Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 794 Old 12-18-2010, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5jockey View Post

My old WMC remote will not work, but I got my Harmony 650 to work by the "Medion EPC II" workaround, thanks steph_22.

Hi ALL,

As have others I got my Harmony One to work instead of the Dell Media remote by having the Harmony SW match up the remote and it ended up as a "Medion EPC II" device. All the functions did work but a few buttons had to be learned. The last thing I wanted to set up with my Harmony One is the Favorite Channels, for the USB HD TV tuner I have working within the Media Center. After the remote was set up I tried it and was suprised to see that the Harmony was sending out the commands for the TV's buttons which threw the TV out of the HDMI input for the Zino and into its built-in tuner to tune the channels.

To make a long story short, the Harmony SW does not think that the "Medion EPC II" device can tune channels, so the only buttons it can send are from the TV. There is a solution though! I saw on a post on another forum that you should make the Dell remote a Windows Media Center device under Computers, Microsoft, Media PCs. This way it knows that it can tune channels. So when you set up the activity for the Zino, you need to say that the channels are changed by the Windows Media Center device.

BUT . . . there's one more gottcha! For some reason the IR codes from Harmony for the Windows Media Center device do NOT match up with the Dell remote and thus don't work! The solution is to just learn all of the buttons from the Dell remote into that device. It really doesn't take too long and after that everything works, including favorite channel changing. I have no idea why the Dell remote did not match up with the Windows Media Center device IR codes as I would have thought the Dell remote was a standard Win Media Center remote. But as long as it works it was no big deal!!

Gerry

P. S. When you learn the Dell buttons, the one marked as ".*" must be labeled as "." so that it will match up properly when you set up a favorite channel such as "8.1".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 794 Old 12-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHodge View Post

I had to get rid of McAffee to remove it's firewall that was blocking my access with Remote Desktop. Why would anyone want a McAffee firewall when Windows comes with a perfectly good one? I use CA Security for my anti-virus. I've used it for years with no complaints.

I tossed the PowerDvd and am using TMT 5 for playing my BluRay disks and rips. It works way better. PowerDvd won't let you play ripped movies. IMO PowerDvd is a POC!!

I got a question for you, if you don't mind. I have my Zino hooked up and going and I am taking about 400 DVD's to ISO and putting them on drives now (slow process). In the meantime I am plotting and planning my attack.

I intend to use use Media Browser, I setup a copy on another laptop with WMC7 and was able to get it to work at a satisfactory level (artwork, playback, etc). The DVD playback on the Zino is coming from Power DVD 9.5 (?) and playing inside WM. This is rather important to me... my goal is to keep everything inside WM if possible.

I was looking at TMT5, which looks like a good product and I like the idea of the upconverting of the standard def content. However, if I am getting around in MediaBrowser I will be using their playback setup and not something like TMT5, correct?

I guess i am confused a bit on that issue - they are all seperate products and other than integration into the WM menus and remote control operatation they really just act on their own, correct? Is there a way to have XMBC, Media Browser, My Movies or whatever use the 'engine' from something like TMT5?

The reason I ask is that I can get it for under $65 for two more days, I will pay for it if its the primo playback method, I just want to use Media Browser as the way to get around the content...

I will probably cross-post this in the TMT5 forum as well, but I wanted to ask here since you are dealing directly with a Zino as well (so I assume that TMT5 is running fine on the Zino hardware?)
post #483 of 794 Old 12-19-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozags View Post

I intend to use use Media Browser, I setup a copy on another laptop with WMC7 and was able to get it to work at a satisfactory level (artwork, playback, etc). The DVD playback on the Zino is coming from Power DVD 9.5 (?) and playing inside WM. This is rather important to me... my goal is to keep everything inside WM if possible.

I have no experience with Media Browser, so I quickly took a look at it (out of curiosity). It appears to be some sort of media library utility to make it easier to categorize and find your media files. It seems that you can get MediaBrowser to play your media directly with TMT. I found the following link that discusses it.

