Purple line occasionally at the bottom of mpc-hc when playing vc1 mkv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-18-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm having trouble with my rip of Supernatural Season 4 on blu ray. I ripped Supernatural into individual mkvs, with vc1 video and ac3 audio inside of each; and subtitles in IDX. I used AnyDVD HD and Another Eac3to Gui to do the ripping.

In episode 6, Yellow Fever, there is a purple line at the bottom of mpc-hc during certain scenes. In the episode, Sam is fighting with a ghost, and it seams like multiple cameras were used to film the scene. The purple line will appear, and continue to be there, until the scene shifts to a different camera angle. Then the purple line will be gone. Then the camera angle shifts again, and the purple line is back. During the episode, the purple line is only present during this fight scene. I remember the purple line appearing in 1 or 2 other episodes, before episode 6. But it doesn't appear in every episode. And it only seams to effect mkvs with vc1 video.

I haven't encountered this problem with mkvs with h264 video. I have the movie Watchmen as an vc1 mkv, but I didn't encounter the purple line in that movie. I have tested the episode in VLC player, and the purple line is also present there.

I have my system setup using GreenEyez' HTPC Software GUIDE for Windows 7 Media Center. I used the "MKV Playback using MPC-HC as an external player" part of the guide. I don't have hali media splitter installed; but otherwise I followed GreenEyez' guide. As per his guide, I'm using FFdshow as my preferred audio decoder in mpc-hc.

Any help figuring out how to get rid of the purple line, would be greatly appreciated.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-19-2010, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

I should also point out that my pc has a i7 930 cpu, an ATI 5870 graphics card, 6 GB of DDR3 memory, and an Asus P6X58D-E motherboard. I have an hdmi cable running from my graphics card to my receiver, a Denon AVR 3808ci. From the receiver, I have an hdmi cable running to my TV, a Samsung LN-T4071 LCD.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
post #3 of 6 Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
First off Supernatural rocks!!!

Can you confirm if you are using one of the latest MPC HC builds?

In MPC HC under the Internal Filters section do you have VC-1(ffmpeg) unchecked? One other option, try using another decoder such as MS DTV Video Decoder and see if you get the same purple line. The caveat with this decoder is that it does not support DXVA in VC-1. Your core i7 has enough juice to pick up the slack, and really it is just to test it the purple line sticks. If I get a minutes I will test out that episode of supernatural in MPC HC as well (I have an mkv from the original BR disk as well). Do you have any specific time codes when you see the purple line?

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4 of 6 Old 08-19-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
IN 1.78:1 and 1.85:1 movies I get a line at the bottom as well. About 10-12 pixels. Its not purple, but its damn annoying. 2.35:1 movies play perfectly fine. Any ideas on this as well?

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #5 of 6 Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

First off Supernatural rocks!!!

Can you confirm if you are using one of the latest MPC HC builds?

In MPC HC under the Internal Filters section do you have VC-1(ffmpeg) unchecked? One other option, try using another decoder such as MS DTV Video Decoder and see if you get the same purple line. The caveat with this decoder is that it does not support DXVA in VC-1. Your core i7 has enough juice to pick up the slack, and really it is just to test it the purple line sticks. If I get a minutes I will test out that episode of supernatural in MPC HC as well (I have an mkv from the original BR disk as well). Do you have any specific time codes when you see the purple line?

Thanks for your help dbone. I was starting to give up hope.

I agree, Supernatural does rock. It's such an outstanding show that it's always seemed out of place compared to the rest of the CW's poorly made shows.

My mpc-hc build number is 1.3.2099.0

Under Internal Filters, Transform Filters, I have VC-1(DXVA) and VC-1(FFmpeg) both checked off. Are you saying that I should unckeck VC-1(FFmpeg)? I'm noticing that I have everything checked under the Transform Filters column. But under the Source Filters column, I have everything checked, except Matroska. I'm wondering if that could be the source of my problem. Should I put a check mark next to Matroska? (Edit) Never mind, I just tried everything in the above paragraph, and the purple line remains.

I just tried the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder by going to the External Filters tab, and then added it as a filter. I set it as preferred and set ffdshow audio decoder to "block." The purple line is still there.

Here are the time stamps for when the purple line appears during episode 6, Yellow Fever, of Season 4: 34:41 to 35:00, 35:09 to 35:15, 35:19 to 35:20, etc.

post #6 of 6 Old 08-22-2010, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Bump.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page