Help with HTPC audio - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 08-15-2010, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well thats what I thought, I think the line-out must double as SP/DIFF but I can't be sure because I don't have the motherboard manual and cannot find one online. I was wondering if there was some way to test it.

I want to connect audio directly to my TV as I don't yet have a SP/DIFF out or a graphics card supporting HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Qaq

Liked: 12
Bistream HDMI is great for movies, but LPCM HDMI for classical music is nightmare. Your wife won't be happy with this.

Burned by the Audio Inquisition
post #33 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 04:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0ud View Post

Well thats what I thought, I think the line-out must double as SP/DIFF but I can't be sure because I don't have the motherboard manual and cannot find one online. I was wondering if there was some way to test it.

I want to connect audio directly to my TV as I don't yet have a SP/DIFF out or a graphics card supporting HDMI.

SONY 40V4000 does not have any kind of SPDIF IN. If you integrate an AVR in your system, you will use HDMI (which supersedes SPDIF) exclusively. Then why bother with S/PDIF?
post #34 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 04:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post

Bistream HDMI is great for movies, but LPCM HDMI for classical music is nightmare. Your wife won't be happy with this.

Stereo PCM over HDMI is identical with that over S/PDIF. HDMI also supports multichannel LPCM. The point is use WASAPI Exclusive mode (whichever specifications you use, S/PDIF or HDMI) to send audio signals *faithful* to the original source to the audio driver.
post #35 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 05:28 AM
Qaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Stereo PCM over HDMI is identical with that over S/PDIF. HDMI also supports multichannel LPCM. The point is use WASAPI Exclusive mode (whichever specifications you use, S/PDIF or HDMI) to send audio signals *faithful* to the original source to the audio driver.

I know all the tips for ages. I was hoping to use 5450 HDMI audio for music before i've got it and have tried it (WASAPI Excl, SR=44.1...192kHz)... No any single chance vs my Asus Xonar Essence ST (connected by analog!). LPCM over HDMI is more or less acceptable for movies but not for music. I mean it. Some different pair ATI5* + AVR may give better results, who knows... But i won't bet on it.

post #36 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 05:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Then it's not LPCM over SPDIF vs LPCM over HDMI, but it's DSP/DAC/pre-amp in a sound card vs. AVR, and there is no universal answer to which is better...(both options were mentioned before).
post #37 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 05:57 AM
Qaq

Yes, but it's not just different sound, it's sound i can't live with.

post #38 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 07:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Telling more about your audio equipments (the models of your AVR [for HDMI] and amp [for Xonar Essence ST; no H6?]) may be helpful for the op. Maybe somehow Xonar Essence ST makes 16 bit 44.1kHz sound more attractive?
post #39 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Qaq

I have:
1)ATI 5450 > HDMI (I prefer bitstream) > Onkyo 1007 (fronts bi-amped) > Dali Ikon for movies
2)Xonar Essence ST (modded a bit) > analog 2ch. > same Onkyo+Dali for music
Onkyo 1007 has a great sound for AVR, but not with LPCM over HDMI. Haven't tried s/pdif from ST.

post #40 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

SONY 40V4000 does not have any kind of SPDIF IN. If you integrate an AVR in your system, you will use HDMI (which supersedes SPDIF) exclusively. Then why bother with S/PDIF?

My TV has an audio socket next to HDMI port 3, the manual explains that if you are using DVI to HDMI then you can connect the audio to this port so I assumed that it was a SP/DIFF IN, if its not then what could it be? a line in?
post #41 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

My TV has an audio socket next to HDMI port 3, the manual explains that if you are using DVI to HDMI then you can connect the audio to this port so I assumed that it was a SP/DIFF IN, if its not then what could it be? a line in?

Analog stereo (any two channel source).
post #42 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post

Yeah I agree with that, the AVR setup/speakers, etc, are totally different. It would be hard to find a compromise so I thought it better to buy two AVR's one suited to classical music and one for movies.
post #43 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

Analog stereo (any two channel source).

If thats the case then thats fine since my TV only has two speakers I need more than 2 channel audio.
post #44 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
A bit off topic but something struck me. Sounds like you have the financial capacity to spend a bit of money since you plan to spend thousands on a sound system. If this is the case please do yourself a favor and toss out that really old computer you got and just build or buy a new HTPC which shouldn't cost you much more then $500-700 on the high end. You'll be much happier then spending near half that trying to cobble something together with that old computer.

Scott
post #45 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Alright I think, I've got it down now, HDMI to the AVR, DVI to the TV with Line-out. This way I can switch audio devices from within the PC.
post #46 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

A bit off topic but something struck me. Sounds like you have the financial capacity to spend a bit of money since you plan to spend thousands on a sound system. If this is the case please do yourself a favor and toss out that really old computer you got and just build or buy a new HTPC which shouldn't cost you much more then $500-700 on the high end. You'll be much happier then spending near half that trying to cobble something together with that old computer.

Actually I don't have allot money to spend so I'm trying to keep the additions to my HTPC to a minimum. I got this PC for free and the spec isn't bad for and HTPC (2Gig DDR2, Dual core Althon 64, Serial ATA, etc) so I'm trying to make the most of it if possible.

Yeah your right, if the cost of upgrading this PC is not much more than building a new one then its better to just build a new one thats one of the reasons I started this post, to learn more about home theater setups and workout what my options are. So far I haven't spent any money on it but I've already got it hooked up to my TV and have watched a few movies, trying to get a feel for it.

On the other hand, I could spend hundreds building the best HTPC I can afford and solve all of my problems but I think its more fun taking something old and learning to turn it into something better. I feel that building a home theater environment is a life time hobbie, I'm starting off with this old PC and no AVR but some time down the track I'll probably have changed the PC so much that it will be a new PC (according to the technology at the time)... and then it will be old again....
post #47 of 50 Old 08-16-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Line-Out is preamplified, is that such a bad thing? if so is there someway to improve this?
post #48 of 50 Old 08-17-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

I read from this post that ATI cards do pass audio over DVI but you need to use the supplied DVI to HDMI converter. Can anyone confirm this and will is pass 5.1 digital or not? if this is possible then all I really need a good graphics card and i can forget about using the line-out ot pass audio directly to the TV when i'm not using the AVR.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...ems-sound-help
post #49 of 50 Old 08-17-2010, 10:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I read from this post that ATI cards do pass audio over DVI but you need to use the supplied DVI to HDMI converter. Can anyone confirm this and will is pass 5.1 digital or not? if this is possible then all I really need a good graphics card and i can forget about using the line-out ot pass audio directly to the TV when i'm not using the AVR.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...ems-sound-help

This has been already mentioned (you can use this adapter for both HD 4xxx and HD 5xxx).

TV's HDMI IN supports only stereo PCM.

If AVR's standby mode is OK for you (AVR may consume 30-40W in this mode), switching between TV and AVR is pretty easy, and a single HDMI cable is enough. If you turn off AVR completely (unplugging it off the wall; zero watt) and want to use TV speakers, then you will need two HDMI cables, one of them via the DVI-HDMI adapter, and you may have to restart TV; even then your TV may not be recoginzed in the Sound control panel; disable/enable the device may be necessary.
post #50 of 50 Old 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

I read that post, must have missed that part. I'm looking at getting the HD5550 as it seem to have the HT features of the more expensive cards but being a lower performing card is cheaper.

Anyway I think I now understand how things need to be setup and what I need to get so I'll leave it at that. Thanks for all your help.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page