WHS + Radeon 5670 = Epic Fail, any suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-18-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm running a Windows Home Server that currently holds all of my media, much of which contains BluRay discs I have ripped so I don't have to worry about them getting scratched.

Right now I run a SageTV HD200 to play these, but recently wanted to step up to Boxee and so I invested in a Radeon 5670 to bitstream DTS & etc. to my Pioneer SC-05 receiver (the SageTV box does this pretty much flawlessly right now except for some issues now and then).

Well, this has been an Epic fail, because WHS is based on Server 2003, and ATI doesn't really support it. The card is installed along with all the proper drivers (thanks to XP compatibility mode in some cases), and everything seems okay. The ATI HDMI audio driver is even there in the Hardware manager.

But for whatever reason I can't get bitstreaming audio. I am just trying to use PowerDVD to test it out and it won't even give me an option to bitstream, which according to this guide should all be realtively easy to set up: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/32...de/index3.html

So I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas before I basically return the thing and go back to the boring old SageTV interface. I considered options like using my other XP box to run things, but it just gets way too PITA way too fast, so if I can't get this going on WHS, I figure I will hold out for an easier solution.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-18-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

I should mention I also tried switching to the RealTek driver and no luck - just PCM stereo coming out, no bitstream.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-18-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I'm confused, you want to use Boxee but Boxee does not support bitstreaming HD Audio to my knowledge???

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
My suggestion is to not use a WHS box as a media playback device, especially if you want to do stuff like bitstream HD audio codecs. Use Windows 7 for that (an OS that will always have support for the latest and greatest hardware and software). I didn't even think bitstreaming HD audio codecs worked on XP but I could be wrong.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-18-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

dbone - I believe it does, there are options for digital output, etc., but hell, I could definitely be wrong. I dropped Boxee out of the loop for now just because I was wondering the same thing at one point, which is why I went to PowerDVD just to prove the bitstreaming was working.

mslide - Yeah, haha, I think that's the best answer here...not the answer I want unfortunately.

I guess I could upgrade my XP box to Windows 7, and have that do media stuff full time. I do have a laptop anyway, so I could simply use that instead of having a desktop for the 5% of the time I need it.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-18-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx00 View Post

dbone - I believe it does, there are options for digital output, etc., but hell, I could definitely be wrong. I dropped Boxee out of the loop for now just because I was wondering the same thing at one point, which is why I went to PowerDVD just to prove the bitstreaming was working.

mslide - Yeah, haha, I think that's the best answer here...not the answer I want unfortunately.

I guess I could upgrade my XP box to Windows 7, and have that do media stuff full time. I do have a laptop anyway, so I could simply use that instead of having a desktop for the 5% of the time I need it.

Boxee definitely does not support bitstreaming of HD Audio. Maybe it sends through as LPCM but you will not see DTS(MA) or TrueHD light up on your AVR. If you want to bitstream HD audio from a standalone mkv or m2ts file you will need to use MPC + FFDShow (players like WMC and XBMC can launch MPC HC) or even Haali (which may present other problems). I completely agree with mslide, upgrade to W7

You can see my writeup here on setting up bitstreaming:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...7-htpc-part-i/

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page