Anyone know of a program for streaming NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and so on? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm dreaming of a program that connects to MLB.tv, NBA Leaguepass NFL Gamepass and NHL Gamcenter and lets you use your subscriptions to these sites to stream their live games. Something very simple like the MLB-app for Boxee:

I believe that a dedicated application be a better choise then just creating plugins for a special mediacenter program because then we could all use it no matter what program you're using, be it Boxee, Mediaportal, XBMC or WMC.

Maybe not even an application, but a good HTML5 website that is remote friendly, that way we could even use it across various operating systems.

There is a norwegian TV station that has a remote friendly website for it's internet conten it's not the best site, but it show that it's possible:

http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/iptv/

Does such a thing exist, and if not is there anyone in a position to get the various leagues to work together to create it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
One option to look at is Play On. Although their main thrust is to re-encode online video for DLNA capable players, they are also looking at offering the ability to just straight stream (non-DRM) files that the players attaching to it can natively play.

In any case, I know they are working to collate all the various sport feeds across the net.

Although my PC can play the streams natively, I still connect to online videos through Play On because of the simplicity of having them all collated in one, remote friendly spot.

-Suntan
post #3 of 17 Old 06-15-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

One option to look at is Play On. Although their main thrust is to re-encode online video for DLNA capable players, they are also looking at offering the ability to just straight stream (non-DRM) files that the players attaching to it can natively play.

In any case, I know they are working to collate all the various sport feeds across the net.

Although my PC can play the streams natively, I still connect to online videos through Play On because of the simplicity of having them all collated in one, remote friendly spot.

-Suntan

how about a slingbox?
post #4 of 17 Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scott View Post

how about a slingbox?

I thought a slingbox was used to record Tv signals off your cable box and send it out to a computer on the internet.

How would this help in getting a bunch of disjointed internet video feeds aggregated into one place on a computer?

-Suntan
post #5 of 17 Old 06-15-2010, 05:49 PM

They just announced that you can stream all that stuff on the Xbox (granted that you have a gold account.. ~$35/yr). Check that you subscribe to an ESPN affliliate cable service at http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList

Check out more details here: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/e...y-to-xbox-360/

-Jonathan
post #6 of 17 Old 06-15-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanrn View Post

They just announced that you can stream all that stuff on the Xbox (granted that you have a gold account.. ~$35/yr). Check that you subscribe to an ESPN affliliate cable service at http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList

Check out more details here: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/e...y-to-xbox-360/

-Jonathan

ESPN3 won't help you with NHL or NFL.

Scott
post #7 of 17 Old 06-15-2010, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

There isn't anything that would have all in one place and probably not going to happen anytime soon.

PlayOn might be a good solution for the NHL and MLB. If you subscribe to those online services you can plug in your password into PlayOn and then the games will be available to you via DLNA streaming.

NBA isn't available with that. NBA does have an online League Pass and some games are available thru ESPN3.

NFL...never going to happen as they don't even have an online product to begin with. Obviously you need DirecTV and their Sunday Ticket package. You can then get the games streaming online thru a DirecTV app.

Scott
post #8 of 17 Old 06-16-2010, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't know it's available in the US, but NFL has a streaming service that I can use here in Norway called Gamepass, the only "problem" is that it has a delay of a few minutes.

It's just really annoying that there's no mouse-free options to watch these games. It's the only thing stading in the way of having a remote-only HTPC.

And I'm pretty sure there would be big savings for the leagues aswell if they worked together on creating a good service.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-16-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicoz View Post

And I'm pretty sure there would be big savings for the leagues aswell if they worked together on creating a good service.

Not really. Each of the sports are shot differently, requiring different camera angles, etc. so having the same screen setup for baseball vs. hockey wouldn’t suit both of them.

Further, each association probably thinks that they will make the most money off of their online endeavors by setting it up themselves.

Unlike a Hulu, who has a couple of different entities that all show approximately the same stuff (either weekly half hour shows, weekly hours shows or some movies) the different sports associations have pretty varying setups and requirements.

For example, if I were an NFL, I highly doubt I would be happy with a setup in conjunction with an MLB. I do five or six games a week, they do umpteen thousand a week. I don’t NFL getting on board with any of the other sports. They seem to make a pretty good dollar locking in a couple of major broadcast channels every Sunday and ESPN on Monday to cover every game and all fans. Someone like MLB needs online video because it is a logistical nightmare to try and serve all those games to every particular fan across the nation.

I just don’t see an integrated “Hulu” for live sports happening any time soon.

-Suntan
post #10 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm not talking about the recording of the games, just the online distribution. And I don't really see how the differences between the sports has any meaning when it comes to that. After all it's just a list of games linking to a stream. It's not as if they haven't all been using the same system to distribute their content for years (TV).

