Ceton Infinitv4 Installed! Pix! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 59 Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ceton Card delivered to the door about 15 minutes ago, installation was a SNAP!

I'm running FIOS' m-card, which previously worked with the ATI card.

What's in the box?
1.) Card
2.) Coax extension/adapter
3.) Mini/Micro case mounting plates *(not used in my instance)
4.) VERY easy to follow instructions.

PROS: 1.)Antenna cable adapter is NOT screw in, and can pop off *(with force) if needed. A nice touch for those who forget to unplug that cable.
2.)Blue indicator Light WILL CHANGE TO RED IF INSTALLED INCORRECTLY!

CONS: M-Card sticks out pretty far, and does not have a locking mechanism. Not a huge deal, but it's a "would have been nice" if it were included.

For those stuck at work and want to get a heads up on reading materials

The user interface and diagnostic is super-simple, and very easy to interpret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 AM

Looks great, congrats!
post #3 of 59 Old 08-12-2010, 10:31 AM

Liked: 14
so you don't have to have a technician show up if you have a cablecard already?
post #4 of 59 Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

CRZYC - Thanks!

rantanamo - I'm getting to that point right now. I previously had an ATI paired and synched, and then sold that to get this. So we'll see what happens. However, that ATI card was "activated" with an installer in the house.

*EDIT* - I do have to call FIOS in order to activate the card. Currently on hold. Will update with details.
post #5 of 59 Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Currently have to leave this on hold until I get back from work.

Updates:

Called Verizon Fios, and told him that my WMC screen says to talk to them to activate the tuner.

His response was to "Re-INIT" the card into the system.

This is supposed to take up to 30 minutes, but I still do not see that the cablecard has been validated in the "CABLECARD" tab at 192.168.200.1.

Regular clear channels work fantastic, still cannot access HD channels.

Time will tell if the re-init is the thing needed to get this off the ground.

-Enjoy!
post #6 of 59 Old 08-12-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Good info, and thank you for posting the install pix.

I hope to get to use this next week. Even though I ordered from Zones before any other vendor was available as an option (3/15/10), it now appears that orders from those latter vendors will be shipped before mine, in direct contrast to the promise from Ceton. Interesting to note that as of today, Ceton removed Zones as a vendor... http://www.cetoncorp.com/buy.php

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #7 of 59 Old 08-12-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just a bit of info on Ceton eliminating Zones as a reseller for this product, posted on TGB:

Quote:

We have removed Zones from our website. Please do not call Cannon or Fluid to ask about this situation as they are being overwhelmed with calls and it will delay them processing and shipping to the first pre-order customers.
Jeremy Hammer
VP Systems Integration
Ceton Corporation

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #8 of 59 Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Good info, and thank you for posting the install pix.

I hope to get to use this next week. Even though I ordered from Zones before any other vendor was available as an option (3/15/10), it now appears that orders from those latter vendors will be shipped before mine, in direct contrast to the promise from Ceton. Interesting to note that as of today, Ceton removed Zones as a vendor... http://www.cetoncorp.com/buy.php

IAM4UK,

I guess I lucked out? I do remember that I ordered within the first hour or two of the posting from Zones, and my Credit card was "checked" for the ~$480 amount that was in error originally.
post #9 of 59 Old 08-12-2010, 08:44 PM

Liked: 147
Yep, I received and installed mine today:

Had to remove it after updating it and proving it worked (in theory) because my FiOS install has not yet happened.

EDIT: I will also say the packing was wonderfully done by Ceton. Zones took their box and tossed it into a standard shipping box with some of that brown paper for packing. FedEx crushed that like the mostly empty container it was. But the Ceton box (shown in the first post) is actually inside another white box, which is inside the brown box. Inside that Ceton box is the card and such AND some foam protection. It was VERY VERY well packed!
post #10 of 59 Old 08-13-2010, 06:27 AM

I'm probably speaking for most of us but... I'm totally jealous!!!
-Jonathan
post #11 of 59 Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Might want to take some canned air to those fans while the case is open!
post #12 of 59 Old 08-13-2010, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Agreed. I'm wondering how well this would fit in a half-height slot.. (ITX type case)
post #13 of 59 Old 08-13-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoxl View Post

Might want to take some canned air to those fans while the case is open!

