Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 794 Old 11-18-2010, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Dav View Post
No because I am afraid to break something. If you have a list or link to name what I can turn off, I would be more than happy to try and report it.
Do a quick Google search for Black Viper Services. There should be a link to a site that takes you step-by-step in turning useless services. If I remember he also explains what's safe & what's extreme as far as turning off. Usually one is ok with the Safe settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 794 Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Yes I tried both with acceleration and without. Its faulty on all videos. MKV 720p or SD-> ffdshow upconverted. Its driving me crazy. the stuttering is every 5-6 minutes or so. So it might not be visible to untrained eyes.
Try reloading. If they didn't send you a windows 7 disk with it ( a real one, not the restore disk) then get on support chat and ask them to. They will send you disks in 2 or 3 days. Reload everything, put the latest ati and realtek hdmi drivers on, then install sharky codec pack or something and try it again.

What is the stuttering you're seeing? Does the audio keep playing but video slows down, does it skip a frame, what happens? I'm not sure what kind of training you do to detect stuttering, but from I know I had issues until I loaded everything on my own.
post #363 of 794 Old 11-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes I tried both with acceleration and without. Its faulty on all videos. MKV 720p or SD-> ffdshow upconverted. Its driving me crazy. the stuttering is every 5-6 minutes or so. So it might not be visible to untrained eyes.
Have you tried AC3filter instead? It resolved some of my issues in the past.

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #364 of 794 Old 11-19-2010, 09:10 AM

Hi 410 owners,

I'm going to place an order for one soon, but I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Does it come with a real Win 7 CD/DVD so you can do a clean install if you want. Or is it a restore disk. Or no disk at all and a restore is done with a hidden hard disk partition.

2. Did you install the latest graphics drivers and any other drivers to get good performance or did everything work out-of-the-box? If you did load the latest drivers which ones and could you indicate where you got the drivers from.

Well, I thinks that's it for now!

Thanks,
Gerry
post #365 of 794 Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1- Like all new computers it doesn't come with CDs. It comes with a hidden restore partition.
2- The drivers are on the dell site:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/
post #366 of 794 Old 11-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post

I've been contemplating about upgrading to 410 version, but 400 (6850 w/ 4330) experience kept reminding me to hold off on that transition. So I pulled a trigger and got a base Mac Mini. It was painless transition other then the price tag. I tried using OSX as a main OS, but it doesn't have anything comparable to Media Center ease of use with builtin OTA recording functionality, so installed Windows 7 instead. Installation and configuration in Windows 7 was a breeze. I did not run into any major issues during configuration either. I remember when I got Zino initially I had to sctrach my head to get 5.1 surround to work. Performance wise, mini feels a lot more snappy even with base configuration and slow hard drive, but I'll definitely upgrade memory and HD. Most importantly mini does not have the annoying fan noise. So, highly recommend mini w/ Windows 7 over Zino for HTPC use, with the exception of a price tag.

I have been contemplating a Mac Mini/Zino 410/Zotac/Asrock decision as well.

I love my 2010 i7 MacBook Pro and I currently have XBMC and Boxee running on it perfectly.

I may just need to stick with the overpriced Mini. I don't mind tinkering, but the varied results everyone seems to have with the Zino 410 has me worried.

Thoughts?
post #367 of 794 Old 11-19-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post

Hi 410 owners,

I'm going to place an order for one soon, but I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Does it come with a real Win 7 CD/DVD so you can do a clean install if you want. Or is it a restore disk. Or no disk at all and a restore is done with a hidden hard disk partition.

2. Did you install the latest graphics drivers and any other drivers to get good performance or did everything work out-of-the-box? If you did load the latest drivers which ones and could you indicate where you got the drivers from.

Well, I thinks that's it for now!

Thanks,
Gerry

You can contact Dell and ask for them to ship you an actual Windows 7 disk. They will also send you a real powerdvd disk and prob a drivers disk (they sent me 3, but I never looked at the 3rd one).
post #368 of 794 Old 11-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, now i'm back to thinking the Dell Zino 410 is the best option.

Decisions, decisions.....

Mac Mini is $642 with tax delivered (Apple refurb).

Dell Zino 410 is $357 delivered.

Virtually the same machine, but one uses OSX and Intel and the other uses Windows and AMD.

$285 difference. The Mac Mini is almost TWICE as much as the Dell Zino 410.

