Remote to Close/Exit Windows Media Center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I am using an Anyware/AVS Gear gp-ir02bk remote to control Windows 7 Media Center. I don't just use my HTPC for Media Center, so when I am done, I close the program, but keep the computer running.

The issue with this remote is that there is no button to exit / close media center, only a Power button that puts the computer in sleep mode.

How do you exit Windows Media Center using a remote?

Thanks

EDIT: I'm using a Logitech Harmony 880 to control everything, so when I press "off" on the Logitech, I don't want to have to go over to my computer and manually close the program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I do this with Eventghost (I use Eventghost to go straight into various Media Center entry points and open/close other apps, based on different remote inputs). I setup a macro that finds the MediaCenter window and closes it. I have that macro setup to run when it detects a certain remote button (you could use one of the red/yellow/green/blue MC remote buttons for this, for example). You could do all kinds of things from here.

edit: since you said you use a harmony, you have a bunch more options. You could setup Eventghost to run that close media center macro based on any IR code you want. I use a URC remote and have my 'close down media center' macro programmed to one of those red/yellow/green/blue mc remote buttons. I don't know about programming a harmony, but I'd imagine that you could set it up so when you press the off button, from within your 'Media Center' activity that it sends out your 'close media center' button, instead of a 'Turn the computer off' command, that you setup in eventghost.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-10-2010, 04:45 PM

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/p/63116/314788.aspx

scroll about half way down. it'll have you create a .inf and will map the blue button to alt-f4 which would close media center.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-10-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have an Adesso remote. It has a close button on it that works perfectly. I think it's just an ALT+F4 bind as stated above.

HOWEVER, the Adesso remote/IR receiver require NO DRIVERS in Windows and this button still works. The fact that there is no 'close' button on the official media center remote or most copycat remotes boggles my mind.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 04:48 AM

Could you not just select shutdown then close from the tasks menu ?
post #6 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 05:22 AM

Go the the Tasks menu in WMC and select Close.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinePhil View Post

Could you not just select shutdown then close from the tasks menu ?

That's what I was thinking. I know Windows encourages all kinds of different complicated hacks for things, but the other suggestions seem like a great deal of work to avoid two or three button clicks.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post

I do this with Eventghost (I use Eventghost to go straight into various Media Center entry points and open/close other apps, based on different remote inputs). I setup a macro that finds the MediaCenter window and closes it. I have that macro setup to run when it detects a certain remote button (you could use one of the red/yellow/green/blue MC remote buttons for this, for example). You could do all kinds of things from here.

How do you setup the Eventghost macro to find the Media Center window and close it? I know how to set it up to close the current window, but not specifically Media Center.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Imon remote can do pretty much anything you want it to through the Imon-manager, I have replace the remote with a Harmony One and it works great.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooner View Post

How do you setup the Eventghost macro to find the Media Center window and close it? I know how to set it up to close the current window, but not specifically Media Center.

That's the primary reason I do it this way (i.e. so I can close media center even if it is not in the foreground).

The first thing I did with Eventghost is remove all the stuff that comes in a default installation, like the stuff to control ZoomPlayer and emulate keyboard strokes. If all you're doing is starting/closing apps, you don't need any of that.

You create a Macro (I called mine 'Close Media Center'). Inside that macro are 3 things, 1 'Event' and 2 'Actions'. The first action is a 'Find Window' action (when you add an action, to a macro, it brings a list of different ones you can pick. Find Window is one of them). Find Window can find a window a bunch of different ways. It can look for the name of the executable running, the title of the window and a few other things. When you add the Find Window action, you can drag this little cursor thingy over to your media center window and it will set it all up for you. After that, I have a 'Close' action. The Close action just closes whatever Find Window found (you can set Find Window up to terminate the macro if it doesn't find the window you're looking for).

The Event you put in there would be the Event that occurs when you press a certain button on your remote. You could also do something like put in a 'Sleep' event so it shuts down when the computer goes to sleep, if you wanted that. The only other thing you would have to make sure is that the macro is enabled all the time. I put it in a folder of macros and have an 'Enable: my macros' action happen on eventghost startup.

It works pretty good. I only just recently switched to Media Center, so I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks with it, but I used a very similar setup with my own frontend for over a year with no troubles.

Setting this up sounds more complicated than it really is. Eventghost is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. Just remember to keep everything as simple as possible. It's easy to overly complicate your eventghost setup and cause problems.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

That works great, thanks!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page