AVS Forum banner

Nvidia GeForce GTX 460(GF104 GPU) supports full audio bitstreaming

219K views 2K replies 151 participants last post by  22386 
#1 ·
 http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/n...the-200-king/4

Quote:
With a $199 MSRP and 150W TDP, the 768MB GTX 460 is also the first card to be of a suitable design for HTPC use. Although we don’t expect very many GTX 460s to be used for that (rather it would be for the unannounced GF106) NVIDIA is already putting plans in to motion for HTPC cards. The GTX 460 will offer full bitstreaming audio capabilities, something the GF100 GPU powering the other GTX 400 series cards could not do. This means that the GTX 460 will be able to bitstream DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD along with the 8 channel LPCM audio capabilities supported by the previous GTX 400 series cards. This brings NVIDIA up to par with AMD, who has offered bitstreaming on the entire range of Radeon HD 5000 series cards.
Quote:
Much like the launch of 3D Vision Surround however, this feature is late. It is not supported in the initial shipping drivers for the GTX 460 and will be made available at a later unknown date. We’ll be sure to test it along with the rest of the GTX 460’s HTPC capabilities once it’s available.

Looks like all future Nvidia GPUs will support full audio bitstreaming, GF100 GPUs(GTX 480/470/465) are the exception of course.

#3 ·
GTX 460 is for gamers (equivalent to HD 5830/5850). The majority of HTPC users (who prefer NVIDIA) will want to wait for low-end cards (GF108/GF106). VP4+HD audio bitstreaming is very nice. VP4 is ahead of UVD2...

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker /forum/post/18894029

So apparently the drivers aren't mature enough to support hd bitstreaming yet, but the hardware is in place to support it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mi,2684-3.html

Yeah well they did just get released today!

I'm thinking of turning my HTPC into the gaming PC as the gaming PC currently acts as the media server as well and it's an awful lot of power to just be sitting around ildly all the time.

Who knows maybe the HTPC will be snappier and more responsive while navigating the resource hungry 7MC with my gaming PC's hardware inside?!

#7 ·
#8 ·
"VP" = "Video Processor" since PureVideo non-HD era in 2004. VP1, VP2 are seen in NVIDIA's own slides.

Other older slides might be interesting.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 /forum/post/18894775

Yeah well they did just get released today!

I'm thinking of turning my HTPC into the gaming PC as the gaming PC currently acts as the media server as well and it's an awful lot of power to just be sitting around ildly all the time.

Who knows maybe the HTPC will be snappier and more responsive while navigating the resource hungry 7MC with my gaming PC's hardware inside?!

it doesnt run at max wattage when its idle...

#10 ·
Finally some needed bit-streaming competition to the ATI 5xxx cards! As already pointed out this power hungry gamer card is not really suitable for us, but I am sure it is just a matter of time till the low power flavors will be available.

Overall, it's great news!

I have been always a fan of the usually more stable NVidia drivers.

____

Axel

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC /forum/post/18896131

Well, it's not very power hungry at idle to be fair. But the max. power at load is a bit high at 160w compared to the Go! Green HD 5750 cards that do around 76w max. so they don't even need the aux. power connector.

I meant 'power hungry' in regards to HTPC applications.

E.g. my ATI 5670 uses 61W max. power / 14W idle according to renethx's table . This card provides all the performance I need for my HT setup.

____

Axel

#13 ·
now we only need a ffdshow version that work with nvidia, i will order one of this card from newegg today

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat /forum/post/18897833

I was unaware that would matter. Either way I'll be ordering one this week for an HTPC/F@H box.

to be honest i don't know if it matter or not, i just order the MSI OC 460
, cant wait to get it

#19 ·
If it uses the standard WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE_IEC61937 structure in Windows 7 (i.e. you see "Dolby TrueHD" etc. in the sound control panel), ffdshow will support it.

#20 ·
Any thoughts on the Palit GeForce® GTX460 Sonic Platinum card?
http://www.palit.biz/main/vgapro.php?id=1338

Aside from the power consumption, are there any other down sides to the 460 over other current cards?

I use the pc mostly as a HTPC, but also some video editing. No gaming.

I do tend to over build things, but use them for a long time.

Also thinking of getting the new OCZ revo drive.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3788/o...dable-pcie-ssd

Gary

Blackbird 002 case

x2 3800

asus 939 pro

XP pro

Theater tech

h50 water cooler

Silver stone zeus 650 PSU

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gleave /forum/post/18901655

Aside from the power consumption, are there any other down sides to the 460 over other current cards?

If this is to be believed, the GTX 460 (at least MSI's version) has pretty good power consumption during idle (14W) and Blu-ray playback (24W). If you don't need it for gaming, though, it's a bit of a waste...

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gleave /forum/post/18901655

editing avchd? the only reason that you'd want a monster video card for editing video is if the editing software was able to offload the avdhd decoding to the video card.

the list of pro editing software that is capable of utilizing cuda is very short... last i heard, only the latest version of premiere pro could do it?? very $$$$

you guys need the 460 about as much as you need a hole in the head

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by osv /forum/post/18902179

editing avchd? the only reason that you'd want a monster video card for editing video is if the editing software was able to offload the avdhd decoding to the video card.

the list of pro editing software that is capable of utilizing cuda is very short... last i heard, only the latest version of premiere pro could do it?? very $$$$

you guys need the 460 about as much as you need a hole in the head

Very condescending reply, thanks.

I have a lot of things (motorcycles,cars, audio gear, etc...) I really don't need , buy have a lot of fun with them. Sometimes excess is the answer.

You sound like you know what your talking about, but you have said nothing constructive.

You obviously know what all us guy's do not need. Now will please tell us what card all us guy's do need, and what make's you believe this?

What card will have HDMI 1.4a?

What card will play back 3D?

What card will send perfect HD audio to the pre/pro?

Is this card really only for gaming?

#24 ·
yes, for now, it's really only for gaming, or cuda-supported video editing.

"...The unfortunate rub is that the current driver doesn’t support it. We were able to get Dolby Digital/DTS across HDMI, along with multi-channel LPCM, but no Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. And even when the feature is enabled, it’ll take buying a copy of CyberLink’s PowerDVD 10 playback software to support it. Frankly, this is a bummer for anyone who made the jump to PowerDVD 9 as AMD and Intel enabled bitstreaming in their graphics products and is now considering a Fermi-based board. We’d really like to see a patch to make this possible in PowerDVD 9.

With that said, we waited through several drivers and patches for AMD to get its bitstreaming support dialed-in, so it’s not something we’ll hold against Nvidia right out of the gate. I’m just excited to see more mainstream versions of the Fermi architecture become viable in a gaming- or Blu-ray 3D-oriented HTPC. For now, my Radeon HD 5770 remains…"
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mi,2684-3.html

neither anandtech nor tomshardware has the correct microphones and testing procedures for evaluating noise, so better to wait for silentpcreview.com to take a look at this card.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.