While I do own plenty of Apple products, including a new 2010 MacBook Pro, I'm just not sure if I want to pay twice as much for something that is going to sit on a shelf 100% of the time.

Honestly, is the Zino 410 any good?

Can real owners of the Zino 410 chime in on how they have XBMC working on the 410?
post #369 of 794 Old 11-19-2010, 04:39 PM

That is not really a fair comparison, the 320M graphics in the mini are by far superior to the integrated graphics in the cheap Zino, by the time you add the discrete graphics in the Zino the price difference is not as extreme, additionally if the Zino is giving mixed results on ability to handle files, your also paying for not dealing with that which in my mind is worth something

Patriots, Redsox, Celtics, and Bruins rule I love Boston.
post #370 of 794 Old 11-19-2010, 05:02 PM

Got my zino 410 quad core + 5450 today, works pretty well except the IR doesn't work and I can't find the drivers on the dell website.

Any help? any RC6 remote should work, right?
post #371 of 794 Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmgordon View Post

That is not really a fair comparison, the 320M graphics in the mini are by far superior to the integrated graphics in the cheap Zino, by the time you add the discrete graphics in the Zino the price difference is not as extreme, additionally if the Zino is giving mixed results on ability to handle files, your also paying for not dealing with that which in my mind is worth something

So the Dell Zino 410 with AMD Athlon II P340 2.2 Dual Core + ATI Radeon 5450 discrete is equal to the 2010 Mac Mini with 2.4 Core 2 Duo with 320M integrated graphics?

What compares to the base 2010 Mac Mini in the Dell Zino 410 lineup?
post #372 of 794 Old 11-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevenz View Post

Got my zino 410 quad core + 5450 today, works pretty well except the IR doesn't work and I can't find the drivers on the dell website.

Any help? any RC6 remote should work, right?

It doesn't come with the IR sensor inside of it unless you order it with the crappy Windows Remote add-on.

Your only option is to order the IR sensor part for 6 bucks plus shipping (see 1st post for part number).

The only problem is Dell is not currently stocking this part and they are not sure when they are going to get it. At least that's what they told me when I called.
post #373 of 794 Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post

Ok, now i'm back to thinking the Dell Zino 410 is the best option.

Decisions, decisions.....

Mac Mini is $642 with tax delivered (Apple refurb).

Dell Zino 410 is $357 delivered.

Virtually the same machine, but one uses OSX and Intel and the other uses Windows and AMD.

$285 difference. The Mac Mini is almost TWICE as much as the Dell Zino 410.

While I do own plenty of Apple products, including a new 2010 MacBook Pro, I'm just not sure if I want to pay twice as much for something that is going to sit on a shelf 100% of the time.

Honestly, is the Zino 410 any good?

Can real owners of the Zino 410 chime in on how they have XBMC working on the 410?

You'll get what you pay for that $357 config. I have previous gen Zino with maxed out specs pretty much and it can't handle multi tasking well or play 1080p without occasional stutter. Plus Media Center UI felt very sluggish.

Also PC Connection has base mini on sale today

Here are my pros and cons after using both for the past couple of days:

Mac Mini 2010
Pros:
Looks
Form factor
Integrated Power Supply
Performance even for a base system

Cons:
Price
Voiding warranty if upgrading HD which is not even easy
Lack of Bluray (if you care)

Zino 1st gen
Pros:
Price
BluRay

Cons:
Performance (even with 6850e w/4330)
Fan noise
Heat

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #374 of 794 Old 11-20-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:

You'll get what you pay for that $357 config.

True.

Quote:

I have previous gen Zino with maxed out specs pretty much and it can't handle multi tasking well or play 1080p without occasional stutter. Plus Media Center UI felt very sluggish.

Not in my experience. I also have the previous generation 6850/4330 Zino and Media Center UI is as smooth as my i7 system (I've done side by side comparisons), and there is no difference even when playing 1080p content in the background while browsing through hundreds of video or picture files. As far as I remember, all the video files (1080p) that I have tried through my network played without any issues, and multi-tasking (like watching video and browsing the internet) is also pretty good.

The only problems that I've encountered are a few youtube Flash HD video clips that drop frames (although most play fine). I'm picky, so that's enough for me to not buy another Zino (with the exception of the quad-core option but it's too expensive anyway). Still, I suspect that this type of performance (the $499 option with the 5450 card) will probably satisfy a lot of people.

