5770 Media Center Resolution Changing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just upgraded graphics card from nvidia igpu 9300 to an ATI 5770. I dont have an amp my panasonic tx37lzd80 is connected directly to htpc via hdmi.

Media center does not seem to want to stay at 1080p and keeps reverting to a lower resolution with a black border no matter how many times I set it. It will stay fine for a while but randomly reverts to lower res.

Is there a setting or a fix for this and does it have something to do with this edid issue I have seen mentioned? I didn't have any issues wth the nvidia please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you changed the setting in Media Center to Monitor instead of TV?
post #3 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

No it is set to flat panel. Will monitor help/display correct given that it is a flat panel television?

Tried set to monitor and it has just reverted again after the tv was turned off and on again, the desktop is staying at 1080.
post #4 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbonvidia View Post

Tried set to monitor and it has just reverted again after the tv was turned off and on again, the desktop is staying at 1080.

So what setting, exactly, is reverting? Sounds like the resolution is staying 1080p but the Overscan is getting reset to default when the TV is turned off? I was having that issue myself with Win7 and any driver from 10.3 up to and including 10.7. I fixed it by going back to the Catalyst 9.12 drivers. Newer drivers seem to revert the Overscan to default when the TV (or in my case, the Receiver) is turned off while the computer is still on.

--
Eric B. Smith
The future keeps telling us what the past was about. You make the past mean different things by what you do with the time that comes after.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

It is the full screen resolution in windows media center that willnot stay at 1080. The desktop does. So if I open media center the resolution gets changed to a lower res even after being set 1080 using the wizard many times. Closing media center and resolution reverts back to 1080. Underscan settting has stayed where I put it at 0%

Its like media center is detecting a lower resolution tv and automatically changing it. The native res is 1080p 50hz

Getting desparate now, thinking about a re-install of windows 7.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is the full screen resolution in windows media center that willnot stay at 1080. The desktop does. So if I open media center the resolution gets changed to a lower res even after being set 1080 using the wizard many times. Closing media center and resolution reverts back to 1080. Underscan settting has stayed where I put it at 0%

Its like media center is detecting a lower resolution tv and automatically changing it. The native res is 1080p 50hz

Try running through the media center display setup again and set it to say 720p then run it yet again and set back to 1080p. This ensures that MC adds its display config to the registry.

If this doesn't help you may need to delve into ccc to make sure the config is correct.

Wo0zy
post #7 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

I did actually look at the registry and witnessed the settings change to 1920 1080. So they do get saved, then again opened media center it opens as 1080 and changes after a few secs and I saw the registry change to the lower resolutions again, I'll try settting a diff resolution and then back again manually as have not tried that yet.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did actually look at the registry and witnessed the settings change to 1920 1080. So they do get saved, then again opened media center it opens as 1080 and changes after a few secs and I saw the registry change to the lower resolutions again, I'll try settting a diff resolution and then back again manually as have not tried that yet.

What resolution did the registry indicate MC had changed to?

Wo0zy
post #9 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

1280 x 960
post #10 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1280 x 960

Weird on a number of levels.

Let me know if the suggestion helps or not.

BTW is the native resolution you quoted from the display's manual or by checking the EDID?

Wo0zy
post #11 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Does this happen only when turning on the TV and AVR are off, and you start the HTPC first, then the TV&AVR ? Because that`s what is happening to me. If i turn the TV on first, it works fine, no issues.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

The manual says thats the native res and also edid from uing that moninfo util. Also with the nvidia it actually used to have (native) beside 1080p when going through the media center wizard and now it doesn't. Will try poweing the computer off and on again and leave the tv on and see what happens.

edit: Same thing happened.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

OMG
!!

Figured it out. It was a plugin doing it, media control. The default refresh/resolution rate must have got changed when I put the new card in. I have not been using it long and it occured to me that I had previously been using that to change the refresh rate!

Redface, oh wellhopefully someone else will find this useful.

