MPC-HC Subtitle Help!? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, so I recently got MPC-HC up and running and with a lot of help from folks in here it's working great. With links provided I was able to configure some shaders too that make BD and DVD look great...so thanks!!

But now I have problem that before I thought I knew how to solve. I was watching District 9 BD and it doesn't play the default subtitles when the prawns speak. So in poking around I enabled english subtitles. But that makes subtitles for everyone in the movie. The movie when played in PDVD defaults to only the prawn subtitle. I thought that being able to use the discs menu would let me do that but it turns out that MPC-HC will not give the discs menu.

So how do I get MPC-HC to only play default subtitles and not every spoken word subtitle? And please note, I have no idea what I'm doing-LOL.

dudeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 01:52 PM

district 9 has forced subtitles.

there are a couple of ways you can get them. makemkv and Another EACto GUI (a tutorial) can both add forced subtitles.

for either ways, you'll need the blu-ray in iso or folder format.

EDIT: whoops, i'm assuming you ripped the movie? if not, i'm not sure how to fix it then. i thought if read from a disc, forced subtitles should just work.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Actually at first I made an ISO, and it didn't work but haved ripped it now, and still not. But did not make MKV when I ripped, I used DVDFab and just ripped like DVD main movie.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 02:57 PM

ah, yep. the .m2ts file won't play forced subtitles (or regular subtitles i believe) either.

forced subtitles are kinda annoying.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well when it's in ISO format it's just like playing the disc........no? Iconverted the files I had ripped back to ISO format and played with PDVD and the subtitles are there. So, it's a problem with MPC-HC.

dudeman
post #6 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

What about DirectVobSub? Been doing some reading...does it work?

dudeman
post #7 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Yes it works as I mentioned in your other post. I also fixed the link sorry my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

D9 uses forced subs so you will either have to use some kind of third party player as the op suggested. Or you can remux the movie into an mkv container with the subs. There is a discussion on this here and members are contributing different ways to get forced subs working using MPC-HC. As for me I use directvobsub to playback forced subs in MPC-HC.

If your bent on menus then you have no choice but to go with third party players, but I like the Aero FX and don't like my desktop dropping out when starting a movie using TMT or PDVD if your using an ATi card.

post #8 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

Yes it works as I mentioned in your other post. I also fixed the link sorry my bad.

Thanks, I have vobsub "installed"....meaning I put the vsfilter.dll in syswow64 and added it as an external filter in mpc-hc, but can't get it to work.I will read the thread you link but have read others and hve it setup as they suggest with turning off subs in mpc-hc and selecting use forced subs only in vobsub.

When I add the filter it actually adds 2 one is plain vobsub and other one says vobsub (automatically loaded. I've been playing around with checking prefer and other settings, but it just doesn't seem to be setup right. Lemme read your thread but if you could post a screenie or 2 of your setup, maybe I could get it going. I'm kind a visual person so screenies really help.....

Thank you

dudeman
post #9 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

@ Nimo, thanks for the thread link, but I really didn't want to go through all the remuxing and so on it describes there. Can't we just get vobsub to work without all that?

My goal when I started all of this (like in my other thread) was to simply remove the 3/8 inch black bars that PDVD9 makes when plating fullscreen movies...solved. Then to get the bitstream working...solved. So now if I could just get this last little hurdle it would be great!! Because mpc-hc gets rid of the black, I have the shaders setup so it looks great, and it's bitstreaming so it sounds great. I am able to rip anyway I want, so that's great. But don't want to go through all kinds of ripping muxing when all I started out wanting was the black gone and good sound. Sorry to vent, but I'm just a little frustrated.

Anyway, thanks again and hopefully with help from all the peeps (who know way more than me) in these rooms, we can get this going.

dudeman
post #10 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
No need to mux anything you can do it on the fly but it takes just a little work. Put the disc in with anydvd and launch ClownBD. You need to convert the .sup file after you extract the file using ClownBD. Just extract the subtitles and uncheck everything else except for languages and make sure "Forced Subs" is ticked or when it's blue. Then use BDSup2Sub to convert the .sup file to .idx it will make two files put those files in a folder. When you launch the player click on the green arrow from your taskbar and find the .idx file you just put into your folder. Click on the .idx file so it loads and your done. Look for these two files.You don't even need to rip your disc just play it on the fly using MPC-HC's open DVD command.

I just finished with Sherlock Holmes that one was a little tricky. It defaults to the Directors comments when you use MPC-HC. So in this instance I used ClownBD again this time to make one .m2ts file after extracting out the Directors tracks. Did a fine job of stitching up the files into just one with no errors. If you Luv MPC-HC as much as I do then working for certain movies is well worth the effort, and you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor in the end.

Good Luck!
post #11 of 11 Old 06-06-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, but I give up. I even tried to uninstall mpc-hc and then install Shark's mpc-hc and and both his codecs and x64 add-ons and it didn't work. In fact something was messed up in his player that wouldn't let me resize the image. So I re-installed the mpc-hc that I had before and now have that capabilty back. When I selected Shark's settings in the setup screen for his codecs, it added ffdshow subtitles to external filters, which didn't work either.

The closest I got to thinking it was going to work was when I set the output to VMR9 and then vobsub showed up in filters when I right clicked with movie playing, otherwise it never even shows up in filters right click menu.

@Nimo, thanks again but as I said I got into this to just get rid of the black bars and then one step further to get the hd audio going but I don't want to go through any more steps to extract subtitle files etc. Thie time I've spent (wasted actually) trying to get subtitles working was too much already. And I don't love mpc-hc all that much. It actually doesn't look quite as good as PDVD 9, (except for the little bars) but I prolly don't have it setup right.

It was an easy install to get mpc-hc going and reletively easy to get the hd audio working. I actually would of had that working right away, but missed a step so it took a little longer. But this subtitle thing is just too much. Until someone can make it plug and play I'll just use PDVD for any movies that have forced subs. I may even look into trying to fix the black bars in PDVD and the fact that I can't open BD rips with it. But I'm prolly not doing something right there too. If anyone knows how to do that please let me know!!! I may open another thread for that. But I won't spend too much time on that either.

So I'll use mpc-hc for rips for movies with no forced subs and use PDVD for everything else. So thanks again to all tose who tried to help. And again, if anyone has any ideas about PDVD, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

dudeman
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page