HD audio streaming problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok guys, I need help. I've searched the internet and these forums, and nothing seems to work. Essentially, everything works with my setup except for bitstreaming DTS-HD and TrueHD audio. I have an ATI HD 5450 video card, which fully capable of bitstreaming hd audio, and it is connected through HDMI to my Onkyo HT-R380 receiver using HDMI 1.3 cables. The receiver can decode HD formats. Looking at sound properties, I see the max number of channels is 6, and all of the HD audio formats are listed, so it should not be a problem. When I try to watch a blu-ray movie in powerdvd 10, there is no option for outputting non-compressed hd audio, only regular non-decoded audio, which outputs standard DTS or DolbyD. Pausing the movie and checking sound preferences does not help either.

I tried the ffdshow and Media Player Classic method, and it automatically streams PCM audio. I am using the latest version of Catalyst and ATI HDMI driver, not the RealTek one. I am running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit. If anyone can help me it would be great, because I am at a complete loss at this point, short of formatting the damn thing and starting over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post

Ok guys, I need help. I've searched the internet and these forums, and nothing seems to work. Essentially, everything works with my setup except for bitstreaming DTS-HD and TrueHD audio. I have an ATI HD 5450 video card, which fully capable of bitstreaming hd audio, and it is connected through HDMI to my Onkyo HT-R380 receiver using HDMI 1.3 cables. The receiver can decode HD formats. Looking at sound properties, I see the max number of channels is 6, and all of the HD audio formats are listed, so it should not be a problem. When I try to watch a blu-ray movie in powerdvd 10, there is no option for outputting non-compressed hd audio, only regular non-decoded audio, which outputs standard DTS or DolbyD. Pausing the movie and checking sound preferences does not help either.

I tried the ffdshow and Media Player Classic method, and it automatically streams PCM audio. I am using the latest version of Catalyst and ATI HDMI driver, not the RealTek one. I am running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit. If anyone can help me it would be great, because I am at a complete loss at this point, short of formatting the damn thing and starting over.

What about your source? Is the content encoded with True-HD or DTS-Master? Most common audio encouded in MKV file are AC3 or DTS. Check out post #4 on this , http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=18328876 Seems like PDVD can only support AC3/DTS
post #3 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The source is the actual Blu Ray disk, and I make sure that whatever lossless HD audio source available is in fact selected. Neither DTS-HD nor TruHD work.
post #4 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What version of Catalyst are you running?
post #5 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

I believe it is 10.7. I just read today that 10.8 came out, and I'll give it a try when I get home, but I don't really expect much because it should work just as well with 10.7.
post #6 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Suggest you familiarize yourself with the setup of MPC-HC and ffdshow
and then look at the link below

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...7-htpc-part-i/
post #7 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia View Post

Suggest you familiarize yourself with the setup of MPC-HC and ffdshow
and then look at the link below

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...7-htpc-part-i/

This is the exact guide that I followed. No dice. It always defaults to PCM output, even though I selected to enable ffdshow passthrough of the HD audio formats
post #8 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

So, I tried the latest catalyst driver, 10.8. No difference. For example, playing a blu-ray with PowerDVD 10, looking at the information display, Audio is showing DTS-HD Master Audio, at around 5300 bitrate (seems sort of low, right)? Output is "Compressed Data". Receiver is showing regular DTS 5.1 ch, not DTS HD. And PowerDVD does not give me the option to send non-decoded HD audio, only non-decoded regular audio. The primary focus for me is to get Blu-ray HD audio working, I don't really care about ffdshow or MPC. I only did that to test. Seems to me that there is a driver conflict, resulting in PowerDVD not recognizing my HD capable audio card.
post #9 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 06:52 PM

which version of powerdvd are you running? i know i had an issue with one of the earlier versions of pdvd 9 but the update solved the issue.
post #10 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k24accord View Post

which version of powerdvd are you running? i know i had an issue with one of the earlier versions of pdvd 9 but the update solved the issue.

Version 10 Mark II. I think it's the most recent version out there.
post #11 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Are you setting the audio output option while the Bluray disc is playing?
post #12 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Are you setting the audio output option while the Bluray disc is playing?

Well, I tried to. I'll make sure the HD audio track is selected, play the movie, once the first chapter starts, I'll pause it and try to select the non-decoded HD audio output. But that option is not there, only "non-decoded audio." So it's almost like PowerDVD does not recognize the fact that I'm running an HD capable audio card.
post #13 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't pause the movie. Once it's set, you can restart the movie. The setting will stick.
post #14 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Don't pause the movie. Once it's set, you can restart the movie. The setting will stick.

I've tried it every way possible. The setting is simply not there.
post #15 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

In your receiver, go to "Setup Menu -> 10. HDMI Setup -> Audio TV OUT" and make sure it is set to "Off". Power cycle the AVR if you had to change it to Off.
post #16 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

In your receiver, go to "Setup Menu -> 10. HDMI Setup -> Audio TV OUT" and make sure it is set to "Off". Power cycle the AVR if you had to change it to Off.