Thanks for the tips!

doh
post #14 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:

OMG
!!

Figured it out. It was a plugin doing it, media control. The default refresh/resolution rate must have got changed when I put the new card in. I have not been using it long and it occured to me that I had previously been using that to change the refresh rate!

Thanks for the tips!

doh

Thanks for posting this! I've been having this problem for a while with 7MC switching to 1024/768. Its been driving me nuts. I checked Media Control and sure enough it was set to 1024x768 so I switched it to the correct resolution. I hope this resolves my issue too.

Thanks!
post #15 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OMG
!!

Thanks for the tips!

doh

Nice fault finding. Glad you worked it out.

Wo0zy
post #16 of 23 Old 08-02-2010, 04:14 AM

Guys,

please explain once again.

I have already ask this question about switching between monitor and plasma television. I made profiles in CCC 10.7, card HD5770 1Gb and named it Monitor 1024x768 and Television 1920x1080.

The problem occurred when I start Television profile it never gets to 1920x1080 50Hz, but to 1024x768. Then I need to start profile once again and then it turn to desired resolution.

Other way arround, when I want to get back to Monitor, clicking on its profile it turns on monitor on some 1440x990 resolution which I have never selected.

The question, very simple one is how to switch from monitor to television but to desired resolution settings:

- from monitor 1024x768 85Hz to television 1920x1080 50Hz and
- from television 1920x1080 50Hz to monitor 1024x768 85Hz

but without some middle step in weird resolutions.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I can't seem to find where resolution is pulled out in Media Control. I only see settings for switching streams/etc. Can the person who figured this out (thank you again, this issue has been driving me nuts for a long time) post the steps to resolve the issue? I think it would be very useful for me, and for other people to have this information.

Thanks again!

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19539055
post #18 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Shameless self bump; seems there are a few people with this problem who would love to see what the solution is..

Thanks!

post #19 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

There is a media control config app under start > all programs > media control.
(Not within media center)

You can set your default resolution in one of the tabs along the top.
post #20 of 23 Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Well, your diagnosis was good, it was Media Control that was changing the resolution. I couldn't figure out how to fix it (I didn't see anywhere in either the 7MC or the application that called out a resolution), but, as soon as I uninstalled it... Tada... No more resolution changes. I'm going to try to re-install it and see if the problem resolves from that procedure. But, in general, if you're having a problem with 7MC, VMC or WMC changing resolution on startup, take a look at media control, that could be the cause of your problem.

Thanks again for the help!

post #21 of 23 Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Wow, two years, so I'm not sure if anyone is paying attention to this thread, but here goes.

I am having the same problem as stated above, except I don't have Media Control installed and WMC changes my monitor settings on exit. I have two viewsonic 1920x1080 monitors, with one cloned to a Sharp 720p projector. Every time I start WMC, it changes the resolution to 720p on the cloned monitor. When I exit WMC it shuts off the other monitor and keeps the cloned monitor and projector at 720.

Any help would be appreciated.
post #22 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 07:37 PM

I'm having this problem where when using Windows Media Center under Windows 7x64, with a USB TV stick, WMC continually toggles the resolutions of the display. The display (An ASUS VG23A connected via HDMI) is a bit slow on resolution changes so the result is a black screen most of the time as it switches to and fro. I have no idea why this is happening or how to stop it. I have nVidia set up to handle resolution changes with GPU scaling and to override any attempts otherwise but WMC manages to get past the nVidia driver. I have tried reconfiguring WMC's monitor setup repeatedly to no avail. I don't find anything called Media Control on my system. At this point I can only watch TV in windowed mode since this issue makes full screen use impossible.

post #23 of 23 Old 10-22-2013, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I wish I had the solution for you, but one day mine just started working correctly, and I never figured out why. The only think I can recommend is to try changing settings from different places, (in WMC, Windows and your video card). I think I eventually just stumbled on the right combination.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page