Newbie seeking advice: WinDVD v PowerDVD v ArcSoft - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 08-11-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

After much browsing, including many forums, it looks like this forum will give me a balanced and informed answer. I hope I'm right!

I recently splashed out eleven hundred pounds on a new Asus N71 JQ laptop with the following spec:

Core i7 Q720 (1.60 MHz)
ATI HD 5730 (1GB)
4GB DDR3 RAM
17.3" HD display (1080p)
Blu Ray DVD Drive
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

This came bundled with an OEM version of Cyberlink Blu Ray Disc Suite 7, which is an old version of the current MediaSuite 8, which included PowerDVD 9.0.

PowerDVD 9.0 WILL NOT PLAY Blu Ray discs under the 64-bit version of Windows 7. The 32-bit version is fine. The only workaround is to physically move the SATA connections around so that the BluRay DVD drive is not contiguous with any other SATA drive, but this is obviously not practical on a laptop.

I contacted the seller (LaptopsDirect) who spoke to their Asus rep and confirmed that there was indeed a problem with PowerDVD 9/Win7-64. They said they'd do something about it. In the meantime, I downloaded a 21-day trial of PowerDVD 10, which DOES run properly under Windows 7 64-bit and I enjoyed excellent BluRay HD playback until the trial expired. Yesterday, Asus replied and sent me a link to their solution, which turned out to be exactly the same software as they bundled with the laptop as new. So I STILL can't play BluRay discs on my shiny new BluRay laptop. Thanks, Asus! Way to go!

It looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and pay for some playback software myself, so I am now seeking advice from this forum as to which software to buy.

Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 seemed OK, although there were a few interface problems in Cinema mode (the on-screen remote control being one of them) and I experienced the occasional stutter.

Corel WinDVD 2010 Pro is obviously another major competitor, although their website doesn't seem tio shout about it too much when compared to the others (but maybe that's a good thing....?)

Finally, Arcsoft TMT 3 seems to get some good reviews: it looks like it integrates well with WMP (although that isn't too important to me) and the price is quite competitive, especially if I download the trial first.

I've noticed discussions on this forum concerning power of processors and choice of graphics card, so I'm wondering if you could recommend which package would be best for me bearing in mind the particular spec of my laptop.

Please also bear in mind that I will mainly be playing original BluRay discs, as opposed to files stored on my hard drive, and so I don't want to have to mess around with ripping ISO images, etc, etc. I just want to put them in and watch them!

Thanks very much to all who have read this far (!) and I look forward to your technically informed help and assistance.

Thank you,

miles_muso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 08:52 AM

You have a well-spec'd machine to play blu-ray. In comparison, my lowly laptop with a 1.2 GHz SU2300 with Intel GMA4500MHD GPU on x64 Win7, the PowerDVD 10 trial can play back blu-rays with no problem. I've been been using TMT3 on my main HTPC and it simply works in my setup. I use the Media Center mode.

I just started experimenting with PDVD 10 to compare to TMT3. As far as the Media Center integration, PDVD 10 appears as though it might be better integrated in some respects. The info overlay appears to be WMC-native looking compared to TMT3. Another feature PDVD 10 has that I am interested in trying is Dynamic Range Compression. Although I hate to use it, my spouse is constantly asking me to turn the volume down.

In the next few weeks, I plan to install the PDVD10 trial on my main HTPC and throw some of my collection at it to see how it handles it. I'll update this thread with my experience then.

Aaron Ledger - Senior Design Engineer, Ceton Corp.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks swoon for a detailed reply. I think I'm gonna go with PDVD 10, unless anybody else replies negatively in the next few days.
post #4 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Arcsoft TMT3 platinum hands down IMO. I don't want that bloated PDVD junk on my PC.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 11:26 AM

I've used both and I'm throwing in my vote for arcsoft tmt3 as well. powerdvd is so hit or miss on everything for me, I don't even bother with it anymore.

HTPC always in progess...
things I've learned here:
"the sound of a power cord" is BS.
turn your center speaker 90 degrees.
avoid women who require WAF in a HT.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 02:37 PM

i will never use powerdvd just for that moovielive spyware

English Is Not My First Language
My HD-DVD/BD Collection

post #7 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Get the TMT trial - but no dolby audio.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #8 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, so many replies! I have in fact downloaded the TMT trial (platinum version.) I'll post again once I've seen the quality.

Thanks to everyone for your advice - I truly believe that forums are one of the best things to come from the internet. Where else can people like me get advice from people like you for nothing?
post #9 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 07:02 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATA7 View Post

i will never use powerdvd just for that moovielive spyware

its easily disabled...
post #10 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

well I got an lg blu ray drive and it came with powerdvd9 3d
they say it plays blu ray disk.
I put in van helsing and it says does not support playback of this format.

even tried the powerdvd settings in anydvdhd to see if it would play an unprotected disk.
NOPE

So I gave up on powerdvd right then

as stated above
bloated PDVD junk
moovielive spyware

its junk
post #11 of 21 Old 08-12-2010, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
MPC-HC is the best .....