Anyway, I'm waiting to build my systems with the the 2nd generation of i3 chips that are coming this January. I just don't want to pay $700 for a mac mini and not even get an i3.
post #375 of 794 Old 11-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phy88 View Post

True.

Not in my experience. I also have the previous generation 6850/4330 Zino and Media Center UI is as smooth as my i7 system (I've done side by side comparisons), and there is no difference even when playing 1080p content in the background while browsing through hundreds of video or picture files. As far as I remember, all the video files (1080p) that I have tried through my network played without any issues, and multi-tasking (like watching video and browsing the internet) is also pretty good.

The only problems that I've encountered are a few youtube Flash HD video clips that drop frames (although most play fine). I'm picky, so that's enough for me to not buy another Zino (with the exception of the quad-core option but it's too expensive anyway). Still, I suspect that this type of performance (the $499 option with the 5450 card) will probably satisfy a lot of people.

Anyway, I'm waiting to build my systems with the the 2nd generation of i3 chips that are coming this January. I just don't want to pay $700 for a mac mini and not even get an i3.

Let me correct myself, media center UI browsing wasn't as snappy as I expected it to be. 1080p playback was ok if it was played locally without any background tasks, but streaming over wireless or playing hulu, youtube 1080p stuff resulted in unpleasant experience. So I already saw that people reporting issues with 1080p playback with 410 as well, but I agree that $499 option is probably the best choice. Which now brought me to a question, why not spend $100+ extra for a mini which in base config can handle anything and more.

In any case, I am putting my 400 for sale and will skip 410 gen for now.

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #376 of 794 Old 11-20-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post

It doesn't come with the IR sensor inside of it unless you order it with the crappy Windows Remote add-on.

Your only option is to order the IR sensor part for 6 bucks plus shipping (see 1st post for part number).

The only problem is Dell is not currently stocking this part and they are not sure when they are going to get it. At least that's what they told me when I called.

Really? I can't believe it...... it was one of the main reason to switch from zino 400 to zino 410....... integrated ir reciever....

Why is there a small window in front of the machine then?

Well that sucks.
post #377 of 794 Old 11-20-2010, 11:23 AM

post #378 of 794 Old 11-20-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:

... streaming over wireless or playing hulu, youtube 1080p stuff resulted in unpleasant experience.

I would assume the issue was streaming 1080p over wireless, not the Zino's capabilities.
post #379 of 794 Old 11-20-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Let me correct myself, media center UI browsing wasn't as snappy as I expected it to be. 1080p playback was ok if it was played locally without any background tasks, but streaming over wireless or playing hulu, youtube 1080p stuff resulted in unpleasant experience.

Again, in my experience, I haven't noticed any difference in performance when doing a side by side comparison with my i7 system. The UI is just as smooth (and this is extremely important for me). As far as non-flash 1080p video...I haven't had much problems either locally or through my wired network. I did have some issues with wireless streaming, but I later figured out that it wasn't actually the zino's fault. Still, my zino is a dedicated HTPC running media center and I don't have any additional background tasks...so maybe that's what makes the difference.

Quote:

So I already saw that people reporting issues with 1080p playback with 410 as well, but I agree that $499 option is probably the best choice. Which now brought me to a question, why not spend $100+ extra for a mini which in base config can handle anything and more.

Yeah, I'm skipping the 410 too, though with a good discount deal it might be significantly cheaper. For instance, I bought the 6850/4330 Zino last year on black Friday for around $360 (with discount and cashback)...it was worth it for that price.

Btw, just out of curiosity, can the mini smoothly handle youtube 4k video? It's completely unnecessary but it would be cool if it does.
post #380 of 794 Old 11-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

heh, 4k videos forget it... at least on a base config.

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #381 of 794 Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha View Post

PER DELL PARTS CHAT
Customer: i need the price and how to order Dell part number 02CXVG
Agent: I'll be glad to assist you on that.
Agent: By the way, how soon do you need the item so I can check for its availability as well?
Customer: as soon as possible however it is not critical for operation
Agent: Thank you for patiently waiting.
Agent: As per checking, the IR Receiver board for Inspiron 410 is for $5.99
Agent: Unfortunately, we do not have it currently on stock.
Customer: do you have an estimated stock date?
Agent: We can try to request this part and see if they would be able to provide any allocation so we can order this, if not, we would need to wait approximately a week or two for the stock to be replenished.

