Netflix on HTPC - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 394 Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you're running into C&Q issues, you can use phenommsrtweaker to weak the power states without disabling power saving completely.
http://phenommsrtweake.sourceforge.net/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 394 Old 02-12-2011, 07:52 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWill View Post

If you're running into C&Q issues, you can use phenommsrtweaker to weak the power states without disabling power saving completely.
http://phenommsrtweake.sourceforge.net/

Cool. Might try that.
post #363 of 394 Old 02-12-2011, 08:13 AM

Liked: 12
i tried disabling all power saving methods a few months ago and it seemed to work a little. however, lately the juddering has been worse than ever...
post #364 of 394 Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1
i tried disabling all power saving methods a few months ago and it seemed to work a little. however, lately the juddering has been worse than ever...
Hmmm then you must have another problem.
post #365 of 394 Old 02-17-2011, 06:36 PM

So it has been enough time to try my new settings of disabling power saving features. The netflix and hulu experience are great now. My ps3 still looks better for hd though. Anyway, my family rarely sits and watches tv all day. So the Htpc goes into sleep and only starts if it is recording something, I think that is good powersaving. Wish it would work as intended but this is just what I have to do for now. Does anyone have any other ideas for the streaming video issue I would appreciate it.

Asus mb
Phenom II x2 555 3.2ghz
Gt430 1gb
8gb dram
230 gb os harddrive sata II
Shark007 codecs
Win7 64 home premium
Panny 50" plasma

Only time netflix plays smooth with powersaving is when I unlock all 4 cores. However doing so causes wierd bright pixels. I know my system is powerful enough but am I going to need to get a more powerful CPU?
post #366 of 394 Old 02-17-2011, 07:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierbri10 View Post

So it has been enough time to try my new settings of disabling power saving features. The netflix and hulu experience are great now. My ps3 still looks better for hd though. Anyway, my family rarely sits and watches tv all day. So the Htpc goes into sleep and only starts if it is recording something, I think that is good powersaving. Wish it would work as intended but this is just what I have to do for now. Does anyone have any other ideas for the streaming video issue I would appreciate it.

Asus mb
Phenom II x2 555 3.2ghz
Gt430 1gb
8gb dram
230 gb os harddrive sata II
Shark007 codecs
Win7 64 home premium
Panny 50" plasma

Only time netflix plays smooth with powersaving is when I unlock all 4 cores. However doing so causes wierd bright pixels. I know my system is powerful enough but am I going to need to get a more powerful CPU?

I wouldn't think so. I also have a locked Phenom X2 (same pixelation problems when unlocked) with power savings on and have no apparent issues. Maybe it depends on the power saving settings though. I have mine go into hibernate after an hour of inactivity.
post #367 of 394 Old 04-14-2011, 07:52 AM

theres a new beta of Silverlight 5.0

http://filehippo.com/download_silverlight/

# Improved media support and rich UI capabilities:
* Hardware Decode and presentation of H.264 improve performance for lower-power devices to render high-definition video using GPU support.
* TrickPlay allows video to be played at different speeds and supports fast-forward and rewind. At up to twice the speed, audio pitch correction allows users to watch videos while preserving a normal audio pitch.
* Improved power awareness prevents the screen saver from being shown while watching video and allows the computer to sleep when video is not active.
* Remote-control support allows users to control media playback.
* Digital rights management advancements allow seamless switching between DRM media sources.

# Building next-generation business applications:
* Text improvements make it possible to build rich magazine-style text layouts:
- Multicolumn text and linked text container allow text to flow around other elements.
- Tracking/leading set precisely how far apart each character is for full creative control.
- Text clarity is improved with Pixel Snapping.
- Text layout performance is significantly improved.
- OpenType support has been enhanced.
* Applications can now work the way users expect with added support for double-click and Combobox type ahead.
* Model View ViewModel (MVVM) and Databinding enhancements allow more work to be done more easily via XAML:
- Debugging support now allows breakpoints to be set on a binding, so you can step through binding failures.
- Implicit DataTemplates allow templates to be created across an application to support a particular type by default.
- Ancestor RelativeSource allows, for example, a DataTemplate to bind to a property on the control that contains it.
- Binding in style setters allows bindings to be used within styles to reference other properties.
- The DataContextChanged event is being introduced. Markup extensions allow code to be run at XAML parse time for both properties and event handlers, enabling cutting-edge MVVM support.