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/per...n-mediabrowser

I'm "pretty" sure PowerDvd has nothing to do with Windows Media Center or Windows Media Player. I'm pretty sure it's just a program that is provided by Dell that is pre-loaded on the Zino.

I don't use Windows Media Center or PowerDvd. Just TMT 5 on my Zino. So far it seems to work just fine for me. I've watched several BluRay rips (ripped with AnyDvd). They all played back really well. I didn't rip them as ISO's, but I think TMT should play that format too.

Let me know how it turns out.

Edit: Another thought.... I used Acronis Disk Director to take my 1TB drive and split it into a C: and D: drive. The C: drive is 50 Gb and the D: is 950 Gb (more or less). The reason I did this is to allow me to keep all my media on the D: and the system software on the C:. That way I can back up (and recover if need be) the C: drive partition daily without having to backup massive static media files.
post #484 of 794 Old 12-20-2010, 08:53 AM

is there any website selling internal IR reciever that would work with any media center remote and also fit inside the zino?

I found one on ebay but i'm not sure.
post #485 of 794 Old 12-20-2010, 04:39 PM

For anyone interested.

I found a utility today that lets me control my Zino's mouse and keyboard from my wireless notebook.

http://synergy-foss.org/pm/projects/...y/tabs/welcome

It's not like a Remote Desktop or PC Anywhere. It's only function is to let you control the mouse and keyboard on another computer using your wired/wireless LAN.

I used it to launch and watch a BluRay movie with my Zino today using my notebook that I keep with me on the couch.

It actually worked really well. I now no longer need to use the cheap-o wireless keyboard that I purchased with my 410HD. My notebook has a great keyboard with a nice ergo Logitech mouse.

It's probably not quite the same as using a Dell Media Remote or Harmony, but it does all the same things as an Ir remote plus gives you the ability to do all the things you would normally use a keyboard/mouse for. And since it uses your LAN, there is no need to use an IR receiver or USB port to control the Zino from your couch.

I don't endorse or promote this product. I just found it today and found it to be pretty cool.
post #486 of 794 Old 12-20-2010, 05:23 PM

Does anyone know if there's a way to reconfigure the IR receiver to accept commands from the 1039 remote or the Microsoft IR media center keyboard?
post #487 of 794 Old 12-20-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
Does anyone know if there's a way to reconfigure the IR receiver to accept commands from the 1039 remote or the Microsoft IR media center keyboard?
I'm not an IR expert. But I'm willing to bet that the easiest way to go is to get a USB IR dongle that is known to be compatible with your remote control.

If you go to the Total Media Theatre forum, they discuss various MCE Remotes IR options at length (for use with their product of course). Probably elsewhere on this forum, would be a good place to look too.
post #488 of 794 Old 12-20-2010, 05:59 PM

I've thought about just getting a different dongle but I really like the thought of minimizing the setup... it's already got a receiver. Seems like there must be some way to change the codes it responds to.
post #489 of 794 Old 12-22-2010, 03:23 AM

I just got one and am dissappointed with the lack of standard remote codes as well. I have a URC MX850 and it's code base has 11 MC sets and 8 Dell sets, all of which do nothing! When I saw the Codes for Dell I thought I was in business. No shot!

Anyone that learned the codes for their MX remote or Phillips care to share? Like you, I'd hate to have to buy another crappy remote just to learn the codes. Anyone in the Bucks County, PA area have one for a quick borrow?

Any help would be appreciated. I have 3 850s, one of which is already used for my main HTPC using a USBUIRT dongle. That and MediaBrowser is usually all I need to navigate thru my setup.

Pete
post #490 of 794 Old 12-22-2010, 10:29 AM

After reading about all the problems with built-in IR Receiver, I'm now thinking about getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-RC6-Recei.../dp/B0031YBF9M

I know it's external, but if it works without hassle with my Harmony, then it's worth the $15 cost.