Yep, I closed it up for now, but am going to get some canned air. I bought this case when I first installed MCE2005...it has seen many changes since then.
post #14 of 59 Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo View Post

Agreed. I'm wondering how well this would fit in a half-height slot.. (ITX type case)

I cannot say, but it comes with a half height bracket.
post #15 of 59 Old 08-14-2010, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Yep, I received and installed mine today:

Had to remove it after updating it and proving it worked (in theory) because my FiOS install has not yet happened.

What exactly did you have to remove to get it to work? I got mine yesterday and I had an M-card sitting around that I picked up on ebay that I plugged into the card until I can get Verizon out to do a proper install. Are you talking about removing the cablecard or what? I'm also on FIOS and I ran it through the update with the latest firmware. Unfortunately, I ran into some glitches with Media Center after updating from 32-bit to 64-bit Win 7 so I'm in the process of reinstalling all of the software again.
post #16 of 59 Old 08-14-2010, 12:12 PM

I only have one free PCIe slot and my FiOS install has not happened yet. I do not have a cablecard to install in it yet so I cannot use it at all.

So out the card came until the FiOS tech shows up...then it goes back in and gets a cablecard.
post #17 of 59 Old 08-14-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Gotcha. I thought had read something about initially installing it with a CableCARD and then pulling the CC to enable it to be used as a clear QAM tuner, which is what I thought you were hinting at.
post #18 of 59 Old 08-15-2010, 07:28 AM

Yes, you definately can do that. You need to CC to do the initial setup right now (that is being worked on by MS and Ceton - hopefully will change in the future), but after that it can be removed.

Sadly, I do not have one to test that with. I opened my Comcast box but no card is in its slot.

As a note, a LOT of MS employees ordered this card, so that bodes well for continued support from MS...provided these employees work in the Media Center division. Most likely they do, though.
post #19 of 59 Old 08-15-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

As a note, a LOT of MS employees ordered this card, so that bodes well for continued support from MS...provided these employees work in the Media Center division. Most likely they do, though.

There isn't a 'Media Center Division' anymore.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/...ices-unit/5023
post #20 of 59 Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update for my FIOS install.

Called fios to have the m-card re-paired (not repaired) and it now works like a champ. Seems like you need to call fios every time you switch tuners *(i went from the ati to this)

Mind you, you still SHOULD get the clearQAM channels, which are the lower SD in the fios lineup. To ensure you're getting the whole kit and kaboodle, if you're signed up for HBOHD, and you can view it, then you've got all your channels coming in.

Note: it did not take more than 2 minutes after the tech said she was "done" that the programming started working the way it should. IF they tell you 30 mins to an hour, THEY'RE DOING THE WRONG SETUP. I went through way too much hold music to find this out the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

What exactly did you have to remove to get it to work? I got mine yesterday and I had an M-card sitting around that I picked up on ebay that I plugged into the card until I can get Verizon out to do a proper install. Are you talking about removing the cablecard or what? I'm also on FIOS and I ran it through the update with the latest firmware. Unfortunately, I ran into some glitches with Media Center after updating from 32-bit to 64-bit Win 7 so I'm in the process of reinstalling all of the software again.

Not sure what he meant about removing it either, but mine worked just fine off the get go.

I'd been putting off using WMC since I used mediaportal previously, and had a multitude of codec issues. Reformatted the pc, and it installs BEAUTIFULLY off a clean install.
post #21 of 59 Old 08-15-2010, 05:03 PM

loving mine. called comcast and updated the host id and voila! Whole install took about 20 minutes including comcast call.
post #22 of 59 Old 08-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Mine is trucking along in the UPS system. Should be here wed. Got a truck roll from cablevision for one of their "professional installations of cablecards" extortion fees scheduled for Thursday
post #23 of 59 Old 08-17-2010, 03:53 AM

Congratulations on your install. What picture quality do you see vs. your old settop or DVR? What else should we know?

Thanks!

James
post #24 of 59 Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4513 View Post

Congratulations on your install. What picture quality do you see vs. your old settop or DVR? What else should we know?

Thanks!

James,

Pic quality is on par with the ATI. Changing channels is by far much slower than the Motorola DVR box from Verizon, but this is to be expected.

