Simultaneous HDMI and Analog Audio Out - Is it possible? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 112 Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow I had no idea this would become so complicated. I have tried the "stereo mix" trick but the delay annoys me. I have also tried virtual audio cable but was not impressed with the sound quality and it seemed to have a sound delay as well.

I just ordered an HDMI splitter (1 in / 2 out) and will be sending a second signal to a second receiver. I realize this is not practical for some people but my Zone 2 has 6 speakers so I figured it would be beneficial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 Old 12-26-2012, 08:10 AM

I am able to play via HDMI and Analog output as long as the application allows you to select the audio device output. My default Audio device is HDMI, so all applications will play via my 5.1 channel speakers. My zone 2 will only play if the application allows me to choose the 2-stereo output. It would be great if there was an app that allows you to change the audio output per open application. For example I would like to watch a movie via WMP with HDMI but play pandora on IE and output to my zone2 speakers. It really sucks that this issue is not fixed on windows 8. mad.gif
post #93 of 112 Old 12-30-2012, 11:23 AM

Liked: 13
What provide's the best AQ HDMI or analoge output?
My AVR has both ports but I want the best.
post #94 of 112 Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 AM

Hi, i just received http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHS8LD8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 for playing spotify on my pc via hdmi in main zone and via analog in zone 2 simultaneously. Works great. Since I only use my pc for Spotify, I didn't mind the fact that only 2 channel sources could be extracted through the rca output on the gadget. But I tried configuring the hdmi out to 5.1 (under "sound" in windows) and it actually works anyway. I watched a streamed movie with 5.1 sound, then changed to analog audio input on the avr and listened to music.
Sorry if I say something that has already been said, didn't read the whole thread. Also, I live in sweden so english is not mother tongue for me
post #95 of 112 Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I found this and tried it, (Have a Realtek ALC892 Codec). It sounded promising, but all I got on the speaker (analog) was a pinned green bar (full volume) and the sound of feedback.....wrang, wrang, wrang, wrang. I really wanted this to work as when the wife goes to bed I need to switch over to my headphones which take analog out.

http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_make_Windows_Vista/7_output_analog_and_digital_sound_at_the_same_time&redirect=no
post #96 of 112 Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So I read through the entire thread and let me see if my understanding is correct. Example: Assuming I have both HDMI and stereo analog going from the pc to my receiver and have my pc playback device set to "speakers" and within Foobar set output as HDMI then audio will be passed from both the HDMI and analog out to the receiver? I too want to be able to play music out to zone 2 and have it be the same as what I'm listening to in zone 1. I can't try it out right now because I don't currently have it wired up yet.
post #97 of 112 Old 05-11-2013, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 227
JRiver Media Center shouldn't have any trouble doing this via its Zones feature.
post #98 of 112 Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 AM

It sounds like what is really needed is a driver that provides a target device to which one sets their default and the driver simply duplicates the stream and sends it to two actual output drivers simultaneously with the need, perhaps, to down mix 5.1 to stereo if the analog device driver can't automatically down mix.
post #99 of 112 Old 05-11-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 834
I know this is something that "should work" but I found the same issue and solved it. How I solved it ?

I have a seperate machine for music. lol. It's probably not ideal but it works flawlessly.

That way I can play a movie and also run music in another part of house. I have my desktop hooked up as the audio player. It's got all my music on it anyways.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #100 of 112 Old 05-11-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I know this is something that "should work" but I found the same issue and solved it. How I solved it ?

I have a seperate machine for music. lol. It's probably not ideal but it works flawlessly.

That way I can play a movie and also run music in another part of house. I have my desktop hooked up as the audio player. It's got all my music on it anyways.
I mentioned it before in another topic when you were telling me how an SSD makes such a difference to the media center software you were using (shouldn't be necessary at all) - you really need to try JRiver Media Center.
It's easy to send audio to as many devices as you want simultaneously, whether you want the audio linked between zones or independent, or do things like split up a single multichannel device so that it's treated as separate zones. (currently supports up to 32-channels per device)

I don't know that you can link video between zones, but you can easily send different video to different zones as well. It's incredibly powerful.
I have no affiliation with them, I'm just incredibly impressed with how good the software is, and surprised that it doesn't get recommended as often - probably because it isn't free. rolleyes.gif
post #101 of 112 Old 05-11-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have tried Jriver and it's pretty great software.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #102 of 112 Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have tried Jriver and it's pretty great software.
I'm surprised you found the need to set up a new machine just for music playback then.
post #103 of 112 Old 05-11-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's more just having a machine for music.... and using another for HTPC so they can be used simultanously. Also the location is different. I have a large music collection, and it's all on my desktop. Punching that into the Denon AVR3312 via HDMI just made sense.

I too had assassin issue when I was using a single machine.