Thanks, I tried that earlier as well. It is not passing any audio to my TV.
post #17 of 88 Old 08-28-2010, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Try doing an EDID capture and posting it to http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227161

Instructions are in the first post.
post #18 of 88 Old 08-29-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
post #19 of 88 Old 08-29-2010, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

1) Check out "playback devices" config:

2) Check out your AVR's setup.

3) Check out connections:

VGA's HDMI to AVR's HDMI in and AVR's HDMI output to TV's HDMI in

4) Have a look at the instructions here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...34&postcount=1

_ _ _ _

Chronical Tester
post #20 of 88 Old 08-29-2010, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. My configuration looks similar to yours, and AVR setup and connections are correct. I'll try the link that you posted, but primarily what I am concerned with is PowerDVD for Blu-rays, which I don't think uses ffdshow. BTW, I tried the EDID override, and it didn't help.
post #21 of 88 Old 08-29-2010, 12:57 PM

sputnik767 I'm struggling with the same issue as you are except that I have 5770 gpu and onkyo ht-r538 avr. After all I've tried to get hd audio to work (including EDID override)I'm starting to think that it's onkyo ht-rxx avrs that is to blame here. I do not have blu-ray player so I can't test it with my avr and see if it works with non-computer source.
post #22 of 88 Old 08-29-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll try the link that you posted, but primarily what I am concerned with is PowerDVD for Blu-rays, which I don't think uses ffdshow.

It doesn't but if it works with ffdshow then we'll know that it's a PDVD issue and not a setup issue.
post #23 of 88 Old 08-29-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaKam View Post

sputnik767 I'm struggling with the same issue as you are except that I have 5770 gpu and onkyo ht-r538 avr. After all I've tried to get hd audio to work (including EDID override)I'm starting to think that it's onkyo ht-rxx avrs that is to blame here. I do not have blu-ray player so I can't test it with my avr and see if it works with non-computer source.

I was actually beginning to feel the same way. I know that my receiver is capable of decoding HD audio, but I don't have a way to test it. I will try to reformat my PC when I get a chance, because I was running a different audio card before, so who knows, maybe it's causing a conflict. In all honesty, there is no reason why it shouldn't work, so I'm hoping that my computer is at fault.
post #24 of 88 Old 08-29-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry but you must have missed vladd's previous post. Pls try to read well what he's trying to say.

Chronical Tester
post #25 of 88 Old 08-29-2010, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

Sorry but you must have missed vladd's previous post. Pls try to read well what he's trying to say.

I did miss it actually, our posts were very close to each other time-wise, so he posted while I was replying to the other one. I will definitely look at ffdshow when I have the time, to determine whether it's a setup or PDVD issue. The problem is, I'm in medical school, which keeps me busy beyond belief, so I don't have a lot of time to devote to anything else. But I absolutely appreciate all of the help you guys are giving me and will try all of your suggestions.
post #26 of 88 Old 08-29-2010, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know how anyone in medical school finds time to do anything! Hats off to you.
post #27 of 88 Old 08-29-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't know how anyone in medical school finds time to do anything! Hats off to you.

Thanks. I usually take a 2-hour break between the end of classes and when I go back to the library to study. So that gives me some time to have dinner and mess around. But some people are much smarter than me and have time to do quite a few things, and still do well. One of my friends is a videographer in his spare time, and I have no idea how he does it. All I have tomorrow is an exam, so I should have time afterward to try out some more suggestions that you guys gave me. And I absolutely appreciate all of your help.
post #28 of 88 Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
If it's any consolation to you, I gave up on my 5450 bitstreaming (with a Yamaha VX-663) - and I usually think I know what I'm doing. I built a new HTPC with an i3/h57 setup (with an Onkyo TX-NR5007) and all is well. I've kept the 5450 to try with a new build, since the HTPC I was trying to use it with was long in the tooth (S939, running Vista Ultimate).
post #29 of 88 Old 08-29-2010, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

If it's any consolation to you, I gave up on my 5450 bitstreaming (with a Yamaha VX-663) - and I usually think I know what I'm doing. I built a new HTPC with an i3/h57 setup (with an Onkyo TX-NR5007) and all is well. I've kept the 5450 to try with a new build, since the HTPC I was trying to use it with was long in the tooth (S939, running Vista Ultimate).

Thanks. There are still a few things I can try, but I just don't have the budget to build a new system. If nothing works, I'll just settle for standard DolbyD or DTS, but in theory, it should bitstream with the ATI card, and I know that people have done it. The system I built is an AMD Phenom triple core with the built-in nvidia 8200 HDMI. I suspect that it may have caused a conflict (even though I disabled it). If nothing else, I'll reformat with all of the on-board stuff disabled, and see what happens. But this has been the most problematic build I've ever had, and probably the last time I'll ever go with an AMD cpu. Sometimes saving a few bucks is just not worth it. It just makes no sense that sound properties shows all of the HD audio formats available, yet bitstreaming the HD formats fails. Hell, it could be all of the various codec packs that I've installed, which is why I'm inclined to start over.
post #30 of 88 Old 08-29-2010, 10:41 PM

I tried reformatting (with mobo audio disabled), different versions of ffdshow and mpc-hc, PDVD 9 and 10, TMT3 with the newest update and... still nothing. In mpc-hc I get only silence and in PDVD and TMT3 only dts and dd.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page