# Networking and Windows Communication Foundation enhancements:
* Reduced network latency by using a background thread for networking.

# Performance improvements include:
* XAML parser improvements that speed up startup and runtime performance.
* Support for 64-bit operating systems.

# Graphics improvements:
* Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) accelerated 3-D application programming interface (API) provides rich graphics on the Web for building advanced data visualizations and rich user experience (UI).
* Immediate mode graphics API allows direct rendering to the GPU.
* Hardware acceleration is enabled in windowless mode with Internet Explorer 9.

# Extends features of the ‘Trusted Application’ model to the browser for the first time. These features, when enabled via a group policy registry key and an application certificate, mean users won’t need to leave the browser to perform complex tasks:
* Host HTML content as a Web browser control within the Silverlight application. HTML pages, such as help content or e-mail, can be integrated within the application.
* Read and write files to the user’s My Documents folder, making it easier to find media files or create local copies of reports.
* Launch Microsoft Office and other desktop programs. Users can open Microsoft Outlook and create an e-mail message, or send a report to Word utilizing the power of Office.
* Access devices and other system capabilities by calling into application COM components. Users can access a USB security card reader or a bar-code scanner.
* Enjoy full keyboard support in full screen, which enables richer kiosk and media viewing applications.
* Call existing unmanaged code directly from within Silverlight with PInvoke.

# Tools improvements include:
* Microsoft Visual Studio profiling support including CPU, memory, thread contention.
* Visual Studio Team Test support.
post #368 of 394 Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

# Improved media support and rich UI capabilities:
* Hardware Decode and presentation of H.264 improve performance for lower-power devices to render high-definition video using GPU support.
* TrickPlay allows video to be played at different speeds and supports fast-forward and rewind. At up to twice the speed, audio pitch correction allows users to watch videos while preserving a normal audio pitch.
* Improved power awareness prevents the screen saver from being shown while watching video and allows the computer to sleep when video is not active.
* Remote-control support allows users to control media playback.
* Digital rights management advancements allow seamless switching between DRM media sources.

# Building next-generation business applications:
* Text improvements make it possible to build rich magazine-style text layouts:
- Multicolumn text and linked text container allow text to flow around other elements.
- Tracking/leading set precisely how far apart each character is for full creative control.
- Text clarity is improved with Pixel Snapping.
- Text layout performance is significantly improved.
- OpenType support has been enhanced.
* Applications can now work the way users expect with added support for double-click and Combobox type ahead.
* Model View ViewModel (MVVM) and Databinding enhancements allow more work to be done more easily via XAML:
- Debugging support now allows breakpoints to be set on a binding, so you can step through binding failures.
- Implicit DataTemplates allow templates to be created across an application to support a particular type by default.
- Ancestor RelativeSource allows, for example, a DataTemplate to bind to a property on the control that contains it.
- Binding in style setters allows bindings to be used within styles to reference other properties.
- The DataContextChanged event is being introduced. Markup extensions allow code to be run at XAML parse time for both properties and event handlers, enabling cutting-edge MVVM support.

# Networking and Windows Communication Foundation enhancements:

# Performance improvements include:
* XAML parser improvements that speed up startup and runtime performance.
* Support for 64-bit operating systems.

# Graphics improvements:
* Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) accelerated 3-D application programming interface (API) provides rich graphics on the Web for building advanced data visualizations and rich user experience (UI).
* Immediate mode graphics API allows direct rendering to the GPU.
* Hardware acceleration is enabled in windowless mode with Internet Explorer 9.

# Extends features of the 'Trusted Application' model to the browser for the first time. These features, when enabled via a group policy registry key and an application certificate, mean users won't need to leave the browser to perform complex tasks:
* Host HTML content as a Web browser control within the Silverlight application. HTML pages, such as help content or e-mail, can be integrated within the application.
* Read and write files to the user's My Documents folder, making it easier to find media files or create local copies of reports.
* Launch Microsoft Office and other desktop programs. Users can open Microsoft Outlook and create an e-mail message, or send a report to Word utilizing the power of Office.
* Access devices and other system capabilities by calling into application COM components. Users can access a USB security card reader or a bar-code scanner.
* Enjoy full keyboard support in full screen, which enables richer kiosk and media viewing applications.
* Call existing unmanaged code directly from within Silverlight with PInvoke.