Today they all have to pay for their own servers and services around their separate systems, not to mention development of these systems. But if they came together and crated a platform they could all use there is no doubt in my mind that there are big savings to be made, not to mention the benefits of having a huge advertising market.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I think NBC streams the NFL Sunday night game, complete with different camera angles on their website, or at least they did, i only watched it once.

I'm sure the NFL would love to get the NFL ticket to stream online (which will effectively kill DirectTV), but I doubt they do it until the technology is there and they know the market is there becuase they make a pretty penny from directTV. The problem is too many people get the NFL ticket on DirectTV, which is connected to the TV, most people dont want to watch a football game on the computer screen, so they need the streaming internet TV to take off more too.

In time.

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
post #12 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicoz View Post

I'm not talking about the recording of the games, just the online distribution. And I don't really see how the differences between the sports has any meaning when it comes to that. After all it's just a list of games linking to a stream. It's not as if they haven't all been using the same system to distribute their content for years (TV).

Today they all have to pay for their own servers and services around their separate systems, not to mention development of these systems. But if they came together and crated a platform they could all use there is no doubt in my mind that there are big savings to be made, not to mention the benefits of having a huge advertising market.

That is because you are thinking about it as a consumer who wants to sit in his armchair and treat every game like it is just one more option in a list that is available at the touch of a button.

Try thinking about it as a team owner (the guys that have *a lot* of say in how their sport gets marketed). Would you want the link for your Boston Celtics game to sit right next to the link for that Boston Red Socks game?

Anyway, I'm not saying that it would be bad for consumers to have it as you suggest. It would indeed be very convenient. I just don't see it happening.

-Suntan
post #13 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 View Post

I'm sure the NFL would love to get the NFL ticket to stream online (which will effectively kill DirectTV), but I doubt they do it until the technology is there and they know the market is there becuase they make a pretty penny from directTV. The problem is too many people get the NFL ticket on DirectTV, which is connected to the TV, most people dont want to watch a football game on the computer screen, so they need the streaming internet TV to take off more too.

In time.

Actually last year DirecTV offered Sunday Ticket online only as a test to people in Manhattan only. They mentioned that it would be expanded nationwide this year BUT I have not been able to get any information on the status for this year.

What this means is that if you don't have DirecTV you could buy the ST online only product from DirecTV. Thus the NFL wouldn't do the streaming themselves like MLB and NHL but let DirecTV do it since they already offer an online product to ST subs anyway. Makes sense. I just hope they roll it out nationwide like they said they would do.

Scott
post #14 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 View Post

Like I mentioned earlier all of the leagues including NFL already have online streaming services, so there is no big "new" technology needed, just a better system then what they each already have in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Try thinking about it as a team owner (the guys that have *a lot* of say in how their sport gets marketed). Would you want the link for your Boston Celtics game to sit right next to the link for that Boston Red Socks game?

Why not? He gets the link to the Celtics game right next to the link to the Red Sox game aswell, so it works both ways. And I really don't think it's any different then it is today with the TV-guides.

To top it off they could simply implement the Picture-in-Picture mode that mlb.tv already has and then people could watch both games at once, this way NBA would get the viewers that are 60/40 in favour of watching MLB, and vice verca.

But trust me, not in my wildest dreams do I believe this will happen, just saying it would be a good move especially for consumers, but the leagues wouldn't hurt from it either. My guess is that our only hope is that Microsoft helps them set up plugins for Windows Media Center, and Google helps them create apps for Google TV.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

Actually last year DirecTV offered Sunday Ticket online only as a test to people in Manhattan only. They mentioned that it would be expanded nationwide this year BUT I have not been able to get any information on the status for this year.

What this means is that if you don't have DirecTV you could buy the ST online only product from DirecTV. Thus the NFL wouldn't do the streaming themselves like MLB and NHL but let DirecTV do it since they already offer an online product to ST subs anyway. Makes sense. I just hope they roll it out nationwide like they said they would do.

I did not know that, that is great news, i hope it goes forward. was the quality in HD or quasi HD? I hope they don't roll out SD, i can go to the local bar for that.

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
post #16 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

I would love if they came out with this as well! Knowing directv they would probably only limit it to their own customers!
post #17 of 17 Old 06-17-2010, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post

I would love if they came out with this as well! Knowing directv they would probably only limit it to their own customers!

But they aren't, and that's the point. They have had the ST online product for a number of years now but only for their own customers.

Last year they tested in Manhattan only ST online for *non* DirecTV subscribers. It was meant to capture the market of those in apartments without line of sight and thus can't get the main DirecTV service (of course there is no way they will check to see if you indeed can't get line of sight).

The plan last year was to test it in NY and then roll it out nationwide this year. Again, for *non* subscribers of DirecTV. No word yet this year on those plans though.

Scott
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page