According to Verizon... make sure to install the update Ceton has put out for their tuner. Simulcrypt is going to brick ATI tuners on Fios, while this card will continue to receive support as needed. I hope that the rollout is going to be quiet and streamlined.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/16/v...lecard-tuners/
post #25 of 59 Old 08-20-2010, 03:05 PM

Just got FiOS installed today and have the cablecard up and running. It was VERY VERY VERY easy to do. The two hard parts were:

1. The card was a little to far to the side (most likely my mobo and case do not line up perfectly) and the cablecard would not slide in. Easy fix, remove the tuner and slide the card in. The label goes towards the CPU side of the mobo.
2. My mobo is OCUR ready, so it asked me for an OCUR key. I had already grabbed the one from TheGreenButton, so I was ready to put it it. Hard part was I could not copy and paste - it made me manually type it.

The install went smooth, Win7 detected the tuners and the cablecard. The lineup downloaded quickly and everything worked. Pretty simple.

The FiOS install tech was great. He did not know anything about cablecards though. But he did tell me that whenever he has one the homeowner always knows more about them than he does so he steps out of the guy's way and turns into a support tech for him. I was happy to hear it, since I did know far more about HTPCs than he did. He was eager to learn, so I did some impromptu training. Since I also work for Verizon (though in a completely different departement), I am listing that time as interdepartmental team building and training. It will look good on my review.

Sor far I love the card. I no longer have to worry about the HDHomeRun not getting a strong enough ClearQAM tuner to record. No longer have to worry about any of the myriad of little nagging issues when using multiple tuners of different technologies. I had an AverTV 780 analog and digital tuner and the HDHomeRun digital tuner.

I also vastly reduced the clutter behind the entertainment center. I removed several coax cables, several power cords, and an ethernet cable. Going to FiOS also allowed me to combine my cable modem and wireless router into only one FiOS box...which is actually quite small and nice looking.

So far I am quite happy with the move to the Ceton InfiniTV4. It also allows me to get all my HD channels directly into the PC in full HD goodness, rather than downgraded to analog via my cablebox. FiOS is also cheaper and faster than my old Comcast service.

It is faster tuning for me than with my AverTV to IR repeater to Cablebox setup. It is about twice as fast...or as my wife says "oh, that is much better".
post #26 of 59 Old 08-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

2. My mobo is OCUR ready, so it asked me for an OCUR key. I had already grabbed the one from TheGreenButton, so I was ready to put it in.

That's strange. You should not have been prompted for a product key. Did you use the Digital Cable Advisor tool? That eliminates the need to enter a key.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #27 of 59 Old 08-21-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallica View Post

That's strange. You should not have been prompted for a product key. Did you use the Digital Cable Advisor tool? That eliminates the need to enter a key.

True, but you have to actually RUN the Digital Cable Advisor tool. A new install of win7 will not even have the DCA tool for a few hours, too.
post #28 of 59 Old 08-21-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallica View Post

It doesn't if your bios already has the OCUR table populated. Many Asus boards do so the DCA doesn't work.
post #29 of 59 Old 08-21-2010, 08:27 AM

Liked: 15
If you are going from an ATI DCT to the Ceton and your cable company is freaking out and they want to roll a truck... Call back and speak to another tech. Tell them you replaced your Tivo HD under warranty. This will put them in the mode that allows you to read the host ID to them. Time Warner wanted the serial # from the card, the Host ID and the cablecard ID. Once I gave them this info, they hit my card again and I was up and running. Install took about 10 minutes. 10 minutes on the phone and I was up and running. Ceton rocks! I haven't had to choose what show not to watch/record yet. Four tuners seems to be perfect for my household.
post #30 of 59 Old 08-21-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

The FiOS install tech was great. He did not know anything about cablecards though. But he did tell me that whenever he has one the homeowner always knows more about them than he does so he steps out of the guy's way and turns into a support tech for him.

This is usually the case and it's what irks me about required truck rolls for CableCards. When I get mine, I'm not going to do a %&#@ thing. If the tech can't get it installed, I'll do it myself and then insist on the installation being free.

I'm not knocking the techs here. If the company is going to require a truck roll, then they need to train the person they are sending. (Not sure if FiOS required a truck roll or you just chose to have one but my cable company does.)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page