HTPC Golden Age? Reducing Component Count - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 186 Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Procedure to Permanently Disable Tracking Between Internet Browser Sessions
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create and copy Adobe Flash Configuration File
1) With any text editor copy and paste in the following lines to a new file:

LocalStorageLimit = 1
AssetCacheSize = 0
ThirdPartyStorage = 0
AssetCacheSize = 0
AutoUpdateInterval = 1
LegacyDomainMatching = 0
LocalFileLegacyAction = 0

2) Save the file to the C:\\Users\\Public folder to a file named mms.cfg

3) Using file explorer then copy the mms.cfg file to:

Windows 7 (32bit):
C:\\Windows\\System32\\Macromed\\Flash

Windows 7 (64bit):
C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\Macromed\\Flash

Macintosh
/Library/Application Support/Macromedia

Linux
/etc/adobe/

Done! Now a huge privacy flaw in Internet surfing has been corrected. Yet virtually now one will tell you about it either out of ignorance or they want to make money off your private viewing. Its wise to store the file in your main computers public folder as it can easily be copied from any other computer. It may also need to be reinstalled after upgrade for each pc.

Here is what Adobe has to say about Flash security:
"Because of security issues that arise with relation to Internet access, Adobe (and formerly Macromedia) has implemented more stringent security measures with each release of Flash Player...
Depending on how security settings are permitted or prohibited by the application author, the end user, or you (the administrator), Flash Player may or may not be able to download files to the local disk, upload files from the disk, write shared objects to disk (sometimes referred to as “Flash cookies”), access and run other SWF files on the local disk, or communicate between the local disk and the Internet.".
In other words track you!
All this done by third, fourth and filth parties that no one has any responsibility or liability for harvesting your personal data. With our Congress, its only a matter of time before future employers and insurers start reviewing your surfing habits. Anything for a buck.

Today's Humor
Does anyone know why Adobe choose the .sol file extension for their tracking cookies?

References
http://blog.eset.com/2010/10/06/adob...2%80%93-part-2
http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Ado...dmin_guide.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 186 Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 PM

Liked: 147
What does any of your latest posts have to do with reducing component count? I realize it is your thread...but why take it SOOOOOOOO far off topic?
post #183 of 186 Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

That is a fair question.
As an intelligent person, I've put my reputation on the line by unabashedly recommending the use of a highly integrated one-box htpc. One key philosophical benefit of owning a htpc is that you retain complete control over its use. I signed no tracking agreement to connect my pc to the internet, to invade my privacy or give-up my anonymity.

Paying to allow an application to track and sell your personal data, makes the effort of owning a htpc worthless. It's not just about the hardware, but the freedom guaranteed by our constitution. All citizens have a duty to prevent being unreasonably searched without due process.

So how has the htpc held up in this battle to maintain privacy?
The answer is splendidly!

Consumers just need to spread the word (by installing this configuration file), until our legislators become educated on the matter. Having found a complete solution to this insidious threat, I'm through. Mission accomplished!

BTW, no one has posted why the Adobe designers selected the .sol extension.

Postscript: The Europeans legislators already have a handle on this issue, requiring consumers to give their explicit consent:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02...kie_use_study/
post #184 of 186 Old 04-20-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

It been a while since there have been significant upgrades worth considering. But now there are two half height AMD video cards:
Quote:
"This means that the pinnacle of AMD's video image quality (a score of 201, according to the HQV 2.0 benchmark) starts at the ~$80 Radeon HD 6570, and more expensive Radeons offer nothing better. This is a significant improvement over the GeForce lineup, where the top-scoring cards achieve about 160 points.

When you consider that all of these reference cards are half-height models without dedicated PCIe power connectors, you can see that the Radeon HD 6570 and 6670 have a lot of potential to be excellent HTPC graphics cards."
---
Bravo!

Notice that ATI/AMD waited for a long as possible before releasing these two jewels:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...s,2925-14.html
post #185 of 186 Old 04-23-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Power DVD 10 finally works to convert all 2D Dvd,s and Blu-rays to 3D, using the latest AMD/ATI 6000 series video cards.
These 6000 series series cards have superior 2D and native 3D playback, and now synthesized 2D-->3D conversion. Just select the new HDMI 1.4 option in the PDVD 3D menu. Its about time guys!

The beauty is that by waiting for AMD/ATI, no other custom hardware is required, as it works on any standard full-3D Blu-ray system. Synthesized 3D make viewing a who new fun experience. Highly recommended!
post #186 of 186 Old 04-23-2011, 07:12 PM

Liked: 147
Be careful with the 6570. From what I understand, they can be built with DDR3 or DDR5, and the DDR3 versions do not fare as well.

I would stick with the 6670, sinc they all must have DDR5. When I looked at the price of a DDR5 6570, it was only $10 less than a much mroe powerful 6670.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page