# Tools improvements include:
* Microsoft Visual Studio profiling support including CPU, memory, thread contention.
* Visual Studio Team Test support.

Wow that fixed my stuttering. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
post #369 of 394 Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Just watching some different shows and the HD is not as crisp as my ps3. However, it is acceptable. I figure the crispness is a netflix thing. I did start one show that had a bit of chop but it was the only show so far. I am guessing it is how it was encoded by netflix. 200% improvement can't wait to see how it is once out of beta.
post #370 of 394 Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierbri10 View Post

Just watching some different shows and the HD is not as crisp as my ps3. However, it is acceptable. I figure the crispness is a netflix thing. I did start one show that had a bit of chop but it was the only show so far. I am guessing it is how it was encoded by netflix. 200% improvement can't wait to see how it is once out of beta.

netflix limits the bitrate of PC streaming
post #371 of 394 Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

*snip*

The official link is at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=213904. And remember that this is a beta geared towards developers. It's meant for developers to try out the new features.
post #372 of 394 Old 04-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

I gave up on the Netflix plug-in in WMC ages ago since I bought a new TV with Netflix built in. There are more movies in HD when using a "Netflix Device" compared to what's available for PC and the bitrate is higher. It's nice that Silverlight is moving forward and if this beta fixes the stutter/judder that's great but it doesn't negate the 2 reasons I moved away from it to begin with.

I've got to say that the Netflix quality, even for SD feeds, when using the built in Netflix on my TV is better than my cable provides.
post #373 of 394 Old 04-14-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Any audio improvement? Any DD and/or DTS now?
post #374 of 394 Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:

...Wish it would work as intended but this is just what I have to do for now. Does anyone have any other ideas for the streaming video issue I would appreciate it.

DISABLE YOUR VIRUS PROTECTION PROGRAM BEFORE YOU BEGIN WATCHING A MOVIE. It worked for me. Much smoother playback after disabling virus protection because it wasn't taxing the processor(s). That was verified by opening task manager/performance tab and witnessing the cpu usage %. When my virus app. was running, cpu usage was high and judder was unacceptable. When I disabled it, cpu usage dropped and playback was is MUCH better. YMMV.
post #375 of 394 Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrowe View Post

DISABLE YOUR VIRUS PROTECTION PROGRAM BEFORE YOU BEGIN WATCHING A MOVIE. It worked for me. Much smoother playback after disabling virus protection because it wasn't taxing the processor(s). That was verified by opening task manager/performance tab and witnessing the cpu usage %. When my virus app. was running, cpu usage was high and judder was unacceptable. When I disabled it, cpu usage dropped and playback was is MUCH better. YMMV.

Good points, I don't use any virus protection on my HTPC, never have. The silverlight beta 5.0 fixed the judder problem though I haven't tried to reenable the power saving features yet though. I will when I get the time.
post #376 of 394 Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Any audio improvement? Any DD and/or DTS now?

Wish I could help you with this question but I have no idea. Hope this bump will find someone to help.
post #377 of 394 Old 09-21-2011, 07:53 AM

Bumping this thread since I am having this issue on my HTPC still.

Really sucks. Going to try out a few things tonight and see if I can fix it.
post #378 of 394 Old 09-21-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried the SL 5 beta? It fixed the issue for me.
post #379 of 394 Old 09-25-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Have you tried the SL 5 beta? It fixed the issue for me.

The SL 5 beta seems to have worked for me too. Don't know why I did not try it before. Had gave up on Netflix streaming for a while...looks good now.

Scott
post #380 of 394 Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
FYI - I'm not having any judder with Silverlight 4.0. My complete specs: Win7 SP1 (32-bit), SL 4.0.60531, AMD 785 chipset w 4200 IGP, Catalyst 11.08.
post #381 of 394 Old 10-13-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Can anyone else using AMD hardware who isn't experiencing judder/stutter/whatever you want to call a lack of smooth panning w/Netflix in a browser please provide their setup including Catalyst version?

I was hoping upgrading my GPU would solve my problems, but no such luck. Tried both Silverlight 4 and the 5 beta, and the A/V Stats indicate that GPU acceleration is being used in both cases, but it's just terribly jerky.