Anyone ever use one of these?
post #491 of 794 Old 12-22-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
After reading about all the problems with built-in IR Receiver, I'm now thinking about getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-RC6-Recei.../dp/B0031YBF9M

I know it's external, but if it works without hassle with my Harmony, then it's worth the $15 cost.

Anyone ever use one of these?
That looks exactly like the IR receiver that came with my XP MCE remote a couple years ago. I've been using it for years (since before Vista came out, whenever that was) with no issues. It uses standard MCE remote codes, including the discrete codes for Videos, Pictures, etc that are available on some remotes. It works great with my Logitech Harmony.

I have the Dell built-in IR receiver on my 410, and due to it's non-standard config I'm seriously considering switching back to the external IR receiver.

The only thing I don't like about it is the OBNOXIOUSLY long cord. It's a good two feet long, which would be useful if you hide your components, but with my setup I end up with a giant ball of USB cable adding to the mess.
post #492 of 794 Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglet View Post
That looks exactly like the IR receiver that came with my XP MCE remote a couple years ago. I've been using it for years (since before Vista came out, whenever that was) with no issues. It uses standard MCE remote codes, including the discrete codes for Videos, Pictures, etc that are available on some remotes. It works great with my Logitech Harmony.
Thanks Meglet,

I looked into it some more and found the same item wer'e discussing for the same price which also includes the MCE remote too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O1L01A/...=5336653703-20
post #493 of 794 Old 12-23-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglet View Post

I have the Dell built-in IR receiver on my 410, and due to it's non-standard config . . .

I'm curious. Does anyone know why the Dell remote uses non-standard codes. I was able to get my Harmony One to do everything I want it to do including favorite channels, using a few work-arounds. So I'm satisfied but it would have been simpler if the Dell remote used the standard codes.

Gerry
post #494 of 794 Old 12-23-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post

I'm curious. Does anyone know why the Dell remote uses non-standard codes. I was able to get my Harmony One to do everything I want it to do including favorite channels, using a few work-arounds. So I'm satisfied but it would have been simpler if the Dell remote used the standard codes.

Gerry

I don't have the internal IR board on my 410. Is it possible for you to tell me what device driver is being loaded on your's for the IR? If you could determine that I might be able to find a better driver that is more MCE compatable.

I've had zero luck trying to find this info via Google or Dell.

EDIT: I looked into it some more and I'm wondering if anyone could go to the Device Manager and then to System Devices, do you see an entry for "Consumer IR Devices". My 410 doesn't, but if yours does, then that's probably the driver used for the IR sensor. If there is one, could you tell me what it says in "Driver Details" for the device?
post #495 of 794 Old 12-23-2010, 01:03 PM

Just got the 410 this week and set it up as an XBMC box. Thanks for all the good tips (e.g., select Medion remote for Harmony) on here, as it has reduced my frustrations somewhat. I also picked up the X10 automation components that were mentioned here that allows us to be true couch potatoes. However, I decided that I want box to be in a constant ready state without having to wait for bootup. Therefore, I was content with the zino being brought out of suspend mode. What I first did was change the "what happens when I push the power button" in the power options in the control panel from "turn off" to "suspend". Then I had my Harmony 550 learn the power off key (i.e., red button) of the Dell remote that shipped with the zino. Voila!

My only frustration is with getting the zino to accept MS Media Center keyboard commands. For example, I would like to map the "T" key to my Harmony so that I can turn on subtitles without having to go through the XBMC menus. Aside from getting a USB IR receiver, is there any hope for getting the Dell built-in receiver to accept keyboard strokes?
post #496 of 794 Old 12-25-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:

I had a similar problem when trying to play downloaded Amazon videos with Windows Media Player.

Even though the video is HD with 5.1 channel sound, the Windows Media Player would only playback 2 Channel PCM through my HDMI cable.