FSChris
ASROCK H67 GE / HT
Core i3

Carver AV-705 5Channel AMP
Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY

Emotiva XPA3

Emotiva UMC 200

2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY

post #12 of 21 Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

well I got an lg blu ray drive and it came with powerdvd9 3d
they say it plays blu ray disk.
I put in van helsing and it says does not support playback of this format.

Etrin,

Blu Ray discs are NOT recognised with PowerDVD9 under Windows 7 x64, only under Windows 7 x32. PowerDVD10 does work correctly under all versions of Windows 7.

However, I agree with everyone else that it's bloatware and, for that reason, I went with TMT.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-14-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have been using PowerDVD 9 Ultra for about a year. I access PowerDVD 9 Ultra through Media Browser in 7MC.

One two week period PowerDVD 9 Ultra stopped reading blu-ray disks until cyberlink sent me a download link for a different version. Otherwise, it has generally played blu-ray disks. Recently, Green Zone would not load which I attributed to the live features not loading. Green Zone would load and play in my PS3

DVD's have been a long and intermittent problem. Sometimes PowerDVD 9 Ultra starts up and then freezes before the DVD loads. It brings up a programs called Koanbox which asks if I want to debug. Koanbox sometimes freezes but if I can tell Koanbox no I do not want to debug PowerDVD 9 Ultra will play the DVD. Sometimes PowerDVD 9 Ultra will play a DVD without a problem. Occasionally every thing runs fine for a while and I think I have fixed the problem. Then the problem returns. I can shut down media center or restart win 7 or turn the computer off and restart the computer and sometimes PowerDVD9 will play the DVD. It is a frustrating problem. Cyberlink does not have a solution except to tell me to wipe my boot drive and start fresh. I trust Cyberlink so little and that solution is so time consuming I would rather buy TMT and give it a try. From an internet search I know I am not the only person experiencing this problem but I do not know how wide spread the problem is.

I have not been using TMT so I cannot say it is better.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-14-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

its easily disabled...

i know thas no my point

English Is Not My First Language
My HD-DVD/BD Collection

post #15 of 21 Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

its easily disabled...

I think it more of a principle if a company tried to sell you crap like that boicot them.

Personally I'm a big fan of TMT3, much because of their BR-folder playback.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-14-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
It`s MoooooooooLive, Mooooooo )))

My vote goes to TMT3, since it has worked flawlessy for me, except for Avatar, which had that new BD+ protection, even standalone players needed an update.

But i don`t recommend you buy anything. Wait until Splash releases its BD version of the Splash HD Player . Should be out soon, until then you can just reinstall the trial version of TMT3 or PDVD10
post #17 of 21 Old 08-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

It`s MoooooooooLive, Mooooooo )))

My vote goes to TMT3, since it has worked flawlessy for me, except for Avatar, which had that new BD+ protection, even standalone players needed an update.

But i don`t recommend you buy anything. Wait until Splash releases its BD version of the Splash HD Player . Should be out soon, until then you can just reinstall the trial version of TMT3 or PDVD10

My vote goes to TMT3 as always...
TMT3 is back again in the lead since the release of .185...
It plays and bitstreams ANY audio format on BR, plays HD-DVD flawlessly but converts the HD audio on HD-DVD to PCM, and guess what, it plays MKVs without any problem, although the audio from MKV is also converted to PCM.
If your looking to spend and enjoy your money TMT3 is the way to go.

I turned my back on Cyberlink since the release of PDVD9 (also got PDVD7 and 8 licenses) and never going back.

A free choice that also works very well is the MPC-HC + FFDShow combination. The only shortcoming is HD-DVD not being supported.

Just get an ATI5XXX series card and you're all set.

PDVD is a waste of money and time...
post #18 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

sorry it took so long to get back....work and technical problems
After a complete uninstall and reinstall of powerdvd9.

I have a big problem with this program and my htpc.
Win7 32 bit and an ATI 4830 video card with 10.7 drivers

powerdvd9 trying to play a blu ray disk. VanHelsing, 5th element and starship troppers so far.

does not support playback of this media format.

I went into the bd advisor and it says

graphic card driver 8.753.0.0
video connection type without hdcp

both of these are red

I am playing this to my hdtv thru hdmi cable and not sure what to do.

video connection type without hdcp<<< is this saying that I am trying to play it on a computer monitor.
God I wish all these movie studios would go streight to HELL!!!!
I am tired of playing money and then begging to be able to watch what I pay for.
Now I KNOW why pirates do what they do.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Just to clarify, PowerDVD 9 DOES play BDs in Win7 64bit. I have it, it works. I think the trail version doesn't play BDs though, period.
post #20 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

You really need to just try them all and pick what works best for you and your setup.

I went w/ TMT3, at first I liked the way the UI in PowerDVD 10 seemed more MCE but when I came to actually changing settings I found TMT to actually be better for me both played everything to my satisfaction, WinDVD didn't have 7MC integration so I didn't bother to really use it.

post #21 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page