ABC 7 Chicago Guide Data stopped populating in Media Center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yesterday at around 6:30pm I was checking the program guide in Windows Media Center and noticed that there was "No data available" for ABC 7.1 Chicago as of 7pm. Every other channel has accurate guide data including ABC 7.2 and 7.3.

I tried manually updating the guide yesterday and again today and its still not populating.

Running Windows 7 Pro, fully updated.

Anyone else in Chicago having this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-23-2010, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

I found a solution on my own. The guide data was available under a different listing.

I clicked on the channel in the guide. Then I selected Edit Channel. Then I selected Edit Listings. Then I scrolled down to WLSDT (WLS-DT) - ABC Affiliate and selected that and saved the changes.

For some reason the guide was not associating 7.1 with that guide data, and instead was using the guide data for WLSDT (Special Temorary Authority) - ABC Affiliate, which had no program information.

Problem solved, mystery remains.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-24-2010, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yep, mine did that too.

I did the same thing to solve it.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-24-2010, 12:49 PM

Same thing for me. I found the same fix. I was surprised I didn't see any posts on thegreenbutton.com.

I don't have any guide data for 7.2 or 7.3. Do I have to remap those as well?
post #5 of 14 Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by windomearle View Post

I don't have any guide data for 7.2 or 7.3. Do I have to remap those as well?

Yes. Usually they'll show up as callsign +DT2 and +DT3. So if the callsign is WLS, it would be WLSDT2, WLSDT3.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-25-2010, 06:32 AM

There have been several posts on TGB about people missing guide data. It appears to be a nationwide problem with the data provider.

MCE associates the data by looking at the callsign of the station. So the data provider either changed the callsign of the station, or the callsign of the data and thus MCE cant correlate data to station. So far, no one's complained to Microsoft about it on TGB, probably because the work around is so easy to do.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-25-2010, 09:01 AM

Yup seems like a nationwide issue, my MCE guide is not updating, I have no data available on several channels.

-------------------------------------------------------------
My windows 7 media center http://www.hellosri.com
post #8 of 14 Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 PM

I had the same problem and posted my solution over at the green button (I can't paste a link, but you can Google the solution below).

PROBLEM:
Windows 7 Media Center Edition recently switched my WLSDT channel 7.1 to WLSSTA (special temporary authority) in Chicago. The video still comes in fine in MCE, but no guide data is coming in and it says No data available in the guide section. Does anyone know if WLSDT is changing their underlying frequency again? Is there a way to force MCE to still download the guide listing for ABC 7?

SOLUTION:
Ok, I think I figured this out. For some reason ABC 7 is running on 2 different frequencies. ZapToIt only seems to have a listing for WLSDT and not WLSSTA, even though they are the same channel on different frequencies. So to fix it go to Settings>TV>Gude>Edit Channels. Then pick the current 7.1 channel and select it. Choose Edit Listing. Here you will choose the 7.1 WLSDT (WLS-DT) - ABC Affiliate. After you pick this, the guide listing should be replaced with the proper guide listing for ABC7.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-29-2010, 08:14 AM

As a side note, while you're editing the channel, if you can receive only one of the WLS frequencies, 7 or 44, make sure you go into "edit sources" and uncheck the frequency you cant get. MCE merges the two channels into one guide listing and its possible for a scheduled recording to try to record on the bad channel.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I want to say thanks for this. I know the original post was a long time ago but it really helped me out. I had the same thing happen after re-installing W7 on my HTPC a few weeks ago. I didn't realize it had happened until my wife realized a show wasn't being recorded.

I want to add this: If you are having problems editing the channel try letting WMC re-scan all your channels and start over. I think I had done so many things trying to get the guide data that I was worse off. Re-scanning allowed me to follow the directions posted above and now I have the channel info.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 PM

I had a similar issue with a low-power station here in Phoenix airea with 7.1,7.2,7.3 ... I live in zipcode 85248, a Chandler, Arizona zipcode. I tried the solutions suggested above, but the channels were not available to be reassigned to a similar channel like the solution stated. The only way I could get them to work was to switch my zip code to 85044, which is a phoenix zip code. Now the guide data is available for the channels.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-09-2013, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post

I want to say thanks for this. I know the original post was a long time ago but it really helped me out. I had the same thing happen after re-installing W7 on my HTPC a few weeks ago. I didn't realize it had happened until my wife realized a show wasn't being recorded.

I want to add this: If you are having problems editing the channel try letting WMC re-scan all your channels and start over. I think I had done so many things trying to get the guide data that I was worse off. Re-scanning allowed me to follow the directions posted above and now I have the channel info.

Rescanning won't resolve the original problem. The problem is not with WMC or the tuner, it's the data that's mapped from the guide information provider zap2it.

post #13 of 14 Old 05-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I agree. I was saying that I had screwed with so many settings that starting from scratch made it easier to follow the instructions.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
^^ Yup, I had to do the same smile.gif My post was intended for others who may (will probably) run into this problem in the future.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page