What's the best way to integrate Media Center Recorded TV in to Media Browser? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-11-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just received my 2 HDHomeruns, that I had purchased off of Woot. I'm finally able to start recording TV shows. I'll be using Windows Media Center 7 to record TV. From what I understand, Media Center just dumps all of the recordings into 1 folder. This is totally unacceptable. I'm currently using Media Browser as my front end, to view rips of my blu ray and DVD collection. I would also like to view my recorded TV shows through Media Browser. But in order to do so, I will need to have the TV shows in this file structure: C:\\TV Shows\\Supernatural\\Season 6\\Supernatural s06e01.wtv. I would like my future recordings to be sorted into the proper folders, so that they will display properly in Media Browser.

On the Media Browser website, under "Knowledge Base", there is a section called, "How to integrate Media Center Recorded TV in Media Browser." http://community.mediabrowser.tv/per...-media-browser It recommends using: MCEBuddy, Media Center Master, and MCEZ Sort. I'm wondering if anyone here is using this process as it's outlined. Is this the best way to get my recorded TV shows to display properly in Media Browser? Is there another program that will do this more efficiently; or is this the only way to do this? I'm already using Media Center Master; so that isn't an issue.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I think you may be jumping the gun a bit. You may want to give media center recorded tv a try before giving up on it. While it is true that all recorded shows are into one folder that is not what the actual media center GUI gives you. You will have options on how you want your recorded shows to appear. For example you could set it by title where all series episodes are grouped together. Recorded tv GUI is a lot more akin to a set top box GUI (a lot of people say it is better than most set top boxes) not just a folder with a bunch of files in it.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
It sorts it by show by default so you select what show you want to watch and then its sorted by date. I dont get what more you would want beyond that? Just get the channel logos addon and then you have nice logos for the guide as well.

*edit* nothing that I am aware of can do what you want except you doing what you want it to do. The files when recorded are not sorted into seasons. This you would have to do as well as name them. Once they are properly named (I cant find the proper structure offhand) a few different programs can sort them and put meta data on them so you have info about each episode when played from within media browser but there is nothing that by itself is going to take a recorded show and instinctively know what show it is and what season its from and what episode it is and then neatly sort them into folders. This is all done by hand basically. I personally find it easier and better just to download all the shows using ********** since someone else already usually did the dirty work of sorting them. Then use metabrowser and get metadata for them.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-12-2010, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've never had a problem with the way 7MC manages TV recordings. As mentioned, you can sort (and group) recordings in many ways, and get thumbnails in the preview as well. It's slick, neat and reliable. I also use MB, and have some TV shows that were TV recordings in there as well. I keep a seperate folder on my WHS (TV Shows), then subfolders with the series name. I then just rename the .wtv file to something more appropriate (e.g. showname.S01E01.wtv), and scrape the metadata. Shows up in MB and plays fine through the 7MC internal player.

If you use WHS and the PP3 Win7 connector, then you also have the option of archiving favorite TV shows to the server (manually or automatically), so you can have you recordings in two places. Once you do this, any 7MC PC around the house can view them as well.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-12-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
I guess I am jumping the gun here. I'll give Windows Media Center a try. And if I don't like the way it looks, I'll just manually rename and move the shows I want to keep. Thanks for the advice guys.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page