AVS Forum banner

Comparing the HTPC BluRay Players

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Karyk 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am curious, what are your favorite features of your chosen HTPC BluRay player? Why did you choose the one you use over the other two? The big three I can think of are TMT, WinDVD, and PowerDVD.

I use TMT. My reason was mostly vased in HD-DVD. I like its integration with WMC. I have not really tried the others, to be honest, because when I started looking PDVD killed its HD-DVD support and I needed it.

So why do you all use the software player of your choice? What features does it have that made you select it over the others?

Inquiring minds want to know.

See less See more
#4 ·
TMT 3

- Folder playback (number one reason)

- No stupid MoovieLive "feature" that pisses me off or other stupid ads that cannot be disabled.

#7 ·
TMT 3 for the ease of Folder playback

#8 ·
PowerDVD - because it's the one I've always used, and TMT has either not worked or crashed (I mean not even bluescreen, but caused the computer to reboot spontaneously) when I've tried it.

Right now I've got PowerDVD 7.3 and PowerDVD 9 (both "Ultra" versions) installed on my HTPC, so that I can watch the few HD-DVDs I still have. Once I have replaced all my HD-DVDs with Blu-Rays, I'll drop PowerDVD 7.3.

For folder-based DVD playback, I used to prefer VLC, but it has some strange problem on my computer regarding audio dropouts that the VLC people have never been able to figure out - a few of us Windows users have this problem. Since the problem appears so rare (and is probably caused by my sound card driver - a high end one (HT Omega Striker 7.1)), they have little incentive to debug it, and they have recommended I use Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, which does work. I prefer the default keyboard shortcuts for VLC, but those audio dropouts are really annoying.

- Tim

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/18669683

Hey everyone,

I am curious, what are your favorite features of your chosen HTPC BluRay player? Why did you choose the one you use over the other two? The big three I can think of are TMT, WinDVD, and PowerDVD.

I use TMT. My reason was mostly vased in HD-DVD. I like its integration with WMC. I have not really tried the others, to be honest, because when I started looking PDVD killed its HD-DVD support and I needed it.

So why do you all use the software player of your choice? What features does it have that made you select it over the others?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Could you discuss the WMC 7 integration of TMT more? I am going to use WMC 7 and was planning on using PDVD10 because of it's level of integration, but I'm curious.

Thanks,

Chris

#15 ·
Mirillis Splash

Well, it's not really a "Blu ray" player per-sey (it doesn't have a number of the main features that full "players" would be expected to have) but it plays back my blu ray m2ts rips just fine on my basement desktop (just analog outs to regular computer speakers.)

Odd name, but it works really well for a person that just wants to have a lightweight player in their back pocket for rip playback.

Can't wait until they release their full, Pro and Blu Ray versions.

http://mirillis.com/splash.html

-Suntan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.