-

post #104 of 112 Old 05-11-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's more just having a machine for music.... and using another for HTPC so they can be used simultanously.
That's exactly what JRiver's Zone feature is for.
Quote:

Also the location is different. I have a large music collection, and it's all on my desktop.
Networked devices can also be set up as zones.
post #105 of 112 Old 05-11-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

i'll have to play more with it. Thanks for the advice

-

post #106 of 112 Old 07-18-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I may have found the solution to playing HDMI and Anolog out for zone 2 playback at the same time on Windows 7 devices. Watch this Youtube video: Simultaneous Audio Out. I haven't had time to verify everything is as it should be, however the instructions did produce both the analog audio out to my zone 2 and the 5.1 HDMI for zone 1. I still need to try more sources to make sure the 5.1 is playing as it should (right levels, correct channel output etc) but upon first listen it sounds right. Please try this and report back to see if it works for you. Here's what the Youtube video says to do in case you don't want to watch:

1. clicking on your speaker icon choose "playback devices" and choose speakers as default
2. click on the recording tab up top and choose "Stereo Mix". If Stereo Mix isn't there right click and choose "Show disabled devices"
3. right click "stereo mix" and enable
4. then right click stereo mix and choose properties. Click on the "Listen" tab and put a check mark in the "Listen to this device" box.
5. still in the stereo mix properties there's a drop down for selecting "Playback through this device". Choose your HDMI output.

Following these five steps now I have two outputs shown for my audio and get zone 2 analog and HDMI to zone 1 working at the same time.

Once again see if you get this to work too and let's make sure we're getting both zones audio as it should be.

Edit: After running tests I've found the HDMI sound only comes out as stereo which my receiver then matrixed into a fake surround. Back to the drawing board. As a workaround I've set my Onkyo to bi-amp my front speakers and connected my zone 2 speakers to the bi-amp inputs assigned to get them to work as a second set of front speakers. Not ideal but it works. For me this eliminated the ability to use my surround back speakers.
post #107 of 112 Old 07-21-2013, 02:25 AM

Hi I think this trick has been mentioned before in the thread. The problem is that all sound will come out as stereo??
post #108 of 112 Old 07-21-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

As I said before, download a trial of JRiver, and look into using its "Zones" feature.
You can set up any number of devices to do this at once, and it works rather well.

Zones can be linked together or operated independently - e.g. send all multichannel audio to an AVR via HDMI, all stereo music to a USB DAC.
post #109 of 112 Old 07-21-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekarn View Post

Hi I think this trick has been mentioned before in the thread. The problem is that all sound will come out as stereo??

You're correct. I was getting sound out of all my speakers but it wasn't right. What's happening is its coming out as stereo like you said and my Onkyo receiver is applying a fake surround to it.
post #110 of 112 Old 03-29-2014, 04:47 PM

Ok I have an Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 motherboard with the Realtek AC892 Audio chipset.

I have a EVGA GTX570 video card that I have connected to a Samsung LN-32C530 HDTV via HDMI. (Interestingly I was using one of its DVI output's and contrary to some posts in certain instances DVI can carry audio, as I had a DVI-HDMI cable connected PC to TV and I could select Audio out to the TV over the DVI port).

I have an old home stereo that I have connected to the speaker out (basic 2 channel stereo) on my motherboard, via a DAK Impedence matching transforming (highly recommend for a cheap way to connect PC to stereo without all the buzz and hum).

After going to the above HDTV for my PC monitor I realized the advantages of the HDMI connection to carry sound to the HDTV (vs. the LCD monitor only that it replaced and the desktop PC speakers that croaked). 

Anyway just recently I got the bug to play audio over both the HDTV and my home stereo. 

I encountered various forums and tried the typically referenced option of enabling the hidded recording device in Windows 7, "Stereo Mix" and selecting the "listen" and mapping it to my HDMI output to my TV. It worked...sort of. The problem was the intolerable delay of between half a second and a second.

I updated the Realtek drivers from Realtek directly (ASUS only vetted the original driver the motherboard shipped with), as some suggested that may remove the latency. It did not work. 

Anyway for consumer use and non-professional applications I think the virtual audio cable from http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm#history may satsify the majority of home users, barring purrist audiophiles. 

Right now I am satisfied with the quality and sync using the "Virtual Audio Cable> Audio Repeater (Kernel Streaming version 1.82) with the Realtek HD Audio Stereo Input as the "Wave In" source and NVIDIA High Definition Audio (HDMI) as the wave out feature. It is set to Stereo with a 48kHz sample rate at 16 bits and a 5 ms buffer. The psychoacoustics of the delay in combination with the distances between the speakers in my living room is such that the delay/lag/latency is to me not just tolerable, but unnoticeable. 

I am listening to the Lorde album as I type this, and had to adjust the levels as it sounded like the speakers in the TV were being over-driven. At first I thought maybe the software was showing a fault with sound degradation, but I think it was just the volume level was too high.

Anyway for a rough and dirty solution I have to say this virtual audio cable probam worked pretty well. I don't know how long the trial period is, but if it continues to work I'll likely buy it.

So I'd give it a try.

post #111 of 112 Old 03-29-2014, 05:09 PM

Update...I guess it is a bug in the software. I just noticed some buzzing and had to stop the Audio Repeater. Upon restarting the buzzing went away. So still a bit buggy. But this proves the concept is doable. Just a matter of someone cracking the nut with software.

post #112 of 112 Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Did anyone try the suggestion of looping the receivers Tapeout/pre out back into the an input that is usable by Zone 2?

is there any risk to the receiver in doing this?

thanks

If you ain't a Gator, then you must be GATOR BAIT!!!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page