Win 7 MC + 360 Extender + MKV... Best Configuration? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all:
I realize it may seem as if this ha been covered before, but most of my searching seems to come up with incomplete information or a spattering of things that kinda work for some people, but fail for others.

My goal is to get mkvs to play without transcoding on the 360 and maintain Dolby/DTS passthrough on the HTPC. I don't care about Dolby/DTS on the extender. I realize the divx mkv splitter is the only option available to achieve this, however the lack of out of the box ac3 passthrough is where the bugs start to appear.

I've read through Greeneyz guide for general configuration of codecs and Win 7 MC, but it does not take into account the use of an extender which is where my issues pop up.

Configurations I've tried:
Codec Configuration 360- MKV w/ DTS 360- MKV w/ Dolby MC- MKV w/DTS MC- MKV w/Dolby
Divx MKV Splitter Video OK, Stereo Audio Video OK, Stereo Audio Video OK, Stereo Audio Video OK, Stereo Audio
Divx MKV + AC3 Filter Video OK, Stereo Audio Video OK, Stereo Audio Video OK, Stereo Audio (DTS in Media Player) Video OK, Stereo Audio (Dolby in Media Player)
Divx MKV + Haali MKV NO Video, Codec Error Video OK, Stereo Audio Video OK, DTS Audio Video OK, Dolby Audio
Divx MKV + Haali MKV + FFDShow Audio NO Video, NO Audio NO Video, NO Audio NO Video, NO Audio NO Video, NO Audio

The last configuration was one suggested by someone on another forum. Obviously it didn't work out well for me. The Divx + Haali combo is pretty close, but I need to be able to play MKV with DTS on the 360 even if it's muxed into stereo.

So basically my hope is that someone has this working perfectly that can describe the exact steps they took to get there. I've spent a bunch of time thus far without garnering any consistent results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Have you tried DivX splitter + ffdshow (without haali) ?
post #3 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Have you tried DivX splitter + ffdshow (without haali) ?

Nope. Haven't tried that yet. How should I install ffdshow though? Just use the default installer settings or only install the audio side of things?
post #4 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz64 View Post

My goal is to get mkvs to play without transcoding on the 360 and maintain Dolby/DTS passthrough on the HTPC. I don't care about Dolby/DTS on the extender. I realize the divx mkv splitter is the only option available to achieve this, however the lack of out of the box ac3 passthrough is where the bugs start to appear.

try installing shark007 codec's.

if nothing else, use mpc-hc to play on the htpc which has its own decoders. so effectively using shark for extender and mpc-hc for hptc.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles139 View Post

try installing shark007 codec's.

if nothing else, use mpc-hc to play on the htpc which has its own decoders. so effectively using shark for extender and mpc-hc for hptc.

Tried that using GreenEyez guide. Everything works great on the HTPC, but mkv looks like crap on the extender. From what I can find the only way to get high quality mkv on the extender is with the divx mkv splitter. I just need to get the audio sorted out.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Tried that using GreenEyez guide.

remove all other codecs. Haali, DivX.. everything.
Try a default installation (full install) of the Shark007 software without any deviation.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-19-2010, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Tried that using GreenEyez guide. Everything works great on the HTPC, but mkv looks like crap on the extender. From what I can find the only way to get high quality mkv on the extender is with the divx mkv splitter. I just need to get the audio sorted out.

That`s because my guide disables the DivX MKV codec. Reinstall the Shark Pack but do not disable the DivX MKV extender.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-19-2010, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

I suppose I should have been a little more clear... I was using a slightly modified version of GreenEyez configuration with Divx MKV installed although everytime I enabled it in the settings I get black bars on the sides of my video and no AC3 passthrough, just stereo when using MC.

I have not yet tried a full install of Sharks pack with his recommended settings, I guess that's next on my list. Thanks for the suggestions so far.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-19-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

with Divx MKV installed although everytime I enabled it in the settings I get black bars on the sides of my video and no AC3 passthrough, just stereo when using MC.

This anomoly caused by the DivX MKV splitter during Media Center playback is why users convinced me to include the DivX splitter in my distribution. You can easily choose to enable it for the xbox360 or disable it for playback in Media Center with a single click.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-19-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

This anomoly caused by the DivX MKV splitter during Media Center playback is why users convinced me to include the DivX splitter in my distribution. You can easily choose to enable it for the xbox360 or disable it for playback in Media Center with a single click.

This doesn't allow for usage of an extender and HTPC at the same time and requires navigating away from the MC interface. All negatives for me.

I'm looking for a "set it and forget it" type solution where only a remote is needed to operate things. It would nice if there was a way to keep the divx mkv splitter enabled for the extender, but have MC use ffdshow for playback. Doesn't seem possible though.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-30-2010, 01:18 PM

Mezz64 any luck figuring this out? I am trying to do the same thing. Mkvs to play without transcoding on the 360 and maintain Dolby/DTS/DTS-HD and TrueHD passthrough on the HTPC with 1080p. Heck if I could do it with Transcoding I would like that also. I haven't found a good guide for Extenders. GreenEyez guide is great for the 7MC on the main TV.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-30-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I gave up for the time being and ended up going back to a minimal Shark configuration via GreenEyez guide.

I got things to work via Shark by disabling a bunch of the built in Microsoft video and audio decoders plus windows media foundation, but I have a feeling that will all break live tv when I finally get my Ceton card.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Mezz,

How are you creating your MKVs? I am trying to convert all my old HD-DVDs and Blurays to a format that I can play on my HTPC and Xbox360 Extender while still retaining the HD Audio for the HTPC and AC3 on the Xbox 360. Tried using MakeMKV and some other tools but everything still ends up with too high a bit-rate for the Xbox360 to play. I haven't really found a good guide either. Most of them are a couple of years old. Any one have any more recent info or processes on how to do this. What is the best format for the Xbox360 anyway when using it as a extender?

My network is Cat-6 with a linksys layer3 gigbit switch wiht an Intel Pro1000 on my WHS server. So I don't think it is the network since the HTPC plays the MKVs fine.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-20-2011, 09:01 AM

Liked: 11
Hey, I'm not sure if you are still messing with this, but this is what I use and it works great:
Install DIVX Codec Pack to allow MKV's to be recognized by 360/WMC
Install Haali MKV Splitter
Install AC3 Filter Lite

This combo has allowed me to watch Dolby 5.1 and DTS movies using the 360 as an extender.

**One thing to keep in mind: Whenever you update your DIVX software, you have to reinstall the Haali MKV Splitter after the upgrade.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page