------------------------

So there you go, the part number is 02CXVG and the price is $5.99

I went ahead and had them request to order it for me and they are supposed to send me an email when it becomes available for me to order.
The expected time for stock is 1-2 weeks at this time according to the CSR.

BTW, it might be nice to have a post on the first page that details all the findings for the unit so people do not necessarily have to dig through all the pages for info like the part number and price of the IR Board........

Dell could not find this part # in their system today.
post #382 of 794 Old 11-21-2010, 12:05 PM

^I want to buy it! someone should put those IR on ebay or something
post #383 of 794 Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 AM

For the Zino fans, this is your chance, just found this site and ordered one. A lot choices.

http://www.gifts.com/ssp?slkw=dell%2...34922578&site=

I think the 1st one is the best buy, nearly $300 off the regular price.
post #384 of 794 Old 11-22-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeling View Post

For the Zino fans, this is your chance, just found this site and ordered one. A lot choices.

Hi wheeling,

THANK YOU!!! Where on earth did you find this? I was going to wait until Black Friday to place an order but I really doubted there would be very much of a discount. With this I was able to save about $125! I did use the first one but was able to back off on some items, like the colored top and 6 GB of RAM instead of 8, and compared it to the same config priced normally and it was $125 cheaper.

So, once again, THANKS!!!

Gerry
post #385 of 794 Old 11-22-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post

Hi wheeling,

THANK YOU!!! Where on earth did you find this? I was going to wait until Black Friday to place an order but I really doubted there would be very much of a discount. With this I was able to save about $125! I did use the first one but was able to back off on some items, like the colored top and 6 GB of RAM instead of 8, and compared it to the same config priced normally and it was $125 cheaper.

So, once again, THANKS!!!

Gerry

I do not think this is a good deal. It does allow more configuration but in that configuration it comes with a DVD drive instead of a bluray drive, for which you can buy for $30 more than that configured price at $650, at least last week. So I personally wouldn't call this as a good deal.

Config from that site with Phenom, 750gb, 6gb, 5450, and DVD DRIVE = 620
Same config but with bluray drive was 650 last week
post #386 of 794 Old 11-23-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaqxman View Post

I do not think this is a good deal. It does allow more configuration but in that configuration it comes with a DVD drive instead of a bluray drive, for which you can buy for $30 more than that configured price at $650, at least last week. So I personally wouldn't call this as a good deal.

Config from that site with Phenom, 750gb, 6gb, 5450, and DVD DRIVE = 620
Same config but with bluray drive was 650 last week

Hi ipaqxman,

For me it was a good price as I did not want a Blu Ray drive as I already have a stand alone player. While the config I ordered did have a couple of things I didn't want, its price was still $125 cheaper than what I would have ordered through the regular deals. So unless there is a better Black Friday deal, I am satisfied with this config and price!

Gerry
post #387 of 794 Old 11-23-2010, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeling View Post

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I was looking for the cheapest Zino and then upgrade the processor. The cheapest in the ad is the 2nd level but oddly has the low end CPU, but a little bigger HD.

If they want to have a sale, I really wish they would simply make their existing configuration cheaper. Why all the games? That's rhetorical, I know why.
post #388 of 794 Old 11-23-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I was looking for the cheapest Zino and then upgrade the processor. The cheapest in the ad is the 2nd level but oddly has the low end CPU, but a little bigger HD.

Unfortunately the better deal doesn't seem to be there any more!!

Gerry
post #389 of 794 Old 11-23-2010, 02:57 PM

Hi ALL,

Now that I've ordered my Zino 410, I want to get ready to start working on it once I get it. The first thing I will do is remove the bloat-ware, including Mcafee. I already have a multi-license copy of Noton which I like and I HATE Mcafee stuff.

The next thing will be to get the latest Flash version, but then I would like to make sure the drivers are the most recent. For the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450 MXM should I get the driver from the Dell support web site or directly from ATI. What would the latest version be?

Lastly should I try to update the drivers for the chipset, and if so what is the chipset anyway? Similar to the graphics driver should I get the chipset driver from Dell or ATI?

Thanks,
Gerry
post #390 of 794 Old 11-23-2010, 06:36 PM

^I have zino 410 with ati radeon 5450 and I installed the drivers here:

http://support.amd.com/fr/gpudownloa...b_win7-64.aspx

No problems encoutered so far for me. Just download and install the 92mbs file.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page