Win7 SP1 x64
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5
Catalyst 11.9
IE9 & Firefox 7.0.1
post #382 of 394 Old 10-14-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Can anyone else using AMD hardware who isn't experiencing judder/stutter/whatever you want to call a lack of smooth panning w/Netflix in a browser please provide their setup including Catalyst version?

I was hoping upgrading my GPU would solve my problems, but no such luck. Tried both Silverlight 4 and the 5 beta, and the A/V Stats indicate that GPU acceleration is being used in both cases, but it's just terribly jerky.

Win7 SP1 x64
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5
Catalyst 11.9
IE9 & Firefox 7.0.1

A/V Stats is wrong then, because Silverlight 4 does not use the GPU for video decoding. You may be seeing GPU activity for the rendering of the Netflix UI. What does your CPU usage look like during playback?
post #383 of 394 Old 10-14-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Ah, I guess it's only referring to acceleration of resizing etc. With Silverlight 5 the CPU usage for the process is 51% max with Power Saver on. I typically use High Performance and the highest I've seen was 28% process/50% system.
post #384 of 394 Old 10-18-2011, 03:58 PM

I guess most people are sticking to the streaming side of netflix after the split?
post #385 of 394 Old 10-20-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I have been testing out my current PC for HTPC usage -
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Athlon 1090t
Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Catalyst 11.9
Sliverlight 5

I was testing netflix thru wmc and I rec'd alot of jidder/stutter.

Is it something with amd chipset/catalyst drivers?

Also the source for Tron says:
http://movies.netflix.com/layout/sil...v=2.1083.089.1

Does this mean it is using silverlight 4?

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #386 of 394 Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

I was testing netflix thru wmc and I rec'd alot of jidder/stutter.

Is it something with amd chipset/catalyst drivers?

Probably not. Many people have issues with Netflx on PC (Silverlight). Does watching it in Chrome or Firefox make any changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Also the source for Tron says:
http://movies.netflix.com/layout/sil...v=2.1083.089.1

Does this mean it is using silverlight 4?

Yes. SL5 is still in RC, it is not final. Netflix's site is still all designed and optimized for SL4.
post #387 of 394 Old 10-21-2011, 05:31 PM

As far as streaming via FF or Chrome, it may just be my imagination, but I do seem to get a little better performance using Chrome; however, the past several months or so, I don't have any more judder problems at all for whatever reason (strictly pc wise) using either. Again, as I mentioned earlier, as a course of habit I disable my virus protection whilst streaming due to it taking up processor/cpu resources and thus get way better video performance (there is more taxation on system cpu performance than graphics processor performance when streaming video contrary to popular opinion...at least from what I've been able to discern from actual performance as well as from what I've read). YMMV.
post #388 of 394 Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 PM

Sorry for necro, I tried all of the things in this post and what really helped get a smooth video on Netflix HD with my 5670 video card was to tweak the power options in windows 7 control panel. Hope this helps to all ppl that had problems.
post #389 of 394 Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 AM

I've been playing with Netflix on my 3 PCs for the last 2 weeks, under WMC and Internet Explorer. I have an early Atom netbook, an E-350 HTPC and an Athlon II X4 645 desktop. We all know about the problems with Netflix/Silverlight so I won't go into that other than to say that I have achieved smooth playback at bit rates of 1050 on the Atom, 1750 on the E-350 and 3600 on the Athlon.

One thing I have noticed that I can't find mentioned on the internet is that regardless of the PC I am using, A/V Stats shows on the //HTTP line that when running Netflix under IE, Silverlight 5 is referenced:
(http://movies.netflix.com/layout/sil...2.1358.314.2-2)
while when running under WMC, Silverlight 4 appears
(http://www2.netflix.com/pages/watchn....xap?v=1315207).

I can only assume this proves that the WMC Netflix add-on has not yet been updated to utilize the capabilities of Silverlight 5.

Has anyone else noticed this?
post #390 of 394 Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 PM

Since this thread is getting a bit of attention now, I suppose I'll throw up my own question.

I quit Netflix when they separated their streaming plan from the mail order one. I'd come back for streaming if htpc's could stream with 5.1 surround sound. At the time I quit this wasn't possible (only stereo was possible). Is it possible to do so yet, and if not, are there even rumors of it being possible anytime soon?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page