Copy Protected Recording Not Marked as Copy Protected!? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-16-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to convert a recorded program file from WTV format to DVR-MS format. I am unable to convert the file because it seems to be copy protected.

However, the file is not marked as "Copy Protected" in Windows Media Center AND if I look at the Properties of the file, the Copy Protected field says NO.

Can anyone provide an explanation?

HTPC Enthusiast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-16-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The only files that quickly convert from WTV to DVR-MS files are those recoreded in MPEG2 format. MPEG4/H.264 WTV files do not convert without using a video file format conversion program.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-16-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The only files that quickly convert from WTV to DVR-MS files are those recorded in MPEG2 format. MPEG4/H.264 WTV files do not convert without using a video file format conversion program.

Thanks for the tip. What determines the format a show is recorded in? I looked at the properties of the file and I do not see MPEG4 listed anywhere.

Can you recommend a video file format converter?

HTPC Enthusiast
post #4 of 12 Old 08-16-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hard to say, but MPEG2 shows will be between 5.5-7GB per hour.

H.264 should be half that.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-17-2010, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

WMC7 will record shows in H.264 if you are using the Hauppage HD-PVR. In my case, I am using the ATI DCT, so I am almost positive all of my recordings are MPEG-2. I have never had a problem converting WTV files to DVR-MS, unless the files were marked as copy protected.

Also, I have been recording episodes for particular series. All previous episodes have converted from WTV to DVR-MS without issue. The file size for a one hour show is 3.3GB. However, this week's episode is the one that won't convert.

Any other ideas?

HTPC Enthusiast
post #6 of 12 Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Some cable companies have recentlystarted tranmitting HD programs in H.264(MPEG4) instead of in MPEG2 to conserve bandwith.
Win7 MC can decode either format.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After some more testing, I determined that the file is clearly copy protected.

I tried playing the WTV file in Windows Media Player on the same system it was recorded on. I receive an error that I do not have the appropriate rights. I also copied the file to another computer, tried playing it, and received the same error.

However, in WMC, the copy protected warning on the bottom of the episode summary screen is not present AND if I look at the file properties screen, the file is not marked as protected.

All other episodes I recorded in this series were not copy protected. Why was this file copy protected, but not marked as such?

HTPC Enthusiast
post #8 of 12 Old 08-19-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bump.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #9 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Have you asked your cable company why the copy protected that one episode? They probably just made a mistake.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Have you asked your cable company why the copy protected that one episode? They probably just made a mistake.

I have not asked my cable provider, but yes, it was probably a mistake because I recorded a rerun of the episode, and that was protected too.

I am more concerned with why the file is not marked properly as copy protected. Any ideas?

HTPC Enthusiast
post #11 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure it has copy once flag on it and that's why you could record it and can play it on the machine you recorded it on but not on anything else (unless you use an extender). What's flagged as copy freely/once/prohibited varies from cable provider (some mark things that really shouldn't be as once/prohibited and others mark things that should as freely). You should expect things from local channels(ones you should be able to get for free) to all be copy freely (except for a few special cases like major sporting events) pay channels to be copy once and premium channels like HBO copy prohibited, but that's not always the case.

post #12 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 View Post

I'm sure it has copy once flag on it and that's why you could record it and can play it on the machine you recorded it on but not on anything else (unless you use an extender). What's flagged as copy freely/once/prohibited varies from cable provider (some mark things that really shouldn't be as once/prohibited and others mark things that should as freely). You should expect things from local channels(ones you should be able to get for free) to all be copy freely (except for a few special cases like major sporting events) pay channels to be copy once and premium channels like HBO copy prohibited, but that's not always the case.

Yes, I know. Mostly everything I record is marked as copy-freely. Except for anything on the Palladia or Nat Geo channel.

I am trying to figure out why this file is not properly marked as copy protected.

HTPC Enthusiast
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page