Will FiOS TV update kill CableCARD tuners? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using two ATi CableCARD tuners with FiOS TV without incident for a couple of years.

I recently received letter from Verizon indicating that "Verizon will be performing maintenance on its FiOS TV network on or after September 15, 2010, which may impact your ability to use your CableCARD compatible devices to access Verizon's FiOS TV service."

I called Verizon and the support personnel were naturally not able to provide a sufficient level of technical detail to determine what would happen.

They did know that ATi tuners exist and were able to tell me that:
- I may loose my ability to tune channels above 49 (making it effectively useless) and I should wait until "on or after September 15" to see what happens
- this is an FCC-mandated "upgrade"
- I would be offered a set-top box instead (yuck)
- TiVo with CableCARD should not be impacted, but I have to contact TiVo to make sure (I don't have a TiVo, just figured I'd ask)

Anyone have more information or insight concerning this "upgrade" that could completely kill my current bliss?

CJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If this will affect cable cards why wouldn't Tivo be impacted? That makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAthos View Post

I have been using two ATi CableCARD tuners with FiOS TV without incident for a couple of years.

I recently received letter from Verizon indicating that "Verizon will be performing maintenance on its FiOS TV network on or after September 15, 2010, which may impact your ability to use your CableCARD compatible devices to access Verizon's FiOS TV service."

I called Verizon and the support personnel were naturally not able to provide a sufficient level of technical detail to determine what would happen.

They did know that ATi tuners exist and were able to tell me that:
- I may loose my ability to tune channels above 49 (making it effectively useless) and I should wait until "on or after September 15" to see what happens
- this is an FCC-mandated "upgrade"
- I would be offered a set-top box instead (yuck)
- TiVo with CableCARD should not be impacted, but I have to contact TiVo to make sure (I don't have a TiVo, just figured I'd ask)

Anyone have more information or insight concerning this "upgrade" that could completely kill my current bliss?

CJ

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #3 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I suspect they're activating SDV. CableCards as-is would then no longer work and would require a SDV tuning adapter to function again.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 AM

Liked: 150
They are turning on encryption and copy once, etc., flags. If the ATI cannot handle these, then it is game over for the ATI tuner.

From what I have read on TheGreenButton, ATI tuners cannot handle these changes and lose all encrypted content, leaving just the basic channels viewable. The new Ceton InfiniTV4 tuner is able to handle the encryption.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Ah. Thanks for the info. Well, if it just means a nice, new piece of equipment for Daddy, then that wouldn't be so bad.

I don't suppose you have links to relevant GreenButton discussions handy?

Anyone need a couple of ATI DCTs?
post #6 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

They are turning on encryption and copy once, etc., flags. If the ATI cannot handle these, then it is game over for the ATI tuner.

From what I have read on TheGreenButton, ATI tuners cannot handle these changes and lose all encrypted content, leaving just the basic channels viewable. The new Ceton InfiniTV4 tuner is able to handle the encryption.

Is this something Verizon is doing everywhere or just in select markets? I know that the Frontier FIOS systems have the flag turned on but so far it hasn't affected us in Howard Co., MD. I also received the letter from Verizon indicating that they will be performing the update to FIOS in September.

The letter stated that it would probably only affect older devices that use CableCARD and not newer ones, such as the S3 & S4 Tivos. I was more than a bit peeved when I got the letter because I had just received my Ceton CableCARD tuner the day before and was concerned that it would be rendered useless before I ever had a chance to get it set up. I don't believe this to be the case after re-reading the letter. I just called Verizon yesterday afternoon to schedule the CableCARD installation for the Ceton and the CSR never gave any indication that it would cause any problems.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:

I got the same notice in the mail (live in Arlington, VA). I called the number this morning and the woman I spoke to asked what kind of equipment I had. I told her ATI Digital Cable Tuners hooked up to a Windows 7 Media Center PC. She told me that this was on her list of devices that are not compatible and I would have to get standard set top boxes to continue receiving digital cable. I responded that if this was the case, I would be cancelling my service and going to Comcast

Now, I take this information with a grain of salt, since I know how clueless these VZ Reps can be (really any Cable Co rep when dealing with CableCARD) so I'm going to sit and wait it out to see what happens when they do the network upgrade.

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/8...px?PageIndex=6

Quote:

I think this part of their "upgrade" which will require pairing, may impact S-cards in cableCARD ready TV sets (Like my JVC) and will introduce the CCI flags. They've been rolling this out in various parts of their footprint. This shouldn't impact your Ceton tuner, but be sure to download the firmware upgrade for FiOS.

John

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/8...px?PageIndex=5
post #8 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAthos View Post

Ah. Thanks for the info. Well, if it just means a nice, new piece of equipment for Daddy, then that wouldn't be so bad.

Good luck finding an InfiniTV 4. Unless you're willing to pay $600+ on ebay, they have a projected backorder of at least mid-September.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Is this something Verizon is doing everywhere or just in select markets? I know that the Frontier FIOS systems have the flag turned on but so far it hasn't affected us in Howard Co., MD. I also received the letter from Verizon indicating that they will be performing the update to FIOS in September.

The letter stated that it would probably only affect older devices that use CableCARD and not newer ones, such as the S3 & S4 Tivos. I was more than a bit peeved when I got the letter because I had just received my Ceton CableCARD tuner the day before and was concerned that it would be rendered useless before I ever had a chance to get it set up. I don't believe this to be the case after re-reading the letter. I just called Verizon yesterday afternoon to schedule the CableCARD installation for the Ceton and the CSR never gave any indication that it would cause any problems.

Make sure you do the bios update for the Ceton card. You can find it here:

http://www.cetoncorp.com/infinitv/support/

Halfway down the page is the following:

FiOS Customers Only - Required Update

It adds the ability to deal with the changes being put into place.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page