folders, but ISOs and MKVs in a single folder, and Media Browser has been working great---it gets metadata for all movies.

For clarification, I have:

c:/movie folders/avatar/audio_ts, video_ts/*
/die another day/audio_ts, video_ts/*
/scent of a woman/audio_ts, video_ts/*

c:/movie files/amadeus.iso
/crazy heart.iso
/invictus.iso

I referenced the two top directories in the MB configuration tool. This seems to work for me with the latest MB. Am I missing something?

By doing it this way you can't use external metadata utility like media center master. Those external utility tend to do a better more complete job, like downloading multiple background (for cycling), trailers, actors picture etc...

You need individual folder for that. But don't despair, a simple batch file called file2folder.bat does the job for you.
post #176 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did follow those links and I ended up with a ver. 1.2.1249 of MPC-HC 64bit. But I guess I should have had 1.3.1955. It would help if I read Russian or whatever that is. I clicked on the 1955 link and end up at a screen saying something about not getting a stable version. I'm guessing it's a Beta. I've got the right version now.

But still no ffdshow filters.

I reinstalled ffdshow and have the filters now.

They are nightly builds, just like ffdshow. The site is both in russian and in english. The 1.2.1249 is a old version, from the offical website at sourceforge/ But its mkv splitter doesn`t support HD audio from mkv containers.

Are you planning to try out MPC-HC as an external player for mkv/m2ts/ts from my tutorial in Section 1.1?

post #177 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 07:30 PM

Yes, I am. I followed the instruction up to the Optional part and when I try to play a BR I get this:

"No D3DX9 dll found. TO enable stats, shaders and complex resizers, please make sure to install the latest DirectX End-User Runtime."

So now I'm off to the MS site. But this is the last thing that I'll do tonight.
post #178 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Yes, I am. I followed the instruction up to the Optional part and when I try to play a BR I get this:

"No D3DX9 dll found. TO enable stats, shaders and complex resizers, please make sure to install the latest DirectX End-User Runtime."

So now I'm off to the MS site. But this is the last thing that I'll do tonight.

Your not using EVR as the renderer?
post #179 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh yea, i forgot to that that in the guide. You need the latest DX. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

post #180 of 4674 Old 05-26-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrimosae View Post

Your not using EVR as the renderer?

Where is it?
Reply Home Theater Computers