So I went to the audio playback settings (from the audio icon on the toolbar) and looked at the properties for the ATI HDMI Audio Driver. I found a speaker setup utility there. It was set to 2 speakers by default. So I changed it to 5.1 speakers (it also has an option for 7.1 speakers). It played back a test tone on each of my speakers and woofer.

After doing that I replayed the video with Windows Media Player and I'm now getting 5.1 channel PCM playback.

Hope that helps your situation. I don't use the SPIDF audio out, so I don't know if the Reltech audio driver has a similar option or not for that output.

Thanks for responding. I did find the speaker configuration setting but I still don't have the 7.1 option.

I have the 5450 card, the latest Realtek ATI HDMI driver (2.55) and a Samsung 7.1 HTIB system. The 7.1 option is also missing in Realtek HD Audio Manager. It's also missing when I use the latest ATI HDMI driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #497 of 794 Old 12-26-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varealtor View Post

Thanks for responding. I did find the speaker configuration setting but I still don't have the 7.1 option.

I have the 5450 card, the latest Realtek ATI HDMI driver (2.55) and a Samsung 7.1 HTIB system. The 7.1 option is also missing in Realtek HD Audio Manager. It's also missing when I use the latest ATI HDMI driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think the ATI HDMI drivers are for controlling Video/Audio output through the HDMI connector. While the Realtek Drivers are for controlling the optical (SPIDIF) output.

So even though you have the lastest HDMI driver it might not help your audio playback through the optical output.

If you go the audio playback devices you should see two devices. One for the ATI HDMI Audio Driver Setup and another for the Realtek Audio Driver Setup.

If you trying to use the optical audio output, I would focus on the Realtek drivers and if your using HDMI audio then focus on the ATI HDMI drivers.

I only use the ATI HDMI connected to my AV receiver for my Video/Audio. So I can't give you much help with the optical output settings.
post #498 of 794 Old 12-28-2010, 12:47 PM

I'm looking into using the Dell Zino to run XBMC (Aeon MQ 2 skin) to playback atleast 720p mkv files. I'm not sure what setup is suitable? Can I get some thoughts from people who are running a similar setup.
post #499 of 794 Old 12-29-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:

I think the ATI HDMI drivers are for controlling Video/Audio output through the HDMI connector. While the Realtek Drivers are for controlling the optical (SPIDIF) output.

So even though you have the lastest HDMI driver it might not help your audio playback through the optical output.

If you go the audio playback devices you should see two devices. One for the ATI HDMI Audio Driver Setup and another for the Realtek Audio Driver Setup.

If you trying to use the optical audio output, I would focus on the Realtek drivers and if your using HDMI audio then focus on the ATI HDMI drivers.

I only use the ATI HDMI connected to my AV receiver for my Video/Audio. So I can't give you much help with the optical output settings.

I'm only using HDMI. Realtek has an HDMI driver. I've also tried the ATI driver as well and I'm still having the same problem.

I may be just grasping at straws but could the problem be my HTiB system. It's a 7.1 configuration but my two rear surround speakers are connected wirelessly. Could it be that my HDMI connection can only "see" the speakers that are physically connected to my receiver?
post #500 of 794 Old 12-30-2010, 02:51 PM

The Dell Outlet has a number of 410's and there is a 15% coupon right now. One odd thing is that the video options listed (HD3200, HD4330) are the Zino 400 options. But the processors are the newer Zino 410 choices.

I did spec out a couple of systems and based on the detailed parts list, they appear to be 410's. (You have add a system to the shopping cart and then look at the system details to see the parts list.) However, on a 410 listed with HD4330 graphics, it did list that as a part.

So that's mysterious. Am I missing something? Anyone have a clue about this? Maybe they are all miscategorized in one way or another?
post #501 of 794 Old 12-30-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post

The Dell Outlet has a number of 410's and there is a 15% coupon right now. One odd thing is that the video options listed (HD3200, HD4330) are the Zino 400 options. But the processors are the newer Zino 410 choices.

I did spec out a couple of systems and based on the detailed parts list, they appear to be 410's. (You have add a system to the shopping cart and then look at the system details to see the parts list.) However, on a 410 listed with HD4330 graphics, it did list that as a part.

So that's mysterious. Am I missing something? Anyone have a clue about this? Maybe they are all miscategorized in one way or another?

Didnt see any Zino 410 atm, pretty sure its 400 especially if its with the older video gfx. Not worth it imo to get a refurb Dell (or any refurb tech gadgets.)
post #502 of 794 Old 12-30-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eudora View Post

Didnt see any Zino 410 atm, pretty sure its 400 especially if its with the older video gfx. Not worth it imo to get a refurb Dell (or any refurb tech gadgets.)

There are tons of 410's; just use the selector on the left side of the Outlet page.
post #503 of 794 Old 12-30-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:

There are tons of 410's; just use the selector on the left side of the Outlet page.

Ah okie, I miss the selector. Was going through the main outlet page which list 410 as coming soon...
post #504 of 794 Old 12-31-2010, 10:37 AM

I just ordered a 410 off of Outlets. I haven't seen any mention of the integrated IR recvr on these Outlet models, so I may need to find and purchase that separately.

Dell Zino 410
AMD X2 P340 2.2GHZ
4GB Ram
Radeon 4330
500GB SATA HD
Dell 1501 Wireless N
8x DVDRW
In-home service for 1st year (+$6.00)
-----------------------
$375.78 after tax/ship/coupon
post #505 of 794 Old 12-31-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:

I asked Dell in chat and on the phone about the odd graphics choices but did not get a satisfactory answer. They claimed that what it says is what you get.
I ordered a 410 anyway. It says it has HD3200, but we'll see; I'll report back when it arrives.
post #506 of 794 Old 12-31-2010, 04:16 PM

Dell outlet is notorious for incorrect information for new models. Rest assured that you will get a 4250.

The desktop model number is the one that you need to worry about.

If it is says 410, it will be 4250 as base graphics. If i have to guess, the upgraded 4330 is for the 5450.
post #507 of 794 Old 12-31-2010, 04:19 PM

I ordered one too from outlet, to be a secodary media center pc. I went with the lowest config with dual core CPU available for $289.

+ there is a 15% coupon that makes it 246.50 + tax

It is a steal at that price.
post #508 of 794 Old 12-31-2010, 04:26 PM

You might aready have looked at this.

But here is the CPU benchmark score for 6850 : 1023
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...ual+Core+6850e

Here is the CPU bench mark for P340: 1295
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...P340+Dual-Core

There are artificial bench marks but probably ok for relative comparision purposes.

Thanks
Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phy88 View Post

I'd be interested to see if the zino's with the P340 and P940 processors could easily handle 1080p flash video without gpu acceleration. That would tell me everything I need to know about the processors and whether it's worth buying another zino (I have the top config from the previous generation, 6850/4330, and it's not as powerful as I would like).

post #509 of 794 Old 01-02-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravic View Post

Dell outlet is notorious for incorrect information for new models. Rest assured that you will get a 4250.

The desktop model number is the one that you need to worry about.

If it is says 410, it will be 4250 as base graphics. If i have to guess, the upgraded 4330 is for the 5450.

i hope your right, i just got a dual core, 4gb of ram, 500gb, $315 shipped, there better be a 4250 in there!
post #510 of 794 Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniti029 View Post

I just ordered a 410 off of Outlets. I haven't seen any mention of the integrated IR recvr on these Outlet models, so I may need to find and purchase that separately.

Dell Zino 410
AMD X2 P340 2.2GHZ
4GB Ram
Radeon 4330
500GB SATA HD
Dell 1501 Wireless N
8x DVDRW
In-home service for 1st year (+$6.00)
-----------------------
$375.78 after tax/ship/coupon

Received my Zino today. Like people mentioned, the video card listed in Dell Outlet for the 410's are indeed INCORRECT. It told me I had a 4330 when ordering, but I have the proper AMD 5450.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page