HTPC using SPDIF (w/ AC3filter ) to Av reciever are these settings correct ?? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Home Theater Computers > HTPC using SPDIF (w/ AC3filter ) to Av reciever are these settings correct ??

Home Theater Computers

africanmarty's Avatar africanmarty
05:30 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 10
07-01-2010 | Posts: 114
hi guys i am setting up a htpc for my girlfriend i will be using mpc-hc for video file playback and TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum for DVD/bluray playback. I have setup to use SPDIF ( it is built into the mobo ) and it works great with TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum (DTS and dolby digital - show up when playing back DVD/ blurays on the AV recioever). when using mpc-hc for playback of video files i want all the prcocessing done on the Av reciever. I was after DD/DTS to be passed through to be decoded to the reciever (wich is working as DTS and Doldby Digital show up) and everything else to be passed through as PCM and then for the AV to use Pro Logic II to turn it into surround sound. I am using the following settings in AC3filter ) shown in the images. The reason i ask is beucase i have no speakers yet. I think it is right but thought i would check with others user who might be trying to get the same result.
LL
LL
LL
LL
12:51 AM Liked: 10
post #2 of 10
07-04-2010 | Posts: 114
Bump any thoughts ??
Wo0zy's Avatar Wo0zy
03:45 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 10
07-04-2010 | Posts: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanmarty View Post

hi guys i am setting up a htpc for my girlfriend i will be using mpc-hc for video file playback and TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum for DVD/bluray playback. I have setup to use SPDIF ( it is built into the mobo ) and it works great with TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum (DTS and dolby digital - show up when playing back DVD/ blurays on the AV recioever). when using mpc-hc for playback of video files i want all the prcocessing done on the Av reciever. I was after DD/DTS to be passed through to be decoded to the reciever (wich is working as DTS and Doldby Digital show up) and everything else to be passed through as PCM and then for the AV to use Pro Logic II to turn it into surround sound. I am using the following settings in AC3filter ) shown in the images. The reason i ask is beucase i have no speakers yet. I think it is right but thought i would check with others user who might be trying to get the same result.

If you want PCM to be passed so the AVR can do Pro Logic, you don't want " Use AC3 Encoder" checked.

Wo0zy
06:47 AM Liked: 10
post #4 of 10
thanks for the tip. i thought that if i didn't click that then the computer might send mp3,aac or some other codec that wouldn't be understood from the receiver ? is that not the case.
Eddie2u's Avatar Eddie2u
09:02 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 10
07-04-2010 | Posts: 134
Quote:

thanks for the tip. i thought that if i didn't click that then the computer might send mp3,aac or some other codec that wouldn't be understood from the receiver ? is that not the case.

Everything looks ok. If you see DTS on your receiver than its bit streaming.

You could test it out by playing a dts file with mpc-hc and clicking on the ac3filter icon file when it appears. If I remember right you should see some info of what is being bit streamed and stream info. AC3filter will only start up when a DTS or DD track is detected all other sound like stereo PCM will be unaffected. Did you try headphones to test for sound for PCM or DTS?
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar Andrew Hornfeck
12:41 PM Liked: 18
post #6 of 10
07-04-2010 | Posts: 2,571
I've opted for AC3Filter's little brother SPDIFer to just do passthrough of DD & DTS. Fewer settings with the same result!
athe's Avatar athe
06:16 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 10
07-04-2010 | Posts: 30
What OS are you using? Why not just setup the audio rendered in MPC-HC to be one that is SPDIF, and modify the AC3/DTS filter settings to output to SPDIF. No need for AC3Filter (or SPDIFer). Non-AC3/DTS audio should be downmixed to stereo and output as PCM.

I currently do this in Win7, and it works fine.

Of course, this assumes that your audio drivers install a Digital Output device into things.

Cheers,
athe.
06:52 PM Liked: 10
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by athe View Post

What OS are you using? Why not just setup the audio rendered in MPC-HC to be one that is SPDIF, and modify the AC3/DTS filter settings to output to SPDIF. No need for AC3Filter (or SPDIFer). Non-AC3/DTS audio should be downmixed to stereo and output as PCM.

I currently do this in Win7, and it works fine.

Of course, this assumes that your audio drivers install a Digital Output device into things.

Cheers,
athe.

and how are you doing this ? do you have a tutorial ??
06:56 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie2u View Post

Everything looks ok. If you see DTS on your receiver than its bit streaming.

You could test it out by playing a dts file with mpc-hc and clicking on the ac3filter icon file when it appears. If I remember right you should see some info of what is being bit streamed and stream info. AC3filter will only start up when a DTS or DD track is detected all other sound like stereo PCM will be unaffected. Did you try headphones to test for sound for PCM or DTS?

it does say 'dts' and 'dolby digital' when using spdif in both mpc-ha and arcsoft total media theater. i will try to untick the 'use ac3 encoder' and see if it work. but i will have to wait till tomorrow as i broke my ATI 4670 AGP and i have to get another...
athe's Avatar athe
07:24 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 10
07-04-2010 | Posts: 30
Quote:

and how are you doing this ? do you have a tutorial ??

In MPC-HC

- Go into options
- Select Playback -> Output
- For the audio renderer, select the digital device you are connecting to your AVR (it'll probably mention SPDIF or digital in the name). Another option is to go into Windows Audio Devices and set the Digital output device as the default, and set MPC-HC's audio rendered as System Default
- Select Internal Filters
- Double-click on AC3 or DTS (both use same settings dialog)
- Select SPDIF for both AC3 and DTS, and click OK

That's it for MPC-HC.

In Arcsoft, you should be able to select the digital output device as the audio renderer.

Cheers,
athe.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Subscribe to this Thread