Video Card = 2pin SPDIF, Motherboard = 3pin SPDIF: What do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2010, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to get (any kind of) audio out through my video card's HDMI connection, but the card has 2-pin SPDIF, while the motherboard has a 3-pin SPDIF connector.

The video card (ASUS EN9500GT) came with a SPDIF adapter, but it is unfortunately 2-pin to 4-pin? (please see pic).

I've tried searching for a 2-pin to 3-pin adapter, but am coming up short.

Any ideas on what I should do? Seems like it should be possible...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Spdif should just be 2 wire (signal and ground). Are you sure that motherboard header is an input? I have one on my asus boards but I think they are output.

Since it is just spdif, why not use the spdif from the mb onboard sound?
Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S View Post

...Are you sure that motherboard header is an input? I have one on my asus boards but I think they are output.

Since it is just spdif, why not use the spdif from the mb onboard sound?

I think it's an output, but I think that's what I want in order to feed on-board audio (DVD/Blu-ray) into the video card's HDMI, right? I dunno, now I'm getting even more confused.

Basically, I want to use the HDMI output of the video card for both video and audio, ditching the current line-out from the audio card. I want to reduce the number of cables snaking around behind my system.

[EDIT]: I just double-checked the board's (Intel DG35EC) technical documents, and yes, it is an output.
Also, under the heading "Advanced Digital Display (ADD2/MEC) Card Support", it states "HDMI support (when used with the S/PDIF connector)".
Not sure if that's relevant to what I'm trying to do.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Needs to be connected to pins 2(spdif out) & 3(ground) according to the manual. Pin 1 is vcc which is used for optical, NOT COAXIAL.

You need something like this because the 4 pin header that came with your video card won't fit onto the motherboard 3 pin spdif output.
http://www.logicsupply.com/products/cabhdr254_20

EDIT: Just noticed the asus supplied cable has a Y split to a 2 pin header. You can use this, just make sure its connected properly. Black should be ground and the blue cable is spdif.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

The four pin connector is only using 2 wires. If pins 2&3 are the ones needed to be connected, just let it overhang the motherboard. You can always change the position of the wires if you have to. Just make sure the ground is the same color wire on the motherboard and the video card. If the 4 pin connector won't work, take a small punch and depress the locking tab of each wire and remove the 2 wires from it and hook up that way, or cut the 2 empty slots off of the connector. You don't need any kind of adapter to make this work. Don't worry about other pins they aren't used.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

The 3 pin header on the motherboard looks like this

which is why the 4 pin wont fit.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

The 3 pin header on the motherboard looks like this

which is why the 4 pin wont fit.

Just remove the wires or trim the connector to fit.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Pair of cutters will work for trimming the spdif cable.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittnell View Post

I think it's an output, but I think that's what I want in order to feed on-board audio (DVD/Blu-ray) into the video card's HDMI, right? I dunno, now I'm getting even more confused.

Basically, I want to use the HDMI output of the video card for both video and audio, ditching the current line-out from the audio card. I want to reduce the number of cables snaking around behind my system.

Unfortunately, while most connectors on motherboards (eg. USB, Firewire, Serial/Parallel ports, FP audio) are standardized, SPDIF headers are not.
All manufacturers follow their own spec. So Asus boards have a 4 pin header, a few have the 3 pin headers (like you described) and Gigabyte has a 5 pin header for In & Out. (Very few manufacturers have SPDIF IN).

What are you connecting this to? TV? AVR?
And what kind of files are you playing?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

What are you connecting this to? TV? AVR? And what kind of files are you playing?

I will be connecting this directly into my TV (LG 60PK550), and will be using SageTV to play most of my media (.mp4, .mkv, .mp3, etc.). It's working great at the moment, except for me wanting to get PC audio directly from the TV (rather than audio card line-out to desktop speakers as I have it currently). I don't have (or want) a full-on receiver, and I want to use the HDMI input on the TV rather than the VGA, but that doesn't give me any way to get an audio-only line linked to that HDMI input.

Thanks to all for the assistance, info, and tips.

I'm going to try trimming the connector later today and see how that goes... fingers crossed!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm...
Trimmed it down, plugged it all in, and nothing.
Even tried flipping the direction on the plugs (multiple times, every variation), as I had read from another user that that had worked for them.
I've double checked the audio control panel, and SPDIF is enabled and on, but nothing seems to work.

Seems like the MoBo should support this sort of SPDIF bridge, but maybe not?

[sigh]
Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there any setting in your TV menu to change from analog audio to digital for HDMI input?
Old 05-27-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Trimming of the header was not necessary. The white header connects to the video card and the 2 pin connects to the motherboard( Pins 2 & 3). The 4 pin connects to nothing.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Your right Mrkazador. Didn't look close enough at the cable picture this morning.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Trimming of the header was not necessary. The white header connects to the video card and the 2 pin connects to the motherboard( Pins 2 & 3). The 4 pin connects to nothing.

Actually, it's not visible in that photo, but the other end of that white connector is sealed (flat ended), with no way to insert the pins.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittnell View Post

Actually, it's not visible in that photo, but the other end of that white connector is sealed (flat ended), with no way to insert the pins.

Really? That is weird...

Did you make spdif the default audio device in windows?
Control Panel- Sounds: Select SPDIF and set to default.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it's just a little splicer/joiner, with no other functionality (though it would be cool if it did).
Old 05-11-2011, 03:18 PM

Hi,

It has been a while since the last post but I will send my solution regardless as it might still help somebody with this issue.

I have an ASUS 9800GT graphics and an ASUS P45 motherboard, the former with a 2-pin connector, and the latter with a 3-pin one. The cable provided with the graphics was exactly the same as on brittnell's picture at the beginning of this thread.

So I had the same problem as he had - no audio via HDMI. After reading through several forums on the web with no useful answer to this and being at wits' end I decided to experiment a bit.

Since the cable has only 2 wires, only 2 pins have to be connected on either end.
The 4-pin cable connector could not fit in the motherboard so I used the 2-pin one, sticking the black wire to the the ground pin and the blue wire to the signal pin.
This had left me with the 4-pin connector for the graphics card. The signal pin was marked with an arrow so I connected it to the blue wire and the other pin to the black one.

It worked.

One more thing:
Before you start playing with your own hardware make sure you check the motherboard's documentation on the exact pin arrangement. And make sure that it is the SPDIF-OUT connector, not SPDIF-IN as there was some confusion about it earlier in the thread. The same goes for the the graphics card - checkits manual to be sure about the pins' functions.

Cheers,
Lukas