Official Dell Zino 410 HTPC - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 794 Old 01-03-2012, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tried the earlier driver but still have freezing & stuttering problem with 1080p. Will upgrading CPU help ? Which CPU is the better choice ? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 794 Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Your weak link is the 4200 GPU. Nothing you can do about it though because it is a chip on the mobo. Your only hope is to continue tweaking drivers and settings. Is it just rips or do actual Blu-ray discs stutter too? Are DVDs okay? You can try returning it - tell them that the BD won't play correctly and that you want an exchange or refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtag View Post

Tried the earlier driver but still have freezing & stuttering problem with 1080p. Will upgrading CPU help ? Which CPU is the better choice ? Thanks.

post #783 of 794 Old 01-04-2012, 03:14 PM

To those expecting a new zino, well.... don't! dell won't make them anymore unfortunately

Buy an htpc case and build your own.... at least it will be upgradable, which the zino isn't.

I've been using my zino for 2 years and I never had much problem... except the processor is kinda slow..... I would like to upgrade it to a sandybridge but that's just impossible.
post #784 of 794 Old 01-31-2012, 01:04 AM

Yeap it seems that Dell has killed off the Zino for good, to enter the Tablet business.

Anyway someone posted an idea at ideastorm to revive the zino line, go and vote for it!

p/s: I can't seem to post the link here, go to ideastorm and search for Bring Back Zino HD
post #785 of 794 Old 03-04-2012, 12:39 PM

Is the ATI 5450 MXM Discrete Graphics card in the Zino 410 HD actually a embedded board module? This question was asked earlier in this thread, but I never saw an answer.
On another subject, I just installed an SSD (128gb) in my 410 in place of the 1TB hard drive because I had always thought their was too much noise coming from the standard hard drive. I even had Dell replace it once to see if it woud get better. I didn't seem much better to me. e tech and I decided it was the designed location of the harddrive that made it easier to hear when it was reading or writing. Now all you hear is the little fan, as has been discussed in the forum. I didn't noctice an actual video card in a slot when I had the Zino 410 open. I do remember seeing the wireless card.
Has anyone anyone actually see the location of this module or card?
I was actually thinking of upgrading the video if it is actually possible to change a MXM type A or type III card.
Never mind, I decided to check from the bottom of the 410 and found the video card. It is MXM Version 3.0, type A.
post #786 of 794 Old 07-02-2012, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Anyone know why Dell stopped making Zinos? My 410 has been a nice, problem free machine. I can't believe it is 2 years old.
post #787 of 794 Old 08-19-2012, 10:08 AM

Two questions...

1. Can I buy an IR blaster to install on this thing?

I'm using an old MS one, but it's big and the red light blinks a lot even when i'm not using it (could never figure this out)

2. MKVs don't seem to like to play in Windows Media Center, any tips? They just won't start, I tried the Shark 007 codec.
post #788 of 794 Old 08-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniti029 View Post

Two questions...
1. Can I buy an IR blaster to install on this thing?

2. MKVs don't seem to like to play in Windows Media Center, any tips? They just won't start, I tried the Shark 007 codec.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345585126&sr=8-1&keywords=remote+wmc
I use this one, it has a red light but doesnt blink unless a button is being pressed.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1250607/windows-7-media-center-setup-guide-knowledge-base-support#user_4
I followed this guide and I can play MKV's.
post #789 of 794 Old 11-23-2012, 03:28 PM

Liked: 11
Well I have come to the conclusion that the Dell Zino is a complete piece of crap.

Not only have system updates knocked out my ability to play a Blu-Ray disc in the blu-ray drive but now the computer no longer even works. About 2 years old now and it is nothing more then a paperweight.

Went to backup a new blu-ray that I purchased and it told me it could not read the HDD, although I was just in the HD and created the folder for the movie. So I said Ill just reboot it to clear it up...when I did that it is on the Dell screen and the blue progress bar went about 50% of the way and everything just locked...now I cant do anything...even powering down and unplugging the computer does nothing. When it starts back up it instantly goes to the same screen (in the past I would get the option of safe reboot) but nothing now.

I cant do anything - cant try to halt the startup with F8 it does nothing.

I was sold on this being the HTPC to have...small, powerful, everything I needed for the HT and it lasted 2 years.

Unless anyone has any suggestions Im going to take it and throw it at the wall.

XBL - Poongamer PS3 - Poongamer
post #790 of 794 Old 11-23-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Is the fan on the underside of the main board working? I believe it cools the GPU, IIRC. If it craps out the unit will overheat and lock up. I had to replace mine a while back, but it's been working like a champ ever since. I got my Zino 400 during a Black Friday sale when they first came out. Aside from the overheating issues due to the flaky fan, it's been working great.
post #791 of 794 Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 AM

Did anyone here tried to upgrade their Zino 410 to Windows 8? Mine has been running very well for close to 2 years now but I tried a clean install of Windows 8 pro just for fun last week and I still can't get any sound out of it. The install was quick and clean, most drivers where detected by the install process. i Then Installed the latest Realtek drivers, HDMI codecs, and it is still a no go. I can see the HDMI output and the Digital output in the sound control panel, but both are not working if I make them default. All I get for a sound is a big boum and then nothing.

I know the thread is not very active but if anyone is watching an has input, I'm a taker.
post #792 of 794 Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 AM

I upgraded mine to Windows 8 a few months ago with no issues. I was impressed with Windows 8's driver support out-of-the-box.
post #793 of 794 Old 02-15-2013, 12:47 PM

Liked: 12
No upgrade to Windows 8 but I upgraded my system with 8 gigs of ddr3 memory a few months ago, and yesterday I upgraded to a Samsung 840 120gb SSD. 15 second boot time from the time intern it on to the main menu of Windows Media Center. Big improvement with videos from Netflix as well.

Two years and still going strong.
post #794 of 794 Old 12-27-2013, 07:41 PM

I own a zino 410 AMD Athlon II P340 Dual-Core
upgraded with a Phenom N620 Dual-Core.

All is ok since a year.
Is it possible to put a Phenom Quad-Core N 950 or otherwise?
Thank you for your help.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page