the most weird HTPC issue I have ever had, flickering NBC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK I have a hauppauge 1800 and a ATI Radeon 5670 hooked up with my computer. I got them both working brilliantly, I have been on the ATI Radeon 5xxx thread talking about all the problems and got them all resolved, so I got DTS-HD sound quality through my surround sound awesome! Boxee and Windows Media Center work awesomely!!! I got windows media center recording channels perfectly, me and my fiance' watched glee via the HTPC last night, LOOKED AWESOME in HD (use the qam tuner via the hauppauge to get some HD channel so I can record them)! But when she switched to watched NBC's parenthood (god i hate that show) the channel flickers? Its only NBC... how can I have everything correct but only NBC does not work. I can play video games, watch internet tv, watch CBS, FOX, etc but for some god awful reason NBC just flickers on and off almost like when I had auto-contrast on my Sharp television. I don't even know how to troubleshoot this!! I just told the fiance' to watch via the cable box until I figure this out for all the NBC shows (the Office, parenthood, parks and recreation). PLEASE HELP ME!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Most likely it is a side-effect of the 29/59 bug (See here: http://thegreenbutton.net/forums/t/7...px?PageIndex=1)

Essentially certain channels in certain areas (even specific to certain shows) are flagged incorrectly and the stream reports as oscillating between interlaced/progressive. WMC does not handle this well.

For some (me) I get severe stutter, while for others depending on the hardware it's less noticeable. I'm pretty sure with your hardware the ATI card has the Dyanmic Contrast setting enabled which is triggered by the above stuttering. Disable Dyanmic Contrast and you'll at least eliminate the flicker, but the stuttering may or may not be noticeable.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-26-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genro View Post

Most likely it is a side-effect of the 29/59 bug (See here: http://thegreenbutton.net/forums/t/7...px?PageIndex=1)

Essentially certain channels in certain areas (even specific to certain shows) are flagged incorrectly and the stream reports as oscillating between interlaced/progressive. WMC does not handle this well.

For some (me) I get severe stutter, while for others depending on the hardware it's less noticeable. I'm pretty sure with your hardware the ATI card has the Dyanmic Contrast setting enabled which is triggered by the above stuttering. Disable Dyanmic Contrast and you'll at least eliminate the flicker, but the stuttering may or may not be noticeable.

where do you think that option will be, under the ATI CCC?
post #4 of 8 Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

It's in CCC, but kind of hidden. I think you have to go to the screen where it shows the Displays, and then click on the Down arrow (but on the picture of the display on the lower left, not the center of the screen) and go to Configuration or Properties or something like that. Sorry for the vague description but going by memory here.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-27-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
The configuration menu is actually hidden in a right-click menu on the above mentioned "picture of the display". Total PITA.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

found it finally, jesus christ what a pita, let me see if it resolves problem.... brb
post #7 of 8 Old 05-27-2010, 07:06 PM

That fixed it on mine, so I am pretty sure it will on yours. No problems whatsoever since then.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-27-2010, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

yeah that works perfectly now, now if only i can figure out why when i came home turned on WMC that it said it did not have right 'files' to play and then i had to restart computer? ****ing handshake between receiver & computer must be sketchy, starting to get